S03Ep01 Paradox

Where the crew of the Star Trek: Entity sim come to post their in-character posts.

Re: S03Ep01 Paradox

Postby FSF Sail » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:42 am

Capt. Marisol Vreenak
Commanding Officer
USS Hope

Blackthorne's answer seemed more an eruption of disjointed thoughts than a linear account. Then again, what could she expect? It was becoming readily apparent that the man was dead on his feet. However, the rambling account of "fixing the time line" and the presence of another temporal agent, this "Guardian of Forever," were, at the very least, troubling. Her days aboard "Eternity," in the service of the Council's own temporal objectives, had proven nightmarish in themselves. For a moment, Colin Byrne's words echoed in her mind.

".......not a line....not measurable as we do.....it's a tapestry, an intricate weave whose threads can fold back and reconnect in an infinite number of events. Break a thread, change it's course, and the results are certain to be many times greater magnitude than one might wish, for better....or worse."

But Colin was dead. Marisol shook off the memory; there was a protocol to follow here. However, if his story held a grain of truth, a temporal displacement occurring right in the middle of the delicate Ildius initiative was certain to arouse more suspicion from their already wary partners. All around her was a world of eggshells. She'd best tread carefully...

Lt. Blackthorne wrote: "Now that I have addressed your first questions may I ask one of my own? Where I am? Or, when might be just as apt."

"I'll remind all aboard this bridge," she spoke clearly, "that this man's account has not been verified. However, by the articles of the Temporal Prime Directive, each of us is sworn to the utmost silence. We are ordered to exercise extreme caution in dealing with this matter. Lieutenant Blackthorne, as a serving StarFleet officer, you are also bound by these regulations. Until we've confirmed your identity and the veracity of your account, you are under my direct order to maintain silence on anything to do with your alleged temporal displacement. Do you understand?"

<Tag Blackthorne>

"Take him to the brig," Marisol ordered. Turning her gaze to the new arrival once more, her tone softened. "We'll keep you secure, for reasons I can't discuss. Hopefully, this is just temporary. Security will get you a shower, a fresh change of clothes, and something to eat. Our doctor will make a house call to check your health. We'll talk again after you've slept. To answer your questions," she concluded, "you're aboard the Federation starship USS Hope. I'm Capt. Marisol Vreenak. The year is 2398."

<Tag Blackthorne>

The bridge fell silent as security lead Lt. Blackthorne away. "Ops," Marisol spoke, breaking the thick atmosphere. "Any word on CSEC Mahoney?"

"Um, yes," Ops stammered. "He was....indisposed...when the alert went out. His wife...was waiting when we docked...."

"I get the picture," she nodded. During their years of service in Ildius, it had been a private satisfaction to Marisol to note that several cross cultural marriages had occurred.

"He's now on Deck 4, directing the full sweep."

"Maintain yellow alert until he clears us," the captain ordered. "Contact Yeoman Adelaide. Have her report to my ready room at once."

<Tag Adelaide>

"Aye," Ops nodded.

Marisol turned, feeling all eyes upon her as she took measured steps back to the solace of her personal office. Once inside, she took some relief to find Talla still present. "Did you watch?" she asked. The phaser went back to it's place in the top right drawer. "This whole thing......the Hernandez...now this....seems like a really awkward setup....or a distraction," she said upon sitting down. "We've either got some really ham handed Intel going down, or......." the captain paused, lifting her eyes toward her husband. "Regardless, I have to contact the Admiralty. We've got a possible Yellowhammer."

<Tag Vreenak>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby Sonja Kinnunen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Ambassador Talla Vreenak
Ready Room, U.S.S. Hope

Vreenak blinked when Marisol ordered him to remain in the Ready Room. No response was given as she rushed from the room. What could he say? It wasn't the first time she told him to stay somewhere safe. The Peace needed him, or so some would say. Frankly he wasn't altogether smitten with the thought of being indispensable; it restricted his movements far too much. Risks were meant to be taken. In due time.

As he waited, the Ambassador circled around to observe the events on the bridge from a terminal in the Ready Room. Just because he was isolated did not mean he ceased to exist. What he saw wasn't alarming; the use of Yellow Alert, however, drew a pinched brow. Yellow Alert in orbit of Ildius with no discernible cause to the Imperial Vessels in the region. He could already hear the Fleet Commander's terse voice now.

The situation escalated before it showed signs of being defused, thankfully. There'd already be enough to account for without describing a fire fight aboard the Federation's starship -- the original one, anyway. That was not so interesting. What was interesting was what this strange presence had to say for itself. Vreenak listened closely to the monitor. Marisol took charge of the situation and severed any further discussion on the topic -- a prudent move. About as prudent as the Ambassador quietly tapping into the ship's systems and corrupting the recording of what just transpired from the moment the man put down his equipment. Must have activated some sort of jamming device. 'Obviously.'

Some would think there was something to hide -- and they'd be right -- but it was better they think there was something to hide than to know what that something was.

Vreenak drifted away from the monitor after restoring the recording subsystem of the bridge. As his wife entered she quite astutely surmised what he'd been doing in the room. A rhetorical question that Talla didn't respond to immediately. "I see." Talla stepped closer. "'Yellowhammer.' Starfleet has always chosen the most confusing operation names. Creative and effective at times." Think of it... what could Yellowhammer possibly mean to someone that wasn't already aware?

"Captain," despite the serious tone of recent events, the Ambassador reached out to take her hand for a moment, "I'm afraid I missed part of what transpired. Your guest must have activated a jamming device when you had him remove his equipment." A formal statement of ignorance in case there were any official or unofficial listening devices. His eyes should help get across his meaning.

<<Tag Marisol>>
Sonja Kinnunen
Veteran Member

Postby Cassie1708 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:24 am

PO3 Gabriella Adelaide
Yeoman
USS Hope

After the quite brief conversation that gone on in the ready room, Gabriella was dismissed with instructions to come back the following morning. As she walked across the bridge to the turbolift, she was trying to figure out what just happened. She met a few people that seemed very important to Marisol but she didn’t really know what they were talking about and she imagined that she should have been taking notes. Then again, there really hadn’t been time to even start to prepare, it was just supposed to be a quick meet and greet with some instructions but she was thrown right in. Though when she really thought about that, it couldn’t be a bad thing could it?

Gabby had only been in her assigned quarters for a brief moment when the yellow alert sounded across the ship. Naturally, she looked around but then again, it was only yellow, it wasn’t like anyone was shooting at them this moment. She started to unpack her things, figuring that she would be contacted if anything was needed. Gabby had just about finished putting away everything when her comm went off with the call that she didn’t really think that she would get. It was a quick message from OPS informing her that she needed to be at the Captain’s ready room at once. She hit her comm.

“I’ll be right there.” Gabby replied to OPS as she a grabbed a PADD to take notes on and walked out of her quarters.

She walked briskly to the Turbolift and called out “Bridge” as the doors closed and it whisked her up. Mere moments later, the doors reopened and she walked out onto the bridge and to the Captain’s ready room. For the second time that day, she rang the Captain’s chime and hoped that she wasn’t interrupting anything, though this time, she had been called.

<TAG: Marisol>
-------------------------------------------------------
USS John C Stennis, USS Akira, USS Firewall, Shattered Universe, ME:PL
Cassie1708

Postby FSF Sail » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Capt. Marisol Vreenak
Commanding Officer
USS Hope

Talla Vreenak wrote:"I see. Yellowhammer. Starfleet has always chosen the most confusing operation names. Creative and effective at times."

