S01E02 "The Klingon Resolve"

Where the crew of the Star Trek: Entity sim come to post their in-character posts.

S01E02 "The Klingon Resolve"

Postby The Writer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:14 am

Season 1
A year later after the Hobus Star is quelled from going nova by Ambassador Spock. In the year 2388, the Romulan Star Empire is no more. Efforts are being laid to give aid to the survivors of the devastation by the Federation despite the tension growing between themselves and the Klingon Empire who is held bent on laying stake to the now uncharted region of space: Section 84, “The Fringe.” Within the watchful eye of Ambassador Jean-Luc Picard, the U.S.S. Eternity, a Sovereign Class Vessel, commanded by James Maxwell becomes one of three vessels charged with exploration and policing of the Fringe along with the Enterprise-E and the Lunar Class Vessel, Titan; returning friends unite against the last remnants of Romulus, the, “Followers of Nero,” as the countdown ends.

Episode 2 "The Klingon Resolve"
<<Beginning October 11, 2010>>

Additional ships have joined Task Force 84, now with the Fringe mapped and the hostile notions presented during the incident in the, now classified, Ildius System, Starfleet has begun policing the area surrounding with many conflicting resolutions between themselves and patrolling Klingon ships. Sector 27 of the system, Ildius 3, is under resolution for Federation efforts into colonization.

Meanwhile, tensions grow higher between Starfleet and the Klingon Empire, the blame of who fired first still in the air considering the Eternity's computer records of the battle at Ildius 3 were wiped clean during the alleged attack. The Eternity and her crew have been confined on Starbase 83 for nearly a month as suspect still ensues that the Eternity is a rogue Federation vessel that struck first at the Klingons on Ildius 3.

Still, deep within the far reaches of the Fringe, the real enemy stirs for they have a purpose and a plan.
~Gabriel "The Writer" Logan
The Writer
Post Guru

Prologue

Postby The Writer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Prologue
The Remnants and the Followers
By Gabriel "The Writer" Logan

The grand hall was dark, the ceiling vaulted, the only light illumination was at the front forward in the landing that led to steps that led to a smaller stage of a throne that shelled in complete darkness. Surrounding the grand hall were alcoves, each manned by an officer who stared out at blue illuminated holo displays that seemed to float and react to their touch.

Among the chirps and the beeps, upon the front landing stood a dark figure robed in a long shimmered cloak that held towards the armor spading plates on his left and right shoulder. The cloak opened like a cape, revealing the skin tight uniform of which whose details could faintly be made. He stood with his back to the person on the throne beyond the steps, beyond the dark, sighting with dark eyes at the Romulan Captain that swiftly approached him before bowing his head, taking to one knee.

"General," he spilled, "the Federation have seized control of the airspace of Thralcor. We tried to make them leave, tried to force them, just when were to have the upper hand, they dwindled our numbers, destroyed one of our ships. We had no other course but to withdrawal...,"

To that the General's ferocity sprawled, his fist taking a backhand towards the Romulan Captain's right side, sending the officer to crash into one of the alcoves only to swiftly be taken with inhuman strength from the alcove and up off his feet like some child as the General continued.

"You finish what you start Captain, even if it means your death," he threw the Romulan to the floor, causing the officer to slightly skid to a close. The Romulan quickly covered his face and curled into a ball just as the General was soon to bring the final hammer down, pulling out a ceremonial knife. His actions were stopped just in time as the individual on the throne suddenly got to his feet, sending up a swift arm before shouting: "HOLD!" A voice guile yet swift flooding the room allowing the General time to sheath his blade and turn around.

The sounds of boot falls echoed the grand hall as the man walked down the stairs to the landing, finding the light illumination as he took to a stand. He was Reman, young, his head shaved, eyes burning fire of hot coals that were as dark as the tattoos that riddled his head and face. He looked at both the General and Captain with malice in his eyes, yet still that calm quell that seemed to haunt his every demeanor. In his right hand he carried a spiked staff, the pointed jutters accentuating the sharp of his knifed ears. He spoke.

"Did you erase yourself from their records?"

To this the Captain, still in awe by the Reman's form pulled to a stand, swiping the blood that had pulled on the side of his face. "Yes," he stated in a stammer.

"Excellent," the Reman played in a smile, revealing his row of teeth that had been filed down to fangs. "Give General Milek your report ready for the next phase."

"Yes sir," the Captain stated pushing away and disappearing into the darkness below.

The General turned after taking the Captain's report, sighting the holodisk that he turned to show the Reman. "Premature," he stated as he handed the glowing sphere to the Reman.

"Perhaps," the Reman called taking the sphere, twisting his hand upon it to activate it in a brilliance of green brushed light that momentarily dazed before coming to a projected display of what the D7 ship saw. In the view a single Sovereign held.

"However fortune favors the bold," the Reman concluded with a smile, "we should thank the crew of the Eternity for that fortune...,"
The Writer
Post Guru

Re: S01E02 "The Klingon Resolve"

Postby The Writer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:54 pm

Commander James Maxwell
Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Eternity

ON:
"Commanding Officer's log. Stardate 66384.83. The Eternity still holds quiet beyond my viewport within the cell, or, quarters that I have been confined to. Starbase 83 has become a prison to my crew and I; though, afforded the luxuries associated with life aboard a Starbase, I feel the men and women under my care growing restless; wondering as I, whether the accusations of our misdeeds of launching this conflict with the Klingons is being catered to being considered truth by Starfleet regardless of the lacking evidence there in.'

