S01E03 "The Metar Colony"

Where the crew of the Star Trek: Entity sim come to post their in-character posts.

S01E03 "The Metar Colony"

Postby The Writer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Season 1
A year later after the Hobus Star is quelled from going nova by Ambassador Spock. In the year 2388, the Romulan Star Empire is no more. Efforts are being laid to give aid to the survivors of the devastation by the Federation despite the tension growing between themselves and the Klingon Empire who is held bent on laying stake to the now uncharted region of space: Section 84, “The Fringe.” Within the watchful eye of Ambassador Jean-Luc Picard, the U.S.S. Eternity, a Sovereign Class Vessel, commanded by James Maxwell becomes one of three vessels charged with exploration and policing of the Fringe along with the Enterprise-E and the Lunar Class Vessel, Titan; returning friends unite against the last remnants of Romulus, the, “Followers of Nero,” as the countdown ends.

Episode 3 "The Metar Colony"
The enemy is now known, remnants of the fallen Romulan Star Empire, the Followers of Nero, have now shown their cards and struck a critical blow against the Klingon Empire and the Federation. Now, with evidence in hand, the Eternity and her crew now return to Earth, while the truth is spoken, Commander Jim Maxwell is fielded a court-marshal for his rogue action of escaping Starbase 83 and stealing the Eternity momentarily; answering now for his crimes....,

Meanwhile, the Followers mobilize, getting ready to launch their strength upon the Federation colony on Ildius 3, Metar, no longer dwelling in the shadows.
~Gabriel "The Writer" Logan
The Writer
Post Guru

Prologue

Postby The Writer » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:08 pm

Prologue
Rage
By Gabriel "The Writer" Logan

Another bellowing yell of pain shot through the stoic confines of the Medical Bay. "Fvadt," hissed the Romulan General as the Reman doctor continued to work reconstructing his face, pulling back the melted sinew and broken bone.

The wound inflicted was done so by a Klingon disruptor blast while the Romulan General was in mid way through phasic transporter, probably, as the doctor explained, the only reason he was alive right now. The pattern buffer of the transporter system had pulled most of his form out before the blast hit him, however, he wasn't entirely processed. The moment he materialized onboard, the Romulan General had dropped his disruptor, let go of Commander Troi only to grabble at his face, screaming in pain and falling into the fetal position.

"Relax General," stated the Reman Commander in lean to look on his spiked staff. "The more you rile the harder it is for the Doctor to do his work."

Below the General's right eye there was nothing more than burned flesh. His skull had been fused, but there still was a hole where half of his face would have been. The Doctor began work constructing a substitute, a mesh of nanotechnology drones mended and began to reconstruct. They swarmed all over the wound as the Reman Doctor continued to feed metal into the patch work.

"Maxwell," the General played, his vocal cords now being repaired so that his voice came across rasped and digital. At this, the Reman doctor strived to fix the tone, but was blasted away by a ferocious slap across, sending him to the opposite of the room. "He's mine. HE'S MINE!"

"In due time General…,"

"No," spat the Romulan who now was being forced to lay back down, "not in time…, NOW," he again yelled, his outstretched maw transparent, held together only by streams of muscles. "We move now. We have held back long enough….,"

"You will remember your place Trajan," the Reman sparked, his eyes growing cold as he took to straighten his stand. "You are not in charge here…,"

Again Trajan slapped away the doctor, taking to a stand, the operation not entirely completed. "And you will remember your place Reman…,"

As suddenly as a flicker of light, the Reman exploded into action, hidden strength propelling him to grab the throat of General Trajan, lifting him up from his seat effortlessly. A hiss expelling from his mouth that sprawled with rows of razor teeth. His voice deepened and his eyes flared with red power. "You will remember where you are at Trajan, you will remember that your Empire is lost, your numbers dwindle….,"

Trajan gripped the Reman's arm, gasping for air, the pain of his face not withstanding he forced a nod immediately being let go, dropping to the floor like a lifeless corpse.

The Reman composed himself, his eyes going black again, teeth shelling back into fine knifes, even his features seemed to resend as he again gripped on the spiked staff with both hands.

"I only voice concern that it would be easier to reach our goal should the Federation be dealt with already. We have the strength, perhaps not the numbers, but neither did Nero…,"

The Reman shuffled before moving out. "Order the assault Trajan," he resolved, "we start in the Ildius System, we start in the holy-land….,"
The Writer
Post Guru

Re: S01E03 "The Metar Colony"

Postby The Writer » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:34 pm

James Maxwell

ON:
Stream blue light shimmered in a cascading sheen played all around as Jim Maxwell stood upon the pedestal of black iridescent metal alloy that shimmered as his boot falls touched the composite material. In an instant the blue light traversed the floor, breaking the darkness alive in a firestorm that painted the palpable image before him of a half round table of paneled individuals whose images were unclear, phasing in and out of reality before coming to a stabilized mass of black shadow.

Jim was dressed in a black uniform. A long-coat dissected within the seams by a red trim that seemed to glow with the cadence of the streaming blue beneath, flowed down towards his ankles, fitting his body tight around the torso and shoulders by a series of unseen fasteners underneath the slick cloth. Dark red crimson pips dashed across the neck collar like tracers, each one eating into the fabric matching the blue blazon of the frock and shoulder cuts. He stood poised, hands behind his back, feet separated slightly apart.

"Phase One is complete," he stated, his eyes peering out towards the shadows that played behind the half circled table. "The Followers have been brought into the light. Federation activity in the Ildius System has advanced enough to achieve the objective; though, my actions taken during the first phase might make difficult my role in the second."

"Your report was clear enough," a voice echoed across the expanse, reverberating digitally, as if artificial. "We feel however that you may still find a way to insert yourself back into the situation with your current identity still intact."

"Events have been set into motion," fielded another whose voice came higher in tone, female, but still played within the expanse distorted. "Through these acts, your insertion should progress without incident."

"I understand," Jim passed nodding his head down momentarily before looking back up.

The panel before him suddenly shifted, like water being dashed away by the wave of a hand, ripples dancing before the image itself washes away. After the dark blue lit room shuffled back in on itself. The blue light streams reverting backward towards the podium he stood upon while in the meanwhile the entire room began to dissolve, banishing itself away in degrees of pixilation, each segment falling before fading into nothing.

Through all this, Jim took to walk off, his footfalls carrying him into the shadows beyond the illusion.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby The Writer » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:35 pm

Story Note
Three months have passed since the death of Klingon Chancellor Martok. The Klingon Empire, in regards to this, has elected General Worf as Chancellor of the Empire, given his heritage and long standing history.

During those three months the Eternity has been placed in care of Utopia Planitia Shipyards, situated in dry dock for repair and refit while the crew of the Eternity have been cleared of charges made previously over the Ildius System Incident now that new evidence has been brought to the table. The crew has been returned to Earth for shore-leave until such time as the ship be ready to return to Fringe Space.

Federation presences has increased in the Ildius System as mounted work concludes in colonization of Ildius 3. Fleet Commander Julia Passing presides over Task Force 83 as the search for Ambassador Jean-Luc Picard and Commander Deanna Troi Riker continue. However due to the quiet nature of the now standing Followers of Nero, actions taken in this search have come up empty handed.

Information concerning Commander James Maxwell, former Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Eternity have been rendered classified. Until such time that another Commanding Officer is made, Lieutenant Commander Colin Byrne is made CO of the Eternity and crew.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Lt. Commander Colin Byrne
Acting CO, U.S.S. Eternity

“Alright, I think we’re finished here.” Captain Kronauer, Lead Prosecutor for the Judge Advocate, leaned back in his chair. “Unless there’s something else, Lt. Cmdr. Byrne, you’re dismissed.”

The whole deposition had come as a surprise. Having been the guest of honor at such proceedings before, Colin had expected to be ushered into a stark room to sit in a straight backed chair across from a battery of JAG prosecutors, all primed with probing questions. This meeting had gone completely against the grain. The comfortable office, the coffee he’d accepted, were all out of character. Kronauer himself had seemed uncommonly casual in his interrogatories. The questions had been cursory at best, which soon afforded him the insight this meeting was entirely procedural in nature. The JAG officer was simply “going through the motions.”

“There is, actually,” Byrne replied. “Am I being charged?”

“No,” came the answer. “Would I like to charge you? Oh, hell, yes,” Kronauer grinned, a wolfish look that Colin had come to know well many years ago, when the same man had prosecuted him quite successfully. “I’d take the case myself, if I could land you in a court-martial. Lt. Kavel is sending me daily communiqués from SB 83, begging me to take her as 2nd chair if we do,” he chuckled. “I think she’s also having fantasies about nailing your Lt. Sorveck to the wall, as well.”

