S01E06: The Followers of Nero

Where the crew of the Star Trek: Entity sim come to post their in-character posts.

S01E06: The Followers of Nero

Postby The Writer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am

Season 1
A year later after the Hobus Star is quelled from going nova by Ambassador Spock. In the year 2388, the Romulan Star Empire is no more. Efforts are being laid to give aid to the survivors of the devastation by the Federation despite the tension growing between themselves and the Klingon Empire who is held bent on laying stake to the now uncharted region of space: Section 84, “The Fringe.” Within the watchful eye of Ambassador Jean-Luc Picard, the U.S.S. Eternity, a Sovereign Class Vessel, commanded by James Maxwell becomes one of three vessels charged with exploration and policing of the Fringe along with the Enterprise-E and the Lunar Class Vessel, Titan; returning friends unite against the last remnants of Romulus, the, “Followers of Nero,” as the countdown ends.

Episode 6 "The Followers of Nero"
Everything comes to an explosive conclusion in Star Trek Eternity’s Season Finale. The Eternity, now equipped with Follower Technology, sets out to burn the Followers of Nero; meeting them face to face in the backdrop of the shattered planet Romulus.
~Gabriel "The Writer" Logan
The Writer
Post Guru

Re: S01E06: The Followers of Nero

Postby The Writer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:33 am

Story Note
The crew of the Eternity-A begin to make their great exodus from the ship as it comes to dock within the Follower's Vault, giant latching arms taking hold, stilling it as it comes to a stop. Work has begun on refitting the ship with Follower technology the Vault's automated systems coming to life within the joint effort of the compiled Engineering teams of the Portage and Eternity, and the surviving Reman/Romulan forces still in capture pending sanctuary in Federation space. In the meantime, the crew compliment of the Portage and the Eternity temporarily call the Vault's quarters their home. Lieutenant Commander Byrne, post surgery, is made Commanding Officer of the Eternity while Commander James Maxwell is put to the surgical knife, being modified for his role with the new ship.

The Portage has been moved to the parts module of the Vault, where work begins on stripping the ship to use in modifying the Eternity.

The Enterprise and Cadecus have maintained their orbit in the system, soon to leave in five hours time. The crew compliments of the surviving ships begin to contemplate whether to follow the Eternity in the intercept of the Nero, or return home in wait should they fail.

<<Open Tag>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby harmon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Major Jonathan Harmon
Reaper Team CO
USS Eternity

ON:
Jon looked upon his right hand, opening and closing his fist for the hundredth time. He moved his arm, out and back in. The primitive first aid inside the vault had allowed an infection to grow... The Klingon Doctor he'd been stuck with, on the rather old Klingon vessel, had been unable to save his hand... or most of his arm. The limb felt cold to the touch. The Star Fleet doctor scanned the metal appendage for the 4th time. "Hold still." Jon lowered appendage down horizontal with the floor once again, the doctor scanning it. Finally stopping his scan he studied the tricorder readings. Jon went back to looking the metal appendage over. The doctor handed him a padd with his findings, gripping it in his right hand, *CRACK* a fracture formed in the screen ending when it reached the other side of the casing, Jon looked at the Doctor, "I can't feel anything with it." he said frustrated. The doctor took the now useless padd, almost amazed at the strength of the limb. "Okay... well... long story short, we can replace it with a prosthetic." Jon looked up, hopeful that he'd be able to return to normal soon. "But you'd have to return to Earth." ~Good feeling gone...~ Jon thought to himself, "No, Doctor, that's unacceptable." The Doctor raised his voice, "No, that's unavoidable." Jon stood, his eye's flashing in defiance. "Will this limb kill me, Doctor?" "Well... No." "Will it harm me? Cause me to go blind? Will it in anyway adversely effect me more then it already has." The doctor let out a sigh, "No." Jon looked at the metal appendage one last time before slipping on the uniform top once again, "Then I'm staying here... I will not return to earth, not now. If I have to I'll refuse treatment, but I'm remaining here." Jon buttoned the four buttons on the shirt. The doctor sighed once again, "I suppose it's going to be useless to argue with you about it." Jon nodded, "Fine... I'm clearing you for duty... just keep in mind... that arm is a lot stronger then you'll expect... be genital with it until your used to it." Jon nodded, pulling out a glove and covering the metal hand once again. The Doctor handed him the padd, and Jon left to return to the vault. Jon smiled, being on duty for the first time in almost a year... it felt good. He'd been keeping tabs the entire time he'd been stuck on the Cadecus, and knew that Cmdr Bryne was now in command, "Major Harmon to Commander Byrne, when you have a moment, I'd like to speak with you."

OFF:

<<Tag Byrne>>
Maj. Alex Otaktay | MACO Detachment Commander | USS Hornet
harmon
Veteran Member

Postby sail3695 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:04 pm

Lt. Commander Colin Byrne
Acting CO, U.S.S. Eternity-B

“What fresh Hell is this?” His voice came as gravel. Colin stared at the PADD in disbelief. “Has he gone completely mad?”

Yeoman Jennifer Bree giggled. “Jim said….Commander Maxwell…said that you’d probably say that.”

“Nice to know that one of us is consistent,” the First Officer responded as he tossed the sheets aside. “Would that be my uniform, Yeoman?”

“Um, yes…..sorry,” she stammered as she handed over the small bag. Finally realizing that averting her own gaze might be in order, the young woman turned her back. “Dr. Hovel was not too happy to release you, but he’s signed the documents, sir.”

“Splendid,” Byrne replied as he shrugged into the uniform. “We’re off, Yeoman. Any idea of Lt. Jamieson’s location?”

“I saw her on the bridge, sir,” Bree replied as she fell into step beside the FO. “She’s not happy at all about the Roms and Rems moving all over the ship.”

“That would make two of us,” Byrne growled in response. “Into the hands of mine enemies…” he thought darkly as they moved toward the nearest turbolift. “Surely, Jim had to have seen this for what it was?” They strode the corridor, past the attending nurses’ station, before he heard his name called from a patient’s room.

“LtCdr Byrne!” Colin turned, catching a glimpse of the name displayed on the wall screen next to the entry. “Picard.” But it was Deanna Troi who beckoned him.

“How is he?” Colin asked, taking in the sight of the ambassador. He was unconscious, apparently heavily sedated.

“Jean-Luc will be fine,” Troi replied. “How are you? They said you’d nearly died in the vault.”

“A Follower did manage to place a frog in my throat,” Colin smiled absently. “Aside from that, I was safe as houses. Glad to see that you’re alright, though.”

“Not entirely,” Cdr Troi answered. “I’ve been ordered to accompany the Ambassador to Earth.” Her eyes glistened again at the prospect of a long overdue reunion with her husband, to be denied once more.

“I am sorry,” Byrne said. “You know the new mission plan?”

“Yes.”

“Then perhaps it’s the safest thing for the both of you. If Eternity can face this thing alone, then Will should be safe…..”

“Don’t tell me things that you yourself don’t believe,” Deanna said. “You see a darker purpose at work here.”

“Some would say that I’ve a rather suspicious nature,” Colin replied, evading the question.

“Mr. Byrne,” Troi said in response, “I’m going to violate my code of ethics to say two things to you. There’s a darkness inside you,” she continued, causing him to cringe inwardly at the fact that Bree was right at his side, soaking this all in. “I normally advise patients to refuse that side of their natures, to recognize it as a survival instinct gone wildly out of check. Instead, I’m telling you to listen to it. Nothing about this has ever been as presented at it’s face value. Surround yourself with people you can trust. You’re going to need them.”

“Noted, Counselor,” the LtCdr replied, ready to turn on his heel. “And the second?”

“Amelia,” Deanna said, fixing him with eyes full of meaning. “You should tell her.”