'I itch to go out there, to see for myself if I can bring back evidence that contradicts these false claims. During the attack, and what my First Officer and I still proclaim at questioning during our court hearings, that the records of the Eternity gathered during the battle were missing with the destruction of the ship's primary computer core. However, evidence, though circumstantial, presented from the Fang's records still brings questions of uncertainty to the table. The tactical report made by Lieutenant John Crawford, though fascinating and riddling with attributes that could slam the claim that the Klingon’s were in fact Romulan if it hadn't been for this report and the debris collected, Lieutenant Commander Byrne and I might be in prison instead of being confined to quarters while the rest of the crew confined to the base and its facilities.'

'Still, as I am confined, I do here word on things from the outside. Additional ships are joining Task Force 83. Ambassador Picard’s charge of the operations in this sector has been absconded. In his place a familiar face. I haven’t spoken with Julia since the Dominion War, obviously as a Fleet Commander now, she has certainly brought up the ranks on me. A conflict of interests has been bellowed by the Ambassador on her previous relations to me, but as I am no longer charged with anything to do with the sector, considered a rogue in the eyes of the Federation, that notion was thrown out the airlock.'

‘I further believe that this is a play. The Eternity and her crew have been marked as criminals, blatantly, and I can’t help but feel that we are being treated as the guilty just so the Federation can get a foothold in the Ildius System. It would almost be poetic if that accusation were true, considering my Military background and my First Officer’s shadowed past and incarceration. I can’t help but feel, as many others would in my position, that the Eternity and crew are being used; though, I do not know if the rest of my crew feels this way.

'Commander James Maxwell. Commanding Officer. U.S.S. Eternity."

<<Tag Crew>>

Commander James Maxwell sat down the log book before leaning back in his chair to take another drink of the 20 year old scotch he had been hiding in his belongings. It came at an opportune time to have a drink, and when the Eternity was put on the shelf, her crew taken off duty pending futher investigation into the situation concerning the now, official, Ildius System, as an afterthought, Jim remembered his parting gift from his previous Commanding Officer.

He leaned his head back after taking in the scotch, pulling his mind back over the thoughts that were clearly displayed in his log report that he was being forced to make despite not having a ship at the moment. The Commander couldn’t shake it, he knew that foul play was involved, no longer bending hope that it was sheer paranoia. The Eternity and crew were officially to blame with the situation currently with the Klingons, that simple display was bending hope towards them that, yes, we know the Eternity is rogue and we are keeping them in jail at the moment. Please Klingon friends, lets make peace, not war, but be prepared that we are not going to give you the Ildius System…,

It sickened Jim to think of the Federation this way, made him continue to dwell that the Federation knew of the existence of the Ildius System, moreover, had the Commander move into the system towards this knowledge, knowing how the situation would play out. That single notion was reverberated truth as he continued to drink, noting that that sector during the mapping of the Fringe was placed on the Eternity at the last minute by Picard. The whole thing stank.

Just at the final thought, the Commander’s door chime sounded knocking him out of his thoughts like a waking child. “Come in,” he stated before pulling again on the scotch, finishing the glass. He looked over at the open door, finding with shock to the form that stood in the frame. “Ambassador,” the Commander stated in shock, “you’re the last person I’d expect to see.” Jim got up from his seat, dovetailing the Ambassador with a motion to have a seat in one of the associated loungers. “Can I get you a drink?” He held up the bottle that still was halfway full, “scotch?”

The Ambassador nodded and Commander Maxwell poured the former Enterprise Captain a glass before pouring himself on, setting the bottle down on the coffee table and sitting down across from the Ambassador, following the aged man’s form in drinking a single gulp of the brew. He watched as Picard winced at the burn, sighting a smile before setting his glass down. “Terribly sorry about this Commander Maxwell,” he stated in a cough, “I hadn’t counted on the situation to grow so out of hand.”

“I bet Ambassador. Pray forgive me if I don’t share your proclivities in this matter.”

To that a strange look followed through as Picard took a look at Jim with question in his eyes. “What do you mean Commander?”

“Taking what I know to be true Ambassador,” Maxwell began pulling one more from the glass before pouring another into both glasses,” you sent the Eternity into the sector that you knew to be alive with protomatter, one can guess that you knew a bit more than you initially stated. With the mannerism you gave those orders to me kind of alludes that you were giving orders you rightly didn’t want to do.” He took a drink, not knowing if this move of questioning would go over smoothly with a seasoned negotiator such as Picard was. As he bit back the burn he continued. “Further,” he stated, “I can only come to the conclusion that you knew of the Ildius System, and, were given strict orders to send me, a Marine Commander, and my First Officer, a known Starfleet criminal who served an amble amount of time incarcerated knowing what was to happen and that this whole situation growing, out of hand, as you put it is just another link in a long chain of outcomes that hold the Federation to have precedence in the Ildius System.”

Silence fell for what seemed lifetimes before Ambassador Picard picked up the freshly poured scotch, gulping it in one slam before taking stand towards the Commander’s viewport, looking out at the Eternity that still held still in the docking bay of Starbase 83.

“You are not wrong,” he stated solemnly,

Again silence played before Commander Maxwell concluded: “So what now Ambassador, now that our cards are on the table?”

“Commander I’ve been with the Federation a very long time. I’ve seen a great deal, served, as I hope to be considered, honorably in its service. But I’ve seen its darker side, perhaps, some would argue, why I let go of Captain status of the Enterprise. I’ve seen how the Federation’s greed bends them into beasts. I’ve seen it with the Ba’Ku and I see it now in the Ildius System.” He turned back towards the Commander, a smile on his face before he took seat behind the Commanders desk, taking it as a seasoned Captain would behind a Ready Room desk. “Sometimes I feel I should have stayed on the family vineyard.”