“Charming,” Byrne smiled. “And what of Sorveck? And the rest of my officers and crew, for that matter?”

“Off the hook,” Kronauer shrugged. “Had each in for a little chat. Badda boom,badda bing, done.”

“Then why Jim Maxwell?” he asked, leaning forward.

Kronauer tilted his head, a condescending smile upon his face. “Oh, come on, Mr. Byrne. Do I have to spell it out for you?”

“As if I were a five year old,” Byrne replied, setting his coffee cup upon the provided coaster.

“If the Klingon High Council hadn’t been involved, I’d have each of you up on charges,” Kronauer began. “But now, since you and your little band of pirates have all been named “Heroes of the Klingon Empire,” the political weathervane has turned an about face. Overnight, the Admiralty has completely changed it’s tune, from “string ‘em up,” to “we knew it all along, and had to act as we did to support the mission.” So, over my objections, you all get to roam free. Not so, your captain.”

“That’s the point,” Byrne said. “Surely, given my record and the transmissions I filed, you’ve got a strong case? I should be the one you’re pursuing, not Jim. I’d think that StarFleet would’ve leapt to that conclusion…”

“Yeah, yeah,” Kronauer said, waving dismissively. “I get where you’re going with the whole “political expediency” argument. Would’ve worked, too, except for the Klingon Commander, um, Chu’kel,” he recounted, consulting his PADD. “Aside from raving about you by name, and your crew, she’s also announced that if a StarFleet Liason is ever appointed to her ship, you’re it. Tell me,” he smiled that wolfish grin again, “was she hot?”

“Very amusing, captain,” Colin said, offering a patient smile. “Jim Maxwell was also named as a “Hero of the Empire.” Why are you prosecuting?”

“Believe me,” Kronauer said, crossing his legs as he settled them upon his desk, “you were number one on my hit parade, until the Admiralty put the kai bosh on that. Next up would’ve been Picard, but since we don’t “habeus” his “corpus,” I had to move down the chain of command. Jim Maxwell is the perfect fit. In addition to all of my charges, he went to fisticuffs the moment he met Martok’s security, spent half the meeting talking tough, and then there is the matter of Martok actually dying. Now hold on,” Kronauer said, lifting a hand to still Colin’s protests, “I know what happened. He didn’t have a part in Martok’s death. He did, however, make the situation murky enough for the Klingons themselves that they’re not raising all hell over his prosecution. Laws were broken, Mr. Byrne. I have confessions from all of your little “Gingerbread” conspiracy. If our reborn alliance ever goes South, just understand that you and I will do this dance all over again. In the meantime, I have clearance to prosecute Commander Maxwell. Rest assured that I will.”

“You’ve got other confessions?” Colin asked, feeling a fear gnawing at the pit of his stomach.

“Do I?” Kronauer grinned again. It seemed as if the man’s canines had actually grown.
“Let’s see,” he said, thumbing his PADD. “Jean-Luc Picard claims full responsibility in advance, as well as goading you into your admissions. James Maxwell says he did it all. We’ve got your cute little messages from the LCARS in your quarters, as well as the transmission you sent. No, wait, it gets better,” he continued. “Lt. Orlan…”.I am responsible.” Lt. Jamieson…..”my responsibility alone.” She then goes on to compare you to Clint Eastwood from his spaghetti western days.”

“Clint Eastwood? Spaghetti western?” Byrne asked.

“Never mind. Let’s see, who’s next? Ensign Okimbo….”.I am to blame.” Yeoman Bree…“I am responsible.” Oh, that poor girl,” Kronauer laughed. “She was so frightened. I thought I’d have to send the chair to the cleaners after her deposition. Next, Lt. Cavenaugh….“I think they were all involved.” Now I believe her! Lt. Sorveck….. “Of course I am responsible. It’s only logical, you p’tach”….Lt. Crawford…..” I am guilty as charged,” Lt. Etal….”I suppose I’m guilty for cooperating.” And of course, there’s my personal favorite, Lt. Marquez. “I bear sole responsibility. The nanites made me do it.”

Despite himself, Colin chuckled as Kronauer dropped the PADD onto the desk, his wolflike grin broadening. “Funny stuff, I know. We’re saving some of it for the office Christmas party.”

“They’re a good crew,” Colin said, his expression becoming serious. “Should things ever “go South,” as you put it, let’s have an understanding. Leave my crew alone. Come after me, and you’ll have my full cooperation.”

“I can live with that,” Kronauer said thoughtfully. “Besides, with all these confessions, it’d take everyone in my office months of digging to actually figure out just who really is “Spartacus.”

“Spartacus?” Byrne asked.

“Not much of a classic cinema fan, are you, Mr. Byrne?” Kronauer asked. “We’re done. I’ll be seeing you, hopefully soon.” The wolf grin was accompanied by a predatory gleam in Kronauer’s eye as he watched Byrne exit his office.
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby Sorveck » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Lt Sorveck
CSCI, USS Eternity

Sorveck sat in his quarters in Earth Spacedock. Most of the crew had elected to be assigned temporary quarters on Earth, until the Eternity had been restored, yet he had chosen to stay aboard the base. It wasn't that Earth didn't appeal to him, he just preffered the deserts of the his own Vulcan.

He tapped a few keys on the terminal to check his daily logs, when he noticed there was a personal message for him. He opened it.

To: Lt Sorveck CSCI USS Eternity

Lt,
In lieu of getting your yearly physical from your Chief MEdical Officer, Starfleet medical will require you to report to LtCdr Ujal Nonex. This should be done before the Eternity Launches from Utopia Planetia, otherwise you will be barred from service. Report promptly.
Dr. T'sara
CAPT, SFM

Sorveck sighed, Ujal was pulling strings. This was generally not a good thing. The Bolian would live his secret life in the shadows where it belonged. But if he began to pull at strings, then something important was afoot. He looked around the quarters and sighed at how sparse they were, seeing as all of his belongings were still on the Eternity.

His mind wandered back to the Eternity andthe events that had transpired. The loss of Martok had been hard on the Empire, but to his surprise Worf had risen to Chancellor with little opposition. While Klingon politics weren't his forte', he would have assumed that Worf would have been on the fringe of recognition. He had contacted his father however, he had wanted to see who his house would support. It was intruiging to find out that they too had supported Worf.

The wall chronometer beeped, it was 16:20, time for his exam. While they had been on leave, and in between bouts of questioning, Sorveck had contacted the the Vulcan Medical University and had resumed work on his Medical Doctorate. He wanted it, less for the application of the of the skills, but more as a way to have another connection to his dead wife. Not very VUlcan-like, but then again he wasn't a typical Vulcan.

After this final Exam he would have the degree, but not be able to practice unless he was in the company of an actual physician, with more experience. But to him it was just another note on his jacket, and bonded him to his wife nothing more.
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden,
the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.~~~~~~ Capt Picard "Drumhead"
Sorveck
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby sail3695 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:28 am

Edited - I keep juxtaposing "Utopia Planitia...."

His meeting with JAG now behind him, Byrne exited the Admin annex building, choosing to walk to the shuttleport for the time it would afford him to collect his thoughts. Kronauer's words had given him two important considerations. First, he could now say with assurance that none of his crew had to concern themselves with any further legal action; the Klingon High Council had laid that to rest. Second, perhaps most telling, was the fact that despite Jim Maxwell seemed to have disappeared altogether, Kronauer still had plans to prosecute. Remembering Martok's words revealing Jim's involvement in Intel, Colin scowled. "Bloody Intel," he thought. "You can't swing a dead cat without hitting 3 of them. God only knows how many other "secret agents" they've sprinkled about the ship." As for his commander, his friend, he had but one thread of certainty. There would be a hearing, which meant that wherever they had him sequestered, StarFleet would have to present Maxwell to stand trial. "Make it soon," Byrne thought. "My time is running short," he thought, considering a hearing the only opportunity he'd have to support the man who now seemed to be StarFleet's ultimate scapegoat.

His thoughts turned toward the ship. Eternity had again been brought home under tow. This time, her damage had been significantly greater, severe enough to warrant the attentions of the Utopia Planitia yards. By the time he and his officers had been released from custody, the ship had taken on a positively nightmarish appearance. His first glimpse of her, denuded of all her outer hull plating and missing not one, but both nacelles and pylons, had elicited a gasp of horror. "My god," he'd thought at the moment, "they're breaking her apart for scrap." The ship had been depressurized then, requiring EV suits for the officers as they returned to see the state of her. Cables and lines had snaked from the dry dock feeds into a thousand intentional breeches of her inner hull. Every deck was a surreal dreamscape of discarded structure, stacks of materials, and EV suited figures who moved casually through the flickering blue light of cutting torches and tack bonders. Had there been any atmosphere, the noise would've been deafening. As he took it all in, Byrne swore to himself that he'd never seen a repair/refit operation of such magnitude before. Clearly, StarFleet had learned a few things from their encounter with the Followers of Nero. This level of activity offered the impression that Eternity would be seeing her attackers again...

