Should Romulus be destroyed?

Need help with life's little issues? Ask the FSF community!

Should Romulus be destroyed?

Postby onion » Thu May 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi I'm writing an article for my blog, and since I'm not currently a member of a Star Trek game I thought I'd ask this question to people who were!
In the most Star Trek film reboot, Spock travelled back in time saying that he'd seen Romulus get destroyed. Does that mean you've had to mention Romulus get destroyed in your own roleplaying games?
Anyone who answers will get quoted in the article and I'll add a link to your own game/website.

Thanks very much!
onion

Re: Should Romulus be destroyed?

Postby Meushell » Thu May 12, 2011 7:44 pm

I think it really depends on the individual game. I've seen some take advantage of the plot to it's full extent, having a full on plot with the Romulans. I've seem some games just ignore it. I've seen some games simply acknowledge it's destruction and move on.

It should be at least acknowledged if you are trying to follow the canon universe. However, without an actual series to follow, many games just go their own way, or are even taking place in the future, which can make the destruction more difficult to add in.
Stargate Command
Crystal WoodNalada & NikasAvrel & ValakDavet & LyzekTerrah & KeshetTerron & Yagmur
Shattered Universe - USS Firewall
Frida sh'NemesEi'tan th'Nemes
Shattered Universe - Ghost Rider
Elda Jarok
Meushell
Veteran Member

Postby onion » Sun May 22, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks Meushell, can I quote you in the article? It'll be on my blog at http://ongoingworlds.wordpress.com. What games are you a member of? I'll mention them in the article
onion

Postby Meushell » Sun May 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Sure. As for which games, I'm in one Trek and two-non-Trek games.

Starfleet Delta
Stargate Command
Shayz'renth and Beyond
Stargate Command
Crystal WoodNalada & NikasAvrel & ValakDavet & LyzekTerrah & KeshetTerron & Yagmur
Elda Jarok
Meushell
Veteran Member

Postby Ramsay » Mon May 23, 2011 12:55 pm

One of the wonder full things about Trek is it takes into it's mythology the alternate Time line concept.(In It's most Extreme form the Mirror Universe ) A saving grace for the Romulans
They may not have a World in the cannon one but that does not mean that they don't in another, It also means that if some one wanted they could do a AU Startrek sim Based on Star trek the movie( 2009) with the destruction of Vulcan. A few of the Sims are spared the devastation of Romulus thanks too there timing taking place before TNG.
If one wanted too add in the end of Romulus One, fallow the Star trek Count down Comics it goes int more details regarding the Romulan Apocalypse, However it, Star trek(2009) are also linked too Star trek Online.
Lt. Carson Irvine Walker US Army SG4, Stargate Command.
Staff Sergeant Maddison Howell USAF SG5, Stargate Command, Delta Fleet
Ramsay
Veteran Member

Postby Meushell » Mon May 23, 2011 11:35 pm

I believe some sims are based on the new movie. Don't know if they lasted, but I know they existed at one point. Very popular right after that movie came out.
Stargate Command
Elda Jarok
Meushell
Veteran Member

Postby The Writer » Thu May 26, 2011 12:32 pm

:whistles: Season One's story in Star Trek Eternity is built on the destruction of Romulus and the animosity between the Federation and the Romulian loyalist, what are called in the story, "The Followers of Nero." We have a lot of tie ins with the movie but mostly we work off of the Star Trek series Countdown, which our story goes a bit beyond that premise. We also kind of dive into Follower Technology, the merging of Romulan and Borg re-engineering, the kind you see in Nero's ship (which we ALSO have).

:lol: EVENTUALLY, we will end the season, we are actually in the final bits of our last episode. Finishing up the war against the Followers in an epic ship to ship battle played in the backdrop of the astroid field that used to be Romulus and Remus.

..., I think we are going strong :D at least, I'd like to think we are.
~Gabriel "The Writer" Logan
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby FSF Hawg » Thu May 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Ramsay wrote:However it, Star trek(2009) are also linked too Star trek Online.

Pretty sure the makers of STO said it was in the original timeline, and would not be using anything from the most recent movie.
FSF Hawg
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Josh » Thu May 26, 2011 7:28 pm

FSF Hawg wrote:
Ramsay wrote:However it, Star trek(2009) are also linked too Star trek Online.

Pretty sure the makers of STO said it was in the original timeline, and would not be using anything from the most recent movie.

STO is in the original timeline. As such, there is no reference to anything from the new movie outside of the destruction of Romulus and the events in the original universe.
Detective Jonathan Smith -- Torchwood: United Front
FSF Communication Director
FSF IRCop / Net Admin
Former Delta Fleet CO
Previous Notable Characters:
Fleet Captain Gregory Talus
--CO USS Providence (Sim Retired, The Story Continues...)
Personal: Site | Twitter
FSF Josh
FSF Host (OO*)

Romulus destroyed? GREAT SCOTT!

Postby Ramsay » Fri May 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Perhaps I am Off but I thought STO was The original "Cannon" ( Or at least a close Approximation there in) Time line After Spock and Nero got launched into the Past creating the "New Cannon" Timeline.
ergo They are linked The Events of The Destruction of Romulus being the The Past for Spock and Nero who Created via there actions the New Time line. also Setting in place the STO timeline. Protected and still on going due too The Alternate universe concept. God I hate paradoxes.
If you want a Explanation Watch Back too the Future 2 Where in the Character of Dr. E Brown gives one that really Heavy.
Me I am Taking a Aspirin and a nap thanks too that one.
Ramsay
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Bri » Fri May 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Here's a link to STO's explanation:

http://www.startrekonline.com/timeline-alternate

Something to consider and possibly make your head hurt more... since Vulcan is destroyed in the new timeline, and they're the ones that came up with Red Matter, it's highly likely that when 2387 rolls around in the new timeline, the Hobus Supernova is going to actually wipe out the entire galaxy unless they can find another means to stopping it. Something to consider for sims depending which timeline they go off of. For the Akira, we were rebooting at the time, so it was relatively easy to jump to 2390 and go from the events of Romulus being destroyed and stuff like that. It makes it fresh, and gives a certain degree of freedom.
Captain Sorjei ch'Thalev, Commanding Officer, USS Akira-C Image
Commodore Brian O'Neil, Director, Special Projects Image
Epsilon Fleet Executive Officer; Awards Director
"You assume I give a damn. That's cute" - Commander Shepard, Mass Effect
"I have faith in nothing but this - when the universe collapses and dies, there will be three survivors - Tyr Anasazi, the cockroaches, and Dylan Hunt, trying to save the cockroaches." - Tyr Anasazi
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Re: Romulus destroyed? GREAT SCOTT!

Postby FSF Josh » Sat May 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Ramsay wrote:Perhaps I am Off but I thought STO was The original "Cannon" ( Or at least a close Approximation there in) Time line After Spock and Nero got launched into the Past creating the "New Cannon" Timeline.
ergo They are linked The Events of The Destruction of Romulus being the The Past for Spock and Nero who Created via there actions the New Time line. also Setting in place the STO timeline. Protected and still on going due too The Alternate universe concept. God I hate paradoxes.
If you want a Explanation Watch Back too the Future 2 Where in the Character of Dr. E Brown gives one that really Heavy.
Me I am Taking a Aspirin and a nap thanks too that one.

That's what I said. :) Bri's link helps clear that up better.
Detective Jonathan Smith -- Torchwood: United Front
FSF Communication Director
FSF IRCop / Net Admin
Former Delta Fleet CO
Previous Notable Characters:
Fleet Captain Gregory Talus
--CO USS Providence (Sim Retired, The Story Continues...)
Personal: Site | Twitter
FSF Josh
FSF Host (OO*)

Postby JohnEtti » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:24 pm

I know the USS Deliverance is currently running a very well designed AU Vulcan destroyed universe. In these Ideas, because the vulcan race did survive and had TOS Spock to help them, they were still able to create Red matter and also thanks to Spock's knowledge evacuate Romulous to another planet before the implosion to prevent such a strong loss of life. This has then changed the entire balance of power in the quadrents and I believe Falk explains it best through the sim. Stop by and check us out... Weds Night 830 east.
Image Jonathan Etti - Security Officer - Aten Prime Colony - Fringe Space
JohnEtti

Postby FSF Bri » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Spock wouldn't really know how to make Red Matter, and it still requires a degree of technological advancement. As for evacuating Romulus, the reason so many people died on Romulus is because the government refused to evacuate them for the most part until the last minute. I'm curious how any sim decides to deal with this issue. And... also knowing what the cause of the drastically inflated effects of the Hobus supernova were is pretty interesting for anyone that knows. :) Completely preventable.
Captain Sorjei ch'Thalev, Commanding Officer, USS Akira-C Image
Commodore Brian O'Neil, Director, Special Projects Image
Epsilon Fleet Executive Officer; Awards Director
"You assume I give a damn. That's cute" - Commander Shepard, Mass Effect
"I have faith in nothing but this - when the universe collapses and dies, there will be three survivors - Tyr Anasazi, the cockroaches, and Dylan Hunt, trying to save the cockroaches." - Tyr Anasazi
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Esrom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 pm

And If Vulcan is destroyed the Vulcan Science Academy won't be there to commission the ship either
FSF ESROM
GM: ISS TYRANNY * USS Cadecus/USS Stagazer SFOL * USS Phoenix
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby Ramsay » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:08 pm

There were Survivors, Who could have then founded a new Vulcan with a New Vulcan Science Academy....
OR then again We could just leave it at A paradox...
Mind you the thing about the Death of Romulus is it's was weird. A Supernova's effects Should have taken years too get too Romulus But Hobus took days part of the reason why it's a plot point for STO.
ASPIRIN PLEASE!
Ramsay
Veteran Member

Postby FSF EBK » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:05 pm

I'm in 2387 right now with Indy and we're pretty much ignoring it
FSF EBK
Retired Host

Commanding Officer - U.S.S Independence (Ret)
"Don't be a great man just be a man. Let history make its own judgments"
-Dr. Zephram Cochrane 2073
FSF EBK
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Merlin » Sun May 06, 2012 12:47 am

In my opinion it really depends on the time frame that your simulation is in.
FSF Merlin / Host / FSF IRCop / R & D Advisor / Training Director / Acting Communications Director / Captain Merlin - Commanding Officer - USS Atlantis / Captain Merlin - Commanding Officer - USS Phoenix / Admiral Merlin - Personnel Director - Starbase 35
FSF Merlin
FSF Host (****)

Postby FSF EBK » Sat May 12, 2012 1:11 pm

See that's just it. Under the "normal" timeline, Romulus is destroyed, but if you use a timeline where it isn't destroyed, then you kinda need to change history going all the way back to the attack on the USS Kelvin...but that was only because Nero entered the blackhole...so if it wasn't destroyed...he'd have never gone back in time....

My head hurts thinking about the paradoxes
FSF EBK
Retired Host

Commanding Officer - U.S.S Independence (Ret)
"Don't be a great man just be a man. Let history make its own judgments"
-Dr. Zephram Cochrane 2073
FSF EBK
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Who » Mon May 14, 2012 6:43 pm

That's the fun of alternate timelines.
FSF Who
FSF CoO || Space Fleet FCO || GM: Star Wars: Paragon || GM: Star Wars: Shadow Squadron
FSF Who
FSF Host (OO****)

Next

Return to Advice