Commander Maxwell took to a stand, pouring another round, setting Picard’s glass down on the glass desk before taking a seat on the opposite side taking a sip. Picard did the same before continuing. “My contacts in the Klingon Empire know of a rogue faction of Klingon Officers, nothing to note trouble about until recently. Klingon ships have been attacked, some destroyed, and although the evidence points at the Federation, my contacts say it is the work of this faction. Some words have been spoken in the Empire of this faction allying themselves with a Romulan group…,”

“…, Lieutenant Crawford, in his tactical report, stated that the Klingon energy signatures was more leaning to Romulan than Klingon…,”

“…, that would match the claims made by my contacts then,” Picard finished as he pulled on his glass. He bit back, putting the glass down shaking his head. “I feel it’s the work of the same faction.”

“…, that now has now garnered a Federation alliance…,”

Picard nodded.
“So why me Ambassador, why not Captain Riker or Captain Data; you three obviously have a better relation?”

“Don’t think they are not helping in this Commander,” Picard suggested with a smile, “your, ‘old flame,’ has them busy with efforts in colonizing Ildius 3, but do not think they are not in our pocket.”

“…, then why me Ambassador?”

“Man of action Commander, you take the hands on approach, even if it is against regulations, and given the roles reversed, I would want to have those answers too.”

Silence again stilled the room before Jim asked: “I assume you have a plan.”

“I’ve pulled some strings,” Picard stated, “Diana Riker and I will join you and your crew to the Klingon system of Cha-Dan. There we will meet with General Worf and his fleet and meeting in council with Chancellor Kronatc, who has a heavy influence in the Empire. He’s agreed to talk with me and Diana to bring evidence to the table that will point out Federation officials allied with this Klingon sect.”

“So the Eternity and her crew have a reprieve?”

Picard stood at this taking to walk towards the door. “Not entirely Commander. Your ship and crew are still confined to the Starbase; however, I would expect should Lieutenant Riker and I find ourselves at the docking port to the Eternity, you would find some means of getting the ship underway. Judging that Fleet Commander Passing and the rest of Task Force 83 are busy with their endeavors of colonizing Ildius 3, getting out of Starbase 83 shouldn’t be too much of a worry for you.”

Jim said nothing to this, finding the Ambassador walking towards the door, the opening flooding light from the corridor into the Commander’s quarters.

“Oh, Commander,” Picard stated, his voice projecting so that the two guards outside could hear, “I’m going to debrief Lieutenant Commander Byrne, updates, such as I’ve said to you. Would you like me to relay a message to him?”

“Yes Ambassador,” Jim played with a smile. “Tell First Officer Byrne that I look forward to our run this evening. Same time same place.”

Picard nodded.

Commander Maxwell was sitting on the workbench, lacing his running shoes lose. His eyes staring out at the entrance way, his sight landing on the doorway and the two guards that held firm in watch of the Commander. Soon Byrne would enter those doors as he had for the past 2 weeks, ready for a run. He wondered as to what Picard informed him of, moreover, how they were going to get the Eternity and its crew off the base.

<<Tag Byrne>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:27 pm

Lt. Commander Colin Byrne
First Officer, U.S.S. Eternity

He knew the music well.

Questions asked, questions answered. Questions rephrased, questions answered. Threats lobbied, his reputation speculated about in open court. Truth be told, upon their return to starbase 83, Byrne had been rather surprised at not having been hurled into the brig, or tossed aboard a shuttle emblazoned with the title "Court-Martial Express." It had taken the officious young Lieutenant from the Judge Advocate's office less than 5 minutes during opening statements to shift from lambasting Commander Maxwell, to laying the blame for starting an all out war squarely upon Colin Byrne's doorstep. The thing had become a media circus; though not admitted to the military court, the holo cameras and reporters seemed to grow out of the very bulkheads at the starbase. He was certain that his service record must be top of the New York Times' best sellers' list at this point....

Days of grilling, followed by nights of relative isolation. Had it not been for a regular evening run with Jim Maxwell and occasional visits from Dr. Cavenaugh to follow up on the surgical repair of his back, Colin would declare his existence of the past two weeks to be something less pleasant than his time incarcerated at SB 137. "At least there," he thought, "I was among the general population." Such dark thoughts were usually accompanied by something darker, a nasty little voice in the back of his head which delighted in responding with, "Don't worry, old chum. You'll be back there before your bunk gets cold."

The quarters he'd been afforded were roughly the size of his old cell. For furnishings, he had a simple bed, with a small desk upon which stood an LCARS terminal that provided a very limited access. Colin quickly discovered that aside from the basic library of books, music, and cinema, the terminal had little other use. His incoming mail was being screened, ere go, he'd seen no messages of any sort. But for his terminal, the 4 windowless walls were institutional gray, offering a mind numbing absence of any chance at viewing the outside world. The adjoining bath contained simple facilities, including a replicator which provided a basic menu of food and drink. "No utensils for Byrne," he chuckled to himself. "He might fashion a shank."

"Coffee, French roast."

"Coffee, French roast, is not a selection option," the computer replied.

"Coffee, you twit."

"Coffee, you twit" is not a selection option."

"Coffee," Byrne said, surrendering. A cup of something he swore he could read through appeared. It smelled of hot water, and tasted as if it might've been used to rinse a coffee pot. "Lovely," the LtCdr said as he took his cup to the table, settling before the LCARS. "Library," he ordered, "Marcel Proust, "La Prisonnière", Chapter 6."

He read, his fingers absently finding their way to his recently healed lower back. Colin worked the muscles as he stretched before the book's text. After days of utter solitude, he was surprised to suddenly see the "Incoming Signal" icon flash upon his screen. Pressing the "accept" prompt, Colin was next delighted to note the "sender" header on the transmission.

Antonia Sheffield, Assistant to the Secretary
Federation Consular Offices
London

The title flashed away, replaced by the image of his love.

"Antonia," Colin smiled, "I have missed you terribly."