Marisol relaxed her posture. "A bird," she shrugged. "With so many bird names used in ship classes and simple conversation, they had to choose one that wouldn't be just casually mentioned, to avoid confusion." He'd drawn near, taken her hand, offering her no doubts as to the meaning of his next words by the expression within his eyes.

Talla Vreenak wrote:"I'm afraid I missed part of what transpired. Your guest must have activated a jamming device when you had him remove his equipment."

"Possibly," Marisol replied, taking both of Talla's hands as she spoke. "I'll share my report to the Fleet Commander....that should bring you up to speed," she offered. "I've got a yellow alert and a full security sweep for any other intruders, so I can't leave the ship. I also need to get my yeoman started on some legwork to I.D. our new guest. It might be midnight before we change to status green." She pressed forward, her smile teasing beneath brown eyes as she asked, "Would the Ambassador object to spending the night in my quarters?"

<Tag Talla>

The chime sounded. "Come in," Marisol said aloud, offering her husband's hands a last gentle squeeze as the door opened with a quiet whoosh. "Yeoman, our yellow alert was an intruder. He identified himself as Lt. Oscar Blackthorne," she said, offering the antiquated credential. "I need to know what we have on record for that name. Check fleet personnel records and duty assignments for both current and past by that name, up to and beyond the era of this I.D. Also, run a facial recognition search, fleet, civilian, and law enforcement, present day to past one hundred years. I need whatever you have by 0700 tomorrow. If you need me, I'll either be here, or in my quarters after we've green lighted. Do you have any questions?"

<Tag Adelaide>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby thepariaheffect » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Commander Owen Scott
Temporary Commanding Officer, USS Erika Hernandez
Ready Room

After a few tense moments, Owen had realized something important:

If the Hope was dealing with something - anything - important, they weren't going to broadcast it. Certainly not within earshot of the Romulan Fleet, and especially not near a vessel that his former ship's CO regarded as hostile. That meant playing the waiting game.

So much for getting off the Erika Hernandez quickly.

Unfortunately, it wasn't as if he could simply walk off the bridge and go back to his quarters. Not only had he cleaned out his few possessions, but the ship was technically at a state of unannounced alert. Until the Hope stood down, Owen had no intention of stepping away from his post - no matter how long that took. On a brighter note, he was largely sure that's exactly why the Ready Room had been designed.

The Ready Room on a Saber-class starship wasn't much to look at, a small office that wasn't much larger than a closet. It didn't have room for the amenities that, say, a Galaxy-class ship might have, but it was as much of a private haven for the captain of the ship as one could hope. A small desk, a few chairs, and a computer terminal - nothing fancy, but it worked. Given the situation, Owen found it ideal for working out the kinks in his new assignment. To do that, he enlisted the help of Kilkenny - the transporter officer/intelligence handler - to make his life easier.

"Given that nature of your assignment," the intel officer began, "I can't make things too easy on you. I have, however, at least sent a very earnest letter of apology from Starfleet Command about the fact that the ship showed up before her full details were given to fleet command, and insisted that you're here on a mission of good will. More importantly, I've informed my counterparts in the Tal Shiar that the Erika Hernandez is full available for them to pour over at their leisure. Given that the ship is forty years old and hasn't been updated since it left drydock, I'm quite confident that they'll make a show of pouring over her, even though we all know that they have her schematics on file."

"And that helps me how?" asked Owen, raising an eyebrow. A Tal Shiar farce didn't exactly seem like it was that useful, but...

"The Tal Shiar were going to inspect the ship as soon as possible. I just gave them leave to do so without creating a diplomatic incident. Frankly, it's a peace offering - one that you'll need to operate with at least some level of independence. Now, what's more important is that you understand the situation between the Federation and Romulus...it might be better if you read this over...
==============================

Excerpts from Lucas Kilkenny's Briefing

In short, the Federation Council - and Starfleet - seems to be divided into three separate branches when it comes to considering the possibility of a resurgent Romulan Empire. The first - and certainly the largest - thinks that now is a good time to reach out to the Romulans, the help them to rebuild and create a stronger tie of friendship with them. I personally view that faction as idealistic and unrealistic, if not potentially blind to the threats that a resurgent Empire poses.

The next group has a weather eye on the Romulans, and considers aid nothing more than a tool to fend off the possibility of future conflicts. They want to limit aid to civilian sector services, secure a non-aggression pact, and leave the Romulans to their own devices. They're playing it safe, which I appreciate, but I fail to see the utility of a non-aggression pact if we don't change the relations between our two states.

The final, and smallest, group is lead by the Vulcans. They want to leave the Romulans alone, to prosper or perish based on their own devices. There are a few admirals who might privately stand with this group, but...realistically, if we're not there to help pick up the pieces, someone else will be.

This all goes to say that we don't suspect any real Federation involvement in whatever's coming next. Despite the disagreements between the three sides, no one wants to see another war. It's just not on the table - everyone's willing to let the Romulans rebuild in peace, they just disagree on how to do it.

What's more important is that you know Starfleet Intelligence's stance on this, which I think is most important. We're at an unprecedented moment in Federation history. The Borg are no longer a threat. The Dominion is content to stay in the Gamma Quadrant. The Klingons are stalwart allies, and the Romulans - and by Romulans, I really mean the Tal Shiar - are the only thing standing between us and galactic peace. If we can bring them into the fold, we're looking at an Alpha and Beta Quadrant that might not be united, but certainly won't erupt into chaos any time soon.

Your job is to make that happen, Commander.
Lieutenant Owen Scott and Ensign Calvin Messier
Star Trek: Renaissance
thepariaheffect

Postby FSF Sail » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:24 am

Off: Something to help us move forward while folks take their holidays.

Story Note:

The security sweep ended at midnight, with no further discoveries. Capt. Vreenak brought Cdr. Scott up to speed on the situation and their newest arrival. Yeoman Adelaide spent much of the night researching Lt. Oscar Blackthorne's identity. It is now the following morning, 0655. Marisol is in her ready room, awaiting the arrival of her yeoman for a report, and the beginning of their daily breakfast meetings. Oscar Blackthorne is still in the brig, pending proof of his identity.

Writers may backtime up to this moment in their posts.
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby Sonja Kinnunen » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Ambassador Talla Vreenak
Ready Room, U.S.S. Hope

"Most appreciated," Talla replied as Marisol offered to make a report of recent events available to the Romulan government. She would no doubt leave out mention of a temporal-displacing mechanism situated in a classified region of space. He too would neglect to mention its involvement. There were things in the galaxy no faction, regardless of their intention, should wield -- time was most assuredly one of them.

With Marisol being the commanding officer, she said what was only obvious. His chin fell a bit as he held her hands. There'd been a time, long ago, when he could have told her to leave Starfleet. Talla couldn't bring himself to ask her to forsake her own just for him, however. Perhaps a year or two prior he could have been unconcerned with Marisol's own comfort, but that was when he'd been a man incapable of considering Marisol more than a means to an end.

"Most irregular, Captain," Talla replied with a formal voice even as he neglected to draw away or show any firmness about the eyes. A small smile crossed his lips after a moment. "But, perhaps an exception could be made this time?"

