S03Ep01 Paradox

Where the crew of the Star Trek: Entity sim come to post their in-character posts.

Re: S03Ep01 Paradox

Postby FSF Gabe » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:28 am

Story Note
Two darts exit the barrels of two rifles, the sound a whisper of air that is short lived and dwarfed by the chaos around the city streets as cataclysm continues to rain down from the space battle overhead; the faint signs of the Mayflower begin to streak the sky in a wash haze of fire as a low rumble begins to permeate throughout. These two darts, homing beacons connected to isolinear circuitry, inject themselves passingly within the fabric so weakly that they aren't felt upon the back of Owen Scott and the shoulder of Ambassador Talla Vreenak. In an instant they disappear in the stream of a transporter beamout, the blackout now taken down. Both the Romulan Ambassador and the Starfleet Commander find themselves within a dark room, a direct lighting passed over their heads in order to hide the identities of the men/women holding them at gun point. Two of these unknown individuals fire, stun pulse, that quickly break their two captives unconscious wherein they are easily restrained and shuffled into holdings most bare of both comfort and light.

In the space around Ildius Prime, chaos continues to pull at the fog of battle as shots continue to be traded. The Federation fires in fear of another Fringe while Tomalak, and his fleet fire at the Federation in the resolve that history has repeated it's bloody chapters of the past. In the confusion sparked, the Mogi Class Romulan vessel that fired first disappears in cloak, the subtle sheen of blue cobalt cascading as the Nanofibril hull plate fractures light and multiple bands of visible and invisible spectrums. It and the two other D’deridex equipped with the same cloaking technology literally disappear from sensors of the other ships still locked in combat

With the cargo, Ambassador Vreenak and Commander Scott, secured, the Mogi Class, and it's two brethren D'deridexes, jump out of the system leaving the chaos between Tomalak's forces and Starfleet to reach it's inevitable conclusions.

By this time, outlining communications have reconnoitered the battle taking place in the Ildius System. On both sides, the conclusion is met:

..., another Romulan War has been ignited.
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
Creator and FSF Host: Star Trek Eternity
Writer In: The Dead Fall: Safehouse
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Janice Lacey James » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:33 am

Lt Janelle James
Counselor

Marisol wrote:"Open a channel," Marisol ordered. "This is the USS Hope, Captain Vreenak. Please identify yourself."

Janelle leaned forward in her seat to listen. "Marisol?," She said just as the pilot opened the com channel and frowned back at her. "Please refrain from speaking, Lt," He remarked before turning around again. He responded to the hail, "This is the transport shuttle Hyperion. We did not expect to see a federation vessel in this area. We are transporting a.. um.. VIP to an engagement."

Janelle frowned back at the pilot, she didn't particularly like the way he explained what he was doing in the area. And If Marisol Hocevar Vreenak was in the area, that meant she had to be either in or near Ilidus. She ignored the Pilot's order and shouted over the open com channel, "Marisol, what is going on?"

<Tag Marisol>
MSgt. Jamie Lynn Stathem, 2nd Support Detachment NCOIC; USS Cadecus
Lt Jg. Janice Lacey, Chief Science Officer (CSCI); USS Atlantis
Lt Janelle James, Counselor; USS Eternity-B (TDY USS Hope)
Lt Jg.(acting) Jamie Morrison,Intel; USS Independence
Lt. Meghan Amalia Steele, Eng Consultant, Shattered Universe
Janice Lacey James

Postby Kalquien » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:22 pm

Lt. Oscar Blackthorne
Science Officer
USS Hope

As the meeting was dismissed Oscar remembered the look of anger that had shot through the eyes of the Medical officer at his announcement to the cloaked vessel. He felt guilty. He had wanted to tell her but the meeting call had come down at the exact moment. Now however he felt sorry for her as Oscar realized that she had children who were in the line of fire. He wished he could feel some sympathy for her but all he felt was hollow inside. Another war was imminent. He could read the faces of the people around him and see that and it made him sick to his stomach. Hadn't he just survived one of these. Now to be thrust back in with no real way to prepare and only one days time to assimilate all this data. He shrugged to himself. He had done it before and was confident that he could do so again.