"Hello, Colin," she answered, a look of concern upon her face. "And I, you. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, darling. I do hope that this mess isn't causing you any trouble?"

"Oh, the tabloids are trying to find some sort of scandal in our relationship," she laughed. "The latest was something about our "love nests in San Francisco and Chelsea." None of that bothers me much," Antonia said, "but Colin, what Fleet Street are saying about you is completely horrific.."

"And completely wrong, I'm certain." he added. "I can't really say anything at the moment, but I shall tell you everything, when the opportunity is right. Until then, don't believe a word of it. It's punditry being fed to a starving press."

"I've already read your complete testimony," she said. "Your mother is furious with StarFleet. She's been lobbying to lead a delegation to Quo'nos..."

"That's not a good idea," Colin replied, alarmed. "This thing could escalate much more quickly. She shouldn't go..."

"If she gets the clearance, I'm going with her," Antonia said.

"Now I am frightened," Colin responded.

"Well, don't be, love," she smiled gently. 'We've both been shouted at by Klingons before. Your mother has friends on the council..."

"It's the going there that concerns me the most," he admitted. "When tensions rise, the Klingons tend to fire a bit indiscriminately."

"Well, we're not going just yet," she smiled again, removing her glasses to rub the bridge of her nose. How is Marisol recovering?"

"She's walking again, according to our doctor. I haven't seen her, but I hope to, very soon. She's still quite cross with me, and I can't blame her for that. My only hope is that I might make amends."

"You shouldn't worry, dear," Antonia smiled. "She loves you; you're her best friend. If I weren't so certain of your affections, I should be worried at you two out there."

Colin smiled. "As to our affections, how are things at the "Chelsea Love Nest?"

"I've moved all of your books and things from the storage," Antonia piped up. "Even that ratty lot of furniture from the lighthouse's sitting room. You should like the look of things when you come home."

"I'll like the looks of you," he grinned. "Don't know that I'll care much about the furniture..."

"In that case, you'll be happy to know that I've bought a larger bed," Antonia said, a coy smile upon her features. "That's my time. I've got to go. Colin, I love you so much. Do keep your head down out there."

"I love you too, darling. I'll write soon."

"Goodbye." As she blew a kiss, Antonia's face vanished, replaced by Chapter 6 of the Proust novel he'd chosen to wade through. "Don't take this personally, Marcel," Byrne said as he switched off the display. At that moment, his chime sounded. "Come in," he said, wondering just how far someone would have to enter a broom closet such as this to be considered "in."

Ambassador Picard stood in the doorway. As he took in the sight of Byrne's temporary accommodations, Picard remarked, "Rather like my old quarters on Stargazer."

"That might explain the commemorative plaque, sir," the LtCdr responded. The joke went absolutely nowhere with the Ambassador; a silence hung in the air between them.

After a moment, Picard spoke. "As you're a bit short of furnishings, let's walk." With Colin's ever present security detail following a few paces behind, the two men walked the public corridors of Starbase 83. At their approach, people glanced, recognized "The Criminal Who Started The War," and quickly pointed him out, in conversations hidden behind their hands. Picard spoke in hushed tones, relaying the details he'd shared previously with Commander Maxwell. General Worf..... Cha-Dan....Chancellor Kronatc. As the Ambassador discussed plans for an "unscheduled" departure from Starbase 83, Colin stopped him.

"Sir," Byrne said, "why are you saddling Maxwell with this? You know Admiralty politics. The sort of thing you're proposing ruins the careers of young men."

"And you'd know a thing or two about that," Picard replied cooly.

"There's a difference," the LtCdr whispered. "When I did those things, I knew what I had to do, and I was aware of the repercussions. Maxwell is the good soldier, He's following orders. When being the good soldier falls apart in the face of an Admiralty court-martial, what will he have then?"

"Why, Lieutenant Commander, I'm surprised that you haven't gotten it," Picard replied. "He'll have you."

"Me?" Byrne asked, mystified.

"You," the Ambassador answered, "the most expendable officer in StarFleet. When the time comes, I expect that you'll know what to do. Good day, Mr. Byrne." Picard turned, leaving Colin staring at the space he'd once occupied.
"Oh, and Mr. Byrne," he called over his shoulder, "Commander Maxwell will meet you for an evening run at the usual time and place." Colin stood, watching the Ambassador as he receded along the corridor.

"Of course. Of course," he whispered. It all fit perfectly....

Twenty minutes later, clad in his running issue and followed by his security, Byrne arrived at the traditional jumping off point for his nightly run with Jim Maxwell. "Hello, sir," the First Officer forced a smile. "I could use a few miles tonight."

<Tag Maxwell>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby The Writer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:08 am

Commander James Maxwell

ON:
"Indeed," Commander Jim Maxwell stated towards the recognition of his First Officer. They both set out in a slow, brisk jog, evenly keeping pace with one another. As they got some distances from the four guards that now stood watching them at the doorway to the gym, the Commander began.

"I assume Picard got in touch with you; assuming as much Number One, do you have any thoughts on the proposition?"

<<Tag Byrne>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:11 pm

It felt good to move; he could feel the air in his lungs, the blood as it began to pulse through his veins. Byrne hoped that the sheer physical outlet would help him to clear his head, hopefully to find some more constructive meaning behind Picard's words. "....the most expendable officer in StarFleet....."
In his current mindset, he read that as one thing. There were those, the Ambassador among them, who'd be looking to him to fall upon his own sword to cover their own deeds.
"....When the time comes, I expect that you'll know what to do..."

He was being offered a damnable set of options. So deep in thought was Byrne, he nearly missed his commander's question when asked.

"I assume Picard got in touch with you; assuming as much Number One, do you have any thoughts on the proposition?"

