S01E04 "The Taking of Ildius 3"

Where the crew of the Star Trek: Entity sim come to post their in-character posts.

S01E04 "The Taking of Ildius 3"

Postby The Writer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Season 1
A year later after the Hobus Star is quelled from going nova by Ambassador Spock. In the year 2388, the Romulan Star Empire is no more. Efforts are being laid to give aid to the survivors of the devastation by the Federation despite the tension growing between themselves and the Klingon Empire who is held bent on laying stake to the now uncharted region of space: Section 84, “The Fringe.” Within the watchful eye of Ambassador Jean-Luc Picard, the U.S.S. Eternity, a Sovereign Class Vessel, commanded by James Maxwell becomes one of three vessels charged with exploration and policing of the Fringe along with the Enterprise-E and the Lunar Class Vessel, Titan; returning friends unite against the last remnants of Romulus, the, “Followers of Nero,” as the countdown ends.

Episode 4 "The Taking of Ilidus 3"
Directly following the events of Episode 3, Episode 4 "The Taking of Ildius 3," starts with Eternity's new Marine Detachment, "Reaper Team," turning the tide of the battle on the ground at Metar Colony as the war against the Followers of Nero break towards its conclusions.
~Gabriel "The Writer" Logan
The Writer
Post Guru

Re: S01E04 "The Taking of Ildius 3"

Postby The Writer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Prologue
Last Time on Star Trek Eternity…,
By Gabriel "The Writer" Logan

Ep. 1 "Ildius"
NX-91001 U.S.S. Eternity is the newest addition to Task Force 83, a collection of ships including the Enterprise-E and the Titan, tasked with the goal of mapping the Fringe, an area of space left changed in the wake of the Hobius Star Nova that destroyed the Romulan Star Empire. A former Marine Commander, Jim Maxwell, takes hold as the ship's Commanding Officer in partnership of his First Officer, Lieutenant Commander Colin Byrne, a seasoned Captain with somewhat of a troubled past. These two officer and the rest of the crew stumble onto a birthing star system, "Ildius," and soon are confronted with powerful D7 Klingon ships that, later, are found to be part of a faction bent to holding the Federation for the loss of the Romulan Star Empire, the Followers of Nero. In near destruction, the Enterprise and Titan come in to save the day, winning the battle and saving the Eternity

Ep. 2 "The Klingon Resolve"
Constructs of questions are riddled as the crew of the Eternity are taken in isolation at their return to Starbase 83. Trials are put forth and such and the crew are rigorously questioned on their, suppose, blatant attack on Klingon ships in the Ildius System. Meanwhile, efforts are made to colonize the new system in leeway junction of partnership between the Klingons and Federation efforts. Ildius 3 is marked as the plot and the Mayflower and Renault, two new ships to join Task Force 83, spearhead the operation. Back on Starbase 83, Ambassador Picard, former overseer of operations in the Fringe, plots a plan of attack and enlists the help of Commander Maxwell and the loyalist of the Eternity crew. Their mission, to steal the ship and meet Picard's contacts in the Klingon Empire. This is done in a monumentious take over classified with the code name, "Gingerbread," and, although some officers were not so loyal, the Eternity left for the Chi-Dan system. Upon reaching the system, Maxwell, Picard, and Commander Deanna Troi meet with General Worf and Chancellor Martok, it is in this meeting that the Chancellor of the Klingon Empire brings light to the Followers of Nero. However, upon this the assembly is attacked by a Reman Scimitar Class warbird. The Chancellor is killed and Ambassador Picard and Commander Troi are kidnapped. Maxwell is arrested for his crimes committed in theft of the Eternity and endangering the lives of his crew.

Ep. 3 "The Metar Colony"
Several months have passed since the end of the previous episode and finds the crew enjoying a much needed shoreleave on planet Earth while the Eternity is refitted by orders of the Fleet Commander of Task Force 83. The new systems include better offensive and defensive measures, and a TCC, capable of tracking slew of elements in large engagements. As the shoreleave nears the end at the Cavenaugh Villa, Maxwell makes his appearance, cutting the shoreleave short and having everyone report to the ship the next morning. The Eternity-A leaves McKinley at high warp, heading back into the Fringe arriving on Ildius 3's colony, Metar where an investigation commences on the colony's missing scout units. The situation comes to a head as a Follower Ground Units began a mount of assault on the colony. Just as Metar is giving its last fight or flight, the Portage, Renault, and Enterprise-E show up in the space above. The Akira Class Portage bringing relieve in the form of a large Marine Detachment, "Reaper Team."

…, and now the conclusion.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby The Writer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:00 am

Commander James Maxwell
Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Eternity-A

OFF:
I'll let you all determine where your characters are, whether they are beamed aboard the Eternity-A or still on the ground. But I will start you off on the right 'track,' for play in this episode. Counting this episode, we have three more left until the Season Finale; its all pointed towards the ending from here on out. I'd like to say hello to our new addition, Harmon, who will be bringing in a lot of experience in the field he will be playing in and hopefully he will get his character profile posted to the character thread :D I sort of lost the one he sent me, but I've already approved it for play. Anyway, on to the episode.

ON:
Reaper Team's arrival shelled out a turning point for Metar Colony and its hold on Ildius 3, the Commander had ordered the Marine Detachment before his arrival on Earth and he was shocked to find they didn't arrive before the Eternity in the system until now. To the amount of armor and personnel, Jim could forgive the Major easily.

"No time like the present Major," he said over the loudness around as Reaper Team took up post on the front lines. "This colony does not faultier one more step Major Harmon, and we are not giving these bastards another inch in advancing," he pointed towards the northern horizon, the units of the Followers of Nero now within view, taking up line to mount a direct assault, their final to end the colony. "They're tough, no delusions about their strength, but we have the numbers now and we are going to give them what for within the next hour, I trust your men can accomodate our guest...,"

<<Tag Harmon, Reaper Team>>

Swiftly as the acknowledge was given Commander Maxwell was again on the horn with his ship and the rest of the Starfleet Force in the area. "This is Commander Jim Maxwell to Starfleet Forces. If you didn't know already, the Colony's relief is here. Eternity should have them on the TCC. The Major is going to be lacing the targets from the ground to set you all up for shots to take. I want all efforts made on taking out that damn spider and its dampener field. Everything else should be a cake walk beyond that. I want weapons ready and poised within 20 minutes. I estimate it will be less than an hour before the Follower force is on top of the Colony. Another note, to all Fleet, Commander Pike is KIA, I'm assuming command of Metar effective immediately. Resume effort to evacuate injured and non-essential from the colony, that now includes the Colony's Security Detachment. I want round the clock reports filtered in on all fronts people, that includes Metar. I will be taking myself to the Colony Hub to oversee the operation on this end. Maxwell out."