The greatest surprise of the refit had been the man they'd chosen to oversee the project. Dr. Sidney Lydon, now a civilian, had grown a very successful developmental engineering firm since his days in StarFleet. To know Lydon was to endure him. Colin had known him quite well, as he'd been chief engineering officer aboard the Repulse. "Quirky, irreverent, and insubordinate" were words which had preceded his arrival to that post, and he'd continued to build upon the reputation since. One could detect Lydon's whereabouts in the ship by simply following the echoing of the reggae music he insisted upon as part of his work environment. Despite his nature, he was universally recognized as one of the most brilliant design engineers in the Alpha Quadrant. As a result, StarFleet retained his services on a regular basis, and on his terms. Though in the past 2 months' work he and Crawford had nearly come to blows on several occasions, Colin had noted with satisfaction that both men recognized the creative genius of the other. Their collaboration had been a remarkable process. While Colin didn't know Etal's thoughts concerning Lydon, he had no doubts as to where Marquez stood. Every time his name came up in their conversations, she unleashed a hot stream of curses in her native Spanish.

<Tag Crawford, Etal>

He'd granted shore leaves upon request to his officers, and was intensely gratified to note that none had chosen to transfer. Eternity's crew were developing the level of cohesion that would allow them to act as a single, living organism, a happy rarity that captains throughout the centuries wished for. Thus far, he'd persuaded each of them to take but a few days away from StarFleet, except for his engineers. Each had come back, diving into the work of their departments with a fervor. Their efforts had quickened the pace of the rebuild, prompting Lydon to announce that "we're moving the ship to ES McKinley in 2 days." Lt. Sorveck had gone ahead to Spacedock, their ultimate destination, to handle the details related to their arrival.

<Tag Sorveck>

The move to Earth Station McKinley sounded a significant note to Byrne. U.P. Yards had restored her integrity as a starship. McKinley was the orbital site from which Eternity would receive her most significant technological upgrades. Phasers, sensors, computer systems, and a host of StarFleet's most advanced tools of the trade were applied and improved upon here. Given the list of upgrades that Crawford and Lydon had put in for, Colin thought that their stay at McKinley would be of no more then two weeks' duration, at best, before they were off to their next assignment. The roster of incoming crew, along with their arrival dates, confirmed his suspicion that "the grass will not be growing beneath our feet," once the ship received her operational clearance certifications from Lydon.

" Two weeks," Colin thought as he walked between the buildings of StarFleet Command Headquarters, shivering in the brisk wind which whipped it's way off San Francisco Bay. "Looks as if we'll be missing each other again." Antonia was still across the quadrant, involved in a series of trade negotiations with the Grizzellas, a species to whom time seemed to have no meaning. Her messages told him of the glories of their hospitality, as well as the frustration concerning their negotiation practices. She'd been at it for nearly 4 months now, with no end in sight. "I shall be positively fat when you see me next," one of her messages had complained.

"I'll still love you, thick or thin," he'd responded. Antonia's rebuttal of his request to end their relationship had proven to be a very wise message indeed. In a response which had him veering between laughter and wiping a tear from his eye, she'd reaffirmed their love, and in the process, lifted him from a blackness of the soul that he thought inescapable. He'd loved her deeply before. Now, he'd devote his life to her. While he'd hoped that they might have time together, her latest message had left him little doubt that it might be best to hope for a reunion around Christmas time. The thought of taking any sort of shore leave had wrankled his sensibilities; without her, he simply hadn't felt the desire to escape the confines of his life in fleet.

His opinion had changed in the past day, however, with the arrival of 2 items. The first was a package from Quo'nos, delivered personally by the Klingon Ambassador, for presentation to his crew. The second had been a simple message from Dr. Cavenaugh:

Lt.Cmdr Byrne,

It shall be my pleasure to invite yourself, the senior officers, and any of our newly arrived officers to spend a few days' shore leave at my family's villa on Curacao. Jan Thiel Bay is picturesque and relaxing. The villa's staff are attentive, and shall look after every need. We have plenty of space; please invite the officers on my behalf. I shall look forward to the pleasure of a reply.

Lt. Bridget Cavenaugh
Chief Medical Officer, U.S.S. Eternity

Though written in her formal language, the message still conveyed Bridget's desire to heal any relational wounds between herself and the officers who'd risked all by violating their oaths. "Quite the olive branch," he thought, deciding himself that this battered, tightly knit crew could use a few days together in a pleasant environment, which Curacao definitely was. "A few days of the sun on your skin wouldn't be a bad thing," he'd considered. Having the officers together on Curacao would also offer an opportunity for him to reveal the contents of the package he'd received from Quo'nos, in a presentation which he'd hoped would help each in their individual coming to grips with their actions. "Once we're docked at McKinley," he decided, "I'll send 'em all to Curacao for a few days."

His reverie was interrupted by the slender arm which suddenly glided in to take his own. "Hi, sailor, wanna have some fun?" He turned to find a grinning Cmdr. Andrea Morgan.

"Andrea!" Colin exclaimed, taking his former First Officer into a firm embrace. "How nice it is to see you!"

"I heard that you were drinking coffee at JAG," she smiled. "How long are you in town for?"

"I was just headed off to U.P. now," he replied.

"There's a hot spot," Morgan quipped. "Have time to buy a girl lunch?"

"Buy?" he asked, feigning shock. "Shouldn't you be buying for me? Hero of the Klingon Empire, and all?"

"Oh, right. What was I thinking? Come on. I know a great place for gagh...."

"On second thought," Colin laughed, "perhaps I shall buy. Seafood, then?"

"Done," Andrea nodded as she held to his arm. "I know the perfect place. We've got a lot to catch up on," she said. "I've got some things you'll want to know."
Last edited by sail3695 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Bourne » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:26 pm

Lieutenant (JG) Sarah Jamieson
Helm/Flight Operations, U.S.S Eternity

“Sarah!” The female voice echoed up above the trees, “Where did you get too?” The voice was moving closer, stumbling up the ridge line Sarah had only recently ascended.

“What’s up Jo, going too fast for you?” Sarah asked playfully as the women finally approached her. “You see this, right here, Jo?” Sarah asked, “This is all I need to be happy.” Sarah waved out over the ridge, the South American tree line carried from the foot of the mountain the two women were ascending out to past where the eye could see, a low fog had set in over the past few hours and threatened to follow them up to the peak, that was until the sun rose high up in to its mighty peak above the land. The warm ray shone down, covering the beautiful landscape below them, glimmering off the rivers to the east and almost leaving a trail for the two lonely soles to follow on a journey that had already taken them the best part of a week.

“How long have you been back on Earth now? Two weeks?” Jo asked, her blonde hair tied behind her back, she was shorter than Sarah, her fair skin glowed as she basked in the morning light. “And you’re already thinking of not going back, right?”

“Jo...” Sarah started walking again, placing her hands at her sides to open her lungs a little as her feet pounded against the hardened mud. “You know the work I’m doing is far to important to ever think about quitting, especially now...”

“I know, I know...” Jo raised her hand, defeated and not wanting another argument.

The two women had spent the week alone in the jungle, both were trained trackers and both enjoyed isolation from the world. The trail they had chosen was a lesser known track, offering them the time they needed, long walks and cool nights under the stars is exactly what Sarah had begged for once she had returned. The mission had taken it’s one toll on the young marine and instead of heading straight for home she had decided to revisit her old garrison for a few weeks, hoping some contraband alcohol and campfire stories would help. Nothing helped. She still heard the same words she had heard before and could not help but think about the Eternity at every single turn.

“Here...!” Sarah shouted from above the ridge. “This is exactly what I was talking about! Look!” As Jo joined her on the ridge, Sarah jumped for joy, the stretch of jungle stopped, the ridge they had been ascending curled off and as if someone had painted a crescendo of colour the ground rose upwards to a large, double edged waterfall falling, the clean, crisp water smashing down in to the most isolated of valleys below them, greens and blues splashed together along the rocks, animals grazed in the plans that surrounded the river and deep in the corner was a small wooden shack. “I built this years ago when I came up here after I passed basic,” Sarah said, slipping the pack from her shoulders and chugging some water. “I’ve always wanted to come back but never found the time...”