"When I was a boy," Colin responded, "my older brother and his mates would force me to skate across the center of the pond, to test the thickness of the ice. As the Ambassador discussed his thoughts with me, I had rather the same feeling, sir. We're being offered the thin ice."

<Tag Maxwell>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby The Writer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Commander James Maxwell

ON:
A slight grin passed across Jim's features sighting the analogy dictated by his First Officer as they continued to jog down the track. It would take a few more miles before Jim even broke a sweat, fitness a routine that even he didn't ignore despite the situational standpoint surrounding. The act in itself helped him see things better, in that daze between feeling the burn and pure unclarity, he could reach down and find a better avenue that presented itself like stubbing one's toe into a wall, an "ah ha," moment that was a blunt as the sun was bright.

"I would say you gathered the Ambassador's meaning then. It is what is on the other side of the pond that drives me to think it a good idea to brave the ice." Again a smile. "Perhaps Picard thinks I am still that dumb Marine fresh from boot, too stupid to think for myself; but I know that we are being played up on this. I have a feeling he was too until a few minutes ago, kind of suggests his actions in all this is sincere."

<<Tag Byrne>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:40 pm

First Officer, U.S.S. Repulse

"That's as may be," Colin replied as he ran alongside his CO. "And you know that I'm with you, sir." Picard's words laid heavy upon his heart; as he'd done so many times before in his life, Colin began to sense a certain inevitability
to them, a self fulfilling prophecy. "No longer "if", but "when," he thought as he ran beside the young man who seemed hellbent to toss his own future onto the pyre. "Not if I have anything to say about it," Byrne thought, his mind set upon it's own course.

"Protect the captain, protect the crew," Andrea's mantra, crossed his mind. "....you'll know what to do..." Picard said again from the back of his consciousness. Byrne didn't know exactly what he'd do, but he was beginning to get the seed of an idea..

<Tag Maxwell>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby The Writer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Commander James Maxwell

ON:
"The question is will the crew be as welling," he frowned a bit as the two rounded off to another lap. "I can see Lieutenant Crawford going, he is as anxious as ever, maybe even willing to do some sabotage to get the Eternity out of dock." Again that smiled played across his face, "from what I've heard, he's not so thrilled on how the Eternity lost its computer core and you know how Engineers can be when it comes to the ship they serve on." His face turned serious as he began to fill the burn in his legs and chest. "Dr. Cavenaugh on the other hand...,"

He pulled the thought back. "We will have meet up with the Senior Staff somehow...,"

<<Tag Byrne>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:03 pm

"Oh my god," he thought. "Here I am, once again contemplating high crimes and misdemanors against StarFleet and the Federation as a whole."

"Connor's out," Byrne said. "She'll never go along. I'm not certain about Jamieson, but we need her. The woman can fly like nothing I've ever seen before. Orlan...I'd like him along, but he's very "by the book." I could persuade Okimbo. Etal seems approachable. The doctor, on the other hand," he mused, his breathing deep and even to match his pace, "She could well be our lynchpin. Free to roam the starbase, and she's got clearance for the ship. I'll be seeing her tomorrow. She visits my so-called quarters to conduct post op examinations of my back surgery. That leaves Sorveck," the First Officer said, puffing slightly as another mile fell behind them. "Aside from obligatory responses, the man won't give me the time of day."

<Tag Maxwell>

"I, criminal," Colin thought darkly as he decided to move ahead with tossing his own future to the wolves.
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby The Writer » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:45 am

Commander James Maxwell

ON:
"I think we should start on the doctor then, as you've said, she has clearances to the ship, free roam of the starbase," the Commander fell out, slowing his pace so that conversation could continue away from prying ears. "She'll be a very good stepping stone to get things going with the other loyalist. We'll have to treat her gently, but I think its perhaps negotiable."

<<Tag Byrne>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:28 pm

"I'll make some overtures," Colin said. "Mind you, she's none too pleased with me for ordering phasers drawn in Sickbay, but her mood seems to be improving with Lt. Marquez's recovery." As they jogged at the far end of the track, their security watching from a distance, the First Officer continued. "Part of our planning should involve a ruse, to protect our people from any prosecution. I might have a thought or two about that."

<Tag Maxwell>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby The Writer » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Commander James Maxwell
Commanding Officer, U.S.S Eternity

OFF:
Shortest Post EVER :D

ON:
"Go on," Jim stated to the call of his First Officer.

<<tag Byrne>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:21 pm

"Rather simple, actually," Byrne said as they jogged. "According to my fiance, the media are screaming for my head on a pike. My entire record is being spread across every holovison in the Alpha quadrant. I can tell you from personal experience that StarFleet loves a scape goat. My record, sir, is destined to be ruined by this little "who-shot-first" incident, anyway. I'll also remind you that I already have the word "piracy" in my file. What I'm saying," Colin paused, turning to face Commander Maxwell, "is that I am ready made as the face of this particular act of piracy, with the lot of you as "hostages." They're a breath away from hauling me off to the brig, anyway," he shrugged.

<Tag Maxwell>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Bourne » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:11 am

Lieutenant (JG) Sarah Jamieson
Helm/Flight Operations, U.S.S Eternity

“I’m just a lowly pilot who was transferred to the Eternity prior to the last mission.” Sarah’s voice was wrought with anger and fear as her sleep deprived mind raced through all possible answers.

“And do you agree with the orders given by your commanding officer?” The voice remained as calm as could be, like the man was enjoying a Sunday brunch with friends.