<<Tag Marisol>>

Ambassador Vreenak didn't move as the door opened to admit the Yeoman. His hands had calmly fallen to his sides. No need to suggest the two of them were engaged in any shows of affection. Not that it was a secret, but they were in uniform.

<<Tag Ready Room>>
Sonja Kinnunen
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Sail » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:17 pm

Capt. Marisol Vreenak
Commanding Officer
USS Hope

She'd seen her husband to the transporter at 0630. While the refurbished captain's quarters aboard Hope were definitely nothing to denigrate, there was much also to be said for the comforts of the house they'd made home a these past few years. Barring another series of bizarre events, she'd have to return to their home on the run, no later than 1600 hours, if she wished to entertain Owen with dinner at 1900.

The day ahead would not be without it's challenges. Marisol found herself wishing that Gabriella's morning report might conclude in proof positive that Oscar Blackthorne was some sort of hard line dissident, a ready made explanation that would elicit the usual condescension from Fleet Commander Tomalak. His adjunct had already checked in with the reminder of their meeting at 0900. "The Fleet Commander is most interested in learning your motivation for a yellow alert," the officious little pratt had sniffed. Thus, Subject One. "He would also appreciate an explanation for the presence of the Erika Hernandez." Subject Two. The fact that neither of her concocted explanations sounded plausible to herself only served to fuel the headache she could feel coming on.

<Tag Adelaide>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby Brett K Reese » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:15 pm

Lt. Cmd. Brett Reese
CMO
USS Hope
&
Capt. Marisol Vreenak
Commanding Officer
USS Hope

Time Index: Two weeks after returning to the Alpha Quadrant

Stuffing the last shirt in her bag, Brett paused to look out the window at the campus of Starfleet headquarters. Since returning to the Alpha quadrant two weeks ago she had not left Starfleet Command. She was staying in the guest housing building used for off-world visitors since she had no family on earth to visit and stay with. Her days had been full of briefings and exams. Her mind was so tired of recounting the events that brought her to the crew of the Hope in the Delta quadrant.

“I just want to go some place isolated and quiet. Away from others where I can let my mind go and not worry about a flood of others thoughts and feelings.” She felt a chill and rubbed her arms.

“Excuse me Dr.,” an ensign said entering. “Your transport is ready to leave orbit for Betazed. You can beam out when you are ready.”

“Thank you ensign. Do you know it Mr. Rostham is on board?”

“No ma’am I don’t know.”

Nodding she waved him away. +Reese to Yukon. Ready for transport.+

Time index: Two months later

Brett sat with her knees drawn up to her chest in a deck chair as she sipped her coffee and watched the sun rise over the snow covered peaks outside her colorado cabin. After her visit to Betazed she needed to return to a place of solitude to deal with the loss of her sister who went missing in her fighter while Brett was stranded in the Delta quadrant and the personal loss she suffered right after the return to the Alpha quadrant. Thinking of the loss she instinctively rested her hand on her lower abdomen as a single tear slid down her cheek. “It wasn’t meant to be. It’s probably for the best,” she said out loud trying to convince herself.

She had only seen Rostham once since her return and that was just for one day while he was on leave between training sessions. “Part of me wants this to work, but another is glad it is going so slow. I hope he is doing well in his new assignment.” Her thoughts were interrupted by the alarm reminding her it was time to get up for work. She accepted a teaching position at LSU medical school in New Orleans as an doctor on loan. She was still a Starfleet officer and was posted as the medical officer for the ROTC battalion at LSU Baton Rouge.

Time Index: Two years after the return
“Third degree plasma burns, a broken clavicle, and head trauma,” the medics said as they rushed the patient into the ER.

“What happened?” Brett asked.

“Explosion in the plasma injector of a ship in the repair station. We stabilized him and then transported him here.”

“10cc’s hydrocodone….” she ordered and then froze. The nurse saw all the color drain from Brett and her knees buckle as she gripped the edge of the bed.

“Dr? Are you ok?”

Brett cleared her throat,”Fine. Get his uniform off. Contact surgery tell them we are sending a plasma burns and broken clavicle.” Before the nurse could question her hesitation further, Brett continued working on stabilizing the patient doing her best to not look him in the face and resist the urge to have a laser scalpel slip near his jewels.

After the patient was taken to surgery, Brett found an empty room and broke down. That was the closest she had been to him since that night all those years ago. Her tears were tears of pain and relief because she faced him and took the high road. She did her job and did her part to save his scum sucking life. “Son of a bitch,” she said wiping her eyes. “Great I look like I’ve been sucking on an onion or have Bolarian measles,” she chuckled looking at her face in the mirror before heading back to the floor. Exiting she began to wonder when she would get assigned to a ship far, far away from him.

Time Index: Three ½ years after the return

“What are you thinking about?” she asked Rostham as he laid next to her with his head propped on his hand.

(Tag Rostham)

Slipping from under the cover she took the sheet with her exposing crease of her lower back to him as she exited to the bath. As the door closed behind her the sheet cascaded to the floor while she slipped below the surface of the luxurious blanket of bubbles.

(Tag Rostham)

“Do you want to go to the beach later?” she called out. “Bay did you hear me?” She paused to listen. “I know he did not leave without saying anything,” she said to herself. “Why do I do this? First it was my fears and now it’s his damn career. We were better off as damn horney apes. At least we were together.” She dimmed the lights, laidback, closed her eyes, and let the sound of the tubs jets soothe her into a semi sleep state.

Time Index: Six months later

“Ahhhh, son of a,” Brett screamed as she was wheeled into the delivery room. “I’m going to kill him when I see him. I can’t believe I let this happen. Hooo, hooo. I want drugs now,” she said in a deep gravely voice from the depths of her soul causing all the color to drain from the young nurse.

“Ye, yes ma’am,” he stammered and bolted from the room to find a doctor, any doctor to bring her drugs.

As a doctor, she has delivered at least a dozen babies in her career, but until it’s happening to you you have no idea the true agony of the miracle.

“I hope he gets a boil on his,” another contraction hit and she forgot everything, but the task at hand. Just then the doctor entered with a hypo of pain meds.

“A bit slow there doc,” she said through clenched teeth.

“Nice to see you too,” he smiled. Dr. Jon Maxwell had known Brett since med school, so he didn’t take offense. He was sniped at by agonizing women multiple times a week, sometimes in alien languages, so this was par for the course.

Three hours later Brett was resting in her room and her solitary world had grown by two. When she awoke she sent a message to Rostham to return home as soon as possible to meet his children.

“What do I call you?” she asked the sleeping children in the bed next to hers as she rubbed her finger over their tiny hands. “I wanted us to do this together, but as usual he had to go. Your daddy has to learn to say no sometimes. Remember you don’t have to take every assignment offered. If it’s not an order you have a choice. Remember that,” she said kissing her finger and placing the kiss on the forehead of each baby. Then she sat back in her bed and stared at the pad with the word Name staring at her. Finally she entered Kegan Asher Reese for her son and Cordelia Grace Reese for her daughter.

“I never thought I’d want to be a mom and I definitely never wanted a daughter. How can I protect you from my fate?” Cordelia stirred causing Brett to catch her breath a moment in anticipation. She knew what to do, but was a little gun shy to start. Thankfully Cordelia sighed and continued sleeping. “I’ll make sure you know never to walk alone, especially late at night and you will be there to kick his butt if he comes for her,” she said stroking Kegan’s cheek. For a moment she felt a wave of sadness at the memory of their older brother . Who never made it to the world and Rostham never knew about him, but he was with Brett for three months and for two she knew he was there, so he’s with her always.

