S01E01 "Ildius"

Where the crew of the Star Trek: Entity sim come to post their in-character posts.

S01E01 "Ildius"

Postby The Writer » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:11 pm

Season 1
A year later after the Hobus Star is quelled from going nova by Ambassador Spock. In the year 2388, the Romulan Star Empire is no more. Efforts are being laid to give aid to the survivors of the devastation by the Federation despite the tension growing between themselves and the Klingon Empire who is held bent on laying stake to the now uncharted region of space: Section 84, “The Fringe.” Within the watchful eye of Ambassador Jean-Luc Picard, the U.S.S. Eternity, a Sovereign Class Vessel, commanded by James Maxwell becomes one of three vessels charged with exploration and policing of the Fringe along with the Enterprise-E and the Lunar Class Vessel, Titan; returning friends unite against the last remnants of Romulus, the, “Followers of Nero,” as the countdown ends.

Episode 1 "Ildius"
For four months, efforts have been placed by the Federation to render aid to the survivors of the Romulan Star Empire. Tasked under the command of Ambassador Jean-Luc Picard, the Eternity, Enterprise-E, and Titan are soon to leave Starbase 83 to begin charting the region of "The Fringe." The Titan, under the command of William Riker will serve as the center relay of this effort while the Enterprise-E and Eternity become glorified scientific props, transferring their data to the Science Vessel.
~Gabriel "The Writer" Logan
The Writer
Post Guru

Prologue

Postby The Writer » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:23 pm

Prologue
"..., the needs of the few...,"
Written by Gabriel "The Writer" Logan

The current waves of the Red Matter induced black hole bleached the entirety of the view screen before him as his ship, the Narada fell deeper and deeper into the abyss. It was nothing but a quell of anger as he outstretched his gapping maw to call out in rage at the storm before him and the man on the other side of the communications link.

"SPOCK!" raged the Romulan Miner, Nero as his bridge began to be consumed in the waves of subspace, crossing into the threshold of the black hole that had once been the Hobus Star. "I WILL HAVE MY VENGEANCE! I WILL HAVE IT!" His words bit the air, spit flying in disgust as rage continued to storm within him, fueling.

Static began to cut as the Narada bled into the portal, consumed in a mixture hue of cobalt fire and ravaged reds. At the ebbed wake of the mass modified ship's journey into the anomaly, Ambassador Spock, sitting within the Jellyfish, having delivered the payload of red matter, accepted his finality, soon, the gravitational well would consume his ship, he would follow the same fate as Nero. He knew of this outcome, did not fear it, but now thought of what he was leaving behind as he finished his last remnant reporting lines to Vulcan.

"..., it is done," he stated despite the tremor cataclysm riddling through his ship. "The Hobus Star is no longer a threat to the galaxy." Another violent shake passing as he stammered to find hand holds within the cockpit. The sudden splash of light signifying the conclusive moment the black hole formed as the space in the blasts wake morphed the stars.

"..., but I am trapped by the singularity now," Spock continued, the view before him nothing but black as the ship shook more and more as it entered. "To my friends who might hear this message. Do not grieve. It is only logical." With the closing statement the warning alarms riddled the console before him, he did nothing to this, sitting back in his chair and closed his eyes.

"..., the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few....,"

"Captain," sighted the Operations Officer onboard the Enterprise - E as it streamed at maximum warp towards the location of the Hobus Star, "sensors show no trace of the supernova. The singularity consumed it completely." The young officer paused continued with a smile and a brightened sense of joy. "Spock did it."

"Dropping out of warp," called the helmsman, signaling the fallout from warp, the gentle thrum of the engines dying down as the impulse drive kicked on, steading the ship a far as possible to the black hole that now filled the viewscreen. Ambassador Jean Luc Picard got up from his seat, followed closely by Captain Data who also shared the Ambassador's gaze.

"Is there any sign of the Jellyfish," Picard's words fell on the still silent bridge.

"Scanning," the Operations Officer stated, his hands flying over the console before him with untainted practice. "Warp signatures show...," his gaze fell as he read the readout. "I'm sorry sir. Both the Jellyfish and the Narada were pulled into the black hole."

"There is no possibility of escape from the singularity," Captain Data added, his cold android tone sounding off that would cater to some that did not know him, to be a tone of frank cruelty. "We are too late."

"No," Picard spoke softly, his eyes still upon the screen. Data looked towards his former commander, finding only Picard's still demeanor in the wake of such grieving circumstances. "Spock knew. He knew this would happen. He knew he wouldn't escape." In a turn, the Ambassador moved to take his seat.

"He sacrificed himself to save us all." A pause as he sat down, finding his eyes back towards the screen.

"May his soul live long," Picard stated, this time his voice taking a higher tone of volume as he concluded, "..., and prosper."
The Writer
Post Guru

Re: S01E01 "Ildius"

Postby The Writer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:12 am

Commander James Maxwell
Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Eternity

OFF:
The first In-Character Post for the sim, kick off for the season and catalyst for all activity in Episode 1 "Ildius." I hope you enjoy not only the post but also the guild as a whole, its been a pleasure to create it and I thank you for the opportunity to tell a story once again in the forum I love and in the genre I'm knowledge of. Note that this post will be the signal for all other members to begin, it will have a catered story action and regarded tags near the end, giving all of you avenues to run with in your posts. Again, thank you and hope you enjoy the experience.