“Do I agree?” Sarah hadn’t even contemplated the question. “Of course,” she shook her head in disbelief. “He made the decision based on the information he was presented at the time. Just like us Marines are trained to do.” She leant forward, placing her elbows on the desk. “Ever seen a lick of combat time, son?” The man, clearly older was now losing his cool. “You can sit here and second guess our decisions from your ivory tower all day and night. The fact of the matter is we acted how we had to in a time of crisis.” Sarah sighed. “Do with me what you will, I stand by the actions of the commanding Maxwell and the part I had to play. Simple.”

--

Sarah’s newly designated living space was smaller, a lot more quaint and, unknown to her jailers, far preferred. The marine in Sarah had helped her through the past few weeks. Name, Rank and number. Never break faith. Rinse, repeat. Simple enough, yet the questions seemed to twist and turn around different angles, angles she had never expected. Asking about her senior’s state of mind or the decision’s made before the mission and who had been picked for each duty station. Why, they were asking these things she couldn’t be sure but she answered the best way she knew how, with a healthy dose of silence.

She chose to spend a lot of her time alone in thought, not really knowing what was going on she spent a lot of time running and a lot of time in silence. Nothing like this had ever happened when she was a Marine, this was something new, Command seemed to be out for blood and as the lowest on the totem pole she was sure to be the one offered as a sacrificial lamb.

<Tag Anyone>
FSF Bourne

"Chance favors the prepared Mind" ~ Louis Pasteur
FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby The Writer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:39 am

Commander James Maxwell

OFF:
You'll get it soon :twisted: full story comes in Season 4....,

ON:
Both the Commander and Lieutenant Commander stopped, their foot falls shuffling to a stand still as Jim reached for his bottle of water, taking a gulp before slapping close the cap. "This isn't my first ether Number One," Maxwell stated with a smirk, "your on the block because most of my out of regulative actions are classified in Military Records, not much the media can do on what they don't have." He shuffled, bringing a quick shake of his head before replying, "..., It won't come to that Byrne."

Out of the corner of his eye he noticed the four guards beginning to move towards their direction. He quickly took another drink before shuffling his pack to his back. "You get Bridget and the crew, I'll take care of the political equation. "

<<Tag Byrne>>

The two escorts separated the officers up, Byrne's crew taking him towards his quarters while Maxwell's replied with the same. Walking down the opposite end of the Starbase, finding no quarter with eye contact from the staff and crew of the base, a dirge walk, as it were, until, with passing doorway of the opening of his quarters, Commander Jim Maxwell stared down the face of a Fleet Commander sitting sprawled comfortably on the Commander's small sofa. Her legs crossed as both her arms rested across the back of the cushions, eyes unmatched green, hair ravine and tied back into a small bun that sat effortlessly behind her head, accentuating her long neck and shoulders that seemed to peg her as a brave and strong woman.

Moments passed between the two as the Commander let go of his pack, allowing it to fall to the floor before he took a step forward, the doors closing behind him. "Good," the Commander breathed solemnly, "saves me from having to call you....," he went over to his stash of liquor, a single bottle of scotch that he motioned towards the Fleet Commander who nodded gently with a smile; acknowledgement played in recognition of the 30 year old bottle that she had, 2 years ago, given him.

"Are we going to have another incident Jim," she stated passingly, turning her head to the viewport that beheld the Eternity's stillness in the quietness of the dock?

Jim took a swig of the drink before taking it back to the bottle for another pour. "Julia I don't think you are in a position right now that I can trust."

She smiled a returning look before getting up from her seat. "Don't let the rank fool you Jim, you and I both know its circumstantial, just like yours Commander. The same man that put these pips on me is the same that put them on your uniform." She came close, taking the glass from his hand and setting it and the bottle back down upon the glass top end table. "You start to drink when you are thinking about doing something reckless," she concluded passingly.

"This is different Jules," Jim began, his motions pushing the young woman away, "this isn't part of the mission."

"How do you know," she stated, her face twisting into a contortion of rage, she sprawled back slapping the glass off the end table? "How do you know you are not playing right in their hands like I have; like we BOTH have up to this point!" Her question pushed with force, it was rhetorical, obviously, it was mostly beckoned out of frustration that had build up for her for 4 years now. "They know Jim," she stated calmly, tears welling in her eyes, "they know more then they let on..., everything..., everything that they have seen has come to pass and I'm tired of being used!"

"Keep your voice down damn it," the Commander finally lifted swiftly moving toward her, holding her still with his arms, his voice breaking character as he spoke softly in her ear. "Your going to get the guards' attention. You want to end up like Mercy..., or Return? Have you not noticed that they have eyes everywhere?"

Silence played as she shivered. "..., I want out...," she finally breathed. "Its like living with a gun to your head....,"

"Look," Jim finally stated pushing her back, wiping the tears from her eyes. "Something must be going down. Something big because they assigned two of us for it. More importantly the L doesn't know of our relationship because if they did they wouldn't have brought you here. You would probably be dead. Showing them this display right now isn't going to help." He watched as the young woman accepted, nodding in return. "Now go wash your face Fleet Commander Passings, and do nothing of the sort to help Commander Maxwell in this, its not what the Fleet Commander would do." Again that crossed look of uncertainty played on her face and Jim finally stated, "I'll be fine."

Silence played and the young woman pulled away, straightening out her uniform before going to wash her face. It took mere moments for the practiced officer to look as she did before breaking down and falling out of character. Her voice fell out towards predominant, commanding, vigor. "Understand Commander that if you hamper the Task Forces activities in the sector you will be punished for it. Bryne's past will not save you in the blame..., do I make myself clear Commander?"

"Yes ma'am," Jim stated, looking back at the Fleet Commander now with a different demeanor and different mind set.

"Very well," Passings concluded exiting without hesitation into the well lit corridor, disappearing as the doors closed.

Again, Jim was alone.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:36 pm

OOC: Post moved from "Personal Logs" section. Note the response tag added at the end.

