S03Ep01 Paradox

Where the crew of the Star Trek: Entity sim come to post their in-character posts.

Re: S03Ep01 Paradox

Postby thepariaheffect » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Commander Owen Scott
Commander, USS Erika Hernandez
USS Hope, Briefing Room

Owen returned the hug, and nodded in a brief greeting to the new Yeoman. Had she been on the Hernandez? It was hard to tell after the quick trip - he'd barely had time to catch the names of the bridge crew as it was. With little time to make small talk, he also dropped in a quick wave to the Ambassador - and grinned sheepishly while he was at it.

Taking a seat as directed, he began. "Nice to see you again, too, Chief. Four pips is a good look on you. Just wish I could've made it out here to visit under better circumstances."

Handing over a PADD, he continued, "I received my orders from Fleet Tactical about five days ago - I'd assumed that you knew I was coming, but that was apparently a bad assumption." He paused for a moment to take a breath, trying to very hard to keep things official. "The Erika Hernandez is here as a quick courier, because somebody in the brass has a bad sense of humor. The ship's here at your disposal, until such time Starfleet recalls it. For my part, I'm just here to help out until Starfleet sends somebody to pick me up - apparently, they want me to teach Romulans how to work with Starfleet special ops for a couple of months. Just, you know, don't shoot the messenger on this one."

[Tag Hope Briefing Room]
Lieutenant Owen Scott and Ensign Calvin Messier
Star Trek: Renaissance
thepariaheffect

Postby thepariaheffect » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Commander Owen Scott
USS Hope, Briefing Room

Owen returned the hug, and nodded in a brief greeting to the new Yeoman. Had she been on the Hernandez? It was hard to tell after the quick trip - he'd barely had time to catch the names of the bridge crew as it was. With little time to make small talk, he also dropped in a quick wave to the Ambassador - and grinned sheepishly while he was at it.

Taking a seat as directed, he began. "Nice to see you again, too, Chief. Four pips is a good look on you. Just wish I could've made it out here to visit under better circumstances."

Handing over a PADD, he continued, "I received my orders from Fleet Tactical about five days ago - I'd assumed that you knew I was coming, but that was apparently a bad assumption." He paused for a moment to take a breath, trying to very hard to keep things official. "The Erika Hernandez is here as a quick courier, because somebody in the brass has a bad sense of humor. The ship's here at your disposal, until such time Starfleet recalls it. For my part, I'm just here to help out until Starfleet sends somebody to pick me up - apparently, they want me to teach Romulans how to work with Starfleet special ops for a couple of months. Just, you know, don't shoot the messenger on this one."

[Tag Hope Briefing Room]
thepariaheffect

Postby thepariaheffect » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:02 pm

thepariaheffect wrote:Commander Owen Scott
USS Hope, Briefing Room

[Tag Hope Briefing Room]
thepariaheffect

Postby Mia Cummings » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Amelia 'Mia' Barlow
Professor of Sciences, Secondary Education
Titan Public School System

Amelia rubbed her head after grading the last of the papers from her students. Some days she wished she'd had a different focus. Getting teenagers to understand the intricacies of the universe from a scientific standpoint was frustrating.

A small giggle drew her attention to her daughter, Maddy, now 6 years old and as smart as a whip. Amelia looked over to were the little girl was playing and smiled, "What are you up to now?" She got up and went to sit with Maddy on the floor, and raised her eyebrows as she saw a variety of gears and other mechanical parts in a circle around the girl.

Maddy looked up at her mother with a big smile on her face, "I am making something for Daddy. See?"

Mia stifled the chuckle and sat down, "I see, sweetheart. Can I help? What are you making?"

Maddy's face was serious for a moment, "I want to do it by myself, Mommy. And it's a secret, If I tell you, you'll tell Daddy and then it won't be a secret anymore."

Just then the door chime rang. "Well, I'll let you get to it then," She said as she stood to go see who was at the door. Exiting the den and crossing the main living area she couldn't imagine who would be at their door. Rick was still at the university and none of her students parents would be visiting. She opened the door and was surprised to see a young Starfleet officer standing there.

"Lt Amelia Moore?" He asked nervously.

"Not in a long time," Mia replied, "I am no longer a member of Starfleet, and My name is now Amelia Barlow."

The young man shoved a PADD into her hands, "I was told to deliver this, Have a nice day." With that he turned quickly and hurried away.

She shook her head and glanced at the PADD as she turned to go back inside. There was a crashing sound and a scream and Mia ran back to the den to find Maddy crying. She dropped the PADD on the desk and Picked up her daughter, "What Happened?"

"It fell down, my tower of parts fell down, my surprise is ruined," The little girl wailed and lay her head on her mother shoulder and cried.