09-05-2010

ON:
Story Note: The Eternity is docked at Starbase 84 along with the Titan and Enterprise-E. All crew assigned to the Eternity begin making their way to the ship. Due to the nature of the operation, new sensor pallets and software are being installed onboard. Chaos litters all around the Sovereign Class vessel as the collection of Dock Workers scramble to get these pallets installed, in so doing, communications for the Eternity are down and restricted to dock worker's mobile terminal platforms

Commander James Maxwell sat onboard Shuttle-Pod 3, the tactile logo of Starbase 84 pronounced upon its side and front as it flew out of the docking bay of the station towards the collection of three ships harbored within, swarming traffic of worker bee vehicles, EV suited deck hands, and collective fleet of shuttle pods streamed around in a controlled chaos. The pilot moved the small shuttle into the collection of traffic expertly, finding that the ship's view port shelled out a good view of the Lunar Class Vessel, U.S.S. Titan, which, in collaboration, would be the mainstay vessel of the three vessel Task Force that was to chart, "the Fringe," the area surrounding the Hobus Star incident that swallowed the Romulan Star Empire.

Sitting there staring out at the Deep Space Science Vessel, Maxwell couldn't help but think on the past meeting he had before, meeting Captain Riker, Captain Data, and Ambassador Picard for the first time. His reminder of the event sparking a catalyst within him into the notion of how out of place he felt. A Starfleet Marine grunt, commissioned into a Commander rank and passed into the Commanding Officer position of a Sovereign Class was one thing, being the youngest at the table and the less experienced was another.

"..., so your going to use my ship Ambassador," Captain William Riker had played as he leaned forward, fingers laced into one another, elbows sliding on the reflective black surface of the conference table that day on Starbase 84. "..., like old times?" His voice posing the question with obvious catering thoughts to the responds he was going to receive from his former Commanding Officer.

Ambassador Jean-Luc Picard sat at the head of the table, leading the talk on their initial moves into charting the, now, unknown region of the Fringe. "I called the Titan because I know them to be the best, and yes," Picard played with a smile, "like old times." he looked past Commander Maxwell who sat next to Riker and banned his sight over to the pale skinned Captain Data who sat stoic as ever. "Captain Data and the Enterprise-E crew are also going to be a part of this operation as well as Commander Maxwell and his crew onboard the Eternity."

To this Data gave a nod, "Ambassador," he had played. Maxwell followed suit, saying nothing, but nodding in respect to all in regard.

"Commander Maxwell comes to us from the Marine Corps. I'm sure the Norlius can make due without you," Picard played in question causing the eyes of the other two Captains to focus on him?

"Yes sir," Maxwell replied, "Captain Renaldo is a fair CO, good head on his shoulders, I'm sure he'll make due. My replacement is also good officer."

"Very good," Picard finished, turning back to Titan's Commanding Officer, "Will, the floor is yours."

Riker got up from his seat, moving over to the display panel before the conference table, touching the smooth black surface, causing it to come to life with a display of colors and shapes that twisted into three ships, the Enterprise-E, which held on the right quadrant of the Titan, holding the center, and the Eternity, which took up the left quadrant.

"The plan is simple," Riker began moving the images, demonstrating a classic beta search pattern. "The Titan will serve as the relay point of mapping the Fringe, sending scientific and stellar cartography information after analyzing and collating the data onboard, to Starbase 84 where our Chief Science Officer, Lieutenant Commander Jaza Najem, will work close with the base's science department. The Enterprise and the Eternity will be the Titan's glorified science probe pods, spanning out further in a search pattern of the uncharted section of space. Commander Tuvok and Commander Ra-Havreli will install a new sensor pallet system and software onboard both Sovereign Classes to better serve the Titan's extended reach and make the shared coupling compatible." The Captain stopped, turning back to the conference table.

"Captain Data will take grids 2 through 30 while Commander Maxwell takes 32 through 60. The goal is to get 2 grids charted in thirty minutes to even an hour at a time before moving onto the next."

"Judging by speed and distance Captain Riker," Data began, "I estimate three days to complete the task...,"

"Perhaps not without incident," Commander Maxwell interrupted, taking note at the stares he was getting, "I understand Klingon presences has increased in the area, and we don't know if all Romulans share the popular thinking of sovereignty in the Federation."

"I've spoke to Consul T'Kar with the Klingon Empire," Picard added, "they take the same stance we are on the Romulans and I've been assured that our efforts will be a joined one. Still, it is probably best to keep our guard up...,"

"Understood," Maxwell concluded, leaving the stares that went back to Riker as he concluded the mission briefing.

"Mission will commence at 1330," he stated.

The time of 1330 echoed in Commander Maxwell's mind as his thoughts drew onto the present, finding that the time placed the mission nearly eight hours from now. He placed the PADD he had reviewed from down on his lap just as the Shuttle-Pod cleared the saucer section of the Titan. As it did, the Commander's eyes fell on the ship he was to Command.

