IRC Issues

If the FSF sites are ever unavailable, please check our help site - which is hosted on a different server - at help.simming.net. It is recommended that you bookmark this site for emergencies. And if you need help with something that is not covered on the Help site, please post it here and someone will typically get back to you within 24 hours!

IRC Issues

Postby FSF Bri » Thu May 15, 2014 9:27 am

I don't like to admit when I have trouble with things, but this IRC thing is upsetting me. For the past week now, I've been having connection issues getting to the server. I use Pidgin, but I haven't been able to connect nearly at all during that time using it. I have been able to connect to other IRC servers though perfectly fine, it's just the FSF one. For some reason, my password I use to authenticate is also not working, and I couldn't find any command in the help to reset it. Also, the command line in the initial window when you access the server is wrong for identification, it has a "/msg" which doesn't work, you have to do "/nickserv..."

Did anything change in the last month that would cause me these issues, or is it just me?
Captain Sorjei ch'Thalev, Commanding Officer, USS Akira-C Image
Commodore Brian O'Neil, Director, Special Projects Image
Epsilon Fleet Executive Officer; Awards Director
"You assume I give a damn. That's cute" - Commander Shepard, Mass Effect
"I have faith in nothing but this - when the universe collapses and dies, there will be three survivors - Tyr Anasazi, the cockroaches, and Dylan Hunt, trying to save the cockroaches." - Tyr Anasazi
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Re: IRC Issues

Postby FSF Who » Fri May 16, 2014 3:57 pm

I just gave a test using both pidgin (2.10.6) and mIRC, didn't have either of the issues either way. What are the settings you're using?
FSF Who
FSF CoO || Space Fleet FCO || GM: Star Wars: Paragon || GM: Star Wars: Shadow Squadron
FSF Who
FSF Host (OO****)

Postby FSF Josh » Mon May 19, 2014 4:39 pm

I've not heard of this before now. Are you still having this issue?
Detective Jonathan Smith -- Torchwood: United Front
FSF Communication Director
FSF IRCop / Net Admin
Former Delta Fleet CO
Previous Notable Characters:
Fleet Captain Gregory Talus
--CO USS Providence (Sim Retired, The Story Continues...)
Personal: Site | Twitter
FSF Josh
FSF Host (OO*)

Postby FSF Bri » Tue May 20, 2014 5:44 pm

I won't be able to check until Friday, so I'll let you know then.
"I have faith in nothing but this - when the universe collapses and dies, there will be three survivors - Tyr Anasazi, the cockroaches, and Dylan Hunt, trying to save the cockroaches." - Tyr Anasazi
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Ward » Thu May 22, 2014 4:24 pm

I've had intermittent problems as of late connecting to the IRC server. I use IceChat and I haven't had problems until just recently.
Chief Logistics Officer
FSF Ward
FSF Host (****)

Postby FSF Bri » Thu May 22, 2014 8:37 pm

I had the same issue again today... but then after being logged in on Pidgin for 6 hours or so, it randomly connected to the IRC server successfully. I don't think it's the client, because when I initially signed on, there is another IRC server that I went to automatically and it worked perfectly, no issues at all. I don't know if it's related, but when I successfully logged in to the FSF server, the Merlin bot wasn't there, and I think the last time it worked successfully, the same was true then. Could be a coincidence though, but that's the only thing I see that's different.
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Bri » Sat May 24, 2014 1:11 pm

So yesterday, I had no issues at all. I logged onto Pidgin, went right into the FSF room, good to go. Today, same thing, no issue... until a little later in the morning, I logged back in and it would not reconnect to the server. It still isn't actually. So I don't know what's going on. I have to believe it's the IRC server itself or I have a wrong setting somewhere... but if it's on my end, I don't know what it could be since it was working perfect just this morning.
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Josh » Tue May 27, 2014 2:17 pm

I've not had a chance to check, sadly. I've not gotten any notifications from our server hosts of any issues, though.
Detective Jonathan Smith -- Torchwood: United Front
FSF Communication Director
FSF IRCop / Net Admin
Former Delta Fleet CO
Previous Notable Characters:
Fleet Captain Gregory Talus
--CO USS Providence (Sim Retired, The Story Continues...)
Personal: Site | Twitter
FSF Josh
FSF Host (OO*)

Postby FSF Tommy » Wed May 28, 2014 6:26 pm

I don't see any issues going on in the past couple of weeks logs wise, I should be online quite a lot this upcoming weekend, I'll try to catch you online so we can work this out.
Tom Leyton
FSF Website Director
FSF IRC Team
FSF Tommy
FSF Host (OO*)

Postby FSF Merlin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:46 pm

I have been receiving quite a few complaints as of late that the Mibbit interface is problematic in letting people log in as well as a few reports of ICECHAT not getting in.

