S02Ep11 Broken City

Where the crew of the Star Trek: Entity sim come to post their in-character posts.

S02Ep11 Broken City

Postby FSF Gabe » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:14 am

Season 2
The Legacy, a computer program that caters the ability to predict the future has prophesied the end for humanity. The Council, an unseen unheard backbone of the Federation, who has used the Legacy to stay two steps ahead of the prophecy, turn from preparing the Federation for the end, to combating it as new variable information is introduced into the Legacy's quantum equation, "The Prophet." With this, the Council moves to building a new ship, the most technological advanced starship ever created, and with that forging a new crew, the best and brightest that the Federation has. The ship will be known as the Eternity, and her crew will be the last best hope for saving humanity.

But are The Council's acts going against the Legacy, circumventing its dire prophecy, or, are they just another stepping stone to mankind's inescapable fate?

Episode 11 "Broken City"
The starship Hope and crew, having found alliance with the Hirogens journey to the planet Concord 3 in the hopes of finding the remnants of the Voth, a powerful saurian species that presumably evolved from beings originally native to the planet Earth. With their once significant technology and advanced teleportation and cloaking practices, Rick Barlow and crew hope to forge an alliance to take the fight back to the Borg Collective and Eternity.
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (**)

Prologue

Postby FSF Gabe » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:03 pm

“For Them. We Will Live.”
By Gabriel “The Writer” Logan

ON:
Many had died, Hagar knew this, he could see the blips of the Voth fighters and carriers disappearing, flickering red before the Borg Collective’s armada consumed them into fire. They weren’t assimilating, the first shots fired were fired without warning and the Circle had severely underestimated the Collective’s resolve.

For long the Voth had ignored the conflict that held in it’s earliest beginnings, since the destruction of the Collective, the threat of them venturing as far as to the Sphere was all but an illusion. But consideration for preparedness, for proper placement of defensive measures brought to the Circle’s attention by Hagar himself had been widely ignored. And now the Sphere and all the Voth that lived within and around were about to faultier to the Collective’s might.

The Machine Wars, as they had heard it to be called, had reached them.

“Minster,” came a voice, another poised over the holographic control and sensor data readouts that floated freely around the spherical room, “we’ve lost Norpin…,”

Hagar watched, his eyes widening in horror as the city sized ship fractured, the large chasm expelling fire and fragments along with the Voth that lived within. Millions lost in a blink of an eye. The Minister of Defense was staggered, his shock clearly playing upon his features as the other, his second, tried desperately to give orders. Her words becoming more and more distant, the shouts and commands now being issued out of desperation simply muffled garble grunts to Hagar as he watched the line of the Collective’s fleet continue forward to the Sphere.

“…, sound retreat…, open the hatches…,”

“No…,” Hagar began finally coming to the fold as everything around him began to crumble. “Seal us. Close the Sphere. Close everything. Seal everyone inside.”

“But Minister…,”

“We will be safe here, everyone will be safe inside.”

It was true, the measure of the Sphere’s construction around the G-Type star allowed for nearly an infinite source of power. They had spent years, lifetimes constructing it, populating it with lifeforms and repopulating their own species. They no longer dwelled in, “city ships,” but constructed worlds around stars, using the natural energy as a catalyst for creating a home. Now that home would be their tomb where they would seal themselves.

“Minster, we still have several outsides, thousands if not millions.”

“I know.” It was all Hagar could say seeing this first of the Voth ships turning back towards the Sphere, desperately trying to flee from the Borg assault. They wouldn’t be able to stop at the speed they were going, wouldn’t be able to turn back, the ships would be trapped in the Sphere’s gravitational well.

“Minister Hagar?”

“You have you orders…, execute them….,”

The order was confirmed and given to those responsible for closing the hundreds of hatchways that surrounded the Sphere, the great doors closing slowly. It wasn’t long before that the Sphere’s communication lines were attacked with rapid requests to dock, to return to the security within. But they were cries that would go unanswered as the last of the hatches were sealed and the docks within went cold.

“The Sphere is sealed…,” the second breathed, a struggle to play the words passing hints of a shiver upon her lips.

“We will live..,” Hagar presented, seeing the first few ships collide with the Sphere, the momentous explosions rippling along the construct of the Sphere’s surface of which was joined almost continuously by others that could not turn.

“…, for them. We will live.”
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
Creator and FSF Host: Star Trek Eternity
Writer In: The Dead Fall: Safehouse
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (**)

Re: S02Ep11 Broken City

Postby FSF Gabe » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:06 am

Captain Rick Barlow
Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Hope
U.S.S. Hope, Ready Room

Captain's Log Stardate 64110.96
In the interest of keeping a log in place should our efforts fail, I'm continuing to make these things despite my earlier convictions.

The Zahara reality program has seized in function and all Hirogen and Human captives that can be freed have been, add to that we've gotten quite the steady influx of crewmen willing to sign from both species and a handful of others and I would say this little venture was worth the travel. We've already gotten a full roster and the necessarily supplies to keep everything in working order though still not enough to maintain warp for as long as we would like. Marisol has an idea on that end, but I haven't spoken to her of it yet. Meantime my First and Second Officers have had their hands full evaluating the new recruits, assigning them positions and field ranks as necessary. Dr. Reese and our ship's counselor Janelle James are seeing to the more fractured patients, helping out the Hirogens where best we can. Moral seems to be high now with what has been achieved and the alliance between Hope and the Hirogen remnants seems as strong as strong can be. Personally I can't wait to sleep, to shower and shave and actually have a bridge schedule.