The Yeoman standing at his side gasped, then covered her mouth in a vain attempt to simulate a cough. Troi’s eyes revealed a change of her own demeamour, as did the smile that threatened to break from the corners of her mouth. “She knew exactly what she was doing,” Colin thought as he fought to maintain the guise of “Lieutenant Commander Byrne.” After a brief pause, he responded, “Thank you, Counselor. I shall take it under advisement. Safe journey. Come along, Yeoman.” In silence, he moved toward the turbolift, and the transporter room of the Cadecus. "You should tell her," echoed in his mind for a moment, calling back their brief meeting in the wreckage that was Eternity's Medical bay. If she'd been able to read his eyes, he thought, then he had already told her. If not, he'd simply have to wait for the opportune moment, which this certainly was not.

Upon beaming into the vault, he’d been alarmed at the sheer numbers of Romulan and Reman technicians who seemed to be moving about at will. Though he found himself instinctively reaching for the phaser he didn’t have, they busied themselves without seeming to take the least notice of him. It was as if there’d never been a battle, let alone a war…

“The Commander’s in their medical center,” Bree said as they moved through the massive facility. “They’re operating right now. Dr. Cavenaugh is supervising.”

“I’m certain that she’s thrilled with this,” Colin mumbled, before his eyes cast upward, allowing him his first vision of hell. “My god,” he whispered.

“I know,” Bree said, her own gaze lifted. “She looked bad when I came to get you. She looks horrible now.”

Suspended above them, surrounded by a network of servicing arms and gantries, was the ship, or what once was the ship. No effort had been made to repair her existing hull or systems, from what he could see. The crumpled starboard pylon had been replaced, for all intents and purposes, by a gigantic spike, seemingly driven into the hull by the hammer of god. Lashed to it were massive tubes and conduits, the network of feeds and returns which would be required to control the function of the starboard nacelle. Her entire hull was pockmarked with the blast marks and scorchings of weapons impacts. The gigantic repair arms worked quickly, seeming to ignore the repairing of damage in favor of cramming her full of new technology. Instead of patching and covering blast marks in standard Fleet White hull coating, each wound had been plugged with a weapons emplacement. The saucer had lost it’s clean, sweeping lines. Now, it bulged in odd locations as if to burst, it’s many gaping wounds plugged with weapons, blast marks ignored in the headlong rush to infuse alien technology into her operational mix. Nowhere along her could one recognize the crisp cleanliness of StarFleet, the elegant threat of the Romulan Star Empire, or the dark purpose of the Followers of Nero. The ship which hung above him was cobbed together, her frightening countenance more akin to the imaginings of Mary Shelley than any 24th century spaceframe architect. As he looked upon what had once been Eternity, the only word which seemed to suit her new appearance was “death.” Colin stared as the nacelles flared to life, their bussard collectors now glowing in malevolent waves of green. “And now, we are Reavers,” he muttered.

‘What?” Bree asked.

“Nothing,” Byrne replied. “Something I saw on holovision once. Yeoman, your orders are to get to the medical centre and monitor. Keep me informed as to Cdr. Maxwell’s condition. I’m headed aboard.”

As he rode the construction lift, watching the monstrous apparition grow larger with his approach, he considered Troi’s words. “A darker purpose,” repeated itself in his mind, the words almost mocking with their hinted intent, yet failing to divulge. Again, he felt as if he were grasping at straws…. “The Nero.” Their next target, a gigantic, overly powered version of the standard Romulan deep space mining vessel, whose purpose was written upon her hull. “And this wee beastie is supposed to stop it,” Colin whispered as the lift halted by the portside gangway. That was the plan. To Colin, Eternity was now another predator, bristling with technologies that StarFleet had little chance of standing against. Now, James Maxwell, the one man whose efforts had thusfar stymied the Followers, was now on an operating table, about to marry his mind to a piece of their technology. "Into the hands of mine enemies," Colin thought again. Not this time. Not if he had anything to say about it.

If the ship's exterior had alarmed him, her interior was an absolute nightmare. Conduits snaked along corridors, rounding through open doorways that could never close for the duration of the mission.
He started at the sight of 2 Romulans as they unspooled a new piece of tubing, running from god-knows-where to god-knows-where. Stepping aside to allow their passage, the LtCdr turned, scowling, toward the turbolift.

"Bridge." A moment later, he stepped onto the bridge, expecting to feel the cool sense of control, the pervasive calm of a space run by the most professional officers aboard the ship. Instead, he walked into a standoff.

The bridge was wrecked; consoles and equipment racks gutted. Technicians of all flags and stripes worked in the space, their efforts punctuated by bursts and whines of their tools as they sought to retrofit the Followers' technology to the console layouts. In the center of that, wearing her trademark look of incredulity, stood Ltjg Sarah Jamieson.

<Tag Jamieson>

"Follow me, Lieutenant," Byrne said, leading the way to the ready room. "Byrne to Lt. Barlow," he said, tapping his commbadge, "report to the ready room at once."

<Tag Jamieson, Barlow>

The door opened, revealing the ready room pretty much as left by Maxwell, smashed TCARS terminal and all. "Have a seat, lieutenant, " he said before moving around the desk. At the moment, his commbadge chirruped.

Major Harmon wrote:"Major Harmon to Commander Byrne, when you have a moment, I'd like to speak with you."

"I'm in Eternity's ready room, Major," Byrne replied. "I'll be clear to meet with you in thirty minutes. Byrne out." His message concluded, the LtCdr turned once again to face the chief Helm Officer.

< Tag Harmon>

"Sarah," he began, "I've an awful lot to tell you, an awful lot to put upon you, and not much time."

<Tag Jamieson>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby Mia Cummings » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:30 am

LtJG Amelia 'Mia' Moore
ACSCI
USS Eternity

Amelia had received her orders from Colin before he'd been sent over for surgery. She still felt embarrassed that he'd caught her when she'd thought he was asleep. His eyes, damn but she could get lost in them.

As requested she had delivered a uniform to the Caitain, thanked the away team and located the PFC and retrieved the D'K tagh. The PFC made the mistake of saying a dead man didn't need a knife. Amelia had smiled and said that might be true, however she was here under orders to retrieve illegally confiscated property belonging to her First Officer, who was very far from dead.

Amelia had been nervous but when the PFC paled She just held out her hand. He'd fumbled for a moment before the item in question was in her possession. Now she kept it very close, tied at her waist, until Colin came back for it.

There was a loud noise as another piece of the vault was stripped to make repairs to the Eternity and it brought her attention to the present. Her hand nervously went to the hilt of the blade. She was doing as she'd been ordered and had been at it since before Byrne had been transferred to the Cadecus, cataloging the technology, getting readings, scans computer core dumps, every conceivable test and recording that could be done, she was making sure was done by the small team under her command. It didn't help that she wasn't feeling all that safe with Romulans and Reamans walking around, free as a bird. Wondering if one of them would .. She shook her head and scolded herself. She moved to the next console and began the tedious task of downloading every scrap of information it held. Even with all the noise above her she hadn't looked up to see the monstrosity the they had turned the Eternity into. She had too much to get done, Lt Cmdr Byrne had given her orders. And she wouldn't let Colin down.