Before the viewport lied the U.S.S. Eternity, as the view grew closer the sighting registration number: NX-91001 played in a brightly lit illumination that splashed over the dark markings from the flood light just below the main bridge. Commander Maxwell could see workmen connecting the sensor pallets in great big sheets of flexed alloys that wavered in the stillness of space, subtle sparks riddled briefly as these pallets were tacked into place.

The shuttle-pod pushed up over the viewports atop the Eternity's main bridge, the interior activities briefly displayed before flowing over towards the back end of the Sovereign, the reddish orange glow of the bussard collectors greeting as the ram nacelles popped blue hues into the splashing grey and black color scheme the ship catered to.

The view rounded as the shuttle pod came to the rear of the ship, finding that the main shuttle-bay doors were open as loadouts of shuttlecrafts were being worked on, catalogued, and even flown into the massive ship. "USS Eternity this is shuttle pod 3 requesting permission to dock," spoke the pilot of which the shuttle bay flight deck officer splashed in reply.

"Shuttle Pod 3, you are cleared to dock. Welcome aboard."

"Roger Eternity, Shuttle Pod 3 Out." To this, the craft began its approach, moving gently into place before the modulation of its deflector matched with that of the force field screen of the shuttle bay, passing through the energy field in a rose of blue before coming to a smooth landing aiding by tractor beams inside bay. As the shuttle came to a close, finding solid ground to the hull plate of the ship, Commander James Maxwell stood up from his seat, pressing the actuator that allowed the mass door to open with a dry hiss and whirl.

Footfalls hit deck, immediately signaling the contingent of crew to come to attention the resounding thrum of boots shifting to click together echoed even beyond the loud work around. "As you were," the Commander shouted, a salute passing as he ran walked down the center isle of the collected bodies.

"Commander Maxwell," a voice called from in front, stopping him. She stood in front, a uniform held onto her body, a collected PADD in her grasp tight to her bosom. She saluted and Maxwell returned it. "I'm Yeoman Ellis Bree," she sparked with a smile taking to gripping the Commander's PADD and adding it to her collection. "Your personal assistant as we get underway."

"Understood," the Commander beckoned as he brushed past her to walk out of the chaos consumed Main Shuttle Bay, the pod he had taken suddenly taking flight to exit, banishing into space in a spray of blue and a ting of energy. Passingly he slapped his communication's badge, the device replying with a dry chirp.

"Commander Maxwell to Lieutenant Commander Byrne," he began when suddenly the com-link blurred into a series of beeps and chirps before closing out. The Commander again slapped his badge finding nothing this time around. He turned to Bree, "What the hell is wrong with communications?"

"Installation of the new sensor pallet system sir," the Yeoman replied, "its affecting our ship's communication. Flight crews have a temporary communications network onboard, though, not as powerful and only accessible by their mobile terminals"

"Well you tell those dock works that I want communications up within the hour or I'll have their asses in a sling," Maxwell finished, his resolve well founded as he moved towards the flight deck officer's post, finding the man behind the terminal. "You the Flight Deck Officer in charge here?"

"I am Commander," the Engineer stated still moving through his work. "Damn it Snipe, I told you to punch out that bracket so that thing won't move. Tell Murphy that I don't care...," he seemed to be continuing orders, shouting them through local two way communications array set up temporarily. He looked back from the console. "Sorry sir," his face still holding grim, "we're having a hell of a time getting you packed and ready with coms down."

"Look at me," Maxwell played pointing at himself, "do I look like I care? You tell the Dock Worker Chief that if I don't have communications within the hour he'll have a lot more to worry about."

"I've tried to requisition that sir," the Flight Deck Officer played, still punching on his console, "but the coms have to be off in order to install the new software for the sensor pallets."

"Get them on the horn," Maxwell called, scrambling over to the Officer's console to which had punched in the frequency. "This is Commander Maxwell, who am I speaking with?"

"Bernard sir," came the other end, static filled, the backdrop sounding busy.

"Bernard, I need communications on my ship turned on within the hour...,"

"Trying sir, but we have to wait to get the sensor pallets installed on your ship before we can set coms back up. We are giving it our best."

"Your best isn't good enough son. You tell whoever you need to tell that if I don't have coms up soon I'm going to start firing torpedoes into the dock. I wager the range I won't need my tactical systems to do it. You read me?"

"Aye sir," the voice played, "I'll see what I can do."

"We'll see what that does," he stated jumping off the platform and coming to a land next to the Yeoman. He grabbled the two data PADDs out of her grasp. "You need to stay here and relay all senior officers to the bridge. Tell Lieutenant Commander Byrne, the moment he gets aboard, to make his way to my ready room."

"But I...," the woman stammered, still in shock and probably a little unnerved to have to stay in the shuttle bay with the rest of the grease monkeys.

"Oh, and I don't need a personal assistant," the Commander followed up, eyeing through the information on one of the PADDs. "Hey Chief," he yelled up towards the Flight Deck Officer.

"Yes Sir?"

"All incoming shuttles carrying senior staff go through here. Reporting to Yeoman Bree, Understood."

"Aye Commander."

Maxwell looked up finally to the Yeoman, finding her eyes catering to her unfathomable discomfort to the situation just now presented to her. The Commander frowned in return. "Understood?"

"Aye Commander," the Yeoman passed.

With that Maxwell again began to leave, exiting past the open doors and into the turbo-lift. "Bridge," he called, shuffling the PADDs back under his right armpit smiling at the thought that the Fleet Officers had personal assistants.