<<Tag Everyone>>

With a quick flick, Jim returned the communicator back into his pocket and, after a brief slap on the Major shoulder, the resounding muffled impact reverberating through the Marine's armor, Jim took his leave, rushing over to the nearest drop ship. "Colony Hub, Pilot, and fast," he played before taking a first aid kit from the back compartment and patching himself up. Before long he was putting on a spare Class A Battle uniform, leaving the helmet behind as he took step off the drop ship and into the Colony Hub of which had seen better days. Jim took to the Command Deck, passing personnel set to evacuate, rushing out of the corridors that were somewhat in shambles, before sighting the Colony Command Crew almost solely ran by Lieutenant Orlan. Jim took nod towards the Ops Officer before walking forward. "Status on the Colony...,"

"Science Block is destroyed, we have retrieval teams mounting rescue of the survivors and salvage crews beginning repair," said the Engineer who was at one of the consoles.

"Evacuate the Repair crew from the area. The Science Block is not going to do us any favors right now. Consider it a lost cause." He turned towards another who began to spout off again, reports passing through his lips.

"Medical reports they are short handed, full beds, too many injured."

"Have Dr. Cavenaugh start referring patients to our support ships. We have more than one Chief Medical Officer to help, I want all reports to go to her however for proper relay to everyone else." He paused motioning over to Orlan, taking stand behind at the topographical display. "Status on the Colony's Transporter Pad."

"Out," said another officer.

"Relay repair teams to the Transporter Pad, top priority. I want to get our injured out of here as swiftly as possible."
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby harmon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:56 pm

ON:
Jon smiled and put his helmet on as the Commander left, Jon glanced over his shoulder as at the Mobile Artillery finished setting up. "All Artillery Batteries, aim for the joints of the legs on the Quadruped, HEAP rounds," Jon said into the comm., zooming in the magnification on his visor, "Anti-Armor units, aim for the Assault Tanks, overlapping fields of fire, hit em with everything you got, Armor units, aim for the Mechs, take out the weapons and legs. All units Fire." A defining roar screamed out as all the aforementioned units fired in unison, luckily for Jon and the rest of the Marines, the armor filtered out the noise. "Marksmen take high ground, all infantry units, fire at any targets of opportunity." Jon took his rifle off his back, and looked at the small team behind him. "We got work to do... lets get to it."

OFF:

((OOC: Just a quick post to get into the thick of things... more to come soon))
Maj. Alex Otaktay | MACO Detachment Commander | USS Hornet
harmon
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Bourne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:14 pm

Lieutenant (JG) Sarah Jamieson
Helm/Flight Operations, U.S.S Eternity-A

Sarah’s body remained motionless once she was pulled from the wreckage, the rescue team set her down on the medical stretcher, her head strapped, body secure and ready for transport. The loud buzz that filled the air awoke Sarah from her deep slumber, the young marine soon realised that buzzing wasn’t a buzz at all, it was back up. Sarah’s eyes opened to a piercing sunlight shining down over her, the warming glow washing over her aching body as she squinted, struggling against the straps as she tried to turn her head.

“What’s going on?” She cried, not recognising her surroundings, a fear filled her soft voice as it escaped her dry lips, splitting at the edges as she gasped to take in some air and fill her lungs before they exploded. “Where am I?” A little louder this time, her voice as well as the sentiment, she couldn’t bring herself to actually try and move but her eyes moved hard and fast, taking in everything around her. To Sarah’s left she saw a huddled of people, she couldn’t make out faces as the silhouette caused by the sun blocked all but an outline.

“Everything is going to be alright,” A man had appeared from Sarah’s right, he had knelt and grasped her shoulder lightly, startling her but at the same time, which came as a surprise, she felt comforted.

The man, Sarah noted, was wearing combat armour, Starfleet didn’t issue armour on a regular basis, only one branch of the military were ever issued armour, the same branch that wore olive green as a proud colour. “You.” Sarah tried, one final time, to lift her head from the hard board she was secured too. “You’re a marine...” She uttered the words but hardly believed it. The noise and confusion around her all began to make sense as a large ship powered overheard, blocking the powerful rays from the sun for the slightest of moments. Sarah could see, even if only for an instant, the amount of man power that had beamed down to the surface.

“Yeah,” The man smiled and wiped his forehead with the sleeve of his armour, “Have been most of my life.” He looked up, waved over one of the others and whispered quietly in their right ear, sending them off after only a few seconds.

“Me too...” Sarah couldn’t smile, the powerful throbbing in her head was hard to cover, a smile just wasn’t something her muscles were willing to work towards.

“And yet you’re now working for the Fleeters and managed to crash one of our old APC’s eh?” He smiled, enough of a smile for the both of them, looking up one final time.

“What are you looking at?” Sarah’s raspy voice struggled over the loud troop movements off to her side, the marine leaned down over her, turning his head to the right and putting his ear down close to her mouth, waving his hand so she would repeat, which she did as loud as her lungs would allow.

“We are arranging a transport for you,” He moved upwards again, scooping her right hand in his and squeezing lightly. “We are going to get you checked out by your doctor, no arguments!” He pointed at her as he watched Sarah struggle, preparing to argue her case but not managing a single word.

“Thanks,” Sarah mouthed, her eyes glistened before she squeezed them tight, fighting back a tear that finally managed to escape, rolling out from her left eye, down her cheek and on to the stretcher.

“I’m Jeff,” His smile was infectious, he waved over the same man again and, without any warning, Sarah shimmered and disappeared.

Moments later Sarah appeared on one of Eternity’s lower levels, the sick bay busier than usual, a haze of activity filling each cubicle, she had been beamed in to the large bed in the back of the room, the straps had been removed and, in mere seconds, a nurse was hovering over her, checking her vitals and running a full body scan. “Jamieson, right?” Another person who seemed full of smiles, Sarah nodded in confirmation and took a breath in, “OK, you have concussion with some minor cuts and bruises - All in all pretty lucky!” She seemed bouncy, glad to be giving the good news.

“Can I get back to work?”

“I want you confined to the ship, at least for the time being, understood?”