IC:
"Come on, lads. Off we go," Byrne said to his watchful security escort. Normally, after a run, he felt relaxed, loose, himself. After tonight's running with Commander Maxwell, Colin discovered no such comfort. Black thoughts swirled about his mind, as two serpents locked in combat for his considerations. The first was THE PLAN, which despite himself, was beginning to formulate. The second, protection of the commander and crew from lives in prison or worse by these actions, by far the more insidious of the pair, had filled him with a sense of resignation. The serpent was there. He felt the compulsion to reach for it, unable, unwilling to preserve himself from the venomous strike.

Old Picard saw it for what it was. He simply had the courage to give voice to it. "....the most expendable officer in StarFleet..."

"The old bastard," Byrne muttered to himself as they passed the diversions the Starbase had to offer it's residents. "Aziz Pakistani Restaurant," caught his eye; his mouth actually watered at the thought of some variety in his diet, as opposed to his 2 nightly replicator choices, "Chicken Breast on Greens," or "Club Sandwich." As they exited the bustling activity of the restaurant deck for the nearby turbolift, Byrne noted ruefully as another piece of the puzzle suddenly slipped into place.

His security stood with him as they awaited the turbolift. "I'm rather hungry," he said, turning toward his two companions. "Do they allow you to eat?"

"We have our orders, sir," came the blunt reply.

"Hmmph," he nodded, turning as the turboolift door opened. Marisol stood there, Dennis Biggs at her side. At the sight of him, their eyes flashed in anger, before just as quickly being buried in stone faced avoidance. Colin backed away from the door, allowing room for Biggs to lead the slowly walking Marisol onto the deck. They passed in silence, the tall crewman gently helping the diminutive woman maintain her balance as she moved away.
He watched them go, an emptiness of pain and regret welling within. "Friends no more," Colin thought, before one of the guards touched his shoulder.

"Sir. The lift."

"Oh, sorry. I was a bit distracted there," he said before stepping into the enclosure. "Deck 31."

As the lift rocketed upward, Colin mused upon the loss of his 2 dear friends. "More to come," he thought, before an even darker realization took him. His family, his fiance, all were about to be done grievous harm by his actions. He knew in an instant that he'd have to end his relationship with Antonia before they acted, the consideration of which dawned in silent despair. There was simply no question; he couldn't allow her the pain of his crime. He'd have to visit upon her another sort of hurt altogether...

The door to his quarters opened. "Lads," Colin said, turning toward the 2 security officers, "I don't think I could stomach replicator food again tonight. If I gave you my payment card, I'd be delighted to buy you both whatever you like, if you'd get me something from the Pakistani restaurant we passed."

The guards looked at one another, each questioning the other in silence.

"Oh, come on, then," Byrne chuckled. "Where would I go, but my own shower?"

"Okay," one guard relented. "What do you want?"

"Tell them I'll take whatever they suggest," Colin smiled, offering up his card. "Thanks." The door closed. As he sat before the LCARS terminal, Colin could hear the muffled conversation in the hallway as the two decided upon their own preferences. After a moment, the conversation stopped. Doing his best to numb himself to the darkness ahead, Colin started the timer running.

<Tag Cavenaugh>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby baruc » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Lt. Crawford
Aceng, USS Eternity

:: ommWith the Ship an crew confied to starbase 83. John asnt able to do much, as the ranking engineering officer he was able to help with and oversee the repairs to the USS Eternity. He hasnt seen the Captain or the XO so most of the repairs he took at liberty.

During the day he work on repairing the ship and refiting it. when night came he was researching nanites. Funny how one of the formost knowledge people on nanites was a close friend of Picards. Wesley Crusher, who once unleashed a nanite attack upon the Enterprise. The Enterprise encountered them once again, during which they devloped a defense to the computer core.. of course its classified above my rank, But being an engineer on a starbase for 4 years you learn a few tricks. Few days later he had the plans and started studying them hoping to find a way to intergrate the design into the Eternitys systems.

Computer play file mark TCARS :

TCARS - upgraded system of the standard LCARS. it Utilizes 3 Computer Cores and 2 Auxrillery Cores. Bio-Nueral Gel pack have also been added to this system. During Combat each of the 3 Main Cores are able to work alone or as one. In the event of hull breach or intruders the Main cores will begin transfer Control to the Aux cores and seal themselves in an ablative armor. TBC......

John fell aleep

::OFF::
Lt(Jg) Alex Chen - Chief Science Officer - USS Endevour
lt (jg) Jason Wayne Bryant - Cops - USS Endevour
Ens. Gavin - Engineer - USS Cadecus
PFC Yates - Pararescue - USS Cadecus
1st Lt. Xabier Frost - Marine - Epslion Station
Ens. Victor Creed - Engineer - ISS Tyranny
baruc

Postby baruc » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Lt. Crawford
Aceng, USS Eternity

:: on::
With the Ship an crew confied to starbase 83. John asnt able to do much, as the ranking engineering officer he was able to help with and oversee the repairs to the USS Eternity. He hasnt seen the Captain or the XO so most of the repairs he took at liberty.

During the day he work on repairing the ship and refiting it. when night came he was researching nanites. Funny how one of the formost knowledge people on nanites was a close friend of Picards. Wesley Crusher, who once unleashed a nanite attack upon the Enterprise. The Enterprise encountered them once again, during which they devloped a defense to the computer core.. of course its classified above my rank, But being an engineer on a starbase for 4 years you learn a few tricks. Few days later he had the plans and started studying them hoping to find a way to intergrate the design into the Eternitys systems.

Computer play file mark TCARS :

TCARS - upgraded system of the standard LCARS. it Utilizes 3 Computer Cores and 2 Auxrillery Cores. Bio-Nueral Gel pack have also been added to this system. During Combat each of the 3 Main Cores are able to work alone or as one. In the event of hull breach or intruders the Main cores will begin transfer Control to the Aux cores and seal themselves in an ablative armor. TBC......