The doors opened and immediately dock works came to attention. "As you were," the Commander stated, beginning to cross the gap between the Turbo Lift and his Ready Room, stopping at the collection of wires that were strewed all over the floor.

"Ok," he began, turning around to address everyone, "listen up." He grabbed the attention of the dock workers that had become like roaches to the Commander since his short stay so far on the Eternity, scampering annoying little bugs. "I don't know what your doing to my ship, but I want at least one Dock worker per station to hold their positions so that when the officers assigned to those stations get here, they can throughly inspect what you've done and tear you open if they find something foul."

He turned back around, his eyes falling on the wires. "And clean this mess up. I run my ship Military and this is not acceptable..., " the Commander stepped over the collection of cobbled components before entering the quiet Ready Room, the door closing behind him.

Immediately he was given reprieve, the cold comfort of the darken room, the clean floor, the solid desk, the only illumination coming from the viewport that looked over to the workers progressing on another Sovereign, the Enterprise-E, installing another set of sensor pallets. James took a moment to reflect by the window standing at a military, 'at ease,' hands behind his back as he stared out upon the view before him; wondering the why of it all.

He felt more comfortable with a side arm, assault rifle, more so than field reports on ship's specs and sensor install progress, let alone exploring an uncharted sector. Babysitting, it seemed, was what he would be doing for several days to come and exploration had a tendency to become boring. To that, the Commander shuffled back towards his desk. "Lights," he commanded before taking a seat at the desk, sliding over the two data PADDs.

He wouldn't have long to review them, his crew was soon to come aboard, and he took it a point to meet them one on one, face to face. You can't measure a person by looking at their service jacket.

..., it wouldn't be long.

<<Tag All Crew>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby FSF Bourne » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Lieutenant JG Sarah Jamieson
Helm/Flight Operations, U.S.S Eternity

“That was a kick-ass ride, chief!” Sarah yelped as she threw herself upwards from the second chair in the shuttle; when she had asked the chief for a ‘spin around the block’ she didn’t ever expect him to come back with something like that. Imagine that, she thought, A Fleeter actually able to fly! Her thoughts were short lived as the craft vibrated and let out a solemn, low clunk that indicated they had landed. “You’ll have to let me show you how we did things in the Marines on my return trip!” Sarah said, her hand resting on the mans shoulders as a thanks, an awkward moment that thankfully passed quick. Sarah quickly gathered up a couple of PADD’s she had been housing and resisted the urge to skip off the shuttle down on to the deck.

“Lieutenant Jay-Gee Jamieson?” A voice called out almost immediately, Sarah had hardly touched one boot on the deck before she was being summoned.

“Present and accounted for!” She swivelled on the ball of her feet, ready to snap a salute, should it be required. “Ah, Yeoman,” she realised. “What can I do for you?” Sarah was uncertain of her position. She had been a fighter jock for so long that something of this magnitude and sheer size was almost alien to her.

“The Captain asked that you report immediately to the bridge,” The young yeoman obviously following her orders to the tee.

“Excellent. A marine, right?” Sarah had heard the rumours, a marine turned fleeter, just like her, was running the tug-boat. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad after all. The yeoman didn’t answer, just watched as Sarah moved towards the nearest hatch.

The ship was a lot more professional than she expected, some of the dock workers she encounter once through the hatch even offered her the odd ‘Ma’am’ which, to Sarah seemed like a backwards concept and caused her to check her six for any higher-ups following. After passing through the crazed work-fuelled docking area the rest of the ship was a blessing. Long, winding hallways with a nice upholstered interior was another thing Sarah wasn’t used too; the screens with views of a similar ship filled the walls and the ship had a stench of freshness too it. Sarah took two seconds to decide it was too new for her liking.

“Captain’s...” She spoke under her breath once on the bridge, “...Ready Room.” She had found it, pressing the chime immediately afforded her a few seconds to get an overview of her station and the rest of the command section. Where all the action happens, right? Sarah swayed back and forth on the balls of her feet as she waited to be beckoned further.

<Tag Maxwell>
FSF Bourne

"Chance favors the prepared Mind" ~ Louis Pasteur
FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby sail3695 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:50 pm

Lt. Commander Colin Byrne
First Officer, USS Eternity

"USS Eternity, this is Cargo Shuttle Delta Tango Two Zero Niner, on final approach and ready for tractor lock."

"Delta Tango Two Zero Niner, Eternity. Hold your position until we clear departure traffic."

"Two Zero Niner roger." The shuttle pilot, unaccustomed to carrying passengers, turned in his seat. "Sorry, sirs. We're waiting for the bay to clear. Probably another minute or two."

"Thanks," replied the First Officer. Lt. Commander Colin Byrne returned his attention to Lt. Marisol Marquez, assigned as an Engineering assist to the Sovereign Class vessel they were both about to begin calling "home."
The pair had both undergone re-enrollment training together at the Academy, and had become fast friends in the process. "So, what were you saying about the sensor packets?" he asked, his face taking a worried expression.

"They're still tack bonding them to the hull," the diminutive woman said unhappily. "There's alot of work yet to do."

"Are you talking about power and control?" he asked. "Through-hull linkages?"