All in all things are looking up, but what we must do further might be too hard of a river to cross...,

Eternity is the reason I believe for this End the Council's Legacy described for Mankind. I believe our actions in creating the ship and investigating the Delta Quadrant was all arranged and I'll be damned if James Maxwell didn't see that. I've never been one to believe in fate, but it just seems too damn perfect for the Borg to suddenly have a resurgence AND the Eternity in it's pockets. My intention is still home, but we have to go through the Borg to get there, further, if Eternity survives, the homecoming will be short lived. Its a battle that can't be avoided and I intend to do as much damage to the Collective's new prize as possible while hopefully continuing our journey back. It might come that we can't do both..., and its something that keeps me awake. I've wondered about at least getting a transmission back to the Federation, to the Council, but out here among the wreckage of war, there isn't much in the way of transmission relays.

I still need to contact Garrett and see if the Syndicate has mobilized it's forces to the rendezvous point, our intended destination after everything settles on Ha'Dara. We have quite the fleet of Hirogen warships to add to it. Contacting the Red King will have to wait as I've taken it upon myself to see to two new recruits, a Lieutenant Commander Halvorsson and an Owen Scott. Both apparently Starfleet Officers that were trapped as many in the Zahara program. Should be an interesting conversation...,

Captain Rick Barlow stepped off the turbolift and onto the Bridge, the few that saw him standing at attention. "As you were," he muttered, a smirk crossing his face to see the Bridge at it's current state of near readiness and the officers that now manned the facility fully. There wasn't issue now, the roster was damn full, further they've had to beat many back with a stick. It was refreshing to see.

"Ambrose," the Captain began passing over towards Ops, "start running through disembarking procedures. Head count, general orders to board. We leave in the next six hours. Have all crew check in and our manifests in order. Get in touch with me when Vreenak and Byrne return to their stations."

<<Tag Ambrose>>

"Anam, same for you. Make sure she's ready to take off in six hours time. Coordinate with Engineering during engine startup."

<<Tag Farooqi>>

The Ready Room doors opened and Barlow walked through. "My apologies gentlemen for the delay," he began rounding around Owen's left and taking a seat behind his desk, "getting the ship back in order...,"

On his desk he picked up a PADD, it contained much of the information gleamed from Starfleet database, at least, what Hope had on hand. "Lieutenant Commander Halvorsson. Texan, Special Operations during the conflict with the Klingon Empire, early 22nd century. High marks at the academy back in the those days, ran a bit of a crew before being declared MIA and then KIA after." Rick set the PADD down on his desk, leaning back in his chair. "Never to know that he would wake up years and years later." He rubbed at the stubble on his face before leaning forward. "Tell you the truth Mr. Halvorsson it isn't the most bizarre tale thats come out of this whole Ha'Dara thing. Not really in the top ten. But you're a good officer, trained in a field we're in a mind to recruit for and we've gotten quite the influx of personnel in place for the Security Department. If you do decide to stay aboard, you'll be given a field rank at Lieutenant, just until you get your sea-legs."

<<Tag Halvorsson>>

"Mr. Scott," Rick pulled the conversation, "the same applies to you as well. Should you wish to join in service of this ship and it's cause I'll be placing you in Tactical Operations. Your position will not only place you in charge of ship engagement during fleet maneuvers, weapons and armory, but also put you over the Security Department when necessary. Your main goal is of ship concerns with this area, but you will be working with Halvorsson when it comes to the men. You'll be involved in that process and will accompany during special operations. Such is the case I'll be placing your field rank at Lieutenant as well."

<<Tag Scott>>

Another two PADDs were produced, laid before the two. "We've gotten quite the influx of personnel for this department almost to the point where we might be able to have a more military detachment considering a large number of those recruits are Hirogen. I'll let you two decide on the best course, but respect that the final say goes to Commander Vreenak on these matters and also respect the chain of command when it comes to the interior hierarchy of the department. Lieutenant Halvorsson is the Chief Security Officer responsible for the men, but Lieutenant Scott your the final word before Commander Vreenak."

The Captain again leaned back. "Are we clear gentlemen."
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (**)

Postby thepariaheffect » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:42 pm

Lieutenant Owen Scott
Tactical Operations
U.S.S. Hope

Owen suppressed a grin, instead nodding at the captain before accepting the PADD. He briefly scanned over the data, culling what information he could in glance. The security department was a mess, to be sure, but the structure was there. The addition of the Hirogen survivors would create a robust, if oversized, department, but he was sure that Halvorsson would keep them in line. Focusing on the bigger picture would be an interesting task, albeit one for which he found himself recently well-suited.

Integrating a lifetime of scheming, plotting and leadership into his psyche still wasn't a particularly easy task, but it did have its benefits. Before Ha'dara, he likely would have deferred the position of authority to an officer with more experience - or honestly, to almost any officer at all. After his experiences in the fantasy reality, Owen felt significantly more comfortable in his own body and with his own capabilities. If the CO thought he was worth placing in Tactical Ops, that's where he'd go.

"It's an honor, sir," he said, after the brief moment of deliberation. "I'm sure that we'll be able to find a way to integrate the new security personnel and turn the situation to our advantage. Pending Commander Vreenak's approval, of course."