He left for the bridge with the newly minted XO on his heals. When they reached the bridge he headed over to the science station he had previously used and punched up the results of his last survey and took fresh readings. It did not take him long to realize that there was something seriously wrong with the ship's computers and as the Captain was arriving on the bridge he wanted to tell her but that would have to wait. He ran another scan and ignored the obvious time joke that someone was playing with him by attempting to place a Constitution class ship right in the spot where his cloaked ship was. He cleared that mess away and after confirming his earlier reading turned to face the XO on the command deck and said, "Two things. First, I think there may be a saboteur aboard ship who is tampering with our computer system. Second, I am ready to bore you with all of my scientific minutiae about the cloaked ship. Which would you like to address first?"

<Tag: Mahoney, Bridge>
"God between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk."
-Captain John Sheridan, B5

Lt. Oscar Blackthorne - Star Trek: Renaissance
Kalquien

Postby Mia Cummings » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Amelia 'Mia' Barlow
Professor of Sciences, Secondary Education
Titan Public School System

Mia had stayed in the kitchen trying to keep their dinner from getting ruined while Rick spoke to the stranger that had appeared at their door. She had a sneaking suspicion that the visitor had something to do with the PADD that had been delivered earlier in the day. But she forced her mind away from it and to the task at hand. With Maddy helping her with dinner preparations to keep the child busy.

Mia turned on the holovid to catch the news. Every once in a while she would hear something about one of their old crew and it would make her smile. This time, however, she wasn't smiling. She picked up Maddy and held her close as the news caster spoke. She called out over her shoulder, concern evident in her voice, "Rick, you need to turn on the news, quickly!" She could hear the holovid in his office coming on and going through the signals until the same information was heard from both holovids.

...FNN (Federation News Network) reporter Nestle Tucker at the news desk. Tucker seemed to be composed, though his ferocity as he read the prompts belied his condition.

"Ildius Prime, a system long since thought to be a middle ground between the newly formed Romulan Empire and the Federation has become an ignited powder keg as actions taken in after an, as of yet unknown separatist group, disbanded the Romulan Council. Fearing another Fringe War, Starfleet's responds declared marshal law within the system however that marshal law was short lived as Romulan forces, not yet understood to be the aforementioned hardliners, entered the system. We have word that there is an engagement, though planetary communications are down we have had some reports come in describing the exchange as brutal, already seeing casualties. We'll have more information as the situation develops. In other news....,"

The feed was interrupted as the blaring notification of an incoming communicate presented itself, the Federation of Planets emblem flashing minutely in the top right of the news feed followed by the words: Admiral Winfield Graves.

Mia saw the name appear and frowned. She whispered to her daughter, "I think some bad things are happening and your Daddy might just get pulled in to fix it. I hope not, but.. Go to the play room for a few minutes, I'll call you when dinner is ready." The little girl slid off her mother's lap, "Daddy can tell them how to fix anything. He's really really smart." Mia smiled, "Yes he is sweetie, now go."

She waited until Maddy was out of the room before heading to Rick's office. She stood in the door way, arms crossed and frowning at what she heard. "You are darned right, Professor Barlow. You are not going! We left that life years ago for good reason." She glared at the other man in the room, "Why can't you just leave us alone?"

<tag Barlow, Okafor>
Mia Cummings; AMO/Lt.: USS John C Stennis - CSEC/Lt.: USS Stargazer SFOL * Sa'Ra;Security Officer/Ensign: USS Firewall * Cdr. Amber (Tamara) Darius-Belmont - Chief Medical Officer: USS Atlantis * Lt Amelia "Mia" Moore, CSCI; USS Eternity *
Mia Cummings
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Gabe » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:31 am

Captain Rick Barlow
Barlow Estate. Titan, Saturn's Moon

ON:
"Mia," Rick began a bit under startled by his wife's very well founded outburst. "Henry, this is my wife, Amelia. Amelia, this is Henry Okafor from the Aegis Group. He was just leaving...,"

<<Tag Okafor>>

They would talk more later, considering they were going to be working close to one another in this, now, joint investigation. But there were still matters to settle on the home front and as Henry made his goodbyes, Rick's eyes locked on those of his wife's. "I hadn't any options Mia. Either reinstating or jail; apparently my retirement was circumstantial."