“It’s beautiful, Sar’,” Jo levelled up with Sarah, slowly she slipped her left hand in to Sarah’s and squeezed gently. “Thanks for bringing me here,” Jo smiled, her eyes slowly turning from the landscape to Sarah, “Thanks for showing me this place.”
FSF Bourne

"Chance favors the prepared Mind" ~ Louis Pasteur
FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Sorveck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:29 am

Lt Sorveck
CSCI USS Eternity

After 2 hours Sorveck had finished the grueling exam. His results would be sent to SFM annd be available for review within 24 hours. He knew he could get a look at them before hand, once he visited Ujal, a meeting he wasn't keen on going through. He knew Ujal and the Bolian was going to put him through hell now that he was Sorveck's handler and the situation wasn't reversed.

He made it to his quarters quickly. He needed rest and meditation, the preperations for moving the Eternity to Mckinley were grueling. And with Byrne taking over CO Duties while Maxwell was being detained, Sorveck took it upon his self to relieve Byrne of some of his Executive officer duties seeing as how the Science Department had been shut down during the repairs.

He sat down at the terminal and turned it on. The red light in the upper right hand corner, indicating unread messages. Opened the first of the three, it was a briefing on his new staff members. He requested both a new head for the Chemistry Department and and expansion of the Exomicrobiology department. He had the lab space, but the Eternity was a pariah, no young recruits or fresh graduates, nor any seasoned Doctors wanted an assignment on it. He had had to pull a few favors in order to get the replacements he needed. As he read the note his head shook, the new department head had adamantly opposed this assignment. He opened the woman's service jacket and then found the reason why. She was the sister of Lt Kavel, it seemed that the incident with her was going to mar his reputation.

He closed that message and opened the next one, this one from Base operations. It was in regards to bringing the Eternity to space dock. He perused it and then forwarded a copy to Byrne and Crawford. It was just detailing when the move would take place and where they would be stationed. But Sorveck was relieved nonetheless, with the Eternity in space dock he would have his quarters back.

<Byrne,Crawford>

The last message blinked incessantly, he opened it knowing who it was from.

To: Lt Sorveck
RE: Your Physical is due

Lt,
Per the earlier communique, you are required to visit my office for your physical. The only opening I have, in the next hour. Arrive promptly, otherwise yo uwill not be cleared for duty for six months.
Regards
Ujala Nonex, MD
LtCDR SFM

Sorveck sighed, it seemed there was no getting around this. He stood up and smoothed his uniform. He looked at the chronometer, it was time to get it over with. He left his quarters and headed for the nearest transporter room
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden,
the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.~~~~~~ Capt Picard "Drumhead"
Sorveck
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby sail3695 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:23 am

"So," Andrea asked, "how's the ship coming along?"

"To my eye, she's beautiful," Byrne answered. "However, my chief engineer and my head of ops have a different opinion on the subject."

"And you've got Sid aboard," she grinned. "Any aneurysms yet?"

This prompted a smile from the Lt Cmdr. "Not yet," he chuckled, "but Lt. Marquez might not last out the refit before punching him. In any event, we clear U.P. in two days' time, then transfer to McKinley for our more sensitive upgrades."

"Earth orbit. That's good news. We can catch up some more. I think Admiral Graham would love to see you as well."

"And I, her," Colin replied, "if only to apologize for any setbacks I've dealt your re-enrollment program. I've...."

"Wait a minute," Morgan interrupted. "You and Marquez have become the poster children for the program. "Experienced officers, new experiences," has become our recruiting slogan. I've got a few other things to share as well," she said, pulling her coffee cup before her as their waiter cleared the lunch dishes. At Byrne's gesture, she continued. "You've got friends in the Admiralty. Remember that little clause in your new commission, "not to achieve the rank of captain, nor to ever be given command?"

Colin nodded.

"Poof, gone," she smiled. "Between you and me, though Fleet is saying that they're looking for a new CO for your ship, they've told Admiral Graham to drag her feet in the search. You're holding Eternity for awhile longer."

"Hopefully, until Jim Maxwell returns," he replied.

"I'm not so sure about that," she said, her expression becoming serious. "The Admiralty is rubbing this all over the face of the Marine Commandant. Intel has it's fingers in the pie as well. There are a great many collar pips in all branches who are just itching to make this go away. You know how this bodes for your jarhead."

"Not well." he said, his eyes cast down into the swirling blackness of his coffee. "I thought we'd given up "walking the plank" centuries ago."

"As long as Machiavelli remains in the library, he'll have plenty of students," Andrea said. "You really like this guy, don't you?"

"Between us, he's young, sometimes a bit brash, and there have been moments in which our conversations have felt like a chess game, but yes, Andrea, I like serving under him a great deal. I know the man. There's no other officer I'd prefer to sit in that command chair."

"Even over yourself?" she asked, a wry smile playing at the corners of her lips.

"And what's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, something else I've been dying to share here." Andrea's smile broadened to a grin. "Your name was quietly added to the command list. Once they have things figured out with Passings' task force, don't be too surprised if you find yourself transferred. There's an Akira headed to U.P. for a top to bottom refit that's got your name all over it."

"Too soon," he said. "Please make certain that I'm passed over. Eternity's where I wish to remain. Andrea, the crew have been positively amazing. I haven't seen such a spirit since our days on Repulse. This," he said, "has exceeded my wildest expectations for returning to StarFleet. And so long as Jim Maxwell is not aboard his ship, this is where my duty lies."

"You gonna ask him to the prom?"

Byrne chuckled at that. "Not likely, Andrea. I just wanted you to know that I'll prefer to hold his ship until he's clear to return to her. We've made a difference. I can't ask for more than that."

"Well," she said, a sly smile coming to he features, "you could ask for more. A certain modified Galaxy class ship is now pushing 20 years old. They've scheduled her for the U.P treatment at the beginning of next year. It's a long refit, about 6 months' duration. Her crew and officers are being reassigned. There have been some suggestions already made about her next CO..."

"Repulse?" he asked, dumbfounded. "They'd give me Repulse again?"

"The Galaxies are no longer the belles of the ball," Andrea replied. "They're being reassigned to new missions. With your history written all over Repulse, not a lot of senior captains can put their egos aside to take her. Of course, this means that you wouldn't see her untll the middle of next year at the earliest, and that's with a perfect refit schedule."

"I do love that ship," he mused quietly. "Under any other circumstances, I'd take her today. But Andrea, Eternity's where I belong for now. That ship, and that crew, have a purpose. I won't consider it until we've got Jim back, and our business in the fringe is concluded."

"Admiral Graham thought you might say that," came the response. "Repulse will wait. Just make certain that you're still alive to take the con."

"Count on it," Colin smiled. "And when that moment arrives, count upon my asking you to take the First Officer's berth."

"You know the answer to that," Morgan grinned.

"As I'd hoped," Byrne nodded. "Now,Commander, I hate to rush off, but I'm due aboard the ship, for a full engineering briefing from our chief. Would you give my best to the admiral?"

<Tag Crawford>

"Do that yourself, when you've got Eternity to McKinley. You can buy us both lunch then."

"That'll be a pleasure," he smiled. "I have to be off. Thanks for the information, Andrea."
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby Bridget Cavenaugh » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Lieutenant Bridget Felicia Cavenaugh, MD
Chief Medical Officer
USS Eternity

Current Location: Starfleet Judge Advocate General Corps Headquarters; Downtown San Francisco – Earth

It was getting late in the capital city of the United Federation of Planets. The sun had long set below the horizon and “the intergalactic city that never sleeps” changed into a valley of lights to accommodate both tourists and residents –not excluding cadets from the nearby Starfleet Academy- that made for up the bustling nightlife. At the Headquarters of the Starfleet Judge Advocate General Corps the majority of the personnel had gone home hours ago and Starfleet Security was now actively patrolling the perimeter and dark hallways of the metallic gray tower. One prosecuting attorney made for an exception however, and the light of his office clashed terribly as the only source of light on an otherwise dark exterior. On two separate occasions –where Security personnel had miscommunicated- Starfleet Security had come checking only to find the attorney and his client still very much alive and working on something undoubtedly important if it couldn’t wait until the beginning of a new week.

The office of Lieutenant Commander Alliott Harding, the prosecuting attorney in question, offered a magnificent view of the Golden Gate Bridge and underlying San Francisco Bay through the back wall; which completely consist of hardened safety glass. For the brown-skinned attorney the view had lost value a very long time ago, but while he was focused on the PADD in his right hand –which contained the debriefing report of Lieutenant Bridget Felicia Cavenaugh- the female Doctor of Medicine was caught up in the scenery of a lit Golden Gate Bridge and the reflection of the moon in the dark, cold water of the San Francisco Bay.