"No, that's the good news," Marquez replied. "Totally wireless. Once they're mounted, it's all about addressing each sensor, then calibrating power, control, and return frequencies. Not physically demanding, but it's time consuming, and plays hell with all sorts of other systems while it's underway."

"You're making me wish for a drill and cable," Byrne smiled ruefully as he leaned forward to take in the view of the Eternity from the shuttle pilot's forward ports. Behind him, Byrne heard the gutteral sound of someone sending his breakfast into a bag. Crewman Dennis Biggs was once again experiencing space sickness. "Biggs," the First Officer said, "do check in with Sickbay when we touch down."

"Not that at all, Old Keep, uh, sorry, I mean sir," Biggs replied, his voice thick from his heaving. "Get me on a solid deck and I'm spot on."

"Right now it's more like "spotted", Marquez retorted, a wry smile upon her face. The three had become friends after both Byrne and Marquez, members of the "fossil" platoon, volunteered their participation in the Cadet's soccer team, the first to tie their annual opponents, the drill instructors, in over a decade. At Biggs' insistence, they'd all packed their football kit, making the promise to continue the sport on the holodeck of the Eternity as time allowed. They'd spent the past two days traveling together from Earth via commercial carriers, finally catching a lift on an aging Raan Class vessel out to StarBase 84. Now, as they were about to embark upon their new careers, the friends all made the adjustment from first names to ranks and respect.

"Seven and a half hours doesn't sound like much time at all," Byrne continued.

"Believe me, it isn't," Marquez frowned. "I'll bet the Chief Engineer's pulling his hair out right now for a 1330 cast off. Anyway you slice it, I'm counting on hitting the deck running, if we ever make it there."

"No worries, sir," the pilot acknowledged. "There's a shuttle clearing the bay. We should be moving in a second."

"Delta Tango Two Zero Niner, Eternity. You are cleared for final approach and tractor lock. Set your deflector to auto modulation sync and enjoy the ride."

"Thank you, Eternity. Delta Tango Two Zero Niner out." The pilot turned to face his passengers once more. "Y'all might want to hang onto the cargo nets 'til we're nacelles down. Computers don't appreciate the beauty of a soft landing."

"Oh, bloody hell," Biggs muttered, clutching his space sick bag.

"She's a jumble of cables now," Byrne said, "but she is a beauty, nonetheless." As he watched, the small cargo ship glided into the Sovereign Class vessel's main shuttle bay, settling upon the deck with a lurch. He caught sight of an uncomfortable looking young woman who clutched a PADD to her breast as she eyed the shuttle. Behind him, the aft cargo door opened, admitting several deckhands who set to work uncoupling the cargo netting from the supplies they'd shared the ride with. "Off we go," Byrne said to his compatriots as he slung his duffel over one shoulder. In his right hand was his PADD; his left held the handle to the guitar case. The three new arrivals negotiated their way around the shuttle, careful to avoid the hands who hurriedly offloaded her cargo to clear the bay for the next inbound shuttle.

"Excuse me, Lt. Cmdr. Byrne?" the young woman asked. At his nod, she said, "I'm Yeoman Bree. Welcome aboard. Commander Maxwell wants you to report immediately to his ready room."

"Thank you, yeoman," he smiled, tapping his commbadge. "Byrne to Commander Maxwell." The badge chirped, popped with static, and then went silent.

"Comms are down for at least another hour," the Yeoman apologized. "The new sensors..."

"Ah, so," Byrne nodded. "Have any of the senior staff reported aboard?"

"Lt. Jamieson, the Chief Helmsman," she replied.

"What about the Chief Engineer?" Marquez asked. As Yeoman Bree shook her head to the negative, Marisol fixed Byrne with a troubled expression. "This isn't good, Colin. Just over seven hours out, and I see dockyard workers all over the ship. We don't even have comms up."

"Right," Byrne replied. "Looks as if you're being promoted until the chief arrives," he said. "We need shipwide comms immediately. What can you do?"

"The E-Com system," she replied. "If they haven't ripped the circuits out. People will have to tap the bulkhead panels, but it'll work until we get the primary system back without affecting the sensor calibration."

"Good, Marisol, get straight to it. Make your first test call to the ready room. After that, I'll want a full status report as soon as you can manage."

"Yes sir," she said, her face a mask of uncertainty as she turned forward to leave the shuttle bay. "Crewman Biggs, have you got a duty post?"

"No, sir," he replied.

"You're with me," Marquez said. Byrne watched the pair head off, then turned to face the yeoman.

"Would you notify me as the rest of the senior officers come aboard? We've rather a mad dash to make it to our 1330 cast off," he smiled.

"Of course, sir," Yeoman Bree smiled in return. "Anything I can do to help."

"There is one other thing," Byrne said. "I hate to ask, but could you have someone take these things to my quarters? I don't think I'll be seeing them until very late tonight."

"Of course, sir," the Yeoman nodded. He thanked her, then headed for the nearest turbolift.