<Tag Rick (Perhaps you could walk in about now?)>
Mia Cummings; AMO/Lt.: USS John C Stennis - CSEC/Lt.: USS Stargazer SFOL * Sa'Ra;Security Officer/Ensign: USS Firewall * Cdr. Amber (Tamara) Darius-Belmont - Chief Medical Officer: USS Atlantis * Lt Amelia "Mia" Moore, CSCI; USS Eternity *
Mia Cummings
Veteran Member

Postby thepariaheffect » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:42 pm

[Trying one last time!]

Commander Owen Scott
USS Hope, Briefing Room

[Tag Hope Briefing Room]
thepariaheffect

Postby Michael Hill » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Henry Okafor
Aegis Group
Listening Post 221
-=/\=-

"Romulan Ale was a nice touch," Okafor smiled leaning back in his plush Jarllian leather chair of his stateroom's conference center. He swirled the blue liquid around towards the viewer, cheering the air.

"We send you to the drain pipe of Federation facilities. We owed you something." The Aegis Group's VP of K&R returned the smile across subspace.

Okafor took a sip of the blueish liquid, enjoying the odd burn and sweeter finish of the Romulan staple. It always struck him as fitting - two sides of the same coin. Like Romulus and Remus. Every good drink could evoke such a response and he was not immune to that romance. He appreciated that the Aegis Group spared no expense. It was one of the lures of the private sector. Docked with Listening Post 221, the Aegis cruiser looked like a pleasure yacht compared to the utilitarian Starfleet designs that were coming in and out of the sector. Okafor could have got a berth at on the listening post, for certain, however, the stateroom on the cruiser looked like it was peeled out of a luxury cruise. One couldn't just ignore the creature comforts. Still, there was work to be done.

"I'm filing my first report against the contract in the morning, Listening Post time, Mr. Benoit." Okafor kicked back a swallow of the ale. "It's not going to vary much from the Starfleet findings."

"Two ships." Benoit nodded tacitly. "Does Starfleet Intel concur on the second part of the assessment?"

A moment of pause hung over the connection. Earlier that day, Henry had vetted the sensor and comm results off Starfleet's database in an attempt to identify the other ship in the area of the Eternity at the time of her disappearance. Surprisingly, the queue didn't take nearly as long as expected. Okafor anticipated a lengthy data pull from annals of the Starfleet's ship catalogue, however, a near immediate hit proved to be the most intriguing. The interceding vessel, structured very much like the Eternity, to the point of looking like a sensor ghost due to the similar oblong shape, brought back an instant hit from Eternity's mission folders. The sensors showed familiarities with the Crimson Knife, a Delta quadrant heavy battle cruiser. Its commander was identified in the records as "Gerrick" with a codename of "Red King." Cross-correlated with Starfleet briefs from Eternity's return to the Alpha Quadrant, Gerrick, the Crimson Knife, and the Syndicate were in the fleet brought to the Alpha Quadrant with Hope and Eternity, some 6 years ago. Gerrick's known whereabouts were fuzzy once the Syndicate elements disbanded some four years prior. No new information had been logged on the whereabouts or final disposition of the Crimson Knife.

"This Crimson Knife thread seems like a quick way to unravel a sweater, sir." Okafor frowned. Another slug of Romulan Ale. "Seems like a damn peculiar coincidence, at best. Or something much messier. A lot of hero-making came out of Eternity and for its past to collide with its future in such a deliberate way could run a lot deeper. Right now, it's all speculation. Hell, we couldn't even parse slipstream trajectories from the Eternity's last known location let alone put a definitive pin on this supposed Knife boat. We'd be chasing ghosts around the quadrant. I'd advise a wait and see to see if this was an anomaly, an act of piracy, or what, but I'm sure Starfleet doesn't want us sitting back."

Benoit craned back in his chair, "No, Mr. Okafor. I'm sure they won't, even if that's the most prudent move." He laced his fingers together on his ample belly. "When you submitted your findings, we set Aegis' analyst corps in motion to start locating and prioritizing former Syndicate members as well as key Starfleet personnel associated with the Hope and the Eternity. We'll start shaking the tree and see what falls out. Forwarding over the initial outlines now."

As the screen spewed out reams of data, Okafor nodded, flipping through the first tier of names. "This is good stuff. I'm going to start pulling this sweater apart and see what comes of it. I plan on shoving off from here and visit the last location of sensor contact. Then we can assess, " He paused as his eyes landed on a name on the list and bulletized dossier. "Did you see this, sir?"

Benoit bobbed his head, "Yeah. First name we flagged. Barlow."

"Former captain. Former Starfleet. Resigned over creative and professional differences over this new Eternity?" Okafor swished his ale, reaching for a refill. "That's a pretty big snag in the sweater, Mr. Benoit."