[TAG Barlow, Halvorsson]
Lieutenant Owen Scott and Ensign Calvin Messier
Star Trek: Renaissance
thepariaheffect

Postby Berzerker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:41 am

Halvorsson looked at the Captain, "Sir, It is a little unnerving to find out you were declared MIA/KIA. I read the data on the cryostasis system down there. They found me floating in space, frozen in cryostatic ice. They saved my life. I think they were using my brain, like the brains of others to promote the holographic reality. It was like Dreaming. I dreamt about being a short, drunk, flatulent, well we know what kind of person I dreamed about. Not much different other than the height, and the amount of drinking." He took a deep breath. He looked at Barlow, "I also think I might owe Commander Vreenak an Apology. I do believe that I was correct that he might need a class in Interpersonal Skills, like many Romulans, and some Humans, especially those of Norse Ancestry." He was acknowledging that there was a good chance he needed the same course, and making a joke out of it. "I just should not have put it the way I did. I should not have called him the Romulan Word for Ass Crack." He took a deep breath, "As far as the Command Decision for Rank of Lieutenant, I understand Sir. I will do my best to return to my Previous Rank." He looked at he Pips on the Desk, and picked them up, "I assume that these go on the Uniforms that I told were in my Quarters."

<Tag Barlow>

Halvorson looked at Lt Scott, "Lieutenant, I assume you were born in a more recent time period. I would like your help on getting me up to speed on Modern Systems." He looked at Barlow, "Captain, once I get situation, I will get you and the LT a preliminary update on the Security Status. I will also put in a request to set up ReQuals and Training for different Sub Departments within Security."

OOC: Barlow, I am going to email you with an idea for the Security Department Break Down and Set up.
<Tag Barlow and Scott>
Berzerker

Postby FSF Gabe » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:31 am

Captain Rick Barlow
U.S.S. Hope, Ready Room

ON:
Rick nodded to the question posed by Halvorson.

"The best way to apologize to Vreenak is to show you're worth to the ship and crew. Considering what we know of your records Halvorsson, I felt it best to place you in this position onboard. You're a good officer, and know what to do when things go south, and make the best of it."

Again he rubbed at his chin hairs. "You'll do fine Halvorsson, Vreenak will see your worth directly. Now I've also scheduled some session with Counselor James, standard fare actually, she's had her hands full with a lot of the liberated; but she's good at her job and hopefully give you both direction to find closure or some semblance of it. It's mandatory gentlemen, make time for it."

Casually, Barlow lifted his PADD, reading a few lines before setting it down. "The Hirogens have been quite generous, which happens when goals inline with one another," again he looked at his PADD, tapping a few details and scrolling. "They've given us a stocked armory full of weapons, armor, anything really we've asked for. You'll find Mr. Logan down there now, sifting through it. He's our resident Borg expert..., you'll know why when you meet him, but he also might have a few suggestions to add and I've learned that his advice can be helpful from time to time."

He rose from his seat, the motion carrying to the other two of which he extended his hands towards, shaking Scott's then Halvorsson. "Welcome aboard gentlemen."

<<Tag Scott, Halvorsson>>
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (**)

Postby Berzerker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:55 pm

Halvorsson gripped his hand. "Sir, Permission to walk my beat? While I am on it, I will contact the Counselor."
Berzerker

Postby FSF Gabe » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Captain Rick Barlow
U.S.S. Hope, Ready Room

ON:
LT Halvorsson wrote:"Sir, Permission to walk my beat? While I am on it, I will contact the Counselor."

Rick simply nodded while releasing his handshake. "That'll be all gentlemen..., dismissed."

<<Tag Scott, Halvorsson>>

With his newest Sec and Tac Ops officer out of the Ready Room, the Captain returned to his seat, pulling the small desktop computer over and thumbing it to life, the splash of the Starfleet emblem presenting a small twinge of missing home before it passed into the OS display. There were several messages, a few from Vreenak and Colin on the new personnel, another from Logan about the equipment and not having enough room to store it all by his estimation. There would probably be much needed changes further to be made beyond just the roster, but now they had the materials and the manpower to do it. There was a report from Engineering, Marisol's want to talk to him about something, which could be a mixed bag really.

Rick was about to close up and head out when a communication request splashed upon his screen's notification center. He tapped it, getting information on the relay it was sent from and it bared markings of being a Syndicate transmission. The Captain opened it, seeing the garbled mess of static shift to the image of Garrett's face...,

"We're still working out the kinks of our ship's communication systems Garrett, but you're coming in enough."

"The Hirogens," the Red King began, his voice hinting question?

"Settled. They've agreed to help out and we're seeing quite the influx of supplies, weapons, and personnel. Few humans and maybe a few of your guys."

Garrett seemed perplexed, wanting to know a bit more about the details of what happened, but his face twisted away from that motion to discuss. "The Borg have breached into the Underspace Captain."

"Well, we knew that was going to be an eventuality. I'm sure your contingency was in place and executed."

"Yes," Garrett replied, "it'll buy us time at best. The Syndicate fleet is on route to the rendezvous coordinates....,"

"I'll get that message to the Hirogens, get them underway."

Again Garrett's face twisted, the garble of static again crossing the screen before the Red King stated: "Hope will not be joining?"

"Oh eventually," Rick nodded confirming. "We have a bit of repairs to make before we can head that way. There's also a matter of warning the homefront of the impending attack."

Garrett nodded, "I understand Captain, but to my knowledge there isn't any relay vast enough or strong enough anymore to reach the Alpha Quadrant."

"We have to try. If this plan goes south, I'll find comfort to know that the Federation will be warned."