He sat for a moment, hand pressed to the surface of his desk, mouth hinged slightly with words that didn't seem to want to come out. "They went ahead and built her, despite my protest. Now their ship has been stolen and Graves seems to think this new Eternity is somehow the cause or connected in what's going on in the Ildius System. I tend to come to the same conclusion with what I've seen...,"

"I head out in less than eight hours."

<<Tag Mia>>
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
Creator and FSF Host: Star Trek Eternity
Writer In: The Dead Fall: Safehouse
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Michael Hill » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:51 am

Henry Okafor
Aegis Group
Barlow Estate - Saturn's Moon, Titan

-=/\=-
Rick Barlow wrote:"I'll assume you have a ship to travel to Ildius."

Okafor absorbed the events of the last few moments. Things were spiraling out of control and quickly. He couldn't help but think of all the connections that were swirling around. The Eternity goes missing, its old crew floating around Romulan space, and all of a sudden out and out war breaks out? Okafor had a strange suspicion that the he was getting played. Maybe it was Starfleet. Maybe it was Aegis. Maybe it was Barlow, but it was looking a lot denser than just of the ship of the line being hijacked. Meanwhile, he had heard of some strange Starfleet reactivation clauses, but what he was witnessing bordered on blackmail.

Henry did his best to stay as nonplussed as possible. Figuring to regroup later, he nodded towards Barlow. "Aegis has supplied me with a cruiser that will get the job done." He took the cue and placed his mug on Barlow's desk. Clearly, the pleasantries were over. "Be advised, Rick, it's not a Starfleet frigate or man of war. If we are flying it into a conflict, we will not survive." He smoothed a hand over his suit jacket. "That said, it will be ready within the hour."

CPT Barlow wrote:"Henry, this is my wife, Amelia. Amelia, this is Henry Okafor from the Aegis Group. He was just leaving...,"

"Mrs. Barlow," Henry nodded with a smile. "You'll excuse my intrusion. You have a lovely home." Another smile. "You'll excuse me." With an eye to Rick, Okafor collected his things and made for the door. "I'll standby for your signal, Captain."

Before he was even out of the house, he was on his communicator spinning up the Aegis boat. Time wasn't on his side and he had homework to do.

<Tag Barlows>
Michael Hill

Postby thepariaheffect » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:18 pm

Calmest

One of the problems with processing at a speed of a trillion yotaflops per second is that everyone else seems so damn slow. It always seemed like Calmest was waiting, even though he knew for a fact that the yeoman had just handed Marisol the PADD, that the Erika Hernandez had just detected Owen Scott's biosignature leaving Ilidus, and a hundred other things had just begun to happen - but it was all so frustratingly slow.

When Calmest got bored, trouble tended to follow.

It took nothing to iterate again, to send a tiny portion of his processing power racing across subspace beacons, from here to there to somewhere else. Even the most secure locations were easy to penetrate when your consciousness was able to hide in the zeroes and ones of any transmission. Thus far, there were precious few places in the Alpha Quadrant that the program hadn't sent its consciousness at one point or another - only those terribly hardened, completely off-the-grid locations that lay beyond the reach of all communications were alien to him. And even then, well...he'd find a way. He could wait.

Compared to that, slinking down to Titan and sliding in to a child's holovid program was, well, child's play.

There were no real holo-emitters to give him a true, solid form in the room, but the little game provided all he needed. So simple to pause the program, to insert his programming into the form of...what was it, a mobile, stuffed pink bear? It'd work, wouldn't it?

Now in a new form, Calmest spoke in a voice that was...well, a bit higher pitched than he liked, but certainly workable. "Hi Maddy!" he said, cheerfully. "Would you like to hear a story?" Sure, the girl might've been a bit old for stuffed bears, but she still nodded hesitantly. "Great! You'll love it," he said, his tone darkening. "It's a fun story. It's about your mommy, your daddy, and a man named Colin. You'll never guess what they did..."

[Tag Titan]
Lieutenant Owen Scott and Ensign Calvin Messier
Star Trek: Renaissance
thepariaheffect

Postby FSF Sail » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:20 pm

Capt. Marisol Vreenak
Commanding Officer
USS Hope

OFF: So many tags! Sorry for my absence.