<open Tags>
Mia Cummings; AMO/Lt.: USS John C Stennis - CSEC/Lt.: USS Stargazer SFOL * Sa'Ra;Security Officer/Ensign: USS Firewall * Cdr. Amber (Tamara) Darius-Belmont - Chief Medical Officer: USS Atlantis * Lt Amelia "Mia" Moore, CSCI; USS Eternity *
Mia Cummings
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Bourne » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:35 pm

Lieutenant (JG) Sarah Jamieson
Helm/Flight Operations, U.S.S Eternity

“Get the hell away from that!” Sarah yelped from her crouched position, the spark caused by the wrongfully integrated connection sparked across the bridge and flashed a look of fear across the young Romulan engineer working it. Sarah stood, wiping her hands furiously at the material taught over her thighs, and approached. The journey wasn’t easy, the piped strewn across the floor, parts of the bulk head and a half dismantled console lay dormant on the floor of the once proud command deck. The air was tense, awash with bitterness that flowed between the opposite crews, a staleness hung as the malfunctioning air filters slipped below priority for the engineering crews. Time, as they say, is a healer. The people faced by Sarah and the current members of the bridge crew were enemies only a short while ago, blood fuelled each encounter and, although she tried to steady herself, Sarah couldn’t help the torment that bled from her
every pore.

“If you don’t know what you’re doing, stay away!” She said, emphasizing every word with a stillness that had stayed with her since the battle in the hallway. She felt like the babysitter of a petulant child, watchful for his next move, his next attempt at the cookie jar or that step in to oblivion. Not too long ago she considered herself the child int he equation, anguish at the lack of understanding around her and now, in the darkness that settles after a large battle, she was supposed to be at peace with those whom had made every attempt at killing her and, something she felt herself, probably wouldn’t think twice at making another run at it. “Ask if you need help, there are plenty of engineers here who can lend a hand.” The Romulan male stood proud amongst the deformed deck, she could see his pride dent a little as he was dressed down by a lowly human woman, her cheeks warming slightly as she could see the eyes of each crew member, from both factions, turning to watch. Sarah narrowed her eyes, swallowing the lump within her throat. “Understood?” He grunted in confirmation and turned to work on another problem.

"Follow me, Lieutenant,"

Sarah watched as Byrne stepped in to the chaos, glad he had not witnessed her previous behaviour, her hands clamped on her side, eyes weary from exhaustion, her hair draped across her face and sweat glistened from her cheeks. She presumed the following would be a quick dressing down of her appearance but ensured she sighed loudly before moving, her head shaking slowly as Byrne regarded the state of the bridge. She could tell his thoughts were along the same line and with that the gaze was broken, she was following him in to the ready room.

The Commander took a message as he entered the ready room, Sarah quickly tucked a couple of loose strands of hair and and wiped what sweat she could capture away with a single swipe of the forearm. She took a breath and allowed the door to close behind her. The air, still stale, held a tension that differed from that of the bridge, the anxiety could be separated with a butter knife as Byrne turned to her, his eyes addressing her with a softness she hadn’t expected. Was this not a disciplinary meeting? She looked up, her eyes quizzical as she regarded her friend. His lips moving slowly, purposefully as the words began to spill from his mouth.

"Sarah," he began, "I've an awful lot to tell you, an awful lot to put upon you, and not much time."

“Colin?” Sarah forgot herself for a second and reached forward, clasping his right hand with her own, softly squeezing at it in concern. “Whats going on?”
FSF Bourne

"Chance favors the prepared Mind" ~ Louis Pasteur
FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby sail3695 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Acting CO, U.S.S. Eternity-B

"I never could figure her out," Colin thought as Sarah reached across the desk, her face written in concern as she took his hand. Suddenly, he felt as if he'd said that before, and recently. "A conversation?" he thought. Dismissing the feeling as deja vu, the LtCdr resumed his focus upon the earnest young woman before him.

"Colin? What's going on?"

"All of this....madness," he said, gesturing with his free hand. "What I'm about to tell you will seem the worst sort of fiction," he began, "as well as placing you in possible danger. I've tried to keep the crew, and this ship, clear of it all, but if my suspicions about what's actually going on are correct, I rather think I've failed."

<Tag Jamieson>

"First thing's first," Colin said. "This is something I should've done some time ago. I've again been made acting Captain. In the best interests of the ship, I intend to select the most reliable officer I know to serve as acting First Officer. The job comes with a brevit promotion to full Lieutenant. Sarah, you're the most qualified officer of our senior staff. I can't think of anyone I'd rather have in the right seat. Will you take the job?"

<Tag Jamieson>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby sail3695 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 am

Lieutenant jg Marisol Marquez
2nd Assistant Engineer, U.S.S. Eternity-A

"Marquez to Barlow," she said after tapping her commbadge. "The warp core is online, sir." As she surveyed the resurrected core, whose habitual thrumming was now replaced with a strange low frequency resonance, every fiber of her screamed that this was all horribly wrong. The core glowed a wicked shade of green; Marisol could only deduce that this had been the result of adding polaron charged duterium into the intermix. "Polaron," she thought, unbelieving that such a deadly toxic radiation might ever be introduced aboard a Federation starship. "Not Federation anymore," the diminutive woman gave rueful thought as she regarded what had once been a a well organized, crisp engineering compartment.

<Tag Barlow>

The space was now a horror show of conduits, tubes, and additional piping, hastily installed to suit the myriad of new and alien devices that this engineering bay now had to support. To add to that, the floor was crawling with Romulans and Remans. They'd come aboard, at Cdr, Maxwell's urging, to refit the ship for immediate action. "Who better?" Maxwell had asked as he'd sold them the plan. On the surface, his reasoning had been sound enough. Marisol's own feeling about the usurpation of Romulan/Reman space by the Federation and their Klingon allies had predisposed her to take a sympathetic stance. She understood that all were granted political asylum, and would be cared for as Federation citizens, but there was something.......something wrong. Even now, as she raced about the compartment, her mind barely able to keep up with the massive retooling of the ship to fit the new technologies, she couldn't help but feel that...........they were being replaced.

Though there hadn't been time to share these feelings, she thought that Hmra might possess them as well. Marisol's joy at seeing her friend unharmed was soon replaced with the icy fear of the news concerning Colin's near death. She'd wanted to race to Medical Bay to be there with him, but the ship was coming apart around their ears, and Red had all that he could handle...

<Tag Etal>

Red. She clearly did not know what to do to repair whatever rift had formed between them. A shared moment of glory had somehow gone so badly. His once openly gregarious and warm personality seemed to have shut itself down....in her company. The jokes, the sharp one liners, and the witty back and forth that had become their repartee had vanished, replaced by a strictly "by the book" level of dialogue, punctuated with rigid postures and eyes which shifted nervously away from any chance meeting. She liked him. A lot. Now, with the warmth of that personality turned away from her, Marisol was beginning to understand just how much. Other thoughts came to mind, thoughts which she'd rarely permitted herself, usually quickly dismissed with a self conscious touch upon the rings that adorned her left hand. Now, they lingered, threatening to send her tidy personal life tumbling into disarray, right along with her Engineering bay. Maybe she'd talk to Colin; he had a way of helping her to clear things up...

"Not time for this," Marisol chastised herself, putting her inner thoughts and yearnings into the background to focus again upon the transformation of her department. "Excuse me, Jomal?" she asked, drawing the attention of one of her newfound Reman colleagues, "I can't make any sense of these core readings on the new holographic display. Could you walk me through this?"

<Open Tag Engineering>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Bourne » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:28 am

Lieutenant (JG) Sarah Jamieson
Helm/Flight Operations, U.S.S Eternity-A

It was apparent on her face, of this, Sarah was sure. Her thoughts of dismay and of abandoning the ship that had nurtured her so lovingly over the past months, she hid them well and held a cautious air about her presence when ever the idea of something in the future was held in front of her. Sarah had made a promise to see this through to the end, after that even she was unsure where her hat may lie. Her soft, pale skin shimmered with a light sweat, her eyes broke from Colin’s as she sucked in her top lip, using her teeth to gently poke into the pink flesh.

"All of this....madness," he said, gesturing with his free hand. "What I'm about to tell you will seem the worst sort of fiction," he began, "as well as placing you in possible danger. I've tried to keep the crew, and this ship, clear of it all, but if my suspicions about what's actually going on are correct, I rather think I've failed."