Again, the Red King nodded. "I would not delay long Captain, if we are to strike, we should do it while they are not looking."

"We'll be there." At his finish, he clipped the coms closed and put the computer to sleep. Everything was coming closer and closer to the finale, things were in motion even as Hope sat on Ha'Dara licking its wounds. Rick had to be sure if everything went down badly that Starfleet, that home would know of the Borg and the Eternity.

He clipped his combadge. "Barlow to Logan, where are you?"

Logan wrote:"Main Shuttlebay Deck 10."

"Break away from what you're doing and get to the Captain's Ready Room."

Logan wrote:"Understood. Logan out."

"Vreenak," again Barlow stated, jumping into another frequency, "when you get to stopping spot I need to speak with you and Byrne in my Ready Room."

<<Tag Vreenak, Byrne>>

With the orders issued, another meeting would be called. He tapped a message to the Engineering Chief stating that they would have to push back their talk a couple of hours.

<<Tag Hocevar>>
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (**)

Postby Berzerker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:39 am

Halvorsson made his way through the Ship. He walked like a man on a mission. He checked in at the Security Posts. [*]he Posted Security Handed him a padd. He touched it and reviewed the patrol logs. "Good.". He went through every Deck doing that, checking in with Security on Each Deck and the Security at Specialized Location. Then he found a section that was like a giant empty warehouse. "What is this?" He checked ship Schematics. "Oh this could be a Strategic Nightmare." He ran through the possibilities in his head. He tapped the comm he was given, he tapped it, but did not do it right, so nothing happened. "Hocevar. Scott. Do you two have half a moment?"

One of the Female Medical Ensigns smiled at him, "Your pushing the wrong spot on the comm. It is right in the center, not smacking it." He grinned at her. She grinned at him.

Two Hours Later he was coming out of her Quarters, fixing his uniform. He smelled like sex, sweat, and women's perfume.

He tried his comm again, then time doing it right. He spoke, "Hocevar, Scott, do you two have half a moment?"

<Tag Hocevar and Scott>
Berzerker

Postby thepariaheffect » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:23 pm

Lt. Owen Scott
Tactical Operations
U.S.S. Hope

Scott exited the room, for the moment at a loss as to how to spend his precious few off-duty hours.

His first thought was to head directly to the ship's lounge, to drink enough to carry off his worries and get to know the crew. In his short time on the Hope, Owen had mostly confined his interactions with the ship's crew to that counseling and medical staff - he knew he had a long road to recovery, and it was best to get on it right away. Making friends could be a good way to ease himself into a new life.

Still, he shook away all thoughts of the lounge as soon as they crossed his mind. As head of tactical operations, he was senior staff - and as a former enlisted man, he knew that nothing quite killed the joy in a room like seeing an officer walk through the doors. Though if he was honest, there was an even better reason to avoid the off-duty areas.

The Hirogen.

Scott prided himself on his lack of xenophobia. The son of two Starfleet parents, he'd spent as much time around non-humans as he had around humans. He could appreciate the Hirogen as a species, though the obsession with hunting did confound him. Instead, it was the uncomfortable level of camaraderie the Hirogen onboard seemed to show him. Unlike most of the Starfleet officers aboard, Scott had been a major part of the simulation - as Calmest, he was apparently one of the keystones to that reality. Word had spread among some of the new recruits of not only his time on the planet, but of who he had been. And for some of the Hirogen, that was enough to earn a sense of instant loyalty. Owen simply couldn't bring himself to deal with the reminders of his former identity, not when he was working so hard to integrate into a new life.

With relief, he heard Halvorsson's voice through his badge. "Scott here," he responded. "What do you need?"
thepariaheffect

Postby Berzerker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:19 am

Halvorsson tapped the comm to respond to Scott, instead of putting out an all call or system alert, "I am on the Deck 9 Cargo Bay. I need you and Hocevar to meet with me so we can start putting together a Schedule for Repairs, Maintenance, and Engineering of Required Tactical Security Equipment" Halvorsson was obvious on his job. He might not have a Social Life, but that was an aspect of working in Security. Many people in Security and Tactical were all about the job, and only socialized with each other.

<Tag Scott>
Berzerker

Postby FSF Gabe » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Gabriel "Matrix" Logan
Intelligence Officer, U.S.S. Hope
Shuttle Bay and Cargo Processing, Deck 10

ON:
Randomized velocity and the unpredictability were key elements to taking a projectile through the adaptable shield matrices of a Borg drone or ship. Though his brother had developed a resolve to counter these undeniably frustrating variables over the time of his reign, the viability of any weapon capable of this would prove most effective and it was without wonder why Garrett wanted the Hirogens on his side.

Logan clipped the power cell off on the tetyon based rifle, placing it back with its brethren of 1400 in number, tapping the exact total within the confines of his inventory numbers. They had the capacity to load out an entire soldier regiment comprised of more than a thousand men with primary, secondary, explosive, and armor. However it was one thing to hunt prey, its another to hunt Borg. Most of the survivors from Zahara were Hirogen hunters, their methodology of using these in their tradecraft second nature as breathing, but the contingent that were not of Hirogen, either already onboard Hope, or freed in the same manner as all others of Zahara would need to be trained and trained well. It was Logan's job to evaluate their capacity and make sure all understood the nature of the enemy.