John fell aleep

::OFF::
Lt(Jg) Alex Chen - Chief Science Officer - USS Endevour
lt (jg) Jason Wayne Bryant - Cops - USS Endevour
Ens. Gavin - Engineer - USS Cadecus
PFC Yates - Pararescue - USS Cadecus
1st Lt. Xabier Frost - Marine - Epslion Station
Ens. Victor Creed - Engineer - ISS Tyranny
baruc

Postby sail3695 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Currently confined to quarters,
Starbase 83

"Twenty-seven minutes, forty-three seconds," Colin observed, hiding the timer display behind the text of another book. "Well then," he said, "that took some time. Were they busy?"

"No," replied the guard as he placed the carry out food carton upon the desk. "We wanted Bajoran steak."

"Hmmm," the First Officer cum detainee responded. "Sounds rather expensive."

"I don't know," the beefy security crewman grinned. "I didn't really care." He flipped Colin's payment card onto the desk, next to the food. "Call it a delivery charge, sir."

"Quite right," the Lt. Cdr. nodded. "Bon appetit, gentlemen."

The meal had been a ruse, but the fragrances which emanated from the package grew to be too enticing. When Colin opened it, it collapsed outward, taking the shape of a platter upon which several types of food were apportioned. The goat curry caressed his nose first. He was about to tear the first piece of naan, the local bread, to pinch a bit of the aromatic meal into his mouth, when the chime sounded.

"Visitor for you, sir," the guard said. "Ensign Okimbo."

"Okimbo?" he thought, confused. "Do come in, Ensign."

Maya Okimbo entered the tiny room. "Oh, sir, I didn't mean to interrupt your supper," she apologized.

"Nonsense," he smiled. "Have you eaten? There's more than enough here."

"It does smell good," she smiled appreciatively. "Indian?"

"Pakistani," Colin smiled. "Just next door, if my geography is correct. Here, let's move this to where we can both get at it."

The disposable platter landed in the center of Colin's bed. He took one end, sitting cross legged, and invited her to the other. Soon, they were both enjoying the highly seasoned food, washing it down with water from Colin's replicator.

"There are so many similarities to this," Maya smiled, "and my family's dinners in Kenya. Have you tried the chick peas?"

"No," he said, tearing a bit of bread to pinch some of the repast. "Mmmmm, lovely," Colin said, covering his mouth as he spoke.

Soon, both had eaten their fill, and taken more comfortable positions, leaning against the wall as they traded pleasantries.

"So, Ensign," Colin said, "Aside from being the most enjoyable company I've entertained, what brings you here tonight?"

Her smiled faded. "I testified before the judge advocate's officer today. Two hours of harsh questions. I didn't feel right without coming to tell you, sir."

"If you answered everything truthfully," Byrne said, "then you don't owe me a thing, Ms. Okimbo."

"Please, it's Maya," she replied. "The lieutenant spent most of the time questioning me about Lt. Marquez and the nanites. She twisted everything horribly, forcing "yes' and "no" answers to questions which truly needed explanation," the young woman from Kenya said, folding her arms. "It was very frustrating."

"I'm sorry, Maya," he said. "She's attempting to build a case. These hearings are her chance to toss everything against the wall to see what sticks, so to speak."

"But why are they trying to destroy you?"

"I'm the easy target," he replied. "My past is more than a bit spotty, Maya. "If StarFleet can bring me down, then they have something to wave to both the press and the Klingons. If it'll stop a war," he said, "let them have at it."

"And all that we can do is sit here," she said. "May I call you Colin?" At his nod, she continued. "Colin, this is simply wrong. I intend to protest...."

As she expressed her frustrations with StarFleet justice, Colin paid keen attention to Maya. It didn't take long to sense her underlying outrage, her building frustration, and the anger which welled inside her concerning what she'd learned was being said and done concerning her ship, her crew, and possibly her own career "Colin, I want to do something about all of this!" she exclaimed. "I don't know where to begin!"

"Shhhhh," he whispered. "There is something that you can do. It's dangerous, Maya. And," he added, "highly illegal. You could lose your career, possibly face prison time if caught, though I've got a plan to try to protect everyone from prosecution."

Her eyes had widened, locked into his own direct gaze. For a moment, Colin thought he might've overplayed his hand with Ensign Okimbo. Her eyes dropped, sweeping the platter which lay between them. After a moment, she looked up,fixing his gaze into her own again. "Tell me."

Colin explained his plan carefully, choosing not to mention Picard by name. Finally, he got to his instructions. "Maya, what I need now is for you to discretely contact Dr. Cavenaugh, Lieutenants Jamieson, Orlan, Sorveck, Etal, and Crawford. They each need to come visit me here in quarters, one at a time. I need them all, or this mission fails, before it's begun. Can you do that for me?"

Okimbo sat before Colin, eyeing him keenly, saying nothing. Colin saw the emotions through her eyes as she worked things out. Eventually, she spoke. "Today, I was threatened with prosecution for my actions during the battle.
Next, I was told that charges would be filed that claimed me to be complicit as you drew phasers to force the nantites to withdraw from Lt. Marquez. I'll do this," she said. "But, with the guards watching you, how do we convince them that all the visits are only just friendly chats?"

"Bless you, Maya," Colin smiled. "If you like, tell them each to come at either breakfast or lunchtime, and to bring me proper food. It's no lie that I'm going to starve for what this replicator is programmed to offer me."

<Tag Cavenaugh, Jamieson, Sorveck, Orlan, Etal, Crawford>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Next

Return to In-Character Roleplay