”So, just for the record.” Lieutenant Commander Alliott Harding looked up from the PADD, but as his brown eyes met the appearance of Lieutenant Bridget Felicia Cavenaugh –who was staring past his chair and at the scenery behind him- a smile appeared on his face. Placing the PADD back on the glass desktop of his desk, he casually leaned back in the soft, black leather of his large desk chair –which was now warmed up by his body heat- and studied the face of the blonde-haired Chief Medical Officer on the business end of his desk. ”You know, Lieutenant, it’s ironic to see how you get impressed by this scenery despite everything you see out in space.” His voice was friendly, matching the gaze of his brown eyes and conflicting with the professional and serious atmosphere the case actually warranted.

When the man’s voice reached her ears, Bridget turned her attention away from the scenery and back at the prosecuting attorney; making her icy blue eyes connect with his as she did so. ”After Starfleet Medical Academy, I forgot how stunning the Golden Gate Bridge could be at night.” Her voice had a friendly tone matching the kind look in her eyes, and for a moment the corner of her soft, pink lips curled in a small smile. ”Space can be very beautiful as well, but this –the Golden Gate Bridge- makes me relive old memories.” A soft sign escaped her lips as she turned her attention back to the scenery in the distance for a moment, but when she looked back the neutral, slightly cold facial expression had returned on her pale Caucasian-colored face. ”And after my last run, I’ve seen more than enough space for a while.”

Harding took her hint and upon instant his smile disappeared as well, returning the professional atmosphere to the office. ”Yes, I completely understand. About your report though,” He reached out for the PADD on his desk and read a highlighted section one more time just to be sure. ”Are you sure you want to press abduction charges against Commander James Maxwell?” The prosecuting Lieutenant Commander turned his attention back to the blonde-haired Lieutenant on the business end of his desk, but upon meeting the cold, decisive glare of her icy blue eyes he confirmed his own question and put the PADD back down on the table. ”In that case, Lieutenant, I want to know where we stand. James Maxwell only has a marginal defense against the mutiny charges pressed by Starfleet Command, and I would hate to see him drag you down with him.”

”Aiding and abetting?” Bridget eyed the JAG-officer for a moment, but found her answer in his returning gaze. In reply, Bridget indignantly cocked an eyebrow before speaking up again. ”In Commander Maxwell’s hurry to leave Starbase 83 he never thought about bringing additional Medical Staff along with him. After my initial attempt to retake the ship with Ensigns Eric Danforth and Nicolas Simmons of Starfleet Security, I became aware of that pressing fact and had to take a neutral stance.” She looked at the man for a moment, but his brown eyes didn’t reveal any sort of emotion. ”My oath as a Starfleet Officer required me to retake the ship, but my oath as a Medical Officer required me to provide medical assistance to those in need. After my attempt to retake the ship failed and the situation became hopeless, I relieved Commander Maxwell of duty so I could make a diagnosis of his ability to make rational decisions. I’m not a trained counselor, but given the circumstances it was the best course of action. When I couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary, his recent actions at that time taken aside, I was forced to declare him fit for duty, be it under certain conditions.” Having read it in the debriefing report, the Lieutenant Commander still didn’t move even as much as a brow, and Bridget once again continued. ”As I wrote in my debriefing report, I declared myself a neutral party in the conflict to allow myself to provide medical assistance. I did promise Commander Maxwell that, should anyone make it clear to me they were staging another attempt to retake the USS Eternity, I would join in without second thoughts. In return, I made him promise he would surrender himself and the ship back to Starfleet Command after he finished what he started, and to seal the deal we agreed on posting two Security Guards outside my Primary Sickbay.”

Alliott Harding rubbed his chin with the thumb of his left hand for a moment, absently sorting through what the Chief Medical Officer told him. It was written in her debriefing report, but now she told her story in spoken words he had to give her credit for playing both sides of her oaths the way she did. ”I have to admit you covered yourself rather well, Lieutenant.” For a moment a small smile formed on his face, but upon noticing the indignant, cold glare still present in her icy blue eyes it quickly disappeared again. ”In terms of aiding and abetting you have a rather strong defense, but it is somewhat of a tricky situation. I agree with your reasoning to press abduction charges, but if James Maxwell gets desperate enough and attempts to draw you with him in his inevitable fall, you might find yourself in a process that will take years to come to an end.” A soft sigh escaped his lips and he closed his eyes for a moment to reach a solid conclusion. ”No.” He opened his eyes again and looked at the female Lieutenant. ”If you want to press abduction charges against Commander James Maxwell you have a solid case. Even if Maxwell decides to charge you or bring Starfleet Command to charge you for conspiracy, your defense is strong enough to win. Starfleet Command won’t start such a long battle when they know they can’t win it.”

”I know Lieutenant Cavenaugh well enough to know she would rather die than betray Starfleet, Commander Harding.” A man in his mid-50s glared at the prosecuting attorney with his icy blue eyes through the small desktop computer that was standing on the glass desktop of his desk. His black hair was lined with the finest gray and his hairline, proving he once possessed a stylish coupe, had started a slow, upward retreat over the years. ”I might be kept out of this case because of my personal connection with the Lieutenant, but I can assure you Starfleet Command will not charge her for anything, least of all conspiracy.” His upper class British voice came with a cold, slightly indignant undertone which served –and succeeded- to accentuate the shiny, polished insignias of a full Admiral on both sides of his red collar. ”If that concludes our business, Commander, I would be grateful to head to bed.”

For a moment, Alliott established eye contact with the female Lieutenant on the other side of his desk, and after that slight moment of mutual understanding he found it difficult to keep from chuckling as he returned his attention back to the Admiral. ”I am grateful you found the time to join us, Admiral. My apologies for keeping you awake this late.” The Lieutenant Commander compromised with a small, apologizing smile and he kept looking at the screen of his computer, waiting for the polite reply that followed soon afterwards.

”Very well then. My thanks for assisting my daughter in this rather delicate situation, Commander Harding. Have a good night.”

Lieutenant Commander Alliott Harding kept looking at the screen until the commlink was terminated by the Admiral and his face was replaced by the emblem of the United Federation of Planets. He thumbed the button to terminate the commlink on his side as well just to make sure before he turned his attention back to the younger, female version of Admiral Jonathan Cavenaugh with a smile on his face. ”Well then, Lieutenant, I’m glad to see you have the support of Starfleet Command in this matter. If this concludes our business…” The prosecuting attorney got up from his chair and straightened his black uniform coat while the female Lieutenant on the business side of his desk also stood up. ”I’ll see you in court, Lieutenant Cavenaugh.” As he offered his hand in a friendly handshake, he suddenly heard the distinctive growling of a stomach. Raising his eyebrows in surprise, he saw the light Caucasian-colored cheeks of the female Chief Medical Officer rapidly turned into a blushing red. ”You know,” A smile appeared on his face while the blonde-haired woman shook his hand in a hurry, and he politely attempted to ignore what he just heard. ”We’ve been working on formulating your charge for hours and between you and me, I developed an appetite. If you allow me to treat you for dinner, I won’t charge overwork.” Alliott could see the Lieutenant visibly hesitated. ”I know a good Bolian on the corner of Montgomery and Market.” Her reply, be it somewhat cold –and staged- would make his evening.

”Deal, but only if you leave our ranks at the door.”
-Ensign Vanessa Miller, M.D.
Microbiologist, U.S.S. Ghost Rider
Bridget Cavenaugh

Postby FSF Bourne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:13 pm

Lieutenant (JG) Sarah Jamieson
Helm/Flight Operations, U.S.S Eternity

Night had fallen, flames from the handmade fire danced upwards, tickling the darkness as it illuminated the front side of the cabin, the orange warmth emanating outwards and surrounding the two women who sat, perched on the self-made porch that stood proudly, reaching out from the entrance to their new holiday home.

“I don’t want to go back,” Sarah’s voice pierced the darkness softly, “no, I don’t mean that...” She corrected. “What I mean is that I don’t want to go away again, leave you here alone on Earth without me.” Sarah hung her head, nudging Jo gently.

“You’ve left me before, Sar’” Jo couldn’t help but smile, her soft lips raising under the cloak of her hooded jumper, Jo hooked Sarah’s arm and pulled her close, wrapping their arms together, sharing warmth in the cold night. In the distance Jo could hear the water tumbling down from the waterfall, the spray from the ground rising up and creating a cloud that would inevitably shield the morning sunlight as it tried to break through in the next few hours.