This nature had been revised over the legacy of the Collective since first thought was pressed illogical across it's consciousness. However the act of rendering chaos to order in the traditional sense had been corrupted and changed by Sion. Now what originally was a thought to process the imperfect now would be terminated and only that which remained would remain of order and rule. Poetic, if not approachable to madness, but the sanity of the Collective had always been one to have that need to keep itself in check with a purpose, a directive. To the truth told, Logan did not know what aims his brother had when he killed the Queen and took reign over the Collective and the Borg. Perhaps its not a purpose at all but an ambition to be comparable to a God. They had both felt, as did the Queen before her death, of the Harbinger, a sense of an event that vary rarely takes hold of the Collective but each time one was sensed, a new Collective, a new level was achieved. When VGer arrived on the Forum and gave the first machine the capacity of human ambition, illogical thoughts contrary, it created the Borg. When that existence proved too chaotic, they achieved a Consciousness of the Collective. And when Janeway destroyed them, the Harbinger abandoned the Organic and created the new Collective. Now with Eternity, with the power to see the unknown, Sion hopes that he is to be the next Harbinger, but not to his own but to mankind.

It was always humanity that the Borg feared, the variable, the irrational, thoughts and emotions not based in logic. It was consuming to them, they never have understood it despite their effort to correct it. Sion doesn't wish to correct, the sickness is simply infection, a cancer that he aims to cut out.

CPT. Barlow wrote:"Barlow to Logan, where are you?"

The thoughts were dashed at the voice echoed across the com-link. To this, Logan clipped his com-badge.

"Main Shuttlebay Deck 10."

CPT. Barlow wrote:"Break away from what you're doing and get to the Captain's Ready Room."

"Understood," Logan replied, "Logan out."

With the line cut, the Intel Officer handed his inventory to the nearest Deck Officer. "See to it that the Security Chief has these numbers. My recommendation to evaluate new spacings for this cache is also on record."

"Aye sir," said the Officer, leaving that to be as the Intel Officer took step to exit the vast shuttlebay. The Hope was busy, vibrant, each footfall, each turn down the corridor breathed the life that thrummed throughout the Intrepid. Work was being done, crew were being placed on roster, and even Logan found his place among them all. Would this be enough he wondered.

"Deck 1," he commanded the Turbolift, signaling it to life.
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (**)

Postby Sonja Kinnunen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Commander Talla Vreenak
Executive Officer, U.S.S. Hope
Below Decks -> Bridge

Barlow wrote:"Vreenak," again Barlow stated, jumping into another frequency, "when you get to stopping spot I need to speak with you and Byrne in my Ready Room."

Since their return the First Officer had been spending ever waking moment dealing with the flood of people that were being taken aboard as crew. Despite some of their otherwise questionable motivations, Vreenak was more content with their quality than those they'd been forced to adopt in Subspace. The large number of Hirogen might be problematic later, but then that was more or less the case in everything they did any more. Something would inevitably come back on them, but they were taking on a crazed Collective -- aside from finding a weapon to kill every Borg instantly what other choice did they have?

What time wasn't spent talking with the various crew members and assigning them to stations, he spent visiting the major departments and reviewing reports. Some of the work was shared with the Second Officer, of course, given there was far too much for any one man to handle. The sooner the departments were staffed, the sooner the ship could be repaired and get underway on their mission.

There'd barely been any personal time since their return from the cave. Eating was itself a minor miracle with the amount of work and coordination necessary now. Not to mention security concerns having all these new faces prowling in and around the ship. Vreenak was far from reassured those "saved" were safe to trust. After such an extended length of time beneath the influence of the machine how could they be sure someone wouldn't want to go back? There was no going back, but a crazed mind would deal with that after dispensing with the threat they posed to its resurrection. The Counselor, like the rest of the Command Staff, had her work cut out for her in that regard.

As the latest group of various species departed his presence, the First Officer listened to the Captain's call for a meeting. Not just another report, he hoped. A plan of action would suit him just fine after the "downtime" following their success with the planet-wide holoprojector. One of the first times the Romulan didn't question Logan's presence or actions; they'd actually managed to work together. If nothing else the Borg Leader showed greater discretion than their no-longer-short Halvorrson -- a situation Vreenak had not left out of his report, though the man did manage to not piss Vreenak off to the point he recommended throwing him overboard.

"I will be there shortly, Commander," Vreenak responded. Calmly he turned and proceeded down the corridor toward the nearest ladder. The exercise helped provide what little 'downtime' he could manage in recent days and kept his body fit; even though he wasn't a warrior, he had to be fit enough to lead Away Teams.

<<Tag Barlow>>

After a short period he emerged on Deck One, the Bridge. His dark eyes scanned over those at their posts before they settled on the Ready Room doors for a moment. After a moment he moved deeper into the command center. "Status report?" he asked of those at the Conn, Ambrose and Farooqi. Might as well see if the Captain had any standing orders in play already while waiting for the Second to surface so they could meet with the Captain together as requested.

<<Tag Ambrose, Farooqi, Bridge>>
Sonja Kinnunen
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Sail » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Commander Colin Byrne
2nd Officer
USS Hope

Given the Voyager database entries, Colin was quietly on his guard concerning the influx of the Hirogen now aboard. Yet, oddly enough, these seemed a bit more socially inclined, at least toward those of human facial features. During his brief time with Commander Vreenak, Colin also observed a warmth in their reception of the Romulan. Yet, when they regarded one another, the Hirogen acted with an air of surprise repressed. "Perhaps," he observed, "they've become so accustomed to seeing themselves as humans or elves that their own faces come as a bit of a shock." Thoughts of the saurian countenance imposed upon him by the Zahara construct brought an involuntary shudder. Quietly, he shook it off as he listened to the dispute before him.