"Agreed. Let's interview him. See what we can find. Probably nothing. Pretty thin. "

"Very thin." Okafor nodded, topping off his blue libation. "But it beats sitting on our hands to see if Eternity reappears. Plus gotta justify this expense account."

They both shared a chuckle.

Okafor hatched back the ale with a small cough. "Looks like he's at the Rector Institute. I'll move up the timetable. Survey the last Eternity location and push for Saturn orbit by week's end."

Benoit reached forward to click off the viewer. "Copy that, Hank. Be careful out there. Who knows where this rabbit hole is going."

"Roger. Out here."

With that Okafor closed the viewer and classified uplink. The communications room lights rose and the walls shifted from opaque to clear. Henry scrubbed a hand over his shorn head and let out a sigh. It was going to be long couple of days. Grabbing the decanter of ale, he filed out into the main living quarters of his stateroom. As he churned the information of the last few minutes around, he closed in on the king bed on the far side of the room. As if on cue, the sheets began rummaging and billowing. A form, hidden in the silken sheets slunk to the bed's edge and the face of a beautiful young woman popped out from its hiding spot.

"Didn't mean to wake you. Business."

"I wasn't asleep, " cooed the young lady in the silk sheets and nothing else. "Just waiting."

"Why, Petty Officer Christine," Henry smiled, playfully. "I'm sure you've got a long shift tomorrow and I've got to shove off within the hour." We don't want you to catch hell with Lt. Weinberg. "He poured some Romulan ale into two glasses at the bedside table.

The young petty officer took a large sip. "How soon did you say you have?"

"I guess it can be two hours." Okafor swallowed some ale and then disappeared into the sheets.

-=/\=-
Michael Hill

Postby Janice Lacey James » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Lt Janelle James
Counselor
USS Omicron

Janelle sat in her quarters looking over the latest request for her presence at some tribute to the Crew of Eternity. She sighed and placed it on the table. She disliked these tributes more than she would let on. They focused on the survivors but forgot those that had perished. Those who were the true heroes.

So many people lost. And yet she could still see every face as clear as day. In the six years since their return, not a day had passed when she did not think about Colin Byrne, Or Sarah and Jo, Hmra and especially James Maxwell. Lives ripped asunder and lost to the eternity of space.

And those last moments, taking into holding cells and interrogated by the syndicate as she felt Barlow slipping away. The paradox of time never ceased to amaze her.

Some days she actually could almost imagine herself having a conversation with either Maxwell or Byrne about her future. She'd stayed in Starfleet, she really felt it was the best place for her. She's also turned down several promotions. Which had not gone over well with her current captain.

She looked again at the request. Sadly she'd not been given the chance to decline, and a shuttle had arrives along with the request to deliver her to an as yet undisclosed location.

She picked up her small valise and headed out to the shuttle bay.

<open tag... Dan &/or Gabe you can deliver her to someplace to get her involved>
MSgt. Jamie Lynn Stathem, 2nd Support Detachment NCOIC; USS Cadecus
Lt Jg. Janice Lacey, Chief Science Officer (CSCI); USS Atlantis
Lt Janelle James, Counselor; USS Eternity-B (TDY USS Hope)
Lt Jg.(acting) Jamie Morrison,Intel; USS Independence
Lt. Meghan Amalia Steele, Eng Consultant, Shattered Universe
Janice Lacey James

Postby Sonja Kinnunen » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:23 pm

Ambassador Talla Vreenak
Ready Room, U.S.S. Hope

Vreenak stepped into the ready room. Before the figurative mask lowered, however, his dark eyes beheld two others present. In the back of his head he sighed. No wonder Marisol hadn't left the ship yet. No doubt it had to do with the other Starfleet vessel present now. His gaze rest with Marisol for a long moment, the two rather elsewhere than whatever 'briefing' was about to transpire in the Ready Room. Just another day in the life of two people that stood on the edge of a very sharp, and very steep blade.

"Captain." His tone wasn't nearly as firm as it might be faced with any other Federation Captain by half. Nor had he opted to use her last name. One of the faces present was unfamiliar to him and 'Ambassador Vreenak' with 'Captain Vreenak' might announce an unexpected union to someone that hadn't taken the initiative to find out more about the other Captain -- the original Captain -- assigned to this sector.

Calmly he strode closer to the small group. Scott got a nod and what might have been a small smile from the right angle. Again, discretion in the presence of an unknown asset. A woman that evidently was a 'Yeoman,' as Marisol soon introduced them. "Captain Scott. Petty Officer Adelaide. Welcome to Ildius." He turned to each in turn with a nod. If they expected Romulans to seek a handshake, they'd be mistaken. Vreenak was at least not bristling in their presence (as he too once did); so they were receiving a polite introduction to what to expect if they tarried long.

At Marisol's invitation, Vreenak joined everyone in finding a seat. It would be curious to hear what Scott was allowed to offer openly before Vreenak made any moves of his own.