A week later, Kegan and Cordelia met their father for the first time. Then he and Brett had a serious sit down about where this was going.

(Tag Rostham)

Time Index: A year ½ later (Six years after the return)

Brett was now working at Starfleet Medical and the twins were thriving. Rostham had finally began taking less assignments and turned out to be a pretty decent father. Though they still weren’t married, although he had tried to get her down the aisle several times, Brett was content with the situation at this time.

“Dr. Reese you have an incoming transmission,” came over the intercom.

“You’re healing nicely Lt.,” she said to the patient she was helping. “I’ll check in on you tomorrow.” Brett stepped to a panel in the hall and pulled up her waiting message.

(Tag Marisol)

”Dr. Reese,

It’s been a long time! I’m hoping this finds you well. I was wondering if you’d like to return to USS Hope as our Chief Medical Officer? The position comes with a promotion to LtCdr, as well as the usual salary and benefits. Fortunately, the Borg are not included in this employment package. Please send a reply to indicate your interest.

Best Wishes,

Marisol Vreenak
Captain, USS Hope”

“A promotion? I’d never really given it much thought.” She wondered how this would work with kids and she definitely wanted Rostham assigned to the same ship at least until the kids were a few years older. “Will Marisol make room for my help? I can’t watch the kids and run sickbay. I have to have Jax or Rostham and I can never be on the duty shift or mission. That kind of constraint will never fly.” Her mind was racing and she had to shake it off. “Get a grip Brett. It will all work out the way it’s meant too.”

“Computer. Contact Capt. Vreenak on the USS Hope.” Brett took a seat and waited to for Marisol to answer the communication.

“Hello Brett…” Marisol’s image appeared on the screen. “Does this mean that you’re thinking about my offer?”

“Hello Capt. I just read it. Things for me have become a bit more complex since we returned. I am not a group of one, but four. I have two year old twins and am involved with Rostham. Is there room for him in the crew of the Hope? I have no one to leave the kids with so they must come too.”

The captain smiled. “Hope’s always got a place for her own,” she said. “I’ll talk with our CSEC. Given Rostham’s background, I’m sure we can add him to the rotation. And the kids are fine. Our mission is purely diplomatic, so crew families are permitted. Remember Asri Nazir? She’s still with us, and among other duties, she organizes educational activities and fun time for our children. So, with all that in mind, what’s the prognosis, doctor?”

Brett let out a deep breath before responding. “Since you made an offer I can’t refuse,” she smiled, “I accept the post. Where is the Hope now?”

“We’ll be back over Earth in two weeks’ time,” Marisol replied. “That should give you some time to close out your affairs. Welcome aboard, Doctor!”

“Thanks Capt. We’ll see you in two weeks. We just need one set of quarters for all of us so we don’t take up much space,” she smiled before signing off. “Safe voyage sir.”

“We’ll have family quarters that you’ll find comfortable. See you then. Vreenak out.”

“Now to tell Rostham. I have to pack for three. Ughhh,” she sighed laying back in her chair.
Leigh Rachal - LT Brett Reese, MD, CMO, USS Hope, Star Trek: Renaissance
Brett K Reese

Postby thepariaheffect » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:46 pm

Commander Owen Scott
Training Attache, Starfleet Tactical Command
Public Shuttlepad, Illidus

The three most bittersweet words in a command officer's career are "I stand relieved." He'd heard them plenty of times in his career, of course, but Owen had never actually said them before handing the Erika Hernandez over to his Romulan counterpart. With the better part of a day to spare, he loaded up his gear and headed down to Ilidus' surface. It was beyond time to begin his mission, even if it was to start with a friendly dinner.

He wasn't permitted to beam directly to the planet, of course - there were always formalities. He'd headed directly to the gargantuan space station itself first, trying his best to hit the right note of contrition for arriving relatively unannounced and confidence in his own mission. Regardless of what he was really there for, he did mean to introduce the basic framework for future joint operations while he was on the planet. If he could put that forward, he felt relatively confident that he could proceed.

The mysterious Lieutenant Kilkenny must have worked his Intel magic while Owen was waiting to hand over command - not only were the Romulans ready for his arrival, but they didn't seem to be on any more of a war footing than normal. To be sure, he was interrogated briefly - but at least it was thinly disguised as a disembarkation debriefing. He wasn't permitted to speak to the Fleet Commander that day, but he wasn't sent down the holding cells. Small miracles, he supposed.

What he really wanted to do, of course, was to grab the nearest soldier by the shoulders, shake him, and yell that there was some kind of threat in the works. Of course, without more knowledge he'd cause a minor diplomatic incident at best. So, for the time being, he waited.

He was due at the Vreenak household in the early evening, so now there was time to kill. So while Owen found himself at a public shuttlepad, he waited. Anything else might be construed as espionage.

Besides, if he was going to be bored, so would the Tal Shiar agent he'd noticed following him for the last few hours.

[Tag Ilidus]
thepariaheffect

Postby FSF Gabe » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:20 am

Prof. Richard Barlow
Quantum Mechanics and Engineering Theorist
Rector Institute of Engineering, Saturn's Moon, Titan
Barlow Estate, Office

ON:
Amelia Moore-Barlow wrote:"Oh, I forgot al about that. Some messenger delivered it, But he called me Lt Moore. I told him I was no longer a Lt in Starfleet, Actually I told him I was no longer IN Starfleet and my name was now Barlow. To be honest, I didn't even look at it," She came around the table to look at the PADD, "I figured it was just another request for an appearance, and I'm done with those. Why? Is something wrong? Is it important?

For a time, Rick held the PADD, the same "Aegis," emblem pronounced itself in bold, impact font as he saw before he got home from work. "I wouldn't think so," he finally replied after a period of silence. Generally anything that came in from Starfleet or globalized organizations as far fetched as the Federation seemed to pretend itself to be, the former Captain and R&D Engineer would simply throw back whatever it was. He hadn't any burning interest to step back into that world where others have done and continue to do better. This however was a tad bit different and it made his mind paranoid to the possibilities that something extremely horrible had happened or was about to. It made the hairs on the back of his neck stand as he read that the Aegis Group was petitioned by Starfleet (hints the same manner of delivery) in a recent investigation. The details were not all there, but, it was clearly stated that an Agent, a Henry Okafor, would be stopping by to ask questions pertaining to information concerning it's current investigation into the matter.

Barlow bit his lower lip, his brow furrowing as his forehead winced into a collection of canyons and wrinkles, his face a statement in perplexity to the nature of this Okafor's need to question him. He had been out of Starfleet R&D for nearly four years, ignored every sway the Federation tried to impose upon him to come back, to take a look here and there. A state so far that held him and his wife and child to live comfortable far from the spears and arrows. Rick instantly got that feeling in the pit of his stomach, a familiar twinge of instinct that he thought he'd lost six years ago.

He caught movement out of the corner of his eye, his peripheral vision picking up a figure walking down the pathway towards the main house; the office's bay window affording a view of the front and garden. Rick set the PADD down on his desk again, moving behind the large piece of furniture to peer at this stranger. Being somewhat of a local celebrity had some perks that slightly outweighed the cons. Everyone really knew Barlow and he wasn't really too forgetful with faces and names. It was clear that this person, this stranger on path to the front of the house, now passing through the garden, was a stranger to Rick and probably Amelia as well. He would have bet the farm that this stranger was the Henry Okafor that was spoken of in the Aegis notice.