"But we are mated," the Hirogen female persisted.

"No," the Talaxian proclaimed. "That was Zahara. I cannot. Please, put us in separate quarters."

Colin studied the female. All in all, he found the almost inscrutible nature of the Hirogen face to be refreshing. The eyes carried little more expression than a predator's curiosity. And he had to admit, there was a dangerous sort of beauty to the species. Yet, her Zahara love interest, the Talaxian, held little of his own species features that might draw the eye. In fact, the rude tufting of fire red hair, yellow eyes, and the mottling of his flesh only served to make him even less remarkable as he disputed the woman's claim. While he understood the nature of the shock that both must be undergoing in the aftermath of the holomatrix collapse, his own human prejudices found little to admire in this Talaxian's admonishment of the female he'd once kept house with. "Allow me one question," the 2nd officer interceded. As both turned their gazes upon him, he asked, "In the Zahara world, what species were you?"

"Human," both answered in the unison borne of years spent finishing one another's sentences.

"Very well," the commander nodded. "And you grew close..."

"We were wed," the Hirogen woman said.

"Ah," Byrne smiled pleasantly. "Then, having been married once myself, I can remember a number of intimate conversations shared in a dark room with my mate...usually before we both slept. Did you have such conversations?"

"Yes," the Talaxian replied in an uncertain tone. "I don't understand."

"Here's my point," Byrne said. "A great many of the liberated beings are suffering the sudden return of their identities and conscious minds. Many....all....of you, doubtless feel as if something very precious was stolen from you." As he said the words, he knew them intimately. Written on his own heart, the life he'd lost to a similar sort of construct lay right before him. Yet, he remained imprisoned, locked behind bars of wilfull misundertstanding, fear, and outright hatred. In the desert, Colin Byrne had given up any chance at reclaiming what had been taken from him, in favor of a new set of pursuits. Now, he found himself with a ship full of those similarly affected. Their struggle...his struggle....aroused a surprising depth of kinship and sympathy within the second officer as he helped to situate them into their new lives. "In Zahara," Byrne continued, shaking off the reflection, "you both met. You courted. You married. You remember the depth of that bond, and the feelings you held for one another. This is a terrible shock to all of you. Most," he continued," will have to endure it alone. But, where most can only find loss in looking back, you two found each other. I'm no counselor," Colin said, "but I think that your shared experiences there shall make your transition here a much more pleasant journey. You should talk....have those personal conversations once more. You've a rare opportunity to take away something positive from the years spent in Zahara."

The Talaxian's eyes dropped, then shifted nervously toward the Hirogen, who met his gaze directly. "I suppose.....we should talk.....give it a try."

"I'll mention your status to the ship's counselor," Byrne said gently. "Now, for the time being, you'll share these quarters. My name is Colin. I'm the second officer. Call upon me if you should need anything. And while you're at it, you'll find a resume assistant awaiting on the terminal inside your quarters. We need to have information of your histories, medical backgrounds, and any specialty which might help us in determining a crew assignment for each of you. Now, I must be off." With a cordial nod, the 2nd officer turned and exited the quarters, into a corridor teaming with activity. "I am among the lost," Colin thought of his new shipmates. For the first time since his return, he felt comforted by these experiences.

His commbadge chirped, announcing a call to the captain's ready room. "On my way," Byrne said, before catching a turbolift to the bridge.

<Tag Barlow, Vreenak>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby FSF Sail » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:07 am

Lieutenant Marisol Hocevar
Chief Engineer
USS Hope

"Six hours," she swore under her breath. "He never learns. He never freaking learns." The Chief Engineer moved about the main engineering bay, checking console readouts as she went. Thus far, the remainder of the fusion reactors were coming online. Washington, good as his word, had fitted an alignment collar to the last remaining shard of dilitheum crystal in their possession. At idle, it would allow the warp core to operate for a few weeks, provided they never had to go to warp. If such was necessary, they might get one, perhaps two successful runs at a max of warp 3. But, if the man on the bridge would ever decide to stay put for just one goddam day, how much better their lot might be yet again was palpable.

The Zahara holoconstruct was eradicated. And suddenly, a wealth of Hirogen warship technology lay before their feet, with willing, knowlegeable souls to help them claim the very best for Hope. Subnucleonic scanner/disruptor emplacements, which would not only increase the speed of their target assessments, but also had the added benefit of disabling an enemy's propulsion and nav. Then, there was monotanium armor, which was a helluva lot more durable than Hope's hull, and had the added benefit of scrambling an opponent's targeting scans. Then, of course, there was the stealth mode shielding of the Hirogen engineering. That tech, coupled with their too often underused cloak, would make them more difficult than ever to track. A wealth of salvage, not to mention the necessary plating to reclaim the void for compartmentalized use, and all there for the taking. "But no," the chief groused in silence as she returned to the MSD. "All we get are a bunch of rifles and soldier toys. We're cannibalizing ourselves, the Borg can still shoot house sized holes in us whenever they want, but he's more concerned with gearing up to play Lee Harvey freaking Oswald."