“Yeah, I know, but...” Sarah looked downwards; subconsciously she had been spinning the newly adorned ring on her left hand, a wave of pride washed over her as she sighed, still trying to find the words. “... Not like this, Jo.”

“You’re a Starfleet Officer!” Jo raised her voice, standing and stepping in front of the steps, stoking the fire with a few small logs that were gathered to her left. “A marine, Sarah,” Jo continued while continuing adding more fuel to the dyeing fire. “What you are doing is important, your crew needs you and, from what you’ve told me, the work you have been doing is something of great importance, right?”

Sarah nodded, she had, of course, kept the exact details of her last mission to herself, hearing about how Sarah had been in a battle and had heard the death and kidnapping of several high ranked officials first hand wouldn’t have gone down well, Jo already worried enough when Sarah was away, every bit of news would flow through their San Francisco apartment at lightning speed. “It is, Jo,” Sarah looked up for the first time, trying to avoid those blue eyes that had first drawn her across the room towards Jo on that night they had first met, Jo had been able to see right through Sarah since that day. “I couldn’t ever tell you how important,” Sarah wore the pain and fear on her face, “but what will you do? I can’t have you worrying about me every day while I am out there fighting who knows what...”

“Sar’,” Jo looked deep in to Sarah’s deep brown eyes, “I worry about you when you head to the gym,” Jo approached Sarah, standing at the foot of the porch she scooped up her partners cold hands. “I worry when you go to the shops,” Jo lowered herself, pressed her head on Sarah’s exposed forehead and a warming smile began to raise on her face. “I love you, I am going to worry whatever you choose to do with your life, that’s what love is, right?”

“But..?” Sarah sensed something else in Jo’s voice, she raised her head to push against Jo, feeling the hot breath wash over her as Jo continued.

“But I don’t think you would ever be truly happy doing anything else,” Jo stood once again, backed up and kept hold of Sarah’s hands, dragging her up to her feet to match Jo’s height. The contrast of hair colour mixed as the two women held each other, the flame engulfing them in a glow as the warm surrounded them. “You’re a marine, Sarah; you don’t know how to be anything else.”

“I could teach, like you?” Sarah asked her head now rested on Jo’s shoulder, the easing of her burden was apparent as the young marine’s heart slowed, her breath steadied and her hands stayed strong as she held tightly around Jo’s back.

“You want to teach high school kids?” Jo joked, a laugh escaping her pink lips. “I’m sure there was a film about that once, you know, a marine going to teach school kids.” Jo shook her head. “Didn’t end well from what I remember.”

“No,” Sarah smiled as Jo laughed, the chuckle sent a twinge down Sarah’s back as she remembered the vows they had both sworn only days ago. “Not high school, I was thinking Starfleet Academy,” Sarah moved her head back, now looking for a real reaction to her suggestion. “They always keep a Marine liaison at the Academy and I heard they were looking for someone recently,” Sarah paused, “No danger there, acting as a guidance counsellor to those youngsters who want to make a difference, want to do the best they can, you know?” Jo knew, it was the exact reason she had decided to work in a high school and she couldn’t help but admire Sarah’s decision.

“But would you be happy to be stuck here on Earth for the foreseeable future?”

Sarah sighed, tucking her head down on to Jo’s shoulder, now holding her tighter than she ever had before. “I just don’t know...”
FSF Bourne

"Chance favors the prepared Mind" ~ Louis Pasteur
FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby sail3695 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:49 pm

OFF: My apologies for the pat couple of days. Work was murder.

ON:
The transfer to E.S McKinley had gone without incident. Eternity, now resplendent in her new hull plating, had made a fine sight as she'd departed Utopia Planitia yards to exchange the dull red of Mars for the crystal blue seas and swirling white cloudscapes of Earth. Dr. Lydon's team, as well as Eternity's own engineers, had set immediately to the work of installing and upgrading the ship's most sensitive and militarily secured systems.

<Tag Crawford, Etal, Orlan, Sorveck>

At this point, Lt Cdr. Byrne had granted shore leave to many of his officers. Among those away from the ship were Dr. Cavenaugh, Lt. Jamieson, Ens. Okimbo, and in particular, Yeoman Bree. As he faced the nearly double workload of administrative functions which presented to both a captain and a first officer, Colin found himself missing the young woman who'd tied it all together so nicely for Jim Maxwell. "Might do me well to chose an acting First," he thought, as alone in the ready room, he struggled through his latest battle.

The hours passed with mind numbing slowness. It was finally the growling of his stomach that forced him from his concentration upon the latest requisition order from Engineering. "By god, 2200 hours," he mused in silence as he tossed a stray thought toward his supper. Having settled for a fish sandwich and salad, he worked over the repast as he reviewed the personnel files for several of his pending new arrivals.

"Yahan Zazi, Ensign," Byrne read aloud. "Female, 28, Bajoran. Security Officer. Oh god, not more intel aboard the ship...." Having become convinced that he was the only one of Eternity's crew with no connection whatsoever to Intel, Colin chided himself for his prejudices as he selected the next file.
<Tag Yahan>

"Winters, Julia, Lieutenant. Female, 29. Toronto, Ontario. Chief of Security."
<Tag Winters>

"Motzi, Jasper, Ensign. Male, 36. Rather old for an Ensign," he thought, before the voice within replied "Rather old for a Lieutenant Commander..." Having lost another round to his conscience, Byrne continued.
"New York City, New York."
<Tag Motzi>

According to the transfer record, all should be reporting aboard tomorrow. He'd take the opportunity to meet each. As two of them would have regular involvement with his senior officers, the LtCdr made a note to ask for the doctor's permission to invite them to the more informal setting of the villa on Curacao, a rare opportunity for the crew to meld before taking their positions aboard ship. After a review of his heavy schedule for the next day, Colin opened three appointments for his newest officers, before moving on to draft a message to both new and current crew alike:

Re: Shore Leave, Curacao

At the kind offer of our doctor, the officers are all invited to spend the coming weekend at the Cavenaugh family villa, located on Jan Thiel Bay, Salina, Curacao. Though not an order, it would be very much appreciated if all who receive this would at the very least attend supper and a small ceremony to take place on Friday at 1900 hours. Spouses or significant others are encouraged to join in. I'll look forward to seeing all of you there, along with your loved ones.

Byrne, Colin, Lt. Cdr
Interim Captain, U.S.S. Eternity

<Open Tag>

"That's enough for one night," he thought while rising from the desk. Tapping his commbadge, Colin called upon his best friend. "Byrne to Marquez."

"Marquez here."

"Do you feel like running tonight?" he asked.
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby baruc » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:27 pm

John had been moving non stop everysince the ship at arrived at earth. he ate, slept and worked in engineering. he may have visited him family once or twice but after the inital jag interview he been working non stop. Mostly undoing changes made by that blasted lydon. The fights they had over changes made and the ones he wanted. if it wasnt or task force 83' Admiral john would have toss that lydon out an air lock.

John was givin a special project he had total control , he reported to no one but the admiral himself. he even had a very well armed security team guarding him and the project while he worked on it. There was two other people on the project. A Simon fostor, starfleets top computer and tactical engineer, and Franklin Wade another high class engineering designer fresh from the academy and already had a rank higher then me.

Day after day the three would work, the USS Eternity was docked at Mckinely and the final stages was now placed in effect. first order of business they brought it online, and once everything power up they ran simulation drills after simulation drills... it seem to work.

pop..... the cork from the champange bottle flew accross the room as the team cheered and help up glasses... crawford sat back in the command chair "this is nice, cant wait to show the CO", John mutterd he sipped his glass. Wade turned to him, now is as good as time as any"..

"your right" , "Commander Byrne please report to Deck 10, Section 43alpha

<tag Byrne>

OOC note: when you arrive you will come to a set of sealed blast doors with two guards. on side wall is a computer panel which will ask you for your clearance codes
Lt(Jg) Alex Chen - Chief Science Officer - USS Endevour
lt (jg) Jason Wayne Bryant - Cops - USS Endevour
Ens. Gavin - Engineer - USS Cadecus
PFC Yates - Pararescue - USS Cadecus
1st Lt. Xabier Frost - Marine - Epslion Station
Ens. Victor Creed - Engineer - ISS Tyranny
baruc

Postby sail3695 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:54 pm

"Do you feel like running tonight?" he asked.

"Honestly, I'm wiped out," came Marisol's reply. "I'm sitting in a bath right now, with bed in just a few minutes. Sorry."

"Not a problem," Colin replied. "Are you ready for a few days in Curacao?"