“I...” Sarah hesitated, weighing up the consequences of lying to the nurse, “OK.” She lied. If she was assigned to the planet she would be on the first transport.

“Then I want you resting as much as possible,” The nurses smile waned and dropped for a moment, she herself considering the current situation. “I know I am not going to keep you from going back on duty, especially now,” She sighed. “Just... take it easy, right?” She nodded, helping Sarah up and grabbing the hypospray from the bed, injecting the substance and aiding Sarah to her feet. “Take. It. Easy.”

After a few unsteady minutes Sarah was exiting the turbolift on the bridge, her left hand shot our to steady the walk and, after a pause to gain composure, she was moving forward with some semblance of balance. “Lt. Jamieson, reporting for duty...” Sarah looked across the bridge at Byrne with hopeful eyes, hopeful he wouldn’t question her.

<<Tag Byrne>>
FSF Bourne

"Chance favors the prepared Mind" ~ Louis Pasteur
FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby The Writer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:33 pm

Story Note
HEAP rounds from Reaper Team blasts from their launchers as a stream of energy rounds cascade in a wide arch upward towards the sky, the bellowing roar cascading as the rounds fall towards the Follower Units, smashing into them like raindrops, the units' shielding blaring in defiance in the explosion with a penetrating green glow. The bombardment of death thundered as chained explosions blanket the landscape before riding into the front lines of the Followers of Nero.

In a well placed shot, one round hits the forward right leg of the spider unit, the quad mech somewhat stumbling to the break of the round and the conclusive explosion nearing nano-seconds later.

As the smoke clears and the dust settles, the Follower force presses on, continuing their move towards the colony, nearing firing positions, the bi-pedal mechs opening up their front assault cannons, the tanks tanking defensive positions around, and the spider unit hunches down toward the ground, weapons poised as passingly they launch a volley of artillery rounds from their back launchers, the stream cascading in an arch towards the colony's front defensive line.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby Bridget Cavenaugh » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Lieutenant Bridget Felicia Cavenaugh, MD
Chief Medical Officer
USS Eternity-A

It had originally pleased Lieutenant Bridget Felicia Cavenaugh to return from her shore leave and discover her Medical Staff had not been sitting idly in her absence. She would later hear that what little of her Staff had chosen to remain on the USS Eternity-A during its stay in drydock had been given the choice of an upgrade for the Medical Facilities and the doctors, taking an example of her normal attitude -and an advantage of the situation- immediately descended on whatever idle dockworkers, engineers and technicians they could get their hands on like vultures on fresh meat. While many of them subsequently earned themselves places on many a shitlist, the result was a complete overhaul of the Medical Facilities aboard the USS Eternity-A. And even Bridget had to admit she couldn't have designed the new layout any better.

The new Primary Sickbay -or Medical Bay I, as it was now called- had been completely stripped and redesigned in what Bridget could only guess had been a surge of enthusiasm amongst her Staff. She would later hear her guess was correct; they had been looking to push their limits but, upon finding none, had drawn completely new blueprints in the name of efficiency. And efficient it was. The new Medical Bay was constructed as a large, circular room with small alcoves containing biobeds placed head-first towards the wall. Placing them in alcoves had the double advantage of both offering relative privacy to the patients -who were now shielded from view in all directions but the back- and the abilty to put a patient under quarantine with only one simple forcefield, creating a small room the size of a detention cell where the patient -if able- could walk around without breaking quarantine or endangering medical personnel. The circle of alcoves was only broken in four areas by the doors leading to the Chief Medical Officer's office, the dressing room, the Surgical Bay and the Primary Medical Storage. Further changes to the Medical Bay included a focus on complete sterility. Hygiene had always been an important aspect in the Medical Department, especially after Bridget Felicia Cavenaugh became the new Chief Medical Officer and began haunting her Department -and blame her- but now her Staff had exceeded even her expectations by taking it several steps further; replacing even the standard beige carpet on the floor with a shiny, crisp white covering of which Bridget only much later learned it was actually hardened parquet with sealed seams for easier cleaning and maximum sterility. The walls had also received a similar treatment and became a snow white -to create at least a little contrast with the floor- color. Replacing the durasteel parts with chrome perhaps served no other purpose than eye candy, but it sure made the Medical Bay look more sterile and state-of-the-art, which was enough reason for Bridget to like and approve it. A nice finishing touch came in the form of the small circular office located in the middle of the Medical Bay. Encased in glass walls from the front and the back -leaving both the left and right sides open for rapid leave and entry, the office served as the perfect control point for the ranking Medical Officer on duty; offering unobstructed view on recovering patients in their biobeds.

For now though, the entire Medical Department was placed on Medical Emergency and ready to receive wounded. Lieutenant Bridget Felicia Cavenaugh, Doctor of Medicine, threw one last glance at her PADD and noted with a smile both Triage Center I and II and Medical Bay II reported ready to receive wounded. This unique, pleasant smile of the blonde-haired Chief Medical Officer lasted but a moment and disappeared the moment she fastened her white surgical cap. About a second later the first wave of wounded arrived and the chaos of nurses sorting out people based on injuries filled the room. Above all the cackling the soft, neutral voice of the Eternity-As computer started making the first announcements, including but mot limited to "Lieutenant Cavenaugh, please report to surgical ward 2." Allowing a soft sigh to escape her soft, pink lips Bridget reached out for her white surgical cap and began hiding her blonde hair underneath it while but a single thought went through her head. 'Showtime!'
-Ensign Vanessa Miller, M.D.
Microbiologist, U.S.S. Ghost Rider
Bridget Cavenaugh

Postby harmon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Major Jonathan Harmon
Reaper Team CO
USS Portage

ON:
Jon watched as the first attack on the Spider thing impacted the shields, and frowned a bit, while he knew it wouldn't be that easy... there was always a small part of him that hoped. He almost felt it before he heard it as the Follower forces opened fire. Jon opened a comm link to his Combat Engineers, tell me you got it up and running." he said as the blue hue from the Mobile Shield Generators fired up, and absorbed the incoming fire. "It's up, Sir." Jon studied the spider for a bit, "Gather what we need, and prepare to assault that Spider..." he shut the comm and thought to himself, ~just as soon as we figure out how to get on board~ he thought to himself.