"Captain, Commander," the Ambassador looked from one to the other, "this 'bad sense of humor' could easily undo everything we have accomplished over the past five years. The cease fire we enjoy is a formality." Unfortunately it seemed the feeling was mutual. "True reform will come from the younger generations. I would very much appreciate Starfleet not aiding in passing on harbored resentment for past offenses."

"I would repeat what the Senate and Fleet Commander said on the matter," the Ambassador added, "but I do not share that 'sense of humor.'" Something about, 'Perhaps we will have a warbird named D'deridex face off against the Hernandez' and something about finding out if history repeated itself. Vreenak was not quite as interested in studying history, in person, by re-enacting it.

He settled back in the seat for a moment. There was one last matter, which Scott brought up. "Starfleet Special Ops wishes to train with Imperial soldiers?" Vreenak turned to look at Owen in particular, "I suggest refraining from mentioning anything classified during your stay, Commander. I strongly suspect the Tal Shiar will be keeping an uncomfortable eye on your activities." Best not even to try encrypting messages or passing them through 'secure' channels.

Whether or not someone would 'shoot the messenger' was something yet to be seen.

<<Tag Ready Room>>
Sonja Kinnunen
Veteran Member

Postby thepariaheffect » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:06 pm

Commander Owen Scott
Commanding Officer, USS Erika Hernandez
USS Hope, Briefing Room

Owen winced at Vreenak's words, privately agreeing with the sentiment. Sending the Hernandez to Illidus was a terrible statement, but one that was in line with Starfleet's usual diplomatic efforts. After all, hadn't they sent the Enterprise to deal with the initial diplomatic efforts with the Klingons? Of course, that hadn't worked out so well for that particular ship's CO...

"Ambassador," Owen began, keeping his tone as formal as possible, "Trust that I have no intention of sharing anything with anyone. As far as I'm concerned, I'm here to evaluate whether our operatives can work with Imperial soldiers if and when we create a lasting peace. My goal is to leave the Hernandez with you and the poor bastard who gets put in permanent command, and to get this job done as efficiently as possible."

After a moment, Owen rummaged through his rucksack in an attempt to find his other PADD. "Also, Ambassador, I've got a rather time-sensitive diplomatic project I'd hoped you might be able to attend to. I feel that it could go a long way towards helping to secure better relations with that younger generation of which you previously spoke". Handing over the PADD, he turned back to the Captain to await what she might have to add.

============================

On the PADD:

Gabriela Luisa Scott, Age 9
Henry Archer Elementary
Ms. Taafe's 4th Grade Class

Dear Mr. Vrenack VeenakRomulan

I have a school project where I'm supposed to talk to somebody from another planet. My dad said he used to work with you when I was a baby but he didn't know I was a baby yet. He said you will answer all my questions because it is important for dipomatikus to be friends with the Romulans. These are my questions.

Do Romulan kids like ice cream?
Do Romulan kids have games?
Do you like "Tribble Trouble Buddies?"
My dad says Chief HokebarHosebarMs. Romulan yells in Spanish like my mom. Do all moms yell in Spanish where you live?
Do Romulan babies have point ears, or do they grow?

The list continues on for five more pages...

[Tag Both Vreenaks]
thepariaheffect

Postby FSF Gabe » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:55 pm

Professor Richard Barlow
Quantum Mechanics and Engineering Theorist
Rector Institute of Engineering, Saturn Moon, Titan

ON:
“Tachyon particles are particles that travel faster than the speed of light, destroying Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. We've known that theory to be, well…, I wouldn't say disproven, but bent a little, even before Zephiran Cochran launched the Phoenix and we discovered theories behind warp fields. This isn’t an obtuse theory however as we understand that particles accelerating at such velocities are, by definition, destructive to quantum.

‘Now quantum, for those of you who slept through Professor Regalie’s class, is a nice little packet of mathematics that, applied, can measure probability and placement at the atomic and macroscopic scales. Max Planck’s constant derived into the possibility and constants; dynamic and static states. Through this we can understand how energy and matter behave in interaction with one another. A road map if you will.”

Professor Barlow stepped down from the podium, his eyes locked on his six hundred students as he walked before them while they copied what the display showcased. Variations of Planck’s Principles, associative functions charged with frequency, wavelength, and speed of light in relation into the Planck-Einstein interpretation of relations. Letting a span of time escape his lecture.

“Recently, probably in the last three or four years, we’ve theorised that, under the right conditions, tachyon particles can manipulate quantum if operated under the same frequency as the base inner atom.”

Rick stood up from his lean. The expressive: “Now,” snapping the students away from their attention. “For those Romulans in the audience, messing with quantum is not a ground breaker. Romulan Engineers have been doing it for years to supply ship’s with operational energy crafting a sort of artificial quantum singularity. Nor is the relationship between tachyons and quantum unknown to us for use in communications. Its never been however as stable in those practices as it has been within the last five years.”