Sarah released the larger hand of Colin’s and let hers settle on her side, gently clawing at the material to find a hold. She let out a small sigh, its wavering tone mirroring just what she was feeling. “You’re the only reason we’re all still here, Colin,” Sarah said, the softness in her voice hardly piercing the silence held within the small ready room. “That much, I’m sure of. You think Maxwell would have ensured our safety if it had ultimately meant victory? No. He would have thrown us to the wolves for the win. Another thing I’m fairly certain of.” Sarah ground her teeth gently as her eyes sank slightly, she hadn’t ground her teeth for years yet the action comforted her in the most strangely desirable way. Like feeling the anger bleed from you after a heavy session at the gym or a longer run than you were used to. This meager action of grinding left and right, the chomping she heard reverberate gently throughout her skull, all adding to an uncharacteristic calmness that had intertwined with her fragile emotional embrace.

"First thing's first," Colin said. "This is something I should've done some time ago. I've again been made acting Captain. In the best interests of the ship, I intend to select the most reliable officer I know to serve as acting First Officer. The job comes with a brevit promotion to full Lieutenant. Sarah, you're the most qualified officer of our senior staff. I can't think of anyone I'd rather have in the right seat. Will you take the job?"

“What’s that now?” Sarah’s jaw no longer chomped, it hung open slightly, the slight opening of her mouth allowed for a cool passage of air inwards before she gently closed and and air inflated her smooth cheeks upon exit. “You’re promoting me...” Sarah shook her head, almost shrugging off what she had heard as a misunderstanding, her eyes searching, longingly, upwards to Colin’s for a note of reassurance. His confidence of posture and his composure inspired had meant inspiration throughout these past months and today was no different. “I’m young, sir,” Sarah said, closing her eyes before straightening her back and allowing her hands to drop to her side. “I’d be proud to fight by your side sir, if you think I’m ready, if you...” She paused, her bottom lip quivering with a slight offering of emotion. “...Trust me, then I think I’m up to the job...”

<<TAG Byrne>>
FSF Bourne

FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby The Writer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Lieutenant Rick Barlow
Chief Engineering Officer, U.S.S. Eternity-A

with Special Guest

Doctor Brian Hovel
Chief Medical Officer, U.S.S. Cadecus

ON:
"Not the brightest star in the constellation dumb-ass are you," Doctor Brian Hovel, Chief Medical Officer of the U.S.S. Cadecus exclaimed while treating the sever burns on Lieutenant Rick Barlow's back?

"Anyone ever tell you that your bedside manner sucks," the Chief of the Eternity beckoned, his attention drawn to the Padd he held in his hand, the details depicting the endeavors of the Follower crews converting the Federation ship into something else? The entire effort throwing a sick feeling in the Engineers stomach.

"Supervising." That seemed to be the mantra of the entire operation. The former Follower teams were hard at work, using the automated machines and other facilitates on the Vault while Red and his team supervised the installation and disassembly. He wasn't liking the idea of handing over the ship to these Romulans and Remans that, not three or four hours ago, were at each others throats. And it wasn't as if they KNEW what they were doing, more than eight times did he find a Reman working on a power conduit or manifold stabilizer when the cells were still hot in the area. Part of him wanted to just look the other way, smile as the Follower learned the lesson the hard way. Instead he would take the job, do it himself, or assign someone to do it as he did with Marisol and the warp core, keeping her far from him so he could figure what exactly was going on between them.

Red knew that he would have to confront it sometime, have to have the talk sometime. Something inside him shook and he hoped that whatever it was it was just misunderstanding; something that Marisol would punch him over, and that would be fine.

"If your going into it expecting a kick in the nuts but get a slap in the face…, thats a victory…,

He tried to look on the bright side, it seemed that everything was in order, and his team, direly needing a break, were taking there's with stride under the circumstances, but, he was sure that a lot if not all of the Engineering Department thought Commander James Maxwell was not in the right mind.

It was then that again, that creeping feeling came and Red was thinking on cutting his losses and taking the Enterprise or the Cadecus when they returned to Earth. The whole thing about this stunk, was all too secretive, it made his nose twitch, and his paranoia jumped colossally when he garnered his first look at the new Eternity specs, seeing how Commander Maxwell would be an integral part of the starship's operations, his service as a central brain to the nervous system that would become the Eternity.

"This isn't going to end well…,"

"I'm surprised at how often I hear that Lieutenant," Doctor Hovel interjected, proceeding to dash away Rick Barlow's thoughts with another added quip. "I don't really see how bed side mannerism helps in Medicine, its not really a class that they teach….,"

Barlow winced as Hovel placed something cold on his back, the near frozen state of…, what ever the hell it was…, shocked the Engineers spine and nearly numbed his extremities. "I thought they did teach that?"

"Eh, what do they know…," Hovel stated, shoving another scan towards Barlow's burns?

The Engineer shook his head. "Your one of a kind Doc, I'll give you that." To that Hovel finished his scan and pocketed the tricorder.

"…, and your still stupid Mr. Barlow. I might be a smart ass doctor with a massive ego," he smiled as he motioned for the Chief Engineer to put back on his shirt and work uniform, "but I'm aware of the situation your in and if I were you, I'd be making a transfer to the Cad or Enterprise…,"

"I don't know if I could take twelve hours being on the same ship as you Doc," Barlow stated shuffling his suit jacket back over his shoulders, "might go insane."

"You'd be alive Mr. Barlow."

"Details Doc…, minor details." The Chief hopped up off the bio-bed and immediately was handed a prescription.

"Pain killers. I would ask you not to abuse them, but I know I would given the roles reversed."

LTCMDR Byrne wrote:"Byrne to Lt. Barlow, report to the ready room at once."

Without hesitation Rick slapped the com-badge on his jacket. "On my way sir." He looked back at Hovel in a wink. "Duty calls Doc."

"Well," the Doctor played, "break a leg."

The walk within the Vault was a bit disturbing as Rick made his way from the makeshift medical suite near sector 17 of the big ring of the Vault's interior. Everywhere he saw was a distraction, Follower and Starfleet Officers intermixed like cats and dogs, their owners, the Marine and Security contingent, keeping the peace and all on short leashes.

Out of the corner of his eye, Barlow saw Lieutenant Moore and a scant few Science personnel digging through a mess of broken consoles and fractured hull. He waved, striking up move towards her before coming to a stop behind her a two others that were enrapt in the isolation screen of a console's holographic projection.

"I hear we are going to have that on the Eternity when she's through," he stated, striking up a conversation, "its going to be weird working on consoles that aren't really there, just holographically projected in front of you." He tapped the screen, making sure not to push on any of the floating icons. His fingers felt a force feedback as his tips glided over the holographic surface in a sheen of green contrails, as if he was touching the surface of a traditional Starfleet panel covered in a mist of green algae.

"What the heck is up with the green and black color scheme anyway?" The question was somewhat passive, Red assumed it was because of the Polaron intermix that just dumbfounded him.

<<Tag Moore>>

"Well, Commander Byrne wanted to see me. Its a long walk to the Eternity, but I better be off," Barlow stated, a smile broadening his face as he waved off in a goodbye, crossing towards the gantry that would lead to the Eternity.

Moore was adorable, obviously, but it was also obvious that she had a "thing" for Commander Byrne; whether she made an effort to hide that fact or not wasn't all that clear, but Red knew, when Colin was brought into the OR, she was the one person he saw when he woke. "Lucky," was all Barlow stated as the corridor empty out into the massive docking facility.

LTJG Marquez wrote:"Marquez to Barlow, the warp core is online, sir.