OFF:
harmon
Veteran Member

Postby harmon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Commander James Maxwell
Commanding Officer
USS Eternity-A
&
Major Jonathan Harmon
Reaper Team CO
USS Portage

ON:
Commander Jim Maxwell took to look as the artillery fire returned on Reaper Team, the light flashed as he turned to motion towards Lieutenant Orlan, looking at the console the officer was at. The Follower force, though the dampening field was still in play, wasn't nearly as affected by the Reaper Team's volley as the Commander had hoped. Through the optical view being fed to Operations in the Colony hub, the units continued their march unwavering; however, in catching the glimpse of the large Spider unit's momentarily balance change, a passing thought played.
"Communications," Jim stated pushing towards the front 'pool table,' that displayed the battle area, "patch me into Major 's com-link."
A slight chirp sounded and the communications officer nodded.
"Major, we have to take out that dampening field. The spider isn't going down the traditional way, we need to off balance it. You think you have enough firepower to change the landscape?"
-

Jon glanced at the small image of the Commander as it showed up on his visor off to the side. "Frankly... we've already hit it with everything we can... shy of a anti-mater round, or a tri-cobalt device... he thought for a moment... "Think one of those Fleeter ships in orbit could hit a laser designated target? What you got in mind?" he asked motioning his Armor to hit another target.
-

"The Spider seems to have good balance, but I wonder if we take out the landscape on one of its sides if it won't flip over like a turtle. The thing has to have less or no shielding on its feet. We tip it over and you and your team move in to take it out from the inside."
-

Jon smiled, "Nice to know we still think alike... I've already got a team ready to attack... we were just looking for a way past the shield we get past that... we've got a way in... and can stop it." Jon motioned for his team to get everything prepped, "So I go back to my earlier question... Think one of your Fleeters could hit a designated target?" He said with an almost evil look in his eye.
-

Jim smiled. "My ship can. Tell your men to get ready to move in."
The frequency was switched over towards the Eternity. "Metar Colony to Eternity. Number One, set all weapons on target with the coordinates Major is about to give you. I want you to change the landscape into crater city."

<<tag Byrne, Eternity>>

Another switch and Commander Maxwell was once again with . "Send the coordinates Major. You'll know when to move your team."
-

With a specific eye movement, a cross hair formed on the visor, along with a range finder and lats and longs at its specific location, he studied the direction of the spider, and picked the best spot to keep the Followers from having time to respond, he listened as a VTOL landed not far behind him to move his team into position, "We're ready to move, Commander, Fire at Will."
-

Jim took to pressing another icon, switching com-frequency back to Eternity. "Eternity, commence orbital bombardment at the following coordinates," he stated as he nodded to Orlan to relay the information set by Reaper Team.
-

<<tag Orlan, Byrne>>
harmon
Veteran Member

Postby sail3695 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Lt. Commander Colin Byrne
First Officer, U.S.S. Eternity-A

"First Officer's log, stardate 64492.9. The Marines have landed. Moments after this vessel's low altitude attack upon the Followers, reinforcements arrived in the form of the starships Renault, Enterprise-E, and the cruiser Portage, who deployed a large expeditionary force to the planet's surface. The Marines, under the command of a Major Harmon, have taken up defensive positions within the Metar colony, and the battle continues even now.
Commander Maxwell has taken charge of Colonial operations, and is coordinating in the place of Cdr. Pike, KIA. Renault, Enterprise-E, Portage, and Eternity are in geosynchronous orbit, bombarding the Followers' forces
via instructions provided by Marine forward observers under Maj. Harmon. Most of our officers and crew have been beamed aboard, save Cdr. Maxwell, Lt's Sorveck and Orlan. Dr. Cavenaugh is aboard, leading the Medical team and conducting emergency surgery as needed. Lt. Etal has reported to Engineering. I understand that Lt. Jamieson was brought aboard in need of treatment. At this time, I've no idea as to the whereabouts of Lt. Crawford, Lt. Moore, or Ens. Yahan. In addition to these officers, there are currently 27 crewmen listed as MIA. Our Yeoman is engaged in polling the other ships for rosters of evacuees and wounded they might've taken aboard in the hopes of locating our missing people. Byrne, Colin J, Lt. Cdr."

On the forward screen, the overhead tactical view hadn't changed. The dampening field had slowed significantly, evidence of both their own "death ride" and the combined barrage the Followers now received from both the Marines and the fleet above. Still, it moved toward the colony, slower, yet no less deliberate. Despite the forces arrayed against them, the Followers of Nero were still very much on the offensive. From his position on the bridge, Colin listened as his ship rained fire upon their enemies, directed by a young Marine corporal. Her voice was crisp, her instructions concise as she called coordinates for the starship's phasers and torpedoes.

"Eternity, adjust fire .052 degrees right, straddling map coordinates G-21 and G-22."

"Eternity copies," came Ensign Geoffrey Reynolds' voice from the TCC. "Firing."

Byrne listened as the phaser banks sang their familiar song, a high pitched, almost chirp of a sound which announced their latest dispensation of mayhem upon the Followers.

"On target, Eternity," reported the Marine. "Torpedoes if you've got 'em."

"Mr. Varratta," the First Officer turned to face the 3rd watch Tac who stood to his post on the bridge. "We've been at this awhile now. Please secure a torpedo inventory. I've a mind to shift to phasers only rather soon."
They had been at it for awhile. Since the arrival Passings' group, nearly two hours had elapsed. Two hours of constant combat and orbital bombardment from the assemblage of ships above. He felt that odd sense of unease once again, something which lived in the pit of his stomach, irritated the hairs upon the back of his neck. Again, Colin felt himself being duped, his attentions drawn to the battle below, very much like a con man's mark witnessing a shell game. Now, he saw 4 ships, pouring their fire, depleting their weapons stores, with god knows what floating about in the sector.

"Byrne to TCC," the First Officer said as he tapped his commbadge, "Confirm our monitoring of all traffic within the sector."

"Confirmed, sir," came the voice of Ensign Yasuka Hashimoto. "The ETH and I are both monitoring." The Emergency Tactical Hologram had proven to be one of the more valuable assets during this new phase of Eternity's involvement in the developing war. Colin had taken a dim view of the Tactical Command Center and it's accompanying ETH, but now, having seen the lethal efficiency of both firsthand, he'd come to realize that his initial judgment had been quite wrong indeed, something he intended to share with his chief engineer, if the man had survived.

Crawford. Moore. Yahan. Twenty-seven crewmen. Thus far, all were missing. Though many would doubtless turn up as "the fog of war" cleared, he couldn't help but fear for each. Sarah Jamieson, brought aboard on a hover gurney, presented another concern. He'd developed quite a fondness for the serious young woman. Her sense of duty, the discomfort she exuded in social situations, all served to remind him of another awkward young officer who only seemed to come into his own when the world shifted to the stark black and white contrast of an ensuing conflict. He made a mental note to inquire after her when this action had concluded.