"Bridge," Byrne said. As the lift began it's ascent, he thought about his new ship, her status, and the clock which ticked mercilessly toward 1330. Sensors notwithstanding, there were a myriad number of details to address.
Every system had to be checked. Every console tested. He would make damned certain that USS Eternity would make her departure on time, without repeating the often told tale of leaving "without a tractor beam." For this, a working comm system was crucial. The hard wired E-Comm system was the 24th century equivalent of speaking tubes, but it would allow all other departments to progress toward cast off, while keeping the Captain and his First Officer informed.

He didn't know much about Commander Maxwell, other than the details of his service jacket. A career in the Marines, which, followed with a surprise promotion to a Fleet command certainly must have some heads being scratched, especially when considering the names involved in this particular mission. Riker. Data. Picard. Jean-Luc had captained Enterprise when Colin Byrne was getting his first taste of command life aboard USS Renown. This was clearly a very high profile mission. Byrne found himself wondering again at just what had been on the minds of the Admiralty when they chose a man with his own checkered past to serve in such a role.

The turbolift door opened, revealing a spacious bridge. Under normal circumstances, this would've been a sight to thrill the new Lt. Cmdr. On this day, he saw only the opened consoles, jumbles of conduit, components recklessly discarded by the shore technicians as they hurried through their tasks. This would be one of the first messes he'd see toward putting right..

A young officer caught his eye. She pressed the ready room chime, positively bouncing on the balls of her feet in anticipation. He took note of the collar pips. "Lt. Jamieson?" he asked.

"Yes, sir," she replied, snapping smartly to attention as she faced him.

"At ease, Lt. I'm Lt. Cmdr. Byrne, the First Officer. It's a pleasure," he smiled, offering his hand. As the two officers shook hands, he asked, "So, did you tap the chime?"

"Twice," she said.

"Some systems are offline for the moment," Byrne replied, wondering just how in Hell's name the ready room chime could affect the sensor packet calibration. "We'll have to do this the old fashioned way," he smiled as he knocked at the ready room door.

<Tag Maxwell>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby The Writer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:51 pm

Commander James Maxwell

OFF:
So, got internet back up and working at my house :) So, I'll be able to post regularly.

ON:
It wasn't long after Commander James Maxwell took to his seat behind his desk, tapping through reports from the dock's and noting how far behind they were when a knock rapped on the door. Its cause was subtle, faint, but clearly it was a knock.

"Come," the Commander shouted.

<<Tag Jamieson, Byrne>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby FSF Bourne » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:01 pm

Lieutenant (JG) Sarah Jamieson

Sarah opened the door, stood to one side and obediently followed in the man she presumed to be the Executive Officer.

"Lieutenant Junior Grade Sarah Jamieson," Sarah said, before the door had even closed. "Reporting for duty, sir!" She snapped the final word, her eyes forward and body stood to attention as she awaited the first words from her commanding officer.

<Tag Maxwell, Byrne>
FSF Bourne

FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby The Writer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Commander James Maxwell

ON:
"Jamieson," Commander Maxwell followed to the LTJGs introductions, "as in Commander Jane Jamieson's daughter?"

<<Tag Jamieson>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby FSF Bourne » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:23 pm

"Yessir!" Sarah stated with pride. "I may have joined the marines to rebel but my mother was always right sir," She paused slightly. "I'd be donning a Starfleet uniform one day, it was inevitable." Sarah hadn't realised the obvious, her head tilted slightly when she finally cottoned on. "You know my mother, sir?"

<Tag Maxwell>
FSF Bourne

FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby The Writer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Commander James Maxwell

ON:
To the Helmsman question, Commander Maxwell only smiled. "Only by reputation, which means you have some mighty big shoes to fill L.T," he got up from his seat coming around towards the Lieutenant Commander.

<<Tag Jamieson>>

"Lieutenant Commander Byrne," he began extending a hand, "I understand you will be my number one on board....,"

<<Tag Byrne>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:05 pm

First Officer, U.S.S. Eternity

After their introductions and the unusual need to knock, the Commander's voice beckoned them into the Ready Room.

"Thank you, Lieutenant Jamieson," Byrne said as she stood to one side, allowing him to enter first. Both officers strode to Cmdr. Maxwell's desk and snapped to attention.

"Lieutenant Junior Grade Sarah Jamieson, reporting for duty, sir!"

"Lieutenant Commander Colin Byrne, also reporting, sir," he said.

Byrne remained at attention as the Commander and the Lt. jg discussed her mother, and her own advancement from the Marines into StarFleet. He liked the young woman's enthusiasm, and came away with the impression that she'd take a no nonsense approach to her position. All the while, his internal clock ran down the time. "1330" he thought again, silently creating a checklist for his next actions, including status updates from Engineering, as well as the new sensor pallet installations. The dockyard foreman was on his short list; that conversation was liable to become heated, especially when he'd offer the suggestion that the man have his crew pack their bags to come along and finish any leftover work while the ship was underway. "Comms, comms," he thought, fervently hoping to hear Lt. Marquez's voice testing E-com.

"Lieutenant Commander Byrne," Commander Maxwell addressed him, offering his hand. "I understand you will be my number one on board."

"Yes, sir," Byrne smiled, extending his own hand. "It's a pleasure, Commander Maxwell."

<Tag Maxwell, Jamieson>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby The Writer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:04 pm

Commander James Maxwell

ON:
Briefly, Commander Maxwell shook hands with his First Officer before retracting and placing his hands behind his back, taking a gaze upon the Lieutenant Commander, noting his age in comparison to his own, it seemed that experience would breed with age, and the Commander held no delusions of that fact, but still, circumstances could not be held quibble and the Commander continued.