I have even experienced a bit of trouble on ICECHAT but I just let it keep doing its retry process and eventually it gets thhrough.

I am suspecting that it is a network problem as opposed to a server problem.
FSF Merlin / Host / FSF IRCop / R & D Advisor / Training Director / Acting Communications Director / Captain Merlin - Commanding Officer - USS Atlantis / Captain Merlin - Commanding Officer - USS Phoenix / Admiral Merlin - Personnel Director - Starbase 35
FSF Merlin
FSF Host (****)

Postby FSF Bri » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:11 pm

Mibbit usually is my best odds of getting in actually. My Pidgin client has about a 30% success rate each time I log in to it for actually making it into the FSF server. It can't be the client I don't think, as I routinely connect to Quakenet without fail every single time I log in. Unless my server or proxy settings are configured wrong in the client... which is possible, they're mostly defaults... that is the only thing I can think of on my end.

I go to one sim on IRC and usually just sit in the FSF room otherwise. I usually access the sim through Mibbit anyway, so it's not really a major issue for me personally, but if our IRC server or service or network or whatever else is unstable and unreliable, that is a major problem that needs to addressed very quickly. We have many sims that use it as their primary venue, and the last thing they should be worrying about is whether or not IRC is going to work the night they're trying to get into it.
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Cassiopeia » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:20 pm

As of late, I have had problems as well getting into the rooms through IceChat. I had no problems for awhile and all of a sudden, it just doesn't want to connect so I don't know what is going on. But just figured I would throw my two sense in since it is currently being discussed. And as for just letting it sit there trying to get through, we shouldn't have to have that happen. It should just be an instant connect. So I don't if it's something bigger that we just haven't discovered yet.
Trek Game Advisor; Captain Casey Bryant - Shattered Universe (GM2); Lt. Cmdr. Isabelle Boudreaux - USS Firewall (GM2)
FSF Cassiopeia
FSF Host (O)

Postby FSF Merlin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:17 pm

Next time you are having problems getting a connect, see if I am actually around. If I am not, if you could give me a time frame you were having problems I can look and see if something was going on at that time.
FSF Merlin / Host / FSF IRCop / R & D Advisor / Training Director / Acting Communications Director / Captain Merlin - Commanding Officer - USS Atlantis / Captain Merlin - Commanding Officer - USS Phoenix / Admiral Merlin - Personnel Director - Starbase 35
FSF Merlin
FSF Host (****)

Postby jhina » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:12 am

Just to note on this if you have continued issues I would recommend using an actual IRC client. Pidgin works but it is just easier in the long run but it really is a preference thing. There is a possibility tat your internet has a connection problem from somewhere within your ISP's network. I have never heard of this problem specifically on the IRC server before but will be on the look out for anyone who has the issue (I actually thought no one was using it anymore). I will be around on the server though if you have further issues and can actually get on intermittently. If you have issues accessing the forums and have problems feel free to shoot me an email.

P.S. If anyone is thinking "Who is this guy" I've worked with Josh and Tommy on the IRC network for years; I technically handle user support but nothing ever happens so I pretty much just idle when the network actually has people on it (I stop often becuase I think no one uses the IRC anymore... I really have to quite doing that).
Joshua Hina (Jhina or RisaXSeph elsewhere on the internet)
FSF/Diaspora IRC Support Admin
IRC Support Blog
jhina

Postby FSF Tommy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Good to see you're around Josh. Stop by more on IRC :)
Tom Leyton
FSF Website Director
FSF IRC Team
FSF Tommy
FSF Host (OO*)

Postby jhina » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:06 pm

FSF Tommy wrote:Good to see you're around Josh. Stop by more on IRC :)

Hi,

Just need to install my IRC client on my new computer. Also another idea came to me for troubleshooting these type of issues. If someone continues to have issues connecting please open start and type "cmd" in the search box (or windows key + r depending on windows version). Once the prompt occurs type "tracert Titan.DiasporaGames.com" (or whichever of the irc links you are connecting too). This will allow people with networking skills to look at the information it spits out and determine where in the connection to the server your having issues. As I said before I could be somewhere between you and the IRC server; this test helps figure out where.
Joshua Hina (Jhina or RisaXSeph elsewhere on the internet)
FSF/Diaspora IRC Support Admin
IRC Support Blog
jhina

Return to Help & Assistance