"They're fast," he smirked, "I'll give them that....,"

In an instant, Rick left his office, returning to the hallway of the first floor. "I think we might have a guest," he stated continuing to walk towards the front door, entering the entrance gallery of the house before his hand reached out towards the doorknob. He looked back at his wife, and child, the look of concern splashing in hints upon their faces. "I wouldn't worry," he pressed, "it's just a man that wants to ask Daddy and Mommy a couple of questions." He passed a look to his wife, a brief notice of understanding sweeping across her eyes before he stepped out on the porch closing the door behind him. His boots echoed on the wooden planked floor as he leaned against one of the many columns that connected the rail to the overhang of the room.

<<Tag Amelia>>

"Agent Okafor," Rick pressed his earlier assumptions as his hands pressed into his pockets, "I hear you have questions for me."

<<Tag Okafor>>
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
Creator and FSF Host: Star Trek Eternity
Writer In: The Dead Fall: Safehouse
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Sail » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Capt. Marisol Vreenak
Commanding Officer
USS Hope

"Captain Hocevar." Fleet Commander Tomalak seemed to delight in using her maiden name, and had done so at every occasion she could remember. Likewise, he chose not to stand when ushering her into his office, another intentional slight toward the fleet she represented. "Do sit down," he said condescendingly. "There is much for you to explain."

"Good morning. Fleet Commander Tomalak," Marisol replied as the adjunct directed her toward the intentionally uncomfortable chair. "It's always a pleasure...."

"I am keen to know," Tomalak interrupted, "for what reason you chose to place your vessel on alert status while in the security of the station's docking berths?"

Hope's captain nodded as he spoke. At least the appearance of being eager to deliver an answer might help to lessen the scrutiny to which the answer might be exposed. "We had an intruder."

'An intruder?" Tomalak was well versed in the art of questioning one's credibility in the most subtle of ways.

"And he's in top form this morning," the diminutive woman thought. "Yes, sir. He beamed onto our bridge, and was immediately apprehended. Security is questioning him."

"What species?"

"Human, sir. We're confirming his identification. Suspected to be a hardline radical."

"This station is protected," Tomalak reminded her. "I should wonder if that other vessel might have something to do with this?"

"The Hernandez?" Marisol asked. "I've alerted Commander Scott. They're reviewing their transporter logs...searching for a place he might've hidden while aboard..."

"Is that Commander Owen Scott?" Tomalak asked, his brows steepled.

"Yes, sir."

"I'm told that he departed on a public shuttle this morning. He appears to be more interested in "seeing the sights" than the presence of a stowaway aboard his vessel. Odd behavior, even for a StarFleet officer, wouldn't you agree?"

He had her. Though her house of cards was barely larger than a mud hut, Tomalak could send the whole thing crashing down with just one more question. "Not at all, sir," Marisol answered. "Commander Scott's responsibilities as acting captain were completed upon safely docking. The Hernandez serves at the pleasure of Fleet Command and the Ambassador. You're free to..."

"This prisoner of yours," Tomalak demanded. "I shall see him. I don't imagine that would be problematic?"

"Um...not at all, sir," Hope's captain stammered.

"Transport us aboard. Immediately," the Fleet Commander ordered, rising to full height from behind his desk.

"Yes, sir," Marisol blinked as she tapped her commbadge. "Vreenak to Hope. Beam Fleet Commander Tomalak and myself to the bridge." By her reasoning, Marisol figured that she had roughly two minutes' credibility left to her name. Having been caught lying to the Fleet Commander was not only going to end her mission, but also wreck Talla's as well. The woman he'd trusted enough to marry, caught telling a bald faced lie to a high official, would never be shrugged off by those in power. As they materialized on Hope's bridge, Marisol thought furiously to find a plausible escape from the trap Tomalak was on the verge of springing. "Welcome aboard Hope, Fleet Commander." Ignoring the surprised glances from the duty crew, Capt. Vreenak continued, "The intruder appeared over there. He remained on that spot until..."

"Your office, captain," the senior Romulan commander scowled. "Now." In icy feeling settled into the pit of her stomach as she lead the Romulan into her ready room.

"Please have a seat," Marisol said woodenly. "Can I get you..."

A powerful hand clamped onto her bicep. The Fleet Commander whirled the astonished Starfleet captain to face him. "Listen to me carefully," Tomalak's eyes radiated intensity as he leaned in close to her. "How soon will you be able to sail?"

"Uh," Marisol was caught flat footed. "We can go in two hours, sir."

"You have forty-five minutes," the Fleet Commander said urgently.

"Sir, I have to recall my crew...."

"Your Romulan crew?" he asked. "They'll remain behind. Fill vacancies with crew from the Hernandez."

"Very well," she swallowed. "Where are we headed?"

"Subura," Tomalak replied. "You're patrolling the sector with a mission of illegal narcotics interdiction. Do so until my signal. Also," Tomalak continued, "your husband has spoken somewhat incessantly of your devotion to a resurgent Romulus as an ally and friend to the Federation. I believe that to be true as well. My family.....you have been kind to my daughters. Please take them aboard, and care for them."

"Of course," Marisol nodded. "Sir, what's going on?"

"Despite the level of my position, I'm not made privy to a great deal of the inner workings of government," Tomalak whispered. "There are certain details that have come to light.....plans are in the offing." At her nonplussed expression, he concluded, "when a Senator asks for my loyalty, I am placed in a dangerous position..."

"Coup d'etat," Marisol whispered, her eyes widening.

"At Subura, you shall await my signal. Should I offer public rebuke for your blind eye toward the smuggling of Romulan Ale, you'll understand that all is as it was, and the alliance is intact. Should you receive any other message or recall order, you are to run for safety, at maximum warp. Do not hesitate; the fleet will be coming for you....and I may still be in command. As such, I won't hesitate to be seen performing my duties."

"What about my husband?"

"The Ambassador is a son of Romulus," Tomalak said plainly. "She needs him now. I'll offer all the protection my office is empowered to provide. You have personal codes by which to share with him?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Marisol replied.

"Good. Let him know that I've ordered you out. My daughters shall be in my office in fifteen minutes' time. Should anything untoward occur, I trust you to guide their lives in their new home. Make all haste, Captain Vreenak."

"You'll see them again, Commander Tomalak. Remember, sir....the Erica Hernandez is very fast....Owen and my husband are intimately acquainted with her."

"I wouldn't be caught dead aboard that ship," Tomalak replied, just the barest hint of a smile as he moved to the center of the room. "I am ready."

"Transporter Room One, this is the captain," Marisol said with a tap to her commbadge. "Beam Commander Tomalak back to his office." As she watched, the Fleet Commander shimmered into whiteness, and was gone. "This is the captain," she announced via shipwide comms, "we've been given new orders. We depart in forty-five minutes. Engineering, take us to internal power. All departments prep for departure, and report when ready. Vreenak out."

<Tag Hope>

A moment later, after delivering orders to draft the hernandez crew to assist with Hope, Marisol accessed Talla's private office channel.

"Hi," she offered a wan smile. "Sorry to break into your day, but Old Tomalak just ordered us out. Apparently, I get to fight the war on drugs."

<Tag Vreenak>

"Hey, I've got a favor to ask. It's time to prune back my favorite Bonsai tree." She delivered the oft rehearsed code with far more casual detachment than she'd imagined such a grave moment would permit.