"Understood Lieutenant. Commander Byrne has called me into his ready room. After I'm done there I'll meet with you and Alan on the nanite system infusion. Apparently, D'Spal seems to think the Eternity will need to be evacuated before this occurs. I'll hopefully have more information by the time I'm through with meeting Byrne. Keep me informed of anything over there. Barlow out."

Rick didn't note until after his call back that he was standing underneath the Eternity. High above, strapped to a series of stabilizers and automated mechanical arms laid the ship, changed. The aft end had been cut, replaced with unrecognizable technology that glowed in green light. Weapon placements hid open sores along the hull as the giant service arms took piece upon piece of Starfleet hull away, replacing it with thicker plate armor, the clean white dashed away with dark leathery black that seemed to come alive with the green lights' reflect.

It wouldn't be long before the front end was done over and the Followers took control entirely of the operation, no crew could be onboard when that occurred. After, the nanite infusion of the Eternity's systems, laden degrees of adaptability in the after product. To the center of it all would be Commander Maxwell, a leeway point, a beacon, linked to the new alien vessel.

"Not liking it," Barlow stated, looking at the nacelles that were a glow in green light, "not one damn bit."

The gantry taken led straight onto the Bridge, the entire roof of the once nerve center, had been taken in degrees squared off plating. Barlow needed only to cross and enter as he took turn towards the Ready Room doors. He shuffled his uniform straight, ran a hand through his hair, making sure that the Padd he carried was clean.

…, then.., Lieutenant Rick Barlow ringed the door chime.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Lieutenant Sarah Jamieson
Acting First Officer

-and-

Acting CO, U.S.S. Eternity-A

"Young," Byrne said with a chuckle, considering the 28 year old who'd served as this ship's commanding officer. "Your age doesn't enter into it, Sarah. You've performed admirably in all areas. You've demonstrated a commitment to this ship and her crew, in addition to a keen sense of the mission. And," he said, regarding her directly, "you've earned my trust. Given what's to come, I need to have people on this bridge whom I can trust entirely."

Sarah curled her lip upwards to the left, the small smile quivered slightly before dropping almost as quick as it had appeared. "I'll die for this crew, sir," She exhaled loud and slow, her chest cavity sinking inwards as her lungs tightened. "I'll die for you, Colin. I trust your decisions and your motives." She sucked in a lung full of air, her lip flapping slightly as it got caught up. "You've been my guidance through everything since I come on board. I see no finer way to repay that debt."

He drew a breath at the magnitude of the trust she'd just offered. "She thinks exactly as a First should," Colin mused as the Lt. concluded her remarks. Sarah Jamieson would be a force of nature in the FO position. He could only imagine the day when the title "Captain" happened to be applied. "There's no debt to repay, Sarah," he responded. "You've a strong sense of your duty, and a moral compass to match, reasons why I regret having to drag you into the morass that I'm about to brief you on."

“Sir?” Sarah furrowed her brow, now the confusion she had felt upon first entry quickly washed over her again, she shook her head left and right slowly, her hazel eyes locking with Byrne’s, her mind clicking through what information he was about to reveal. Whatever it was, Sarah judged by the weight he seemed to be carrying, she wasn’t going to like it. “What is it?”

Colin regarded her for a moment, mindful of the point of no return that he was about to take his new acting First beyond. "From your post, I can think of at least two times in which you bore witness to James Maxwell's career as an intelligence operative being exposed? The latest being the general, Trajan, who greeted him as "Agent Maxwell?" He paused, studying her for any sign that might tell of her unwillingness to pursue this line of discussion.

Sarah considered what Colin had begun, her mind wrapping around the very concept of “Agent Maxwell” as an entity, separated from the Captain they had all blindly followed from the beginning of this epic journey. His personality, that of a deadly fox, skirting around the shadows, preying on the weak minded and those who presented the opportunity. Sarah said nothing, she narrowed her eyes, curiosity overcoming the sense of dread that lay flat within her stomach, the scope of such upcoming information already threatening her health, even if she had no idea what was coming. Her cheeks inflated slightly and she made a small “Mmmhm” noise through a closed mouth, never breaking eye contact or giving an inch. She knew better than that. He had prepared her for that much.

"At this point, Number One," Colin said, "I'll have to ask you about what you might know of an organization called Section 31?" This would be the final warning. She could stop the conversation, revert safely to a more comfortable role, and do so without any ill will from him. From here, to know was to bear a curse.

Number One. The two words that separated, meant nothing, together they pushed a whole new world down upon the young helmswoman that had accepted a small assignment after transferring from the Marines. She focused on little else that was said until the commander mentioned Section 31, an insidious organization that had plagued Marine activity throughout the years, their clandestine operations often undermining that of an active unit. “Under handed organization that trusts no one and will throw their own mothers into the fire pit for the mission?” She asked, rhetorically. “Yeah, I’ve seen their handy work first hand in the marines.” Sarah was invested now. If this had something to do with those heartless, faceless monsters then she was in, both feet first with her head following quickly. “What do they have to do with this?”

He wanted to smile, but the gravity of the moment simply wouldn't permit. "My god, I should've brought her into my confidence sooner," Colin thought as he prepared the answer that would land as a satchel charge before her. "Quite simply," he said, "everything." Then, the groundwork laid, Colin told her of James Maxwell, Sorveck, and the private torture chamber on Deck 18. He mentioned their purposeful misdirection concerning the Followers' database upload from Ildius 3, and their final mission objectives for the vault itself. Then, he told of his own complicity. "I thought to draw them out," Colin said. "I purposely gave Sorveck a free hand inside the vault, to successfully complete their mission, with a quid pro quo being their renewed commitments to this ship and crew. I was a damned fool," he admitted. "Are you aware of the surgical procedure that Maxwell is undergoing even now?"

Sarah bit down on her tongue so hard she drew blood, the iron taste seeped down her throat as she winced openly from the pain. She rolled the damaged organ up against each cheek as she considered the points carefully laid before her. Sarah could see the deceit now, even if she had not noticed it from the beginning, the signs all fell in to place now. “Foolishness seems to run rampant on this ship,” She shrugged, he wasn’t the first to be taken in by the shiny new toys and secrecy of running an operation and certainly wouldn’t be the last. The human condition drew people towards secrecy; it added spice to what should have been an ordinary life. Sarah knew this but still couldn’t accept the mess two men had dragged an entire fleet in to. “I’ve heard the rumours, yes,” She answered flat, a single tone that spurted quickly from her damaged tongue. “But what does that have to do with all this?”

"Just now," Colin said, "a crucial part of the refit being conducted by our Romulan and Reman hosts involves direct control of this ship via a neural interface. This same interface is now being surgically implanted into the captain of this vessel, giving him total control. We are to believe," Byrne continued, "that this is an important part of the refit, that it must be done in order to pursue an even more insidious Followers' ship that will launch in a few hours' time to threaten the Federation, most likely Earth. Lieutenant, when I think of that story, I can't help but arrive at 2 conclusions. First, the one man who has been most successful at blunting the Followers is now having his brain hard wired to their technology. Second," Colin said, "Eternity is being converted into a fearsome weapon, every bit as formidable as the scimitar. And our commander is going to deliver it to within striking distance of Earth."

Sarah allowed her head to fall in to her left hand, she sighed heavily, sucked in a bit at her bottom lip before rolling her eyes. “So,” She said, her mind running through it out loud. “The man who is obviously out for something far worse than a quick battle and defense of the Federation is being - For lack of a better word - Mind melded to the ship.” She laughed, inappropriate as it was during such dire circumstances, she couldn’t resist the small gasp that escaped. “We deliver this ship to the enemy, they - the ones fitting the damn upgrades - flip a switch and Maxwell goes all Benedict Arnold on us and we have two unstoppable war machines on a direct line towards Earth. Great.” She shook her head, pondering the mess which now she was a part of.