"I feel that I don't need to express the time crunch we are under number one, obviously we are to head out of the moors in less than eight hours and these upgrades to our sensors aren't doing us any favors. If I had my way we would use the damn sensors that came stock with the ship, but Captain Riker seems to think otherwise." He paused shifting over to his desk to take up a single PADD from the marble surface before handing it over to the Lieutenant Commander. "Orlan, our Chief Ops has been trying to speed up the process, but its hard to get anything done with communications gone. Obviously that should be our first priority in getting things underway. I'm going to also want a senior staff meeting ether before or after to discuss the mission in detailed, a lot haven't been briefed...,"

<<Tag Byrne, Jamieson, Orlan>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby sail3695 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:42 pm

First Officer, USS Eternity

Maxwell's handshake was firm; the man carried himself with the bearing of one who knew full well the weight of command. As he spoke, Byrne observed the purposeful nature and clarity in both his eyes and his words. He found himself nodding agreement to opinions concerning their dwindling time window, the sensor packages, and the need for the senior staff to meet prior to cast off. The situation was certainly "black and white."

"Yes, sir," the First Officer replied. "I shared a shuttle with Lt. Marquez, an Assistant Engineer. She suggested we use the E-Com system in the interim, and I've ordered her to make it operational. We'll hopefully be called in a few minutes. Now, to the senior staff. Many haven't reported aboard as of yet, and I intend to put them straight at readying their departments as soon as Yeoman Bree informs me of their arrival. Would 1200 hours be a suitable time, sir?"

<Tag Maxwell, Jamieson>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Bourne » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:38 pm

Helm/Flight Operations U.S.S Eternity

"Runners..." Sarah interjected. "... Sir's." She paused, regaining some form of composure. "Back in the marines it was standard practise to use runners to carry sensitive information directly to specific people." Sarah watched closely for a reaction from the two senior officers as she continued. "If we station a runner on each deck until communications is completely operational, those people can be responsible for delivering messages to the senior staff, without worry that some one may not be near a terminal?" Her tone lightened at the end, questioning herself as much as the others, this was, after all, the first meeting with the new Commanding Officer and his Executive; Talk about making a crummy first impression, show them how confident you really are, Sar!, she thought, not really understanding what had come over her.

<Tag Maxwell, Byrne>
FSF Bourne

FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby sail3695 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:29 pm

First Officer, USS Eterntiy

"A fine suggestion, Lieutenant," Byrne replied as he considered the possibility of stationing runners on each deck. He pointed toward the Emergency Services panel on the bulkhead near the ready room door. "If we're not getting comm traffic from those panels within 5 minutes, I'll issue orders for runners. At the very least, we'll write that into our E-Proc as a measure of last resort." Inwardly, Colin admired Sarah's confidence in the face of 2 superiors she'd just met. Twenty years ago, a nervous young Lt.jg Colin Byrne would've made a hash of offering such an idea. Upon meeting his CO for the first time, she'd invited him to, "remove the rod and have a seat." Finding himself hopeful that the rest of the bridge crew would be such confidant problem solvers, he was about to return his attention to the Commander when the ES panel behind him came alive.

"Engineering to Captain's Ready Room. Lt. Marquez here. Do you copy?"

At Maxwell's nod, Byrne moved toward the panel, thumbing the "comm" pad. "Ready Room, Lt. Commander Byrne here. We copy. Do we have comms for all decks?"

"Ship-wide, sir," came the reply. "I also met Cmdr. Ra-Havreli, the officer in charge of the sensor pallet installation. He tells me that we should be cleared for full commbadge usage in about 35 minutes."

"Good news, Lt," Byrne replied. "I'll see you shortly for an Engineering status update. Attention all hands," he continued, selecting Shipwide Address on the touch panel, "This is the First Officer. Shipwide communications are restored via the comm system located on your compartment's emergency services panel. We expect full comms restored in 35 minutes. That is all."

<Tag Maxwell, Jamieson>
Dan "sail3695"
sail3695
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Josh » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:05 am

Lieutenant (J.G.) Scott Orlan
Operations Manager, USS Eternity

In the past five years, Scott had served on a variety of assignments. From training on smaller scout-class vessels to serving on a Galaxy-class starship, from a small stint on a lunar colony to his previous assignment at a Federation Starbase, he had seen operations and engineering work on multiple scales. The Sovereign-class vessel he now was assigned to, in his mind, seemed like a mobile starbase. The size of the ship, as well as the number of people that were currently working on it, although being mostly dock workers, made the transition quite easy for him.

His previous assignment, serving as an operations assistant at Starbase 74, had kept him occupied quite a bit. Starbase 74 was a busy stopping point for ships being refitted and upgraded. With the Bynars relatively close by, much of the work done on vessels by the Starfleet Operational Support Services tended to include software and hardware maintenance and upgrades. Ships would regularly come and go for these refits and upgrades, especially if they were damaged in battle. Ultimately, this lead to Scott's two year assignment at the facility to be a very busy one, one that had lead to him learning much about various starships.