Returning to the podium, Barlow continued his presentation, snapping through a few further slides that illustrated the specs for one such Romulan core, another illustrating the principles behind interdimensional rifts and the use of beaming tachyons off of these singularities to carry messages. He then stopped the presentation on pictures of Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky and Nathan Rosen.

“In 1935 Einstein, Podolsky, and Rosen were cracking away in deep thought…, probably over a few rounds of ale, discussing Max Planck’s Quantum Theory. They came up with the theory of Quantum Entanglement, which dictates the principle that if you were to take two particles and make them interact in such a way that if you flung one to the other end of the galaxy, they still would influence each other. The signals traveling between are extremely fast, even beyond the speed of light.”

Rick smirked a bit as he finished. “I imagine then, after abiding so much alcohol that Einstein would have probably left the conversation, arms above his head shouting curses at the other two for even suggesting a contradicting theory.”

There was a slight murmur of laughter that echoed throughout the room, Rick slightly scoffing at his own suggestive humor. “Quantum Entanglement though is an actuality. It’s in use even in today’s Federation practices with communications, replacing the aged network of subspace relays in favor of more instantaneous measures using artificial quantum singularities and tachyon particles. We can now communicate to outposts far from our normal relay network.”

Nods and affirmations cluttered the room. It was common knowledge that Starfleet whose ambition grew as much as they wished their territory to grow, had started setting up these relays in acquisition within new found further regions of space allowing for near instantaneous back and forth communication. The system in of itself had been quite simple. A measure of a single pair of artificially entangled particles issued by manipulating them with a tachyon pulse, this pulse turns itself on and off and that difference in energy output measured by the software suites on both ends to compile this, “entangled morse code,” as words and images.

“But data is simplistic. 1s and 0s,” Barlow shrugged as he leaned forward a bit on the podium. “Transferring a human or a crew let alone a starship…, thats something else entirely.”

The bell rang and the students began to stand to their feet. The shuffle of their movements and the efforts of packing laptops and datapads expounding across the room

“Chapters 4 through 7 ladies and gentlemen! It would behoove you to know them before next week. Don’t forget sign-up for the Engineering Concepts Competition will be tomorrow morning after student assembly. I’m expecting to be wowed…,”

The assembly continued to clear out as Barlow’s Secretary, Jamie Coleman, entered from one of the two side doors. She handed him a few messages, most junk others he would so much ignore than just apply any attention towards. There was however one of note, an oddity in the pile of sameness.

“Aegis…,” the Professor murmured, not quite sure what to make of the message. In the pile of Starfleet documentations and letters requesting his reconsideration for retirement, the communique from this Aegis group seemed to stand on its own.
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
Creator and FSF Host: Star Trek Eternity
Writer In: The Dead Fall: Safehouse
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Cassie1708 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:00 pm

PO3 Gabriella Adelaide
Yeoman
USS Hope, Ready Room

Gabriella smiled as she shook Marisol’s hand, just feeling the energy bouncing off of her. She laughed and wondered if the Captain was always going to be like this. She looked around the Ready Room as Marisol mentioned all of the paperwork but it really didn’t look too bad to her. Since it seemed that she wasn’t going to be leaving, she tried to take note of what was going on and what was being said. It was at this point that they were joined by another in the ready room that she nodded to during the introduction.

Just as she was wondering what the next step would be, Marisol moved for everyone to take a seat. Gabby tried to move back out of the way a little bit and took her seat, focusing on remembering the names of those that were currently in front of her. Mere moments after they sat down, the conversation really began with the first gentlemen speaking up about what was going on. She listened and tried to absorb as much information as possible as she wasn’t sure if she should be taking notes on anything for the Captain let alone she didn’t have anything on her to take notes with.

Gabby hadn’t expected to be thrown into things so fast, but in reality it was better that way, kept her busy and didn’t allow her mind to wander. As she sat there, she continued to listen but wasn’t completely sure of everything that was going on. From previously serving aboard a Starbase, she noticed there were definite differences between that and now being aboard a ship. Things were ran differently but did still contain the chain of command and it seemed that the amount of information they received out here was less than what she would see aboard the Starbase. She had never been thrust into it as much as she had already been moved things aboard the Hope.

She refocused herself and looked at the others, taking in the information that was being passed around as well as their general looks and faces. She had a feeling she might be seeing these gentlemen a bit and she did not want to forget who they were or disappoint the Captain. This was definitely going to be an interesting adventure and she was glad that she finally decided to take the plunge that her family had been telling her about. Now, she really would get to see the stars.