"A possible outcome," Colin nodded. "Or, the story is true, and we're equipping ourselves to be the last, best defense against a massive Follower ship, known as "Nero." In either case, I'm not prepared to simply allow this entire mission to rest upon the compromised mentality of one man. I've summoned Chief Barlow. When he arrives, we shall discuss overrides to the neural interface. I want a kill switch, Sarah, in positions where either of us can throw it."

“Let us not get too high tech with this, Colin,” Sarah spoke as she straightened up once again. “A kill switch is great, but programs such as this are impossible to kill, no matter that expertise of the engineer.” She looked towards the viewport for a second. “We need to rig the shuttles to explode upon command. A fail safe, if you will, that ensures that after all is said and done this ship doesn’t turn on its brothers. We all die together before she takes a stand against the Federation.” Sarah puffed up proudly, the ship meant a lot to her, a comrade in arms. “A fail safe that only you and I know about. With all this secrecy I would prefer a solution between the two of us that is, as some may say, rudimentary in its design.”

He thought on that, pressing the index finger of his left hand to his lips. "Redundancy," Colin finally said, turning to face Sarah once more. "I agree. We rig the shuttles to blow. Marisol can do it; I trust her completely. But," he continued, "they'll be watching me. As my acting First, you'll be under scrutiny as well. A bit of misdirection from our parts would be in order."

“Misdirection,” Sarah huffed a small, one breath, laugh as she shook her head. “You know, I was never great at acting, hated those compulsory classes in school.” She shrugged her right shoulder upwards and allowed her mind to wonder for a few seconds. “Perhaps we put in a report that we are harvesting the shuttles for components for the new integration interface....”

He smiled, enjoying the thought process which drove her, and an honest dialogue about these issues which had tormented him. Suddenly, having not only a trusted subordinate, but an ally, was making the nightmare somewhat less daunting. "It's a thought," Colin replied. "We need a dozen other blind alleys just like it. The kill switch is one. We should consider others. One more thing to consider," Colin spoke a bit more quietly, "is drawing in the officers we're certain that we can trust."

“Well,” Sarah said, beginning what was sure to be a long list of potential names. “We all know Cavenaugh, while hot headed and not exactly tactful, has a strong grip on her moral compass.” She shrugged, unsure if that was an answer or not. “Barlow is new, I highly doubt Maxwell has his claws dug in deep enough to make him turn his back on what is right.” Another slight pause for consideration. “I can’t imagine Scott or Lt. Moore would hear such atrocities with ease, either. But then, who can we truly trust in this, our darkest of hours?” She shook her head, her point not coming across as she wanted. “What I meant to say was this;” Sarah’s voice was soft, unassuming. “Who can we afford to leave out if the entire Federation is on the line?”

"No one," Byrne replied, agreeing with her. "But, for the time being we bring them in by degree. Marquez for the shuttle detonations. Barlow for the kill switch and any other engineering he might suggest. Moore, as she'll have one of the best grasps of the Followers' IT systems. I'd bring Okimbo in; she handled herself very well getting us connected before the escape from the starbase. As for the others, we wait until the need presents itself. "

Sarah concurred quietly, the gravity of the situation weighing on her mind. Her unsure, wavering attitude needed to be put on hold, she needed to find an untapped strength from somewhere that would guide her through to the end of this, something so powerful that it tugged at her very core. Jo. She was the catalyst for so much, Sarah was whole because of her and the thought - The very image - of her wife would push her through to the goal and get her home. “Then it’s agreed.” She said after a minute of silence had hung in the air. “I’ll tee up Marquez while you brief Barlow?”

As if on cue, the chime sounded. "That'll be Mr. Barlow now," Colin smiled. "I'll brief him. Stay a moment if you would. I intend to introduce him in no uncertain terms to the new chain of command. Come in." As the Lieutenant from Engineering made his way into the ready room, Byrne spoke. "Mr. Barlow, come have a seat."

<Tag Barlow>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby Sorveck » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:29 am

Sorveck
USS Eternity

Sorveck stood in an empty room a few meters down from Mia and her team. He had been following her for the past 3 hours, he had still had duties to attend to that hadn't been finished in the time Byrne had allocated; but with the woman surrounded with just Science personnel and former enemies he felt the need to coordinates his efforts to keep a watchful eye on her. Plus, should he decide to plant anything on her to use her as a scapegoat, now would be the time.

While he stood in the rooms shadows, peering out through the doorway, he took stock of each of the Romulans and Remans. None were armed, and seeing as the first thing he had done was retrieved his mek'leth, he had the tactical advantage. All they needed to do was make a move and Sorveck would rescind the invitation of asylum that Maxwell had erroneously given. While it was true that he no longer felt the rage he had experienced on the Eternity, he knew it was there biding it's time until he needed it again. He was broken out of his thoughts by the sound of a familiar voice. He looked up and saw the new CENG begin a conversation with Mia.

He turned his attention from her and back to his task for the time being. He thought back to his conversation with Maxwell, where he had informed him that he had been ordered to give the Followers anything they wanted, including asylum, in order for their technology. It had made his blood run cold. The unspeakable acts these people had committed deserved nothing but death, yet the council had went against his advice, in light of the the imminent attack on Earth. He had acquiesced to the order, but informed Maxwell that should any of them turn against him, that he would deal with it without hesitation. He had also asked for his survival to be kept from the crew until he had finished his mission inside the Vault. That too had been agreed upon.

He looked around the room, taking in all the rubble. Moore had spent a lot of time in this room, with the group at first, but then alone as they moved on. He pulled out the PADD tucked into the small of his back, adding this location to the list of others where she had acted in a similar fashion. He wasn't exactly sure when he would use this information, but he knew the opportunity would present itself.Satisfied she had gathered everything worth of value in the room, and taking solace in the fact that his mission in the Vault was now completed. Now he was tasked with reintegrating himself into the crew.

A loud noise resonated around him and his attention refocused itself on Mia. He saw her hand go instinctively to the hilt of a d'k tahg. He had seen her do this multiple times since she had confiscated it from a young marine. He stealthily made his way over to her and stood behind her back.

"Careful, Lt. You might harm yourself."

In a flash of motion, Moore had whipped around, unsheathing the blade, pressing it to his throat, and using her momentum pushed him to the wall. Flame roared to life in his eyes, while he stared into her eyes as the adrenaline coursed through his veins. He quickly gained control of himself, raising his eyebrow. "Fascinating, I was unaware that close quarters combat was taught to medical scientists. Perhaps there is something you are hiding."

<Moore>

As she eased off, he tugged at his uniform. "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." He looked around the room, "I meant nothing by my statement Ms. Moore, purely conjecture. It does seems though that my following you and concern for your safety was all for naught, it seems you can take care of yourself."

<Moore>

"I will leave the, CSCI, to her work then." He turned to the door and walked towards it, stopping and facing her before crossing the threshold. "I am on my way, to the ship, is there anything you would like me to relay to anyone, things you might not want to fall on the ears of our new 'friends'."

<Moore>

He nodded, "Very well." With those final two words he turned and left.

The lift stopped and he walked out onto the remodeled bridge. His gaze swept across it, shaking his head at the sight of the followers so close to the technology. He began the brief journey to the ready room. The doors swished open and Jamieson walked out, the look on her face told him she knew. He sighed, stopping directly impeding her path.