Her urgent request had been blown off. This kind of ham handed chauvinism was something she'd learned to expect from the captain. Since he'd brigged her, Marisol had tried to look past the factors which drove the man in the command chair, yet his dismissive behavior toward her, generally accompanied with that infuriating smirk, was enough boil the blood. And so, she was relegated to her little department, assigned to keep the place tidy until "Captain Hero" chose to dazzle everyone with the leftover breadcrumbs of his own engineering expertise. Six hours, to restrike the core, boot the main computer systems and eradicate the power leach virus, and, of course, to remind the hundreds of new tenants to kindly not flip on every goddam light and system while they were so power poor. Finally, there was the little matter of the non functioning toilets on decks six through ten, a mod she'd been forced to make when Hope was struggling just to survive with a crew of twenty-one. "Gonna be a fun ride," she muttered.

"Excuse me, L-T?" Washington stood at her side.

"Nothing," Marisol said with a wave of her hand. "I'm just cranky."

"Comes with the territory, boss," the towering crewman smiled. "Bailey and Saffron have dug out the entire vein. Twenty-two hundred kilos beamed aboard."

"Sweet," Hocevar nodded, glad of the distraction from her less than charitable thinking. "Once the core's hot, we'll put together the split chamber."

"Yeah," the crewman observed, "I was wondering about your plan for that."

"Pretty simple," the chief said as she studied the power up checklist. "In it's current form, the ore can be broken down sonically. The bonds are a weak silica base, so we can release the individual particles pretty easily. Let's run the core startup. Engineering to Ops," Marisol said with a tap to her commbadge, "we're about to run the primary core startup sequence. Watch your grid balance. Once we're stable, we'll boot the primary computer in safe mode and run diagnostics."

<Tag Ambrose>

"And so then," Washington replied, "what do we.....oh, wait. Half and half charging....positive and negaitve..."

"You win a cookie," the chief quipped. "Step one.....dilitheum plate voltage charge....and pray it doesn't shatter."

"Here we go........holding steady at 970 mvu..."

"So far, so good," Marisol replied. "Step two....antimatter line shielding test......" Her commbadge chirped.

Lt. Halvorssen wrote: "Hocevar, Scott, do you two have half a moment?"

"Negative," the chief replied. "I'm in a core startup. Unless it's urgent, catch me when we're underway. Hocevar out."

<Tag Halvorssen>

"Don't recognize that voice," Washington said.

"Lt. Halversson," Marisol answered without removing her eyes from the shielding test readout. "One of our new people. Checks out. Step three. Antimatter line pressure check..."

<Open Tag>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby Berzerker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:29 am

Halvorsson answered Marisol via the comm, "Roger that, Ma'am. That takes precedence. If you do not mind, Scott and I will start. We will be talking about rebuilding the hollow section, securing our makeshift armory, and then building a Brig. Then will we catch up with you after that." He did not realize that he had somehow tapped his new comm wrong. Scott had been looped in and heard.

<Tag Hocevar>

Then he tried to tap his comm again, "Halvorsson to Scott. You ready to meet up?"

<Tag Scott>
Berzerker

Postby FSF Sail » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:51 am

Lieutenant Marisol Hocevar
Chief Engineer
USS Hope

She blinked at the plans as they rang forth from her commbadge. Stifling her first question, "with what?", the chief engineer caught herself, and offered a more measured response. "I'll review your ideas once we've gotten moving. Also, after the primary computer core is back online, we'll make sure that your log in is active. That'll grant you access to the ship's deck plans, and you can take a look at the preexisting brig and armory."

<Tag Halvorssen>
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby thepariaheffect » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Lieutenant Owen Scott
Tactical Operations
USS Hope

"On my way, Halvorsson. Meet me down in the security office on Deck 14."

Impressive, spoke an internal voice, Even I could barely tell how annoyed you were by that conversation. Bravo. Scott shook off the thought, focusing himself once more. In truth, he was a bit annoyed by Halvorsson announcing long-range plans for the department without running it by him first. They weren't bad plans, per se, but they needed to be discussed internally before proposing them to the overworked engineering staff.

Pushing aside those thoughts, Owen made his way down to ship's bottom-most levels. Thankfully, Starfleet's ship layouts were more or less standard across the board - he'd been posted on an Intrepid-class vessel earlier in his career, and finding the security office itself was second nature. The offices, not usually a priority on a vessel meant for a scientific study, did contain the ship's only access points to the armory and the brig. Both likely needed a fair bit of work, but they'd do for now.

It was hard to think of the security office as "his" office, even if he had final say over the department. Halvorsson would spend more time here than Scott would, with the latter standing ready by the Tactical systems on the bridge. Still, the office would be a good place for an initial security meeting - one that would help the crew to prepare itself for whatever was to come.
thepariaheffect

Postby Michael Hill » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:33 pm

LTJG Harold Ambrose
Operations Manager
USS Hope - Deck 4 - Energy Grid 9
-=/\=-

"Crewman..." Ambrose trailed off, waiting for the Hirogen to fill in the blank.

"Darr." The crewman responded coolly. He crossed his arms and leaned back against a bulkhead. "Crewman Darr."

This wasn't Ambrose's first rodeo with Hirogen. In fact, one of his last run-ins involved a bar bet that went horribly awry. Hal was lucky to escape the ensuing scuffle without his skull becoming a trophy. Nevertheless, it was tough to get past the Hirogens' imposing physical stature.

With a tug of his uniform jacket and a quick, nervous throat clear. "Crewman Darr," Ambrose rebooted, "I trust you've been spun up on the power grid and our reboot sequence so we don't fry the core?"