"Am I?" she asked. "Absolutely. I've looked the place over. It's beautiful! A couple of days with my toes in the sand is just what the doctor ordered."

"Indeed she did. Good night, Marisol. I'll see you there." He closed the comm link, his hand seeking out and massaging the muscles at the base of his neck as he made his way out of the ready room. The bridge was dark, with the exception of a single overhead light that shone down upon the command chair.

Byrne paused, taking in the sight of the empty chair. "In and of itself, a simple piece of furniture," he thought, "just a chair." Yet, from that chair, both Commander Maxwell and his First Officer had been called upon to make decisions, the ramifications of which even now were not clearly understood. Jim had been forcibly removed from that chair, while to his own disbelief, Colin had been ushered into it. If Andrea was correct, he'd be occupying it for some time to come, another inconceivable thought. The political machinations of StarFleet had obviously been kicked into high gear at the public release of the "Nero" recording. Accounts of the battle which followed, though edited for public release, and the Klingon proclamations which had next issued, must've been the catalyst for the decision which had thrust him from his holding cell and back into that very chair. "Lunacy, utter lunacy," he thought, shaking his head as he turned toward the turbolift. "We've got a ship full of bloody intel, with more on the way, and even all of those eyes and ears couldn't protect one of their own, if indeed Jim was."

"Deck 3," he said, scowling as the door slid shut before him. He had no clue as to where his captain was, nor any idea as to how best to find out. "A ship full of bloody intel..." At that, the seed of an idea began to grow. He'd need some research time, and the help of someone who might have a higher level clearance, but the effort might yield a trail of crumbs for him to follow. Colin entered his quarters, making his way directly for the new TCARS terminal that had been installed. "Initiate Communications Stream, Commander Andrea Morgan," he ordered.

A moment later, the StarFleet crest disappeared, replaced by the image of the auburn haired commander as she struggled into a robe. "Morgan here," she responded. "Colin? Isn't it a bit late for you? Or are you fishing for an invitation?" she asked with a wry smile.

"Sorry to disturb, Andrea," he said. "I was wondering if Admiral Graham and yourself might be available for the lunch we discussed?"

"Afraid not," she shrugged. "The Admiral is pulling a 4 day weekend in the home country. There's a family reunion. She did mention wanting to get together with you next week..."

"Hmm," Colin thought, before turning again to face the woman on his screen. "Andrea, would you care to join me for breakfast? Somewhere away from StarFleet property?"

"The St. Francis Hotel has a nice breakfast," she replied. "It's pricey."

"That's fine," he said. "Would 0800 be acceptable?"

"Could we make it 0700?" she asked. "My schedule is full tomorrow."

"Even better. See you tomorrow, then."

"Goodnight, Colin," Andrea smiled, before the image went black.

"2235," Colin said aloud, stifling a yawn. He'd just begun to remove his uniform, when his commbadge chirped again. "Commander Byrne, please report to Deck 10, Section 43 Alpha." Lt. Crawford's voice carried an edge to it. "Oh god," he thought as he reset his uniform, "it's finally happened. Crawford has killed Dr. Lydon." He tapped his commbadge to respond. "On my way." As he moved, Colin amused himself with thoughts concerning disposal of the body.

Section 43 Alpha was positioned well aft on Deck 10, toward the end of a narrow corridor which sealed shut in the unlikely event of saucer separation. This area primarily supported upper duterium storage, as well as some aft crew quarters which had been built into the unoccupied space, but no more. As Lt.Cdr. Byrne moved along the corridor, he now caught sight of 2 armed guards standing before a very heavy looking door. "Good evening, crewman Reynolds," he said, offering a pleasant smile toward the tall, powerfully built guard who'd once stood outside his quarters on Starbase 83. "Dennis," he grinned, switching his attention to his friend and teammate, crewman Dennis Biggs.
"So, what sort of thing is being hidden inside that blast door?"

"They're callin' it TCC, sir" Biggs replied in his heavy East End cockney.

"TCC," Byrne mused, his expression thoughtful as he gazed upon the heavy construction, eventually settling upon the security access panel.

"Standard Security code, sir," Reynolds said. "And a retina scan."

"Oh, very well," Byrne replied. A moment later, the massive door rolled open, admitting Colin to a large space, ringed by operating consoles. Holo emitters dotted the ceiling. In the center, he took note of a large, low table of sorts, it's polished surface giving the impression that it functioned as a sort of display device. And there, sitting in a chair upon a raised dais, was Lt. John Crawford, drinking champagne with 2 other people Colin had never seen before.

"Gentlemen," he said, "unless you're christening a new lounge, I do believe that Deck 9 aft is where those drinks belong. Mr. Crawford, what am I looking at?" he asked as his gaze swept the compartment.

<Tag Crawford>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby baruc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:08 am

john stood quickly "officer on the deck" once Bryne released them john poure the commander a glass and handed it over.

"welcome to the tactical commander center of the eternity. Even out numbered and out gunned this baby is gonna bite back and bite hard."

"allow me to give you a brief tour" he motioned for him to walk with him

here we have.

quite a few state of the art computer equipment, the TCC has several direct lines to weapons, sensors, comms, and other vital ship systems. The TCC can serve multiple roles, from mission strategic operations, to a battle coordination center in fleet engagements. The TCC offers up to the minute updates in information, and provides the best location for large combat engagements.

It has access to almost all systems aboard the starship, and manages repairs, power flow, and general maintenance.

Entrance to TCC can be closed for internal or external security reasons, as well as in case of emergencies. Just inside of the doors is a floor-mounted situational display similar to the Master Systems Display found on the Bridge. Affectionately referred to as the ‘pool table’, the tactical officer can use the display to more easily get a broad view of the situation with just a glance.

Directly behind you is the MSD and the warp core and main control systems. Usable consoles are mounted on every piece of ‘real estate’ around the circumference of the room and provide primary control access. Additionally, there are numerous ladders and access panels to Jefferies tubes, leading throughout the starship.

"computer activate the emergency hologram program" a blue shimmer and the doctor would appear and then an hologram of an tactical officer. "in case of emergencies this room has an emh and eth"

"now over here to weapons: the phaser banks have been upgraded to 16 Type XVI Phaser arrays, 2 more forward torpedo launchers was added bringing us to 6 Mark VI Rapid Fire Torpedo Launchers (4 fore, 2 aft), 2 Rapid Fire Mark IV Quantum Bolt Cannon (think defiant), and last but not least is the Mark V Mine Launcher (Mine launchers drop a series of automatic mines. When a hostile target gets close, the mines will activate and chase the target before detonating)

"The last Item of the TCC is the third computer core of the TCARS system. if all systems are offline the TCC computer systems will fuction. As all systems in TCC are self contained and power from a secondary power source when the warp corp is offline."

"so what you think?...i really hate being towed home you know" he sipped on his glass
baruc

Postby sail3695 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:36 am

"I think," Byrne said quietly, "that perhaps I've failed to make myself clear. The champagne leaves now, lieutenant." With that, he turned away, moving slowly about the compartment, reviewing each console as the sound of glasses clinking their way into the recycler greeted his ears. A moment later, Crawford had returned.

"So, what you think?"

"Oh, it's all very eye catching," the Lt Cdr nodded. "I do have a few questions." As he walked slowly about the new, and obviously expensive, compartment, Byrne casually made his interrogatories, one by one.

"Does this replace the perfectly usable battle bridge on deck 18?"

"Is the intent of this compartment primarily to serve the ship as CIC did on warships of old, or do we look upon this as a sort of "Admiral's bridge" in the event we're hosting one?"

"Who mans this? Do I pull officers from the bridge?"

"Explain the difference of the Mark XVI phasers vs. the Mark XII we'd previously used."

"This quantum bolt cannon. Please discuss the range and power of the weapon. Forward facing, I assume?"

"This room is quite the nerve center. What happens to the ship when this is all destroyed by a direct hit?"

"What, precisely, is the secondary power source you've alluded to?"

"As our chief Ops officer has a passion for power routing and distribution, might one assume that all of our conduits have been upgraded to handle the enhanced loads?"

"For all the lovely talk of our offensive capabilities, I haven't heard "word one" concerning our defenses. Sensors have been an utter failure thus far. What have you done to remedy that?"

"Shields. I'll remind you that, in both engagements, we faced weapons which cut directly through them, resulting in our "being towed home." Please explain how you've corrected that."

"Now," Byrne concluded, turning to face Crawford and his two unintroduced associates, "I should like a demonstration. Power all of this up. Let's run a combat simulation. Our last engagement shall do nicely."