<Tag Vreenak>

"Oh, and one more thing," Marisol said. "Owen's on the surface, playing tourist. Would you let him know that I have to postpone dinner?" Owen Scott....a dangerous variable in a world of shadows and lies. Talla's survival was of paramount to her, but she couldn't just leave the Cdr. alone on a surface with potential hostiles. Talla would understand the request for what it was. And now, as she looked into his eyes, the knowing that a dark moment for which they'd prepared had actually arrived. "I have to go," she said with geniune reluctance. "Tomalak's cracking the whip. I'll let you know when we're expected back soon," Marisol said. For a moment, there was silence as she gazed upon the face in the viewscreen. Her fingers brushed the surface, caressing the image of her husband. "Te amo."

<Tag Vreenak>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby Kalquien » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:42 am

Lt. Oscar Blackthorne
Prisoner
USS Hope
Capt Vreenak wrote:...by the articles of the Temporal Prime Directive, each of us is sworn to the utmost silence. We are ordered to exercise extreme caution in dealing with this matter. Lieutenant Blackthorne, as a serving StarFleet officer, you are also bound by these regulations.

Oscar heard the Captain's words. The idea of a 'Temporal Prime Directive' made his head swim. He had never heard of such a thing, but then time travel was not a common occurrence in his home. He also recalled the fact that the Prime Directive itself had been thrown away by many crews as the despair of the end set in. However, the message was clear: Keep your mouth shut. He tried to smile, but his strength was almost spent so he nodded his assent. The Captain then stood in closer to him and spoke quietly.

Captain Vreenak wrote: Security will get you a shower, a fresh change of clothes, and something to eat. Our doctor will make a house call to check your health. We'll talk again after you've slept. To answer your questions," she concluded, "you're aboard the Federation starship USS Hope. I'm Capt. Marisol Vreenak. The year is 2398."

2398! The number exploded in Oscar's brain and he almost collapsed. By his cloudy reckoning that was 100 years in the future. He also knew that it wasn't his future. Where ever he had landed, they knew nothing of his time or life. That is unless the mission had been successful and somehow another of the Admiral's officers had managed to get through the Guardian and change the course of the war. Time will tell all, he thought to himself. When the security guards came to escort him off the bridge, Oscar shook off their hands and straightened up, determined to show he still had some strength left. They seemed to understand him and fell into a defensive formation about him. Oscar walked with his escort into the turbolift and captivity.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

12 hours later...

Oscar snapped awake and nearly vaulted off his cot. The nightmare had been a potent one. The sweat was chill on his skin as he remembered the long days of torture at the hands of the Romulans. It had been many years since he'd thought of those old horrors. With so many new ones to press upon his spirit, the year he spent in the hands of those old enemies had been largely forgotten. He glanced down at the number which he had kept imprinted on his arm. The Federation doctors had offered to remove it once he had been exchanged back to his own side. Oscar had chosen to keep it, as much for the reminder of his guilt as his pride in knowing that he had not broken under duress. He smiled at his own pride, knowing that as a newly enlisted warrant officer he had little knowledge that would benefit them. They had not been as harsh to him as to some of his officers. Now he was a prisoner again.

As he sat up Oscar felt every muscle in his body ache. He chuckled recalling the nurse who had attended him after his shower. She had used a small hand scanner over his naked skin, tsking at the results. She had asked what he had been eating because his mineral levels were out of balance. He'd replied, "Combat rations. You can live on them, but they'll eventually kill you." She cataloged his old injuries and torture marks with an excitement that Oscar had marveled in. He was happy that she had concurred with his self diagnosis. She had remarked that she had never seen so many bruises without a single broken bone. "I'm wiry," he said with a feral grin. He remembered her laughter, and her offer of a hypo for pain and to balance his mineral content and had respectfully declined. "I am not so soft as to need a painkiller to dull every ache," he had told her. She had said that great pain could retard healing, but he assured her that should his pain become great he would signal her.

Oscar walked over to the energy field and saw the security officer sitting at a central desk. He could see all the cells, which were arranged in a circle around the guard. He noticed that he was the only prisoner. The equipment and technology all around him made Oscar marvel. He had almost asked the nurse if he could examine her medical tricorder, but then thought better of it. He was sure no one was going to let him anywhere near the gear since they could see he had some skill with it. He walked back to his cot and sat down. He wondered who would be coming to interrogate him. He knew that they had stood down from yellow alert having not found any confederates. Would it be the Captain again? Perhaps her security chief. He knew they had his fleet identification, which had been real. Oscar thought about who he had been in this reality. If they deemed him harmless, maybe he could do the research himself. He knew only that he was here and wondered how long his confinement would last.

<Tag: Hope>
"God between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk."
-Captain John Sheridan, B5

Lt. Oscar Blackthorne - Star Trek: Renaissance
Kalquien

Postby Sonja Kinnunen » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:35 am

Ambassador Talla Vreenak
Vreenak Household, Ilidus

The Ambassador rematerialized at their home early in the morning. Unfortunately the 'guest' had Marisol occupied with matters of duty that kept her from joining him. Not the first time their schedule was not as free as they'd like. Hopefully things would be smoothed out by this evening, however, in time for their dinner.

Alone, Talla stepped up to the backdoor of the house and toggled it to slide back to reveal the open field that surrounded them. He paused for a moment to lean against the frame and observe the morning unfold naturally before his eyes. He was not his brother, but the family name had not suffered from Talla's renown in other areas than clandestine operations; such power to their name afforded the Vreenaks a handsome estate on the new homeworld. A nice gesture, he'd thought; not only was it a gift in and of itself, but it helped assure people didn't take him for a loud-mouthed renegade with fool notions. Of course he didn't always say the proper thing, but he did say the right thing for a stronger Romulan Star Empire.

After a time he stepped back into the kitchen and began preparing a late morning meal. As he acquired various local ingredients, Talla mentally noted if they had any needs in order to prepare for the evening meal. The replicator wasn't broken, but he liked cooking. It gave him a task to do that didn't involve inter-species relations, political games, or disruptor rifles. Where was he in a hurry to be that every meal had to be reconstituted? And he found it was easier to spice a dish properly without the computer trying to piece it together chemically -- though the technology had certainly come a long way since its inception.

With a soft chime Talla turned away from the counter and looked out over the island. With a wave of his hand a holographic screen appeared over the standalone table-top. Another small smile played over his lips at seeing Marisol's face appear. Sadly the news was far from favorable. Ordered out on a mission already? Talla's brow furrowed.

The introduction wasn't half as upsetting as the 'favor.' "I will take care of everything while you're away, as ever, e'lev," he responded with a great deal more casualness given the circumstances than he might have over six years ago. Talla might not be a Spy Master, but he'd brushed up on countless social skills over the years.

<<Tag Marisol>>

"The Fleet Commander is relentless," Talla agreed with Marisol biding farewell. "But I will be here when you return." He reached up to touch her hand on the display for a moment. "Jol-ao au, Ailhun."

<<Tag Marisol>>

When the screen vanished, the channel cut, Talla leaned down on both hands pressed against the cool island top. He turned his head to one side for a moment, a great host of thoughts running through his mind even as he focused on the sounds around him. The news could scarcely have been worse. Fortunately the news of Marisol being deployed so soon easily covered for the way his jaw muscles flexed now.