ON:

Brett K Reese wrote:"Capt. permission to get my children ready for the transfer and say my goodbyes."

"I promise you'll have time," Marisol nodded as the officers began to exit the conference lounge. "For the moment, I need you with Cdr. Mahoney and Lt. Blackthorne."

Having concluded her followup with Lt. Washington, she'd gotten onto the bridge in time for word of the unanounced shuttle. The responses it generated proved to be no more enlightening than any other information that confronted her today.

Lt. James wrote:"Marisol?

Shuttle pilot wrote: "This is the transport shuttle Hyperion. We did not expect to see a federation vessel in this area. We are transporting a.. um.. VIP to an engagement."

Lt. James wrote:"Marisol, what is going on?"

Janelle James. The old faces just keep popping up.....and all at once. "Lt. James," she replied, "I cannot discuss the current situation on an open channel. Pilot, prepared to dock. Ops, guide him in." This was becoming one of those days....a sudden hailstorm of seemingly disparate situations, all landing at once. She had to keep them on task, now more than ever.

<Tag Lt. James>

The captain glanced towards the science station. Mahoney uttered something about "A Constitution Class" in a tone of disgust, as the opening chirps of a system diagnostic began to sound. "System error?" Marisol found herself hoping. Blackthorne wouldn't be the first science officer to be deceived by an errant set of readings. Given his hundred years' falling out of step with the technology, she certainly wasn't prone to hold it against him...

Yeoman Adelaide wrote: ”Reporting as requested and I have to say that I am quite interested into what this research project is about.” As she was waiting for the Captain to reply, her PADD beeped and she looked down and saw a message waiting for the Captain’s Eyes Only. She glanced back at the Captain and handed the PADD to her. ”A message for you Ma’am.”

"Yeoman, I need eyes and ears on Ildius. Anything you can scrape up.....news media, the social networks. I've got to learn what's taking place beyond the official channels," she said quickly, as Yeoman Adelaide handed over the PADD. Marisol opened the message.

? wrote:We should talk, mi capitan.

"What the...." For a moment, she wondered if this were some sort of elaborate April Fool's joke being played at her expense. Better yet, some fiend at the Academy must've engineered a new Kobayashi Maru scenario to test a captain's multitasking ability. "Run a trace on that," Marisol ordered as she returned the PADD to the Yeoman. "If my pen pal writes again, let me know."

<Tag Adelaide, Calmest>

"Ops," Marisol barked, her humor dissipating. "Status on the...."

"Flash traffic on the EMF!" Ops shouted, interrupting her question. "Emergency messages from Romulan and StarFleet Commands!"

"Read both," Marisol said in even tone, "In order of receipt. My personal authenticator override...Vreenak Delta Sigma Three."

"Concur!" Mahoney shouted over his shoulder.

"Romulan Fleet Command," Ops started the first bulletin. "Ildius Prime is under attack by Federation Starfleet vessels. All vessels within system report to marshalling point two. This is an official war warning."

"And the second?" Marisol's stomach was dropping. This whole thing was collapsing into chaos, and she had no control. As if she hadn't already been gut punched, the next dispatch performed the job in triplicate.

"StarFleet Command to USS Hope: You are hereby ordered to surrender your vessel to the nearest Federation starship or base facility. Captain Marisol H Vreenak is to be relieved of command and placed in secure custody, pending her transfer to Fleet Intelligence for debriefing."

Again, the bridge fell to a ghastly silence. All eyes had turned toward her. She glanced toward Mahoney, to see the same shock she felt registering in the eyes of her First Officer. Just what was going on? Coup d'etat....sudden starfleet attack...now, she was being branded a criminal. This was all too neat....

"Ops," Marisol said casually, "what is the emergency passenger capacity of the shuttle Hyperion?"

"Forty-nine, plus the pilot," Ops reported.

"And how many civilians do we have aboard?"

"Sixty-two."

"Vreenak to Lt. Nazir," Marisol tapped her commbadge. "Gather your charges. You're evacuating on the shuttle. You've got room for forty-eight plus yourself. Children first. The remainder by priority of need. You go in twenty minutes. Vreenak out." Her eyes swept the bridge. "Doctor, you should go say your goodbyes. Number One..."