"Lt, I want to stop something before it gets out of hand." Although he towered over her, this was one time he knew that his physical stature was not an intimidating factor. "You were once a Marine Lt, and during those times you were obviously sent into enemy areas undercover. What exactly would you do to any native that stumbled across your encampment? You silenced them, perhaps not lethally, but silenced just the same. "

He paused letting his words sink in, "Section 31 is not as gracious as you might have been. It's true that they might come after you directly, but it is more likely they will go after your loved ones to silence you. And through my interactions with this crew, they know who to target should you become a liability. Jo. "

<Jamieson>

"Sarah, these are not threats that I am making on their behalf. I am informing you of the dangers that have now been thrust upon you. I can not protect you, or her, from them; as I have already used my leeway to save another officer. All I can do is advise you to forget what Colin just told you about our involvement in these matters. Should you wish to forget them entirely I am skilled enough to erase the events from your mind, however it is a very dangerous meld, therefore I suggest you play the part of the young officer oblivious to matters such as these."

<Jamieson>

He could see the anger in her eyes, he knew that his warnings were coming across as threats. He shook his head, this was not how he had wanted it to go. "Lt, you will believe what you want to. Just know that if you actually do send that communique that you are thinking about right now, they will realize something is amiss, and you won't have time to move her. Like i told you the best chance the both of you have is for you to stay out of their sight."

<Jamieson>

He made a move towards the door but stopped, an opportunity had just presented itself. "Lt, aside from 3 other people on this ship, I would find it unwise for you discuss this with any of the other Senior Staff, no matter what you think of their loyalties. There is a spy amongst them as well, one who has eluded my every attempt to unmask them. The only thing I know is that they started their activities right after we departed from Ildius 3."

He let her go as he rang the door chime, letting the seed of suspicion hopefully take root in her mind.

<Byrne>
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden,
the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.~~~~~~ Capt Picard "Drumhead"
Sorveck
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Bourne » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:45 am

Lieutenant Sarah Jamieson
Acting First Officer, U.S.S Eternity-A

Sarah stopped as she made her way to the door, not intending to leave but to move around the room to allow for those who were incoming. Suddenly, almost threateningly, the large Science Officer impeded her movement, she could taste his hot breath on the back of her throat and raised her head at an angle to meet his eye line.

"Section 31 is not as gracious as you might have been. It's true that they might come after you directly, but it is more likely they will go after your loved ones to silence you. And through my interactions with this crew, they know who to target should you become a liability. Jo. "

And there it was. The very reason she hesitated when asked about family, the one thing she feared the most wrapped up in a single sentence. Sarah clenched her fists in to a ball, pain sered through her fingers as she dug them in until the knuckles were a vibrant white. The anger that had ignited with Sorveck’s words shook her to her core, pumping through her blood with an insatiable momentum. “What?!” She growled, spittle releasing from her mouth as she pressed up against her larger opposition, their heads less than an inch from each other. “You want me to believe Section 31 do what is right and then follow that with a threat upon my family?”

"Sarah, these are not threats that I am making on their behalf. I am informing you of the dangers that have now been thrust upon you. I can not protect you, or her, from them; as I have already used my leeway to save another officer. All I can do is advise you to forget what Colin just told you about our involvement in these matters. Should you wish to forget them entirely I am skilled enough to erase the events from your mind, however it is a very dangerous meld, therefore I suggest you play the part of the young officer oblivious to matters such as these."

“You touch me,” Sarah said, her voice a low growl. “And I’ll tear your hand from your arm.” Their eyes were locked, unflinching in their resolve. Her body tight, ready for the proposed battle, ready to kill to defend her family, to defend Jo.

"Lt, you will believe what you want to. Just know that if you actually do send that communique that you are thinking about right now, they will realize something is amiss, and you won't have time to move her. Like i told you the best chance the both of you have is for you to stay out of their sight."

Sarah broke contact for the slightest second, swaying back on her heels as Sorveck shook his head. Had he really come with a warning? Was this, in its own way, his method of keeping her safe? Sarah doubted it but refused could show no emotion through the rage that emanated from her, she felt as if her entire body was vibrating gently, ready for the burden of battle.

"Lt, aside from 3 other people on this ship, I would find it unwise for you discuss this with any of the other Senior Staff, no matter what you think of their loyalties. There is a spy amongst them as well, one who has eluded my every attempt to unmask them. The only thing I know is that they started their activities right after we departed from Ildius 3."

Sorveck had turned, intending to leave before her turned back to leave another pearl with them. “We stop the Followers, Sorveck,” Sarah quickly retorted. “Then you and me are going to have a discussion about limits.” Sarah’s eyes filled with fire, locking with the Vulcan’s once again, both knowing the meaning and both understanding the consequences in that split second. “But, until then...” She broke the line of sight and looked back to Byrne, “We work to stop this madness before it goes too far.” The words spilled from her mouth. Sarah, who had felt like she was listening to the entire encounter through a telescope, couldn’t believe the way in which such a heated encounter had resolved itself so quickly. The spark, which happened just moments ago, quickly dwindled in to little more than a secondary ember. Was this a sign that more important matters took precedent over her emotions and personal feelings? She didn’t know and damn sure didn’t like it. She released the grip of her fists, looking to the nail imprints in both palms as the shaking died down, watching closely for the Vulcan’s new move.

<<TAG Sorveck>>
FSF Bourne

FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby The Writer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:23 am

Lieutenant Rick Barlow

ON:
Lieutenant Barlow walked in as Sarah Jamieson was leaving. "Commander," Barlow stated, setting the Padd down on Byrne's desk before taking the offered seat. "The nanite infusion is to happen in two hours as your probably aware. Again, D'Spal and her team have stressed that all personnel, including her own, will need to evacuate the ship at that time." He shuffled, "tell you the truth sir, the horror stories that the Followers have, with Engineering crews being melded into the ship gives me the willies...,"

<<Tag Byrne>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:57 am

Lt, Commander Colin Byrne

"So noted," Byrne nodded as the chief dropped into his chair. "More on that in a moment. Lt. Barlow, you know Lt. Jamieson. You'll be the first to learn that she has just been promoted to the rank of full Lieutenant. At any time in which I find myself in overall command, Lt. Jamieson shall assume the role of acting First Officer. Given what occurred between yourself and Lt. Orlan during the battle, I wished you to have perfect clarity as to the chain of command. Any officer," Byrne said, leaning forward, his calm voice an odd match for the intensity in his eyes, "appointed by Commander Maxwell or myself to captain this vessel in our stead shall receive no less then your fullest support. As a subordinate, you are actively encouraged to offer vital information and possible courses of action, but Mr. Barlow, I will tell you now that interfering with a designated command officer in the performance of his duty shall not be tolerated. Rest assured that if the current situation were not so dire, you'd be walking out of here with Jamieson's old collar pips."

<Tag Barlow>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby Mia Cummings » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:26 am

LtJG Amelia 'Mia' Moore
CSCI
USS Eternity

OOC: Just a quick note to let everyone know that Sorveck's 'action' of Amelia was made with my approval and foreknowledge.

=ON=

Mia was busy getting another terminal downloaded. For all their advances in technology Starfleet hadn't moved to using the holographic displays. Mostly, in her opinion, because if the holo-emitters failed they would lose control of the ship. She was working at once such terminal when she happened to see the LT Barlow walking through the Vault. "He's probably heading back to the ship," she thought absently. She saw him wave and make his way over towards her group. Mia offered him a small smile of greeting, "Hello Lt."

Barlow wrote: "I hear we are going to have that on the Eternity when she's through," he stated, striking up a conversation, "its going to be weird working on consoles that aren't really there, just holographically projected in front of you." He tapped the screen, making sure not to push on any of the floating icons. His fingers felt a force feedback as his tips glided over the holographic surface in a sheen of green contrails, as if he was touching the surface of a traditional Starfleet panel covered in a mist of green algae.

"What the heck is up with the green and black color scheme anyway?" The question was somewhat passive, Red assumed it was because of the Polaron intermix that just dumbfounded him.