With a sharp snort, he straightened up and made his way to the bedroom upstairs. The house was secured from internal bugs, but if anyone were watching -- which he had to assume if the situation was so dire -- Vreenak had to waylay suspicion. His hands would carefully secure a planted Bonsai and escort it back downstairs.

Underground resided a secluded laboratory where he tinkered with personal projects in his spare time. Vreenak did carve time just for himself even while Marisol was away; it was the only way to stay sane. Of course he 'must have left the pruners' downstairs; and so he descended out of sight of anyone that might be outside.

Carefully setting the miniature tree aside, Talla stepped over to a locked cabinet. With a few taps it opened and revealed three prototypes weapons he'd worked on over the years. The slimmest of which he slipped from the rack and stuck into his waistband. A dark green sharp roughly reminiscent of a Human handgun or a Romulan disruptor only a few millimeters thick with a pointed 'beak' (emitter) that doubled as a melee weapon if necessary.

His fingers curled about a black cloak hung up in the corner, which he tossed about his shoulders. Before ascending, another small device was slipped into his waist band opposite the weapon. To most an Ambassador without an input device wouldn't raise any eyebrows; and even those that did would find it difficult to discover this particular model's 'enhancements.'

Back on the ground floor Talla set the bonsai with a few minor trims on an end table before he moved back to the kitchen. Time to order transport...

A short while later the Ambassador found himself near wherever Scott had found himself on his 'trip.' Now all he had to do was find a vacationing Starfleet officer on a planet full of Romulans -- how difficult could that possibly be?

<<Tag Scott>>
Sonja Kinnunen
Veteran Member

Postby thepariaheffect » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:42 pm

Commander Owen Scott
Advisor, Starfleet Tactical
Ilidus

Four hours. He'd been still for four hours now, with several still to go before his dinner engagement. It was a testament to Owen's military background that he'd not gone entirely crazy yet. Spending hours on end at watch was old hat to him, though the circumstances were usually far less present.

So far, he'd counted at least three people that he knew for a fact were some kind of military intelligence - probably Tal Shiar, but he didn't want to assume. The most obvious was the Romulan who'd followed him from the station, of course - definitely the decoy, because no one in their right mind would think that sitting in the same place for four hours wouldn't be a hell of a tell. Owen was also fairly sure that the two businessmen who'd shown up for a late lunch earlier were Tal Shiar, as well, as their posture was a little too obviously relaxed and they were ever so slightly too quick to avoid looking directly at him.

Of course, for all Owen knew, everyone there was Tal Shiar. Might as well keep that assumption going for as long as he was on planet - he'd heard, after all, that most Romulans did the same.

His mental calculations were interrupted by a truly unexpected variable - Ambassador Vreenak, across the tarmac. Had he brought private transport? Oddly thoughtful, but...

Best to be careful.

Gathering up his things, Owen put on the face of the interested tourist spotting a familiar sight. "Ambassador!" he called, walking towards his former shipmate. "Didn't expect to see you this early."

[tag Vreenak]
thepariaheffect

Postby Sonja Kinnunen » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Ambassador Talla Vreenak
Ilidus

There would have been a time Vreenak would have been suspicious of Marisol 'suggesting' the mission to restore the Empire while keeping the Federation at bay was in jeopardy of collapsing. Something this important he wouldn't prepare for the worst just because anyone suggested there was a problem. A 'few' years together, however, and countless dangers took care of the doubt.

He wondered if those responsible had taken the same thing into consideration when it came to Ambassador Vreenak. He knew some viewed him as a glorified dignitary getting involved where he didn't belong. Others, however, knew better. This was the Empire, after all; they had ways of conducting business most in the Federation would find 'questionable.' Ambassador Vreenak hadn't turned into a Human despite some less than veil suggestions upon his return years ago; he had certain contingencies and resources in place, which we being prepared as he stepped out of the transport.

Vreenak nodded slightly as Owen called out to him. "Seems I should have come sooner, Mister Scott. You appear to be enjoying yourself far too much." He extended a hand out to the man by way of greeting. Best to keep up appearances in public. Eavesdropping even at range was dreadfully easy out in the open as they were.

<<Tag Scott>>
Sonja Kinnunen
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Sail » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:56 pm

Capt. Marisol Vreenak
Commanding Officer
USS Hope

"Captain's personal log, star date 73001.19. Hope is en route to Subura, a drug interdiction mission hastily ordered by Fleet Commander Tomalak. His daughters, Raella, 17,and Amra, 12, have been taken aboard at his request, and I've assigned Lt. Nazir to serve as their guardian and situate them in quarters. I am still not entirely clear on the veracity of the orders Tomalak felt compelled to give me, but I have alerted Ambassador Vreenak, and trust implicitly in his good judgment regarding whatever movements are underway within the Ildius House of State. At present, Hope is traveling at our standard warp three, running without shields and using the standard sensor patterns. It's not lost on me that Subura is the furthest removed system of the rebuilding empire, and also the closest for a high speed run to more heavily protected Federation space. My crew are depleated...all of our Romulan crew were on liberty call with no chance of organized recall. Instead, we took the few people the Erica Hernandez had to fill the most crucially needed positions. We can function, but not to our fullest. On my authority as captain, I am releasing Mr. Blackthorne from the brig and permitting him 24 hours for rest and a crash course in Starship science procedures. We're going to need every hand, even one whose grasp is a century out of date.

Left behind on Ildius are Commander Owen Scott and Ambassador Vreenak. I fear for my husband, and hope that the coming days will see peace and order rule the day in the empire. In the meantime, I'll continue to evaluate my options. End log."

Marisol closed the recording, dabbed her eyes as the fear took hold. At that moment, the chime sounded. "Come in," she said, wiping one last time at her eyes.

Lt. Mahoney, the CSEC, entered the ready room. "Captain, can I have a moment?"

"Sure. Have a seat."

Mahoney did as he was asked, and took the chair before the desk. "Sir," I need to report that we have a civilian aboard."

"Then that'll make three," Marisol offered a slight smile. "My two are Fleet Commander Tomalak's daughters. Who's yours?"

"Um," Mahoney, clearly taken aback, stumbled over his own answer. "My wife, sir."

The captain nodded. "Good for you," she thought. "if this thing goes to hell, we'll get her out..." "That's no problem," the captain shrugged. "Listen, Craig. There's not much I can tell you right now, but I am worried the we're so undercrewed. We put to space too quickly to recall all the Romulan personnel from liberty."

"Right," he nodded. "I've got a couple of good folks from the Hernandez, though."

"That's good news," Marisol replied. "Choose an acting CSEC to replace you."

"Captain?" Mahoney asked, incredulous. "If this is about..."

Marisol lifted a hand. "I need a First Officer," she said. "One who can handle himself in a tense situation. We might just see one of those soon. I'm promoting you to Lt. Cdr, if you accept the position."

"Of course I do," Mahoney nodded vigorously. "Thank you, sir. I won't let you down."

"You haven't yet, Number One," Marisol smiled and extended her hand. Now, go change your collar pips, and then join me in the brig."

"What are we doing there, sir?"

"Filling vacancies."

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

The door opened with a whoosh, to admit the petite figure of Hope's captain. "Good morning, Tomlin," Marisol said in response to the greeting from the poor sap who'd won brig duty. "You're getting a reprieve. Tell your new boss that I'm springing you. Before you leave, drop the field on Mr. Blackthorne's cell."