"Incoming from Mayflower, Captain Orghen, sir." Yeoman Bree glanced toward him,and he nodded.

"Open a channel."

"LtCdr Byrne," Orghen said, "your runabout Mino has just departed. You should have them back in 3 minutes' time."

"Thank you, Captain," Byrne replied. "And thank you for your help with the evacuation."

"Thanks for that damnfool maneuver of yours," Orghen said. "An original?"

"Hardly," Byrne chuckled. "I saw it on holovision once. What's your status, Captain?"

"All of the colonists are accounted for. Thanks to the shipload of children you've delivered, we're complete. Seventy-two colonists injured. We have 35 dead."

"Damn. You wouldn't happen to have any of ours?"

"No," came the reply. "Your Yeoman checked. You'll find them, Colin."

"We won't stop looking, for certain," Byrne said as his gaze swept the deck. "Are you off?"

"Waiting for orders from Passings," Orghen said. "Probably Earth to drop off these colonists. We're standing by until the orders come down."

"Then I'll wish you fair winds and a safe voyage," the first officer smiled sadly.

"I should've had you over for a drink, instead of being such a hard case," Orghen replied. "Count on it the next time. Mayflower out."

"Old Harry," the LtCdr mused upon his former academy classmate. "Perhaps he's turned out alright after all..." He studied the screen, watching the tactical representation of the battle below, listening to his phasers, ruefully counting the launches of his torpedoes, until a new sound joined the environment, the hiss of a turbolift door. He turned his head, just as a haggard looking Sarah Jamieson grabbed at a railing to steady herself.

“Lt. Jamieson, reporting for duty...”

Truth be told, she looked like hell. On any other day, he might've ordered her from the bridge with a stern edict about rest and recuperation. But today, Colin found himself barely able to contain his delight at the sight of her.
Had this not been the bridge of a starship, had they not been officers, he'd doubtless have expressed his relief by means of a firm, grateful hug by now. One look into her eyes revealed more than just the simple act of reporting for duty. She needed this, he realized. He understood.

"Welcome back, Lieutenant," Byrne replied as a warm smile broke his own careful demeanor. "Your timing is perfect. I rather think Ensign Montoya might like a break, after the day he's had. What do you say, Ensign?"

"Yes, sir!" the young man nodded enthusiastically. From their stations at Ops and Communications, both Maya Okimbo and Jennifer Bee had turned, their faces lit with joy at the return of their friend.

"Take your helm, Lieutenant Jamieson," the First Officer said casually.

<Tag Jamieson>

"Oh!" Bree exclaimed, her attentions returned to her console. "Incoming from Commander Maxwel!"

"Metar Colony to Eternity. Number One, set all weapons on target with the coordinates Major is about to give you. I want you to change the landscape into crater city."

"Eternity copies," Byrne replied. "TCC, stand by." A moment passed as on the surface, the Major plotted out the coordinates for Eternity's next fusilade. The silence on the bridge was tense, expectant. After what seemed an inordinately long time, the word came.

"Eternity, commence orbital bombardment at the following coordinates." Swiftly, the grid coordinates were relayed and confirmed by both Reynolds in the TCC and Verratta on the bridge. The First Officer turned toward the third watch Lieutenant at the Tac console.

" Lt. Verratta, this one's yours. Fire."

<Open Tag>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Bourne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:19 am

"Take your helm, Lieutenant Jamieson,"

Sarah sighed, audibly, her head nodded and her muscles contracted to form a small smile, her legs pushed on through the ache and forced her quickly down to her station. The familiar material welcoming on her back as she eased in to a working position. Sarah’s head bobbed for a moment, she closed her eyes and took a breath in, the pain in her head had subsided but the pressure had surmounted an attack and was throbbing deep within her brain.

The message rattled through the communications system, Sarah opened her eyes and reached forward for her console, grabbing it to be sure she hadn’t move and to maneuver herself in to a working position. The console felt light under her fingers, easier to navigate than the APC she had been piloting for the majority of the last twelve hours. “I’m maneuvering for a better firing solution,” Sarah forced the words up and out with one exhale, quickly breathing in to refill her aching lungs with the warm, processed air that filtered through the ship. Sarah punched in the coordinates and quickly brought up the firing solutions that had been transmitted, she tucked the Eternity in to a new position and opened the engines up a little to raise their altitude to offer a better option for tactical.

<<Tag Bridge>>
FSF Bourne

FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby The Writer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:41 am

Story Note
The Follower ground army has moved into close range, the forward guard launching devastation in continued cadence of a machine gun beat as pellets of dark energy rip from the hands of the bi-pedal mechs and large rounds of tank artillery following behind. Green and Blue shielding dance in the light of the firestorm that is traded between Reaper Team and the Follower Units. Never wavering, overseeing the entirety of the battle a few miles away was the Spider Unit, its slow hulking body hampering its speed as it continued its march over the cratered landscape.

As its right side legs took another step the cloud cover parted above and streams of torpedoes rained down, hitting not the Spider, but where the unit was stepping. The constant orbital bombardment pushed up another dust storm, but through the barrage of explosions and flame clouds, the resounding grind of metal on metal could be heard like a screaming banshee until a resounding crash shelled the ground like a earthquake and out of the mist of dust, sand, and snow two of the Spider's legs could be seen in contrails falling over end over end before both fell back down into the debris cloud that was soon followed with another rumble from the ground. A bright flash sparked through the scene before another explosion hit.

To the other units, the tanks and the bi-pedal mechs, it seemed they sensed the danger and began pulling back towards their command unit, riddling covering fire as they swiftly moved away from Metar.

In the final clash of another green energy discharge from the cloud storm surrounding the Spider Unit, the dampening field momentarily dropped as sensor reads of the area came back into the fold only seconds before the field came back into blocking the area.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby The Writer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

Commander James Maxwell
Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Eternity-A

ON:
Jim held onto the pool table's edge as the shudder passed through while the titanic monster unit fell end over in causing a very large dust storm and cloud cover to slide into the scene towards the far north. "Major," he stated over the com-link, "the beast is down, stab its heart while you have the chance."