A silent stare was all he got in return. "Very well, Mr. Darr." Ambrose motioned to the grid relays behind on the master display. "It's a very delicate sequence on these Intrepids since the replacement of the bioneural gel relays. We got out of sequence or too fast or too slow, we risk damaging our computer core as well as our comms, sensors, and command functions."

More silence. Ambrose plowed ahead, hoping his point was sinking in. "When we bring her up, the whole system is going to be taxed and we are going to run diagnostics on each boot sequence and each ghost drive as we go along. It's in the report on the viral assault..." Ambrose waved his hand while shuffling a PADD over to Darr. "The important thing is that..."

Lt. Hocevar wrote:Engineering to Ops," Marisol said with a tap to her commbadge, "we're about to run the primary core startup sequence. Watch your grid balance. Once we're stable, we'll boot the primary computer in safe mode and run diagnostics."

Ambrose's eyes dance comically as if the engineer had been listening in to his conversation. Hal smiled towards Darr. "The walls have eyes." More deadpanned Hirogen silence. Ambrose dismissively waved his hand. "Not important, not important. Well, um, carry on, Mr. Darr. I'll check in once we go hot."

Hal quickly, albeit awkwardly out of the energy grid monitoring station towards the turbo lift. He hadn't had the chance to meet with the Chief Engineer in person yet, but so far their patchwork departments had been on the same sheet of music and welcome reprieve from the cacophony of new crew and activity their planet-side excursion had born. Ambrose chirped his badge to life. "Ambrose here. I've just debriefed our chiefs and surveyed our deckhands on the energy grid and core relays. The technical manuals on these reboots are measured in volumes and these guys know the cover. Let's try to not blast the bridge module off like a tea kettle, eh?"

"Bridge." The turbo lift shot off.

"Lieutenant Hocevar, I know the bridge is going to be asking for our warp yield as well as RCS and impulse engine status when I hit the bridge. We took an awful beating on that planet entry burn not to mention the jury-rigged slapdash sensor mods we ran. Safe to assume a less than sluggish navigational and helm console?"

<<Tag Hocevar>>

As the turbo lift doors parted, he ran into a wall of noise. Clearly, business had picked up. The main viewer had enough diagnostics running that he could barely find the external viewer feeds - all off the batteries. In the back of his mind, he played the thought exercise of the amount of requisitions he would need to fill to replenish their emergency reserves after such an event had they been in the Alpha quadrant. A shake of the head was all he could muster as he logged into the Ops station.

Cdr. Vreenak wrote:"Status report?" he asked of those at the Conn, Ambrose and Farooqi.

"Sir, we are spinning up the core now, with sitreps spilling in from Engineering now as well as our crew on the energy grid and sensor relays. Captain asked for reports from the quartermaster and updated manifests. They are in the command folder. So, for now, Commander, we are waiting to see if this life raft can get back in the water. And then we'll know how fast we can row. So to speak."

Without missing a beat, Hal toggled the ship communicator, "Captain Barlow, senior bridge staff is reporting in, sir."

<<Open tag>>
Michael Hill

Postby FSF Gabe » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:09 pm

Captain Rick Barlow
Ready Room

ON:

LTJG Ambrose wrote:"Captain Barlow, senior bridge staff is reporting in, sir."

"Thanks. Send them in," Barlow played finishing out the last of his orders to the Hirogen Commanders that would comprise of the fleet. He finished the last bit and sent before he was created by Commander Vreenak, Byrne, and Gabriel Logan, all three striding in at his behest.

"Gentlemen. In 6 hours time we will be taking off from the planet Ha'Dara and joining up with the Hirogen fleet already in orbit, tethering ourselves to the Hirogen carrier Rim in order to continue our repairs. The Rim has very little in the way of occupancy save for a few crew, engineers and the materials necessary to make Hope fighting fit for Eternity. Garrett and the Syndicate Fleet are on course for the rendezvous coordinates within the Underspace Corridor. They should be there in a 2 days and 12 hours time. Our journey will have us meet them there 48 hours after. That leaves four days, twelve hours give or take to get this ship in order. Upon our arrival at rendezvous we'll measure an attack strategy for the assault against the Eternity."

Rick let the pause stand as he rubbed his chin hairs, the greying whiskers like razors in his hands. "Quite a bit has set itself to get us where we're at now. I'm sure we're all aware that it could all go wrong pretty quickly, but if we don't try, If we don't do this there might not be a home to get to. Which brings me to the other question....,"

He side tossed the PADD, letting it flip sideways so that it landed upright. "This is a relay schematic of the Hirogen communication networks, I've been reading on how Captain Janeway was able to get a message to the Alpha Quadrant by sending an EMH through the relay. Would have been nice to have here, but as you can see, most of it was destroyed during the war with the Collective. Its a good system to piggyback on right now, get our messages to Garrett and the rest of the Syndicate, but it's not going to get us a message to the Council."

'With being so close to the objective, its hard not to think of the what ifs, the biggest and most pressing, what if we fail?"

It was a possibility, strong, but even if they set themselves to get home, to not engage the Eternity, they would have to fight the Collective eventually. Cripple them now and perhaps the Federation may have a chance. Destroy the Eternity and avert the Borg's advance for maybe years.

"The Council needs to be aware of what we found out here, regardless if we succeed or fail, it's why Jim Maxwell brought us out here. We have time now to settle some viable solution, but so far all that's offered is to put a message in a bottle and toss it as hard as I can."

<<Tag Byrne, Vreenak, Logan>>
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (**)

Next

Return to In-Character Roleplay