<TAG: Ready Room>
-------------------------------------------------------
USS John C Stennis, USS Akira, USS Firewall, Shattered Universe, ME:PL
Cassie1708

Postby FSF Gabe » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:32 am

Professor Richard Barlow
Quantum Mechanics and Engineering Theorist
Rector Institute of Engineering, Saturn Moon, Titan

ON:
Teeth bit into the under curve of his right hand's thumbnail, a nasty habit as he read. The rest of the day for Professor Barlow was uneventful. He didn't have another class to teach thought a few minds did assault him at lunch with an avid conversation being produced about his discovery of tachyon particles relationships with quantum and the consequences therein. It was not illuminating concepts that he didn't already take into consideration, more so had brought time and time again to other respected within the Engineering fields, but like everything of new found wonder, most didn't take into consideration consequences. Rick had thought at one time, with his return and the fact that he had survived associated a mindset that he was going to make things different, but even after dismantling the Eternity. It wasn't long before he caught wind of another project that had the telltale signs. He voiced his concern, stretched into argument that Starfleet was merely not equipped to handle a technology let alone implement it to such a scale as they proposed. Barlow soon left when that same conversation fell upon deafness. Where Starfleet saw power and strength from what Hope had brought back, what all they learned, Rick saw something more vile. The thought that another Eternity had been, or could possibly be built..., it was a notion that he wanted desperately to distance himself from. He had a wife now, a child and he had had his fill of life in the Captain's seat, life as an Engineer for Starfleet R&D. And he had stayed away from nearly three years.

He wanted to return home. Start again, though, in relation to his former ship and his legacy as the man that brought so much back, the celebrity status did hinder much Rick's plans. But eventually he switched to the teaching job, his notions of Quantum Mechanics and the implementations affording him enough prosperity to fix up his family's former estate which had been ignored upon their death. It was foreign to be in such a position, more so to be where his father and mother had been. But that was the life Rick Barlow fell into. Far from the nightmares he endured, far from the deaths that still haunt him and possibly will always haunt him. He had settled into what he could only assume was happiness.

The cab stopped, the door opening and Barlow stepped out, funneling the books and items always on his person in the satchel that was equally on him always. "Say hi to Cheryl for me when you see her Joe," Rick mentioned with a smile as he tapped the side of the transport shuttle, "same time tomorrow?"

"Shouldn't be a problem Red."

Barlow stepped away while Joe smiled and waved, inciting the vehicle to pull to the right as it lifted up from it's landing. it turned easily and pushed on into the above congestion before disappearing beyond his sight. At this Rick turned towards the entry walkway, his footfalls crunching over the pea gravel that carried the path towards the front of the two level Tudor and wrap around front porch. He had kept the old house style, the white stucco, the dark wood accents and the gabled roof.

The pathway fell to patio blocks than stairs, Rick's footsteps taking him to the porch and then through the front door. "Honey I'm home," he bellowed into the well lit interior of the front foyer.

<<Tag Barlows>>
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
Creator and FSF Host: Star Trek Eternity
Writer In: The Dead Fall: Safehouse
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby thepariaheffect » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Entertainment Galaxy
All the Stars from All the Stars!
The 50 Most Interesting People of 2398

#18: Orion Calmest
by Bayza Kaya

He's a familiar face to viewers of our sister program, Entertainment Galaxy Tonight!, but Orion Calmest would hit our list even if he never showed up on our holoprogram. The eternally fresh-faced Calmest is a little bit of everything - rock star lecturer, passionate advocate for AI rights, and well-known fixture in the gossip magazines. Whether he's lecturing to sold-out crowds at the Daystrom Institute or participating in the annual "Concert for Sentient Rights" at the Hollywood Bowl, he's always got an answer ready for the camera. Here are a few thoughts everyone's favorite hologram had when caught up to him at the Cinema Andoria Film Festival:

On vocabulary: "I prefer the term 'synthetic person' to artificial intelligence. No one programmed me, dear - my mind's as unique as anyone else's in the universe"

On fashion: "Why do I go to a tailor instead of changing program's holographic image? Simply put, there's nothing like a freshly tailored suit to make a man feel alive."

On the upcoming anniversary of the Eternity: "Of course I'll be at the celebration this year. I was a late-comer to the vessel, but I like to think that I was a vital part of the crew during its last days in the Delta Quadrant"

On family: "It always comes as a surprise to people when I say I love spending time with my family, but I truly do. My brother's [Starfleet Commander Owen Scott, from whose personality and brain patterns Calmest's own were partially derived] has been especially welcoming to me over the last few years. Can I take a moment to say 'hello' to my adopted mother and father, out there on the U.S.S. Darwin? I guess I just did!"