<<Tag Reaper Team>>

The Commander switched coms over toward Fleet wide. "Task Force 83, this is Metar. Seize orbital bombardment. Reaper Team is moving ground units in the area. I repeat, Task Force 83 is to seize all orbital bombardments on the planet."

<<Tag Eternity>>

"Orlan," Jim called over his shoulder, "maintain coordination effort with Major Harmon's team, give a shout out if you think the situation is going south."

<<Tag Orlan>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:58 pm

"The machine feels better oiled already," Byrne thought as Eternity's volley fire commenced. His senior helm officer had shifted the vessel's orbit to a slightly better position as he busied himself with the surface bombardment. Though he admired Ensign Montoya's ability at helm, having an officer like Jamieson back at her post, seamlessly making the necessary adjustments without waiting for an order to do so, provided a fluid sense of control which, to his mind, made the ship "click."

At Tactical, Lt. Verratta continued the bombardment, as eyes both on the bridge and in TCC carefully monitored the scene for sign of any results. All at once, Ens. Okimbo whirled from her post at Ops. "The dampening field is down!"

At the same moment, Ens. Hashimoto called from TCC with the same report. "Full scans," Byrne ordered. "Download to Maxwell and Harmon. also, send to Group Command."

<Tag Maxwell, Harmon>

Within a few seconds, the field wobbled back to life, but the brief glance they'd been offered provided plenty of useful information to the crew of Eternity. Of the attacking force, 3 of the heavy mech units appeared to have been destroyed; their positions, behind the general advance, gave Colin reason to believe that he might be seeing the handiwork of their low level pass. The tanks were out front, and appeared to be wheeling about for a hasty retreat. It was the spider that caused him to draw a gasp. The behemoth appeared to have toppled over, into a trench which matched Eternity's last target coordinates.

"Incoming from Commander Maxwell," Bree reported, opening the channel as he nodded.

"Task Force 83, this is Metar. Seize orbital bombardment. Reaper Team is moving ground units in the area. I repeat, Task Force 83 is to seize all orbital bombardments on the planet."

"Cease fire," the first officer ordered, before tapping his commbadge. "Eternity copies. Cease fire."

<Tag Maxwell>

He listened as the other 3 vessels acknowledged, pausing their roles in the battle. "Yeoman Bree," Byrne said quietly, "this might be a good time to resume searching for our missing officers and crew. Have we received any updates from Dr. Cavenaugh?"

,<Tag Cavenaugh>

"I'll check, sir."

He tapped his commbadge. "Byrne to Engineering. Lt. Etal, now that we have a brief lull in the fighting, if you wished to perform some quick checks of our weapons systems, there is no time like the present."

<Tag Etal>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Bourne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:14 pm

The noise had stopped, even if it was for a second Sarah felt awash with gratitude, with hope. Her hope was tendered quickly and within the same second she had felt the pain ease, it was right back again, shooting up her right side as she pressed onwards with her job.

“Commander,” Sarah swivelled the chair around in one smooth motion, using her left foot to slow her spin to face the heart of Eternity’s bridge. “We should take a higher orbital patrol, get one of the other ships in for a while to rest our engines and give us an overall view of the battle field.” She paused, considering how to finish, and for a second a twinge of doubt crossed her mind. “We would have better tactical command from a higher vantage.” Sarah resisted the shrug her right shoulder was attempting, she didn’t know why she was questioning her own decisions and forced herself to to show anything outwardly, the shoulder, to Sarah’s delight, settled as she span back to her console, awaiting the Commander’s input.

<<Tag Byrne>>
FSF Bourne

FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Aiustis » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Ltjg Hmra Etal
aceng
USS Eternity

"Byrne to Engineering. Lt. Etal, now that we have a brief lull in the fighting, if you wished to perform some quick checks of our weapons systems, there is no time like the present."

"Best news I've heard all day sir!" Hmra said in response.

Engineering was chaotic, which was fine by her. They had been working hard here, but there were a lot of repairs that needed to be taken care of that weren't going to happen while they were in battle.

It would be nice if she could get the weapons functioning at a higher capacity. Much had been converted to keeping the shields at peak capacity and there was little left to go around. She temporarily diverted the power from anything that was not needed at the time...and then some, giving the weapons an extra boost.

She tapped her combadge. "Weapons are looking great, but getting hit about will not offer a good outlook. There are some repairs I need to take care of." she said.

<tag Byrne>
"Butt Stallion says hello" Handsome Jack
Aiustis

Postby Bridget Cavenaugh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:39 pm

Lieutenant Bridget Felicia Cavenaugh, MD
Chief Medical Officer
USS Eternity-A

and

Lieutenant Junior Grade Amelia "Mia" Moore
Assistant Science Officer
USS Eternity-A

The Surgical Ward was constructed similar to the Medical Bay; with crisp white parquet covering the floors and a snow white variation of the standard wall panels attached to the walls. In itself, the main ward was a rather small room containing only a nurses checkpoint for control and information purposes. In sharp contrast with the white wall panels however, were six deep icy blue doors -a glass variant of the standard Starfleet door- with the emblem of Starfleet Medical imprinted on them. These doors lead to the six Surgical Wards; the domains of various surgeons and specialties ranging from Cardiology to Radiology. 

Lieutenant Amelia Moore was hurt all over. She could hear people talking nearby and struggled to regain consciousness. When she tried to speak she found out that was too much of an effort, instead she just made a sort of gurgling sound. She forced her eyes open to see a Medical Officer leaning over her, but the look on his face told her it was not good news.

In the meantime, Lieutenant Bridget Felicia Cavenaugh rapidly made her way towards Surgical Ward 2, having replaced her standard white lab coat with crisp white surgical scrubs. Over the course of the last four years the Chief Medical Officer performed a variety of surgeries and even specialized herself in Cardiology, but regardless of her experience she was never quite at ease while approaching the place where her actions alone could mean life or death. After successful surgeries it was not unknown for her to be overjoyed with happiness and swear on what she believed was the most beautiful job in the world, but that didn't took away the hint of discomfort visible in her hard, icy blue eyes when the doors of the Surgical Ward opened with a soft hydraulic hiss to reveal the patient; already surrounded by several Medical Officers donning similar surgical scrubs. "Computer, make a note in the log that Lieutenant Bridget Felicia Cavenaugh enters surgery at this... moment." Her cold, even slightly arrogant upper-class British voice gave no hint of discomfort as she spoke, only breaking in shock at the last word when she suddenly recognised the patient on the table. For only a moment she hesitated in the doorstep before she refound her composture and entered with the dignity of a queen. "Status report?" 