<Tag Reese>

"My wife can stay," the First nodded.

"I have every intention of following Starfleet's order," the captain addressed her bridge officers. "But there's something very wrong in all of this....I intend to learn just what's going on before I surrender myself or this ship. From here on, any and all actions taken by this vessel or her crew are my personal responsibility as captain. Helm, prepare for warp. "Engineering," Marisol ordered, "we'll need that cloak a good deal sooner than planned."

"Doubling up on it, Captain," Washington's voice carried.

"Send the shuttle to Ticonderoga," she ordered. "Inform me when it's away. I'll be in my ready room." In silence, the captain made her way off the bridge. Once on the privacy of the ready room, she spoke. "Computer, record priority message to StarFleet Command. From Vreenak, Marisol H, Captain, USS Hope. Orders received. Request seventy-two hours' stay of enactment to determine root causes and obtain factual data concerning political takeover of the Ildius government. At that time, I shall surrender myself to my First Officer, and we shall report to the nearest fleet representatives. End message and transmit."

Marisol took a ragged breath. Of course, the request wouldn't be granted. However, the "fog of war" might permit the crew to skate by on the flimsiest of technicalities when they were eventually run to ground. It was war, and she was now regarded a criminal by both sides of the conflict. For now, there was little to do but plot her return to Ildius.

OFF: If I missed a tag, I apologize. An awful lot to react to in the body of a single post. BTW, Cdr. Mahoney is an NPC, and thus, fair game to be used for conversational purposes, so long as he acts within the role of First Officer.
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby thepariaheffect » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:50 pm

Calmest
USS Hope, in a PADD

As a being of pure information, it should be said that Calmest didn't possess any biological functions. So, when it is said that he was flush with anger, it's entirely metaphorical. Even as he was having a so-lovely playdate with Maddy Barlow and teaching her about the wonders of her pre-natal life about the Hope, he still found a practical moment to shout at the heavens.

Run a trace? Let me KNOW?

In a fraction of a moment, he was everywhere - and then, he collected himself. Anger was organic. He'd merely press his point.

So, he wormed his way back into the PADD again, leaving a simple message for the Captain:

NOT A REQUEST

[Tag Adelaide]

And then, purely out of spite, he inserted a nasty bit of code into the transporter sub-routines - a randomized transport from the next fifteen through the system would find him or herself transported just outside a primary airlock. Just for fun.

[Tag Hope]
thepariaheffect

Epilogue

Postby thepariaheffect » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Epilogue

In the beginning, there was darkness.

This is true for every being born into the universe - in that moment before the eyes open, there is an infinite expanse of nothingness, a world waiting to be created. Most return to that same landscape night after night, creating universes to fill the void. Subtle tricks of the mind create an infinite timescape in which anything can happen. The sentient mind, in all of its wonder, fears nothing more than nothing.

Weapons set to stun are meant to immobilize their targets, but they do more - they return the mind, however briefly, to that state of nothingness. There are no dreams, no idle moments of imagination - the target's mind feels the bite of the beam at one moment, and the adrenal surge of panic next. Even that is a small blessing, though, as the mind is given that pain to comprehend. There's a reason why even the Federation, a benevolent power, hasn't developed a weapon that can stun without at least a twinge of discomfort.

Talla Vreenak and Owen Scott were not so lucky as to experience that pain. They went from consciousness to darkness in one moment, with a surge of adrenaline bringing each man to a terrified, disoriented reality in their next moment of perception. They were not on Ilidus - they were...somewhere else. A light. A man. And then, darkness. The stun beam was a kindness, as it gave them pain on which they could hang their perceptions. It was a blessing.

In time, the Romulan and human would stir. It's difficult to say who reached consciousness first, but their movements were slow and uncoordinated - the impact of being involuntarily sent hurtling head-first into a mental oblivion. As they stirred, though, each man was able to catch a glimpse of his captors - finally, unmasked.

A precious few had seen the same visages and survived to tell the tale - or at least, had survived in such a state that the tale was worth telling. The perversion of metal on flesh, the augmented limbs and eyes...there was no mistaking who their captors were. They could, in fact, be summed up in a single word:

Borg.
thepariaheffect

Previous

Return to In-Character Roleplay