On being the highest-ranked 'synthetic person' on the list: "It's about time! Better luck next year, Captain Data!"
thepariaheffect

Postby FSF Sail » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:00 pm

Capt. Marisol Vreenak
Commanding Officer
USS Hope

Cdr. Scott wrote:"Ambassador, trust that I have no intention of sharing anything with anyone. As far as I'm concerned, I'm here to evaluate whether our operatives can work with Imperial soldiers if and when we create a lasting peace. My goal is to leave the Hernandez with you and the poor bastard who gets put in permanent command, and to get this job done as efficiently as possible."

Marisol's eyes traveled briefly toward Talla. Owen had offered the fleet standard response to Talla's observation. "Orders is orders," she thought, finding some trouble with the notion that a man of Owen's resourceful nature would find the response satisfactory. Then again, she had lived for several years among the unending penchant for political and intelligence intrigues of the Romulans. She glanced toward her new Yeoman. PO3 Adelaide seemed enthusiastic enough. Obviously, she wasn't prepared for more than a handshake and direction to her quarters. "Better to toss her in head first, the captain mused as Owen handed a PADD to Talla. As he read the screen, she spoke. "Were you given the name of a Romulan adjunct? Someone we should alert?"

<Tag Owen>

During the first two years of Hope's deployment, she'd traversed the Ildius system under the watchful eyes and considerable firepower of no less than two Warbirds. It had taken dedicated effort on both her husband's and her part to grow the seedling of trust that now seemed to garner at least nodding acceptance from the Fleet Commander, not to mention the personnel of the station. Yet, the Erika Hernandez's arrival inspired nothing more than a simple quayside assignment from their hosts. To the captain, this signified either a seismic shift in the level of cooperation between their armed forces, or the more likely outcome, another piece of clandestine maneuvering, a game in motion on a board wreathed in shadow. They would all do well to treat this very carefully....

"Well," Marisol said, "if we need to assign a CO to the Hernandez, I can send my First Offcer, Taran. His presence might cast a new light on the ship herself, and he's proven himself to be capable."

<Tag Owen, Talla, Gabby>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby thepariaheffect » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:08 am

Commander Owen Scott
Starfleet Tactical Operations
USS Hope, Ready Room

Owen shook his head. "Nothing. I was literally thrown into this assignment, Chief. Barely got my duty uniform out of the replicator before it was time to ship out. If anything, you can consider me an attache to the Ambassador for matters of interstellar cooperation, as much as it pains me to say." As Marisol continued, Owen produced yet another PADD and began to furiously type as she continued.

"Taran - I'm assuming he's Romulan. Good choice. Figure we can defray as much of the bad will the name causes as possible with a mixed crew. I'd like to keep CPO O'Bannon at Operations on the ship if possible, but I think it might be helpful to assign Romulan personnel to Chief and Assistant Chief positions as possible. She wasn't my ship for long, but I'd hate to see her get blown out of the sky over a misunderstanding."

Owen glanced around again, carefully handing the next PADD face down to the Captain. He didn't know the Yeoman, and had no reason to distrust her - but then again, he had no real reason to trust her, either. Best to keep some things secret.

"Any further questions, sir?"

====================================

On the PADD:

Eyes Only

Local data only. Eliminate PADD ASAP. Data will revert to Erika Hernandez specs after scrolling to bottom of page.

Not a Starfleet Command mission. Here under SF Intelligence Orders. Assume handler here on Illidus. Will report back any information that endangers cease fire. Saw enough war in '75.

[Tag Ready Room]
thepariaheffect

Postby FSF Sail » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Capt. Marisol Vreenak
Commanding Officer
USS Hope

She lifted the PADD, eyes impassive as she scanned the message on it's screen. After a moment, Marisol scrolled the image downward. The simple text vanished, replaced by the well worn specifications of the Sabre class. The diminutive captain glanced at the spaceframe architecture layouts for a moment, her tongue running over teeth behind closed lips as she considered the situation. "Apparently the Hernandez didn't rate any of the post Eternity upgrades before joining us," Marisol observed, before casually laying the PADD face up on the desk. "It goes without saying that Hope's resources are available to the joint force during your training and eval cycle. How many personnel did you bring for the mission?"

<Tag Owen>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby thepariaheffect » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:07 pm

Commander Owen Scott
Starfleet Tactical
USS Hope, Briefing Room

There are many ways to answer a question. Some of them contain the information that you want to impart. Others contain the information that you need to impart. If you're particularly good, you can find a way to do both.

"Full crew complement was 40 when we left Spacedock. Technically, everyone there is at your disposal." Owen paused, trying to figure out his next move. "I brought the bridge crew along myself - all bridge crew. I'm not as familiar with the others. I'd imagine most of them are necessary for running the day to day, though."

At least, that was the overt message. What he hoped the former chief engineer would recognize was:

Bridge crew is clean - I've vetted them. The rest of the crew was assigned on short notice, so at least one of them is reporting back to Intel. Keep an eye on them.