<Tag Crawford>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby baruc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:22 pm

"Does this replace the perfectly usable battle bridge on deck 18?" well sir this isnt a bridge persay its a tactical command center, it does have the ability to fly the ship. The battle bridge is use during saucer seperation correct?

"Is the intent of this compartment primarily to serve the ship as CIC did on warships of old, or do we look upon this as a sort of "Admiral's bridge" in the event we're hosting one?" correct sir

"Who mans this? Do I pull officers from the bridge?" that would be your choice sir.

"Explain the difference of the Mark XVI phasers vs. the Mark XII we'd previously used." the mark XVI phaser deal more damage per terawatt, all the grids and emitters have been upgraded to handle it.

"This quantum bolt cannon. Please discuss the range and power of the weapon. Forward facing, I assume?" well range and power is the closer the better. as the further it gets away from the ship the weaker it becomes. optimal range is about 12km or so.

"This room is quite the nerve center. What happens to the ship when this is all destroyed by a direct hit?" thats the whole point of this room it cant be destroyed by a direct hit..you have to destroy this ship around it before this room would be stroyed. It is surrounded by a layer of one meter thick generation 1 ablative armor.

"What, precisely, is the secondary power source you've alluded to?" since Dr lyndon upgrade the warp corp, it has a secondary power feature where if the anti/matter system goes offline, we can still use the warp corp to power other things by switching to plasma.

"As our chief Ops officer has a passion for power routing and distribution, might one assume that all of our conduits have been upgraded to handle the enhanced loads?" yes all the conduits where increased flow have been upgraded.

"For all the lovely talk of our offensive capabilities, I haven't heard "word one" concerning our defenses. Sensors have been an utter failure thus far. What have you done to remedy that?" at this point John was becoming agatated, what did he think John as a fool and just upgrade one and not the other. He took a deep breath. "our defensive upgrades are as follow Mark VI Ablative Armor Mesh- 1 Meter Thick and an Mark VI MLSS (Multi-Layered Shield System) Multi-Adaptive/Regenerative Hull Conforming Shields. We can take three or four hits from those missles. The sensors... we was using 50 independent tactical clusters I increased them to 75. Commander Wade" he made a head notion to. "is from star fleet hq and been working on these systems. we are still unable to detect the new cloak untill after the inital attack then we stay locked.

"Shields. I'll remind you that, in both engagements, we faced weapons which cut directly through them, resulting in our "being towed home." Please explain how you've corrected that." the MLSS reduces the damage taken when each shield is pentrated. when one layer is penetrated the computer adapts to prevent the next layer while reducing the damage taken from the previous one. If all the layers are penetrated then the ablative armor absorbs the hit.

"Now," Byrne concluded, turning to face Crawford and his two unintroduced associates, "I should like a demonstration. Power all of this up. Let's run a combat simulation. Our last engagement shall do nicely." "Computer tactical simulation nero 5"

The system powered up and the pool table brought up the 3d images of the fight "Commander Byrne has the ball, from this moment , only your voice will be heard on the bridge just like your there."

the ship made quick work of one of the D7's once it opened fire. the klingons now focused all there firepower on the Eternity allowing the allied klingon ships to take out another D7. The Eternity started taking damage to its main systems. the shield systems stopped 4 missles before the fifth ripped into the saucer section. the klingons targeted the warp nacelles again, but the reinforced struts combine with the ablative armor allow prevented them from taking major damage.

"Dont worry Commnander Byrne the nanites are and have no effect on the ship. The mlss shields are gamma based and nulifed any nanites with 100 yards"

<tag Byrne>
baruc

Postby sail3695 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:20 am

He watched the battle as displayed in the 3D hologram environment atop the "pool table." The ftifth multiphasic missile pierced the shielding, crashing into the saucer.

"Dont worry Commnander Byrne, the nanites are and have no effect on the ship. The mlss shields are gamma based and nulifed any nanites with 100 yards" Crawford said.

"Which, assuming that our enemies are learning from their failures, would mean they'll happily shift to high yield explosives," Colin replied, his attention focused upon the damage. "Computer, pause simulation and reset to time reference 15:21:07:18." Instantaneously, the images shifted to earlier positions in their motion arcs. The 4th missile was frozen in mid explosion against Eternity's shielding. Homing in a few kilometers in it's wake was the 5th.

"Magnify image, USS Eternity," Byrne ordered. Turning toward Crawford, he asked, "Mr. Crawford, would you point out the locations of the additional phaser arrays?"

<Tag Crawford>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby Sorveck » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:06 am

Lt Sorveck
CSCI, USS Eternity,
Earth, SFM

Sorveck sat in the dismal examination room. He looked around and couldn't help but smile. It took him back to the first meeting they shared in the sickbay of the Vastitude. It was his unique genetic make-up that intrigued her, and her complete lack of Vulcan mannerisms that attracted him. As he sat in Ujal's office, he reminicesed about their short time together.

"Lost in thought Lt?" A familiar voice asked.

Sorveck's head snapped towards it, revealing the familiar blue face of his handler. "That I was Doctor, reflecting back on more enjoyable times."

"Quite unsettling, seeing a Vulcan smile, almost as unnerving as seeing a Klingon smile." Ujal smiled and pulled a little black box out of his lab coat, pressed a few buttons and then set it on the counter. "Little toy we picked up from our Ferengi friends. It's safe to speak openly now."

" Very well, explain this Ujal. It is highly irregular."

"A few things we need to discuss after your last report, just to see if your story stays the same."

"Ujal, I sent you an audio file from teh bridge, as well as my analysis of the Followers of Nero ships. Both my official, and more in depth one. What more is there to discuss?"

"We, by which I mean the collective "we" not me personally, were quite upset that these reports too so long to reach us. Why were they not uploaded following your rescue by the Task Fleet?"

"Finding a secure connection was the problem, transmitting top secret information through contested space was not ideal. My apologies, perhaps I should have made taken that risk. I am sure the Klingons would have loved to have that information."

Ujal smiled, "I'll report this to the commitee, I'm sure they'll see your reasoning was sound."

"Come now Ujal, this could not be the only reason you had me come down here. This could have all been discussed over the com channels."

Ujal nodded, " That it could've, Lt. But after our analysis of your audio files, we've begun to become suspicious of your ship. It seems we weren't the only ones to assign personnell to your ship."

"You are speaking of Commander Maxwell?"

"Among others. But Maxwell is our main concern. He's not one of ours and he wasn't assigned by SFI. He was attached to them for awhile but, that was being on Loan form SFMC."

"So am I to assume that my new assignment is to investigate my commanding officer?"

"Precisely, concurrent with your other duties as well. You are not to blow cover on this Sorveck. We don't know who he's working forand we can't be exposed, the fewer who know about us the better."

Sorveck nodded, "With this new development, it is only reasonable to conceal my identity from him. This will be the only time I will lie to my CO. Anything else Ujal?"

"Yes, Intelligence as manuerved one of their own onto the Eternity. Keep an eye on her, review her work. We don't want her to interfere in our operations."

"Did you dig anything up on her Ujal, a weakness worth exploiting?"

"Typical spook, Bajoran freedom fighter, went off the grid for two years, Intelligence denies her involvement with them."

"Understood. Will that be all?"

"Nothing unofficially official, but on a personal note, why the MD Sorveck? Branching out?"

"No," Sorveck eyes drifted into the distance, " it is in regards to a promise I made, to never forget her. I will be a non-practicing physician."

Ujal nodded, "Sorveck she would be proud that you rejoined Starfleet, probably not Section 31, but definitely Starfleet."

Sorveck laughed, something he did very rarely, "So you know I told her? You are correct, she would not be proud. Although stories of my escapades regaled her in her final days."

Ujal smiled, he reched into his pocket and pulled out another device, the same as the earlier one, "Take this, it will create a sensor feedback loop once activated, as well as deactivate any audio or video recording devices in th vacenity." He handed it to Sorveck, "The destruct command is B7G. Input it if you feel compromised. "

Sorveck nodded, "Thank you Ujal." He placed the object in his trouser pocket, "ONe more thing Ujal, we are not in bed with these rogue Romulans are we?"

Ujal shook his head. "Sorveck our task is to protect the Federation from all threats. We are most definitely not in bed with The Followers of Nero. He pressed a few more buttons on his device. "Well Lt, it seems as if you are fit for duty. My apologies for my delays, you are free to leave. "

Ujal nodded as he left. Sorveck stood and took in his appearance in the mirror. He shook his head, Anial would definitely not be proud. He began walking out of SFM with his mind wandering back to happier days.
Sorveck
FSF Host (Retired)

Next

Return to In-Character Roleplay