The surgical assistant who had been leaning over Lieutenant Amelia Moore looked up and shrugged softly. "We diagnosed her with a Grade IIIa concussion to start with." He gestured towards her head as he spoke; a neutral, controlled voice with a German accent. "Our point of concern is extreme chest trauma though. Penetration by a piece of console glass, which shattered when it hit a rib and caused even heavier trauma. Internal bleedings are causing blood to build up in the pericardium and we have cardiac tamponade waiting to happen." The man took a step aside to make room for Bridget, who subsequently leaned closer to compare the readings of the medical tricorder to what she could see from the outside. With Mia's uniform coat already cut open to give unrestricted access to her chest, Bridget could see that, even with the emergency bandages still in place, they had to deal with a nasty wound. For a moment, she leaned a little to the left to make eye contact with Amelia and her icy blue eyes suddenly softened considerably while her voice turned somewhat -surprisingly- motherly. "What kind of trouble have you gotten yourself into this time, dear?"

Amelia blinked up at the face of the CMO. Her head hurt, her chest hurt, even her face hurt. And speech was a challenge. She forced the words "Others?" in question as to the fate of those who had been in the APC with her. The last thing she remembered was the console coming at her fast.

Bridget smiled a worried, motherly smile hidden behind her white face mask and gently pressed the index finger of her right hand -also covered by her white surgical gloves- against the lips of the wounded Lieutenant. "Shh, Amelia. You shouldn't exhaust yourself with speaking." Behind her, several surgical assistants looked at each other in surprise over this unexpected side of their otherwise cold Chief Medical Officer, but even if Bridget had seen it she wouldn't have cared. She just broke eye contact with Lieutenant Moore for only a second to nod at the German surgical assistant before she turned her attention back at the woman on the biobed. "Let your thoughts rest, Amelia. Go to sleep and once you wake up, I promise you everything will be alright." There was a chance it was a promise she couldn't keep, but the painful reality remained hidden behind her motherly smile; which was ironically just as hidden. Even before she had finished talking, the German surgical assistant had gently pressed a hypospray filled with sedatives into Amelia's neck, and the soft hiss had been dampened by the motherly words of the Chief Medical Officer, who now looked at Amelia to wait for her eyes to fall shut while her surgical assistants were preparing medical equipment for an emergency pericardium window.

Amelia fought against sleep, but it wasn't much of a fight. She'd looked in Bridget's eyes and seen someone she could trust. All Amelia was able to do was blink a couple of times to let the CMO know she had heard her. As she felt the slight sting of the hypospray against her neck it was with the thought that if she was this badly hurt what had happened to the other three people on the APC. She could feel the drug taking effect and try as she might she could not keep her eyes open. Soon she was out once more and in the hands of the medicos and God.

[OOC: This was a joint post between Lieutenant Bridget Felicia Cavenaugh and Lieutenant Amelia Moore. The actual surgery, with Amelia's permission, will be written within the next couple of days.]                                 
-Ensign Vanessa Miller, M.D.
Microbiologist, U.S.S. Ghost Rider
Bridget Cavenaugh

Postby Aiustis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:28 am

Ens. Yahan Zazi
Security
USS Eternity

Zazi sat on the ground, legs crossed, rocking back and forth watching them clear the wreckage. Her thoughts were irrational because a more sensible her would certainly alert them to her presence. But she was so tired, her arm and legs were feeling numb and tingling. She shivered, her mind blanking. When she shifted, immense pain flooded her side. It hadn't hurt that much before. Why was it so hard to breathe? Her heart was beating slow and strained.

She opened her mouth to yell out, but found it too painful make the effort. She should not have crawled away from the crash. Or pulled the piece of debris, which had managed to sliced her upper arm, out of her side; it couldn't be healthy to have lost that much blood. Her head ached just a bit. And she held a shaky hand up to her face to feel the shallow lacerations. She imagined that it might look like some massive claw had attacked her face. They ran from the edge of her scalp down to her chin, miraculously missing both her eyes. She had periodically wiped the tracks of blood rolling down her neck. At least they had stopped bleeding. And she figured she must have been jarred rather badly; she couldn't remember much about the crash, before waking up covered by something heavy. Well she wasn't dead, that was something.

One of the searchers had gotten close enough to see her. If only he'd turn around. Finally he did. "Over there. When he finally made it over, he smiled at her, eyes intent on her face. "Glad to see us eh?"

She smiled back at him. "You know it. Help me up." She requested holding out the arm on her good side, masking her injury.

One of the others in the search party came over, giving her a critical look. "You're in no shape to walk."

Zazi waved her off. "I'll live." She croaked weakly, too afraid that she couldn't actually make it very far. But what was a little blood loss?

"I'll take her back." The first said. His voice trailed off as he looked down to the spot where she'd been sitting. Her eyes followed his to stare down at the blood stained ground. Her clothes had absorbed most of it. "Yeah...you probably shouldn't be moving around."
"Butt Stallion says hello" Handsome Jack
Aiustis

Postby harmon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:52 am

Major Jonathan Harmon
Team Reaper Commanding Officer
USS Portage

ON:
Jon smiled behind the polarized visor of his Helmet, he could almost sense his team was also, he grabbed hold of an handle and motioned for the pilot to take off, Standing on the skid, ready to hit the ground running when they reached there destination, the rest of his team, was already on board. Jon tensed a bit keeping himself steady as the VTOL craft lifted off, and quickly accelerated towards top speed heading towards there target, which Jon was a bit displeased to see was already trying to flip it's self back onto its 'feet'. The flight there was rather quick, and it seemed like only seconds past before Jon's boots were back on the ground. The craft was on the ground for less then 30 seconds while the team disembarked and began there run towards the downed spider, Jon fired and hit one of there enemies square in the head as he approached the beast, he motioned for his team to lay down covering fire while his demo expert set up the explosive. So far it was going like clock work.

The area around the spider looked like an old sci-fi movie, weapons fire going every which way, Jon felt his armor take a hit, but it did its job and the crystalline layer dissipated the energy blast, leaving yet another scorch mark to the many that already adorned his chest. "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" someone yelled behind him, and seconds later felt the concussive blast from the shape charge that had been set off behind him, Jon continued to lay down fire with his right hand, and used the left to signal his team to fall back inside. Before he even got close to the entrance, he could already hear weapons fire inside, as 2 members of his team entered and cleared there new foot hold. Jon entered seconds later, seeing a number of dead and dying Followers in the room, he motioned for 4 of his team to cover the entrance, and the rest to follow him.