Amelia nodded and watched as Barlow's hand touched the screen in front of her. "It's going to take some getting used to," She agreed, "And I would guess the color scheme is such as it lends itself to a more precise image. It doesn't give off that faint glow like the blue of the pool table. I would guess it's also easier on the eyes, if one has to be stuck looking at it all the time."

Barlow wrote: "Well, Commander Byrne wanted to see me. Its a long walk to the Eternity, but I better be off," Barlow stated, a smile broadening his face as he waved off in a goodbye, crossing towards the gantry that would lead to the Eternity.

Amelia felt her face blush at the mention of Commander Byrne. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and waved back at Barlow as he smiled and left. Amelia moved her hand to the one thing of Colin's that she had. The hilt of the blade felt cold to the touch, but somehow it made her feel warm. And Lt Barlow had just informed her that Colin was back on the Eternity. That could only mean he had made it through the surgery without incident. A small smile touched the corners of her lips in that knowledge.

She turned her eyes back to the holographic panel in front of her and sighed. There were things about the Vault technology she would have rather never known. A combination of technologies from different races, including the Borg, had been combined to create the monstrosity that had been a stronghold for the Romulans.

She got back to work, trying to ignore the feeling she had of being watched. She was certain that every one of the Followers was watching her every move. It made her a bit nervous to be down here, even with the Marines standing guard. forcing her attention back to her task she was soon once again engrossed in downloaded and decrypting everything she could, unaware that her hand kept moving to the hilt of the blade between it's moments at tapping on either the PADD or the display in front of her.

Sorveck wrote:"Careful, Lt. You might harm yourself."

In a flash of motion, Moore had whipped around, unsheathing the blade, pressing it to his throat, and using her momentum pushed him to the wall. Flame roared to life in his eyes, while he stared into her eyes as the adrenaline coursed through his veins. He quickly gained control of himself, raising his eyebrow. "Fascinating, I was unaware that close quarters combat was taught to medical scientists. Perhaps there is something you are hiding."

Mia's eyes widened when she recognized who was on the other side of the Blade. "Lt, " she lowered the blade and stepped back, her lips pressed together, "Close combat is a required course at Starfleet Academy, in case you've forgotten." She put the blade back in the sheath. "You were listed as missing Sir, presumed dead," She looked him over, "You don't look like a ghost."

Sorveck wrote: As she eased off, he tugged at his uniform. "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." He looked around the room, "I meant nothing by my statement Ms. Moore, purely conjecture. It does seems though that my following you and concern for your safety was all for naught, it seems you can take care of yourself."

It was Mia's turn to raise an eyebrow. "Your.. concern is duly noted Sir." At the back of her mind Amelia wondered just how long he'd been following her. "It was.. umm.. kind of you... to be concerned, but I don't need a personal body guard," She replied with a slight frown. Something about the man was making her uncomfortable, "It is good to see that you are alive, Lt. If you'll excuse me," she said waving back to the Follower technology, "I have a lot of work to do."

Sorveck wrote: "I will leave the, CSCI, to her work then." He turned to the door and walked towards it, stopping and facing her before crossing the threshold. "I am on my way, to the ship, is there anything you would like me to relay to anyone, things you might not want to fall on the ears of our new 'friends'."

She looked at Sorveck for a moment, and finally spoke, "I'll have a report on my progress soon." She paused a moment, "if you are going to see Commander Byrne, you could tell him that I have retrieved this as requested," she said patting the hilt of the D'K tagh.

Sorveck wrote:He nodded, "Very well." With those final two words he turned and left.

Mia watched the Vulcan walk away. Perhaps it was her current surroundings, but she suddenly felt very uncomfortable telling Lt Sorveck anything. Picking up her PADD where she's dropped it when she'd spun to protect herself she shook her head and mused, "I can't think about that, Colin is counting on me to get this done."

<Open Tag>
Last edited by Mia Cummings on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mia Cummings; AMO/Lt.: USS John C Stennis - CSEC/Lt.: USS Stargazer SFOL * Sa'Ra;Security Officer/Ensign: USS Firewall * Cdr. Amber (Tamara) Darius-Belmont - Chief Medical Officer: USS Atlantis * Lt Amelia "Mia" Moore, CSCI; USS Eternity *
Mia Cummings
Veteran Member

Postby The Writer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:47 am

Lieutenant Rick Barlow

ON:
"Don't do me any favor's Skipper," Barlow would have mentioned if he hadn't kept his mouth shut, "any excuse to get out of this circus you call a ship...,"

"I understand sir. The situation on the Bridge was, for lack of a better word, 'crazy,' and, as acting First I acted in the best regard for the ship and crew. Had I known...," he choked up, images of Ensign Taylor, drinks on the 'Back Nine,' happier times of back and forth talks and laughs flowed through Barlow's mind netting a tear to fall down his cheek. He wiped it and took a better stance in an effort to assert himself.

"I understand sir."

<<Tag Byrne>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:52 pm

"I don't question your motives, Lieutenant," Byrne replied. "I've reviewed the logs. Anytime that we're in battle, the situation on the bridge and inside TCC can rapidly deteriorate into chaos. During those moments, we must rely upon our training, and our knowledge of the chain of command to avoid the added confusion of a disagreement at the top. I know a thing or two about serving as a First Officer," he continued. "My first responsibility, and yours when you take the position in the future, is to uphold the captain and his or her orders. To publicly disagree, or worse, to begin shouting your own orders, is the ruin of cohesion during a time in which it's needed the most. I won't belabor this further, unless you've anything you'd wish to say."

<Tag Barlow>

"Now, as to what's taking place on our ship," Byrne said as he settled back in the chair, "what were you saying about engineers "melded" into the ship?"

<Tag Barlow>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby The Writer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Lieutenant Rick Barlow

ON:
LTCMDR Byrne wrote:"I won't belabor this further, unless you've anything you'd wish to say."

"No sir. I know what I did was wrong. An apology...," again a choke in his voice but he held it, "..., doesn't fit and I accept any punishment or reprimand that will be taken after this situation is over sir."

LTCMDR Byrne wrote:"Now, as to what's taking place on our ship," Byrne said as he settled back in the chair, "what were you saying about engineers "melded" into the ship?"

"Just horror stories sir," Barlow stated, "the nanomachine infusion, as I understand it, serves two purposes. It fuses the two systems, Romulan and Federation into a cohesive unit, making the commands and function of the Starfleet OS set in traditional layouts as well as repairs the damage done to the Eternity, smoothing over the rough spots so to speak. D'Spal stated that when they were doing this during the development phase of this facility a fellow worker got fused to the hull side of a corridor. His skin had been wielded and assimilated in the process," he paused, a disgusting look splashing across his face, "something I hope to avoid.

'The second purpose of the nanite infusion also sets the ships systems to be adaptable to the any amount of situation. Of course this is where Commander Maxwell comes into play as the relay point for all final commands...,"

<<Tag Byrne>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:48 pm

Lt. Barlow wrote:'The second purpose of the nanite infusion also sets the ships systems to be adaptable to the any amount of situation. Of course this is where Commander Maxwell comes into play as the relay point for all final commands...,"

"Adaptable to any situation," Colin thought as Barlow spoke.

So much for the vaunted kill switch idea, then, spoke the dark companion within him. Perhaps Oh-So-Serious-Sarah has the better approach?

"No doubt," he considered. "Still, in the interests of misdirection..."

"Lieutenant," Byrne said, leaning forward to drape his arms upon the desk as he spoke, "I don't mind telling you that I do not trust this technology, or those who're installing it. Furthermore, I have grave doubts as to the neural interface's advertised purpose. I want a method to defeat it, a kill switch, as it were. You've seen this technology firsthand. Is that a possibility?"

<Tag Barlow>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Next

Return to In-Character Roleplay