"But Captain," Tomlin protested, "shouldn't I stay to ensure...?"

"I don't think i have anything to fear from Lt. Blackthorne, do I?" she asked with a casual glance toward the prisoner. "Besides, I'm springing him as well." The captain stood, silently observing Blackthorne as the field between them evaporated. This silence didn't lift until Tomlin's footsteps carried him into the outer security office. "Lieutenant," Marisol said carefully, "we have secured a DNA match for an Oscar Blackthorne who served over one hundred years ago. Retinal scan and facial recognition are an exact match.Yet, that Oscar Blackthorne retired from Starfleet on his thirty-fourth birthday, married, and had four children, two of whom are still alive today. That Oscar Blackthorne died in the year 2354......which leaves me in a quandary. What thread of the temporal fabric did the Guardian hurl you from? I know of the Guardian....it's a command level secret that I won't even share with our new allies. However," Marisol continued, "Our situation has changed, and I had to put to space with a reduced crew. So, Lt. Blackthorne, as you're still a serving officer, I'm pressing you into service. Here's a commbadge," she said, offering the little orb to the new arrival. "Just tap it, and announce who you wish to speak to. It'll also work with the computer."

She paused, then continued. "The next twenty-four hours should be spent in your new quarters. Your orders are to rest, eat, study history, pay careful attention to current events. and familiarize yourself with the science station. Sounds like alot, and it is. Learn the basics, Lieutenant. The fine detail will follow." The door flew open behind her, admitting the new First Officer. "This is Lt. Commander Mahoney, the First Officer. He'll see you to your quarters. Until you start on the bridge, please limit your questions to either Mr. Mahoney or myself. Understood?"

<Tag Blackthorne>

"Welcome aboard USS Hope, Lt. Blackthorne," Marisol extended her hand.

<Tag Blackthorne>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby Brett K Reese » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:35 am

Lt. Cmd. Brett Reese
CMO
USS Hope
Lt. Cmd. Brett Reese
CMO
USS Hope

Time Index: One month after last post. Before Blackthorne’s release

Back in her old office after 6 years was not a strange and she thought it would be. It was nice to be here when sickbay was fully functioning with up to date Starfleet equipment and supplies instead of piecemeal alien scraps. Taking a med kit and leaving AMO Dr. Nadir in charge, Brett headed to the brig to give our out of time guest the once over.

“Ensign open the cell,” she said entering the brig. The female ensign nodded and opened the force field for Brett to enter while another security officer held a phaser at the ready.

“Hello. I’m Dr. Reese. Cpt Vreenak wants me to make sure you are in good health,” she said sitting the med kit on the floor.

<Tag Blackthorne>

“Your blood pressure is normal, no fever. I just need to get a blood sample to check for any illness and what inoculations if any you may need,” as she removed a hypo syringe from the kit. She held it up for him to see.

<Tag Blackthorne>

She took a sample from his arm. “If you need any shots I’ll let you know. Other than that you seem to be in perfect health, which is fascinating considering your age,” she smiled.

Time Index: After Sails last post

“They already had breakfast. Kegan had a bit of a temp, if it gets worse bring him to sickbay. He should stay in bed or the playpen away from the others just to be safe,” she said to Nazir passing him over to her and placing Cordelia on the floor to play.

<Tag Nazir>

Brett kissed the kids and head out.

Brett stepped onto the bridge and did a scan for Marisol. This was the first time Brett had seen the bridge since returning to the Hope.

“Dr. how can we help you?” a Lt. at a side console asked.

“I’m looking for Cpt. Vreenak.”

“She is in her ready room.”

“Thank you,” Brett smiled and stepped to the door.

<Tag Marisol>

“Captain. I hear we are short handed on this mission. I wanted to see where you need me until my medical services are needed? I can man a console on the bridge or help elsewhere.”

<Tag Marisol>
Leigh Rachal - LT Brett Reese, MD, CMO, USS Hope, Star Trek: Renaissance
Brett K Reese

Postby thepariaheffect » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:26 am

Commander Owen Scott
Ilidus

"Oh, you know. Can't turn down the chance to see the sights on such an exotic planet."

Owen briefly clasped Vreenak's hand, mentally checking off another box on his list - have to keep playing the tourist, force the joviality and fish-out-of-water expression. He'd never been close with the Hope's former XO, but he could play up the idea that he was happy to see a familiar face on an alien planet. Besides, it was better than skulking in the shadows and using code words.

Looking over the Ambassador's shoulder to the transport, he continued, "So...is that our ride? Not that Ilidus isn't lovely, but I'd rather get all of this gear stowed before dinner."

[Tag Vreenak]
thepariaheffect

Postby FSF Sail » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Capt. Marisol Vreenak
Commanding Officer
USS Hope

OFF: Takes place after Blackthorne is shown to his new quarters.

ON:

At Warp Three, Hope still had six hours' flight time to reach the Subura system. "Nice and easy, as if we don't have a care in the world," Marisol thought. Over her years spent at Talla's side, she'd become accustomed to operating under a veil of intense, yet surreptitious scrutiny. The Tal Shiar listened to everything, watched her every move, especially when she sat in the command chair of this ship. At the moment, the ubiquitous observation wasn't what troubled her. If push came to shove in the Romulan Senate, and the Praetor found himself discomfited, just which side would the watchers of the Tal Shiar choose? She hadn't shared any of this with her new First Officer, or the senior staff. Nor would she, for the moment. There was still the possibility that the political intrigues of the fledgling empire might limit themselves to the Ildius System alone.

Conversely, she might have a cloaked warbird to the stern.

Was she being played? That was another dangerous angle to this entire scenario. Fortunately, she had orders, passed through official channels by the Fleet Commander after his visit to her ready room. Yet, she also had his daughters, beamed from his office by her transporter. Perhaps, she mused, that was part of Tomalak's double edged insurance. If the coup resulted in a "Night of the Long Knives," his daughters were safely away, thus permitting him more freedom of action. Should things go against him, he could raise claim that StarFleet had kidnapped the girls, possibly guarantying his position with the new incarnation. Considering that, Marisol felt even more assured of the two promises made. Tomalak would use his power to protect Talla, and hopefully Owen, if such a move was necessary. Understanding the stage being set, that protection might just mean giving both men a half second's lead in an all out pursuit. The more ominous of his oaths, however, still hung in her thoughts. "I won't hesitate to be seen performing my duties." It wasn't simply the destruction of the Romulan home world that elevated Tomalak. He was a lethal combination of intellectual and strategist/tactician who'd won just as many victories without firing a shot as he had by loosing weapons. If she were forced to face him, the logical conclusion would be to run. And that answer, as evidenced by the presences of Raella and Amra now aboard, was exactly what Tomalak was counting on.

Marisol wanted other options.

Her commbadge chirped.

LtCdr. Brett K Reese wrote:“Captain. I hear we are short handed on this mission. I wanted to see where you need me until my medical services are needed? I can man a console on the bridge or help elsewhere.”

Marisol lifted her head, turning to meet the gaze of her First Officer. "Science," both said simultaneously. "She can handle the SCI console today, and then check ride Blackthorne when he steps in tomorrow." At the enthusiastic nod from her First, Capt. Vreenak tapped her commbadge. "Dr. Reese," she replied, "Thank you for your offer. Please report to the bridge."

<Tag Reese>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

PreviousNext

Return to In-Character Roleplay