[Tag Briefing Room]
thepariaheffect

Postby Sonja Kinnunen » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:23 pm

Ambassador Talla Vreenak
Ready Room, U.S.S. Hope

Unnecessary assurances aside, Vreenak casually looked over at Scott as he pulled out a PADD. The Romulan blinked slowly as the man began to talk of a 'diplomatic project.' Slowly he reached over to take the device. Really, this 'request' was outside of the usual channels; did he not have enough to contend with without someone's pet project? The work needed to keep two Empires from descending into war...

Vreenak stilled for a moment. His eyes widened ever so slightly as he quickly got the 'gist' of the PADD's contents before they shifted in Owen's direction a second time.

The Ambassador was silent as Marisol addressed the matter of a Commanding Officer. The Captain and Commander exchanged a few words, which Vreenak deigned not to interrupt. Why break the flow? The two of them had something pertinent to discuss -- even a novice in Intelligence or Spying could figure that out. And while there was a time years ago Talla Vreenak would have been barely a novice, experience was not something he lacked any longer. You didn't survive politics through sheer public renown, after all.

A soft clearing of the throat, the PADD lifted a bit in one hand. "An interesting 'project,' Commander. Know a Tal Shiar Agent will undoubtedly spend many nights combing through this dossier for hidden messages." The Ambassador looked over at Scott with a small smile. No, he didn't expect the man had a nine-year old incorporate hidden messages, but that wouldn't stop someone from looking for them -- whether they existed or not. He just hoped the man didn't rib a Tal Shiar about it later; they often lacked the slightest sense of humor (or so they said).

Five pages of questions. Diplomatic project... it was a remote interrogation. Well, he should find a way to make the reply suitably appropriate somehow. A blunt list certainly wouldn't do; it was not an interrogation, after all. Although, he wondered... "Tribble Trouble Buddies?"

<<Tag Ready Room>>
Sonja Kinnunen
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Sail » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Capt. Marisol Vreenak
Commanding Officer
USS Hope

Cdr. Scott wrote:"Full crew complement was 40 when we left Spacedock. Technically, everyone there is at your disposal. I brought the bridge crew along myself - all bridge crew. I'm not as familiar with the others. I'd imagine most of them are necessary for running the day to day, though."

Again, her question had been answered with a redirect. "What the hell is going on?" Marisol asked herself in silence, all the while nodding her understanding of Owen's response.

Ambassador Vreenak wrote:"An interesting 'project,' Commander. Know a Tal Shiar Agent will undoubtedly spend many nights combing through this dossier for hidden messages."

She was about to fire off yet another question, before the sight of Talla.....smiling.....cut off any further inquiries that might come to mind. "Well," Marisol said as she straightened in her chair. 'I think that about covers it, for the time being. We've all had a long trip, and I'm certain you two are as ready to take a break as I am." She rose to her feet, inviting the others to do so as she came around the desk. "Yeoman," Marisol said pleasantly, "please join me for breakfast here at 0700. Commander Scott," she said, her voice taking a stern tone, "I'm going to forget that not once during this meeting did you bother to show me pictures of your kids. You can make good on that tomorrow night, if you'll come to dinner? I've been practicing a number of variations on Romulan recipies. My husband tells me that they are "quite sufficient," Marisol offered with a grin. "I'd like to get another perspective. Our house, 1900 hours?"

<Tag Ready Room>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby Mia Cummings » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:56 pm

Amelia 'Mia' Barlow
Professor of Sciences, Secondary Education
Titan Public School System

Barlow wrote:The pathway fell to patio blocks than stairs, Rick's footsteps taking him to the porch and then through the front door. "Honey I'm home," he bellowed into the well lit interior of the front foyer.

Amelia smiled at the sound of her husbands voice. "In the kitchen, Sweetheart," She called out from behind the counter as she put the finishing touches on their dinner.

Maddy came running out from the Living Room squealing with delight, "DADDY'S HOME!" She proudly held up a drawing she'd done during Art class. "Daddy, I drew your old ship, See!! Did I get it right? The teacher was talking about it in school today. She said I was born on the ship. Is that true? That means I'm a space girl, that's what Drona said, Is he right? " The picture sort of resembled a starship or a whale, depending on your focal point.

Amelia chuckled as she came out of the kitchen, "Give Daddy a minute to relax Sweetie," She said gently as she leaned over to kiss Rick on the cheek. "Dinner's almost ready. So, how was your day, Dear?"

<Tag Rick>
Mia Cummings; AMO/Lt.: USS John C Stennis - CSEC/Lt.: USS Stargazer SFOL * Sa'Ra;Security Officer/Ensign: USS Firewall * Cdr. Amber (Tamara) Darius-Belmont - Chief Medical Officer: USS Atlantis * Lt Amelia "Mia" Moore, CSCI; USS Eternity *
Mia Cummings
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to In-Character Roleplay