The over all speed of the team had slowed dramatically since they had entered, which was understandable, as now the enemy had places to hide, Jon knew they needed to be more cautious. They moved silently down a corridor, or at least as silently as one could while walking on the roof of a upside down spider thing. He was certain he would have to take time later to appreciate the humor. The spider shifted again, Jon figured it must have gotten one of its feet into better footing, and was getting closer to righting it's self. His better then natural sense of balance managed to keep him upright, but he could hear his team behind him using the walls to steady themselves. As they approached a junction, Jon motioned for everyone to stop, using his telepathic abilities, he reached out with his mind, listening for the right way to go... focusing in on discussions of the crew around him, "2 of you go that way, find the engine room... the other with me... were going to find the control room, go." They split up and as quickly as they had stopped, were back on the move. The spider made a major lurch and both Jon and his team mate slammed into the wall, "Grab hold of something!" Jon said as the spider flipped itself back over, and finally landed back on its feet. ~At least that will save us from having to figure out how to do it.~ He thought to himself.

Jon was approaching the door leading to the control room, he had sent his teammate to the other door, they would enter together take the room by surprise from two directions, he was just about to send the go code when he realized that someone was behind him... no... it was 3 someone's.... ~damn~ he thought to himself, as something he couldn't understand came from behind him. His UT quickly translated it to "DON'T MOVE!" Jon stayed still as a statue... "Drop your weapon and turn around." Jon did as ordered, he set his rifle on the ground, and turned to face his attackers. One serious advantage to a polarized visor, was it allowed him to assess his enemies without them knowing what he was looking at... 2 of them had there sidearm in hand, but the 3rd was carrying a rifle. Jon reached out with his mind and found the trigger of the sidearm, and squeezed it. A disruptor bolt flew out of the barrel and slammed into the soldiers foot, detaching most of it from his body. His mouth opened to scream, but before he could, Jon had grabbed one of the knives he kept on his armor and threw it deep into the soldiers throat, The two other would be captors looked at him in a stunned confusion, Jon took full advantage of the moment, and pulled his sidearm, double tapping both of them before they had a chance to return fire.

Jon grabbed his rifle and sent the go code, pushed the control on the console and his door whooshed open, Just as planned, most of the room was looking at the lone Marine on the other side of the room, one of them turned hearing another door open, Jon fired 3 shots, and three enemies hit the deck, another 4 shots from the other Marine and the room was clear. Jon smiled, but knew the celebration wasn't over yet, almost as if it had been waiting for the moment, the comm hissed to life, "Stiff resistance in the Engine room, we require back up." Jon recognized the voice, and looked at his Marine, "Seal off this room, don't let anybody in." Jon walked back out the way he came and retrieved his knife, and made his way towards the engine room.

OFF:

((tbc tomorrow... wanted to get the party started in the big spider thing!))
harmon
Veteran Member

Postby sail3695 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:26 am

The response from Engineering had been immediate. "Best news I've heard all day sir! Weapons are looking great, but getting hit about will not offer a good outlook. There are some repairs I need to take care of."

"Carry on, Lieutenant," Byrne replied to Etal via his commbadge. "However, I'll be needing critical systems at a moment's notice. Do try to avoid a complete overhaul of anything if possible. By the by, Lt. Marquez might be spared from her post in TCC to assist you in the interim. I shall call for one of you to return to TCC the moment we re-engage."

<Tag Etal>

As the conversation concluded, Yeoman Bree spoke up. "I've got status on some of our missing, sir. Enterprise-E reports 6 aboard, 4 with fractures, 1 with blunt force trauma, and 1 with a serious crush injury. They'll beam them over as they can. Lt. Moore is aboard Eternity, sir currently listed as in surgery, pericardial......something. Dr. Cavenaugh is operating."

"Mmm," the First Officer grunted. "Doesn't sound good at all," he thought. "Yeoman, contact Mr. Morris; he seems to serve as the organizing arm in Sickbay. Inform him that we're searching for our missing people, and would appreciate an updated patient list as soon as possible."

<Tag Cavenaugh>

"We have Moore," Byrne thought. "This leaves Yahan and Crawford unaccounted for, as well as 21 others." When he'd returned to StarFleet, Colin knew full well that moments such as these were part and parcel to the experience. He'd lost people before. Names on a list, condolence messages to anguished loved ones, the official tidying up of the most heinous wreckage of all, were all that remained of those episodes. And of course, his own nightmares. Colin cringed at the thought of anyone under his charge going missing. As he thought of the names on Eternity's list, as well as the deaths of the flight crew aboard the runabout Dormin, echoes of his life's blackest day returned. He could still hear the screaming....

“Commander,” Lt. Jamieson's voice cut through the waking nightmare. “We should take a higher orbital patrol, get one of the other ships in for a while to rest our engines and give us an overall view of the battle field.”

"Noted," Byrne replied. Having spent most of the day in geosynchronous orbit, with the notable exception of their "death ride," he wasn't concerned about his engines just yet. Torpedoes, however, were another subject altogether. Lt. Verratta's inventories had come back with less than encouraging results. Eternity now possessed 114 quantum, and 139 photon torpedoes, amounts which flirted dangerously close to their mandatory defensive minimum cutoffs of 100 each. If ordered to resume bombardment, he could do so, but once he'd dropped to the minimum, it would take a direct authorization from group command to further deplete his inventories.

A further worry was the force arrayed against them. He found it impossible to believe that the Followers, who'd thus far succeeded in mounting sizeable ship to ship actions, would leave ground forces unprotected. Their cloaking technology, especially that of the scimitar which had inexplicably spared them at Chi-Dan, was of a very high calibre, and to date, undefeated. "They might have a fleet sitting right alongside, just biding their time," he thought. "Or, more likely, behind the planet, hiding in the blackout cone." It was common knowledge that though sensors did, in theory, wrap around a planetary body, there was always a zone, conical in shape, in which the converging scans did not encroach. The "blackout cone" could vary in size, depending upon the scanning vessel's orbit altitude. Given the relatively low orbit they now held, that blackout cone would be very large, indeed.

"Helm," Byrne said, "I've had a think about that. Prepare for an altitude increase, Z plus 500km, on my order. Yeoman," he continued, "send to group command, "Request permission to increase altitude by 500km for more thorough sensor coverage."

<Tag Jamieson, GM>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Next

Return to In-Character Roleplay