In hopes of learning just as much about his new assignment as his last, he had made sure to arrive early enough to assist with final preparations. He was hoping to make a good impression with his new commanding officer, and working hard at one's assignment is always a good way to leave such an impression.

With some data readings regarding regular power distribution settings in hand, the Lieutenant stepped off onto the bridge, a place he had last been at a few hours ago. He was already familiar with the operations station of such a vessel, though this would be the first time he would be serving as operations manager.

Scott was almost at the operations station when he heard a voice over the internal comms. "This is the First Officer. Shipwide communications are restored via the comm system located on your compartment's emergency services panel. We expect full comms restored in 35 minutes. That is all." A small smile came to him as the comm ended. Hearing that meant they were likely closer to launch readiness. The presence of the first officer was a good sign, too.

"The first officer is onboard?" Scott asked a young dock worker on the bridge.

The worker looked up, pausing for a moment. "So is the Captain. I believe they're in the ready room." The worker motioned towards the side of the bridge before returning to his duties.

Looking forward to meeting his new superior, Scott walked over to the ready room, his PADD still in hand. With his few steps towards the door, he quickly brought up some new information, pulling up some data to share with the Captain. By the time the screen was ready, he was at the door and ringing the chime.

(( Tag: CO ))
Detective Jonathan Smith -- Torchwood: United Front
FSF Communication Director
FSF IRCop / Net Admin
Former Delta Fleet CO
Previous Notable Characters:
Fleet Captain Gregory Talus
--CO USS Providence (Sim Retired, The Story Continues...)
Personal: Site | Twitter
FSF Josh
FSF Host (OO*)

Postby The Writer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:07 am

Commander James Maxwell

ON:
"Seems my open threat wasn't taken lightly," Commander James Maxwell stated to himself with news that the coms would be back up to par in 35 minutes. He nodded in agreement to Lieutenant Jamieson's regard for setting up runners should the Eternity find itself within the same predicament again. "Lieutenant set that up with the Ops Chief, I'm sure he'll have some ideas on the subject to improve the concept. You might want to consult with Security Chief Lieutenant Conner on this as well. Obviously our Security Detachment aren't Marines, but I'm sure the concept won't be lost on them," the Commander concluded, noting that his tone with regard to Security was a bit zealous.

He turned over to the Byrne, who had begun work placing the panel back on the wall to route the commands to the desktop. Maxwell didn't mind initiative, as long as it didn't hamper his command, and it seemed that the First Officer was experienced enough. "Number one, I want you to work with Engineering on getting us up to spec, I don't want anything left to dock workers. Crew checks only after the dock is done with us, and I don't want any of the Starbase's personnel leaving until every single station is checked by our personnel. I want simulation tests on navigation, sensors, and tactical done before 1200 hours, no excuses. We will have the senior staff meeting at the regarded time, everyone will check in and the mission briefed."

<<Tag Jamieson, Byrne>>

To his final statement, the door chimed. "Enter," the Commander called.

<<Tag Orlan>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby FSF Bourne » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:40 pm

"Aye sir," Sarah beamed, she whipped out her personal PADD and noted her orders. No, She thought as she finished up, They are definitely not marines. "If you don't mind, sir," Sarah added before the extra body entered the room. "It's going to get awful crowded in here soon with all your staff reporting in, I was hoping to make my station ready and get set up before we were underway?" She was, of course, asking to be dismissed, her sideways, nervous shunt caused a slight flicker in her eyes as she broke eye contact momentarily. Sarah had dealt with many things but being an officer on a starship was all new to her, this new assignment was seemingly bringing it's own new challenges; none of these Fleeters would accept her mouthing off or trying to throttle the ship with her fist while in a fit of anger. The ship, luckily, came equipped with it's own holodeck and as such, would allow for some constructive anger management.

<Tag Maxwell>
FSF Bourne

FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby The Writer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Commander James Maxwell

ON:
"Understandable LT," Commander Maxwell proclaimed to the Flight Officer, "I'm going to also have you set up shop on the Flight Decks, the Dock Officer in charge is, competent, but nowhere near my standards and has caused a damn fine mess in my shuttle bays. Test run our two Danubes, the Fang and Trident, make sure they aren't skimped on anything and be sure that you run the approval to Lieutenant Commander Byrne."

<<Tag Jamieson>>
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby FSF Josh » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Lieutenant (JG) Scott Orlan
Operations Manager, USS Eternity

With the call to enter, Scott stepped through the ready room door. He saw that there was a group inside already. Nevertheless, he approached the Captain's desk, his PADD at his side. Standing at attention, he addressed his commanding officer. "Captain, Lieutenant Scott Orlan, starship operations. I have an analysis report regarding our readiness status. Outside of the sensor pallet upgrades and the subsystems affected by them, all ship systems appear to be operational and ready for final testing and standardize usage." He handed over the PADD with more detailed information as he concluded his thoughts. "I will be performing final power distribution simulations and will have the results of those ready within the hour."

The lieutenant remained at attention, knowing that his new commanding officer was most likely a by-the-book individual. He was wanting to give a good impression to his superiors, something he had learned from his father before joining the academy.

(( Tag CO, others in the ready room if you so wish ))
Detective Jonathan Smith -- Torchwood: United Front
FSF Communication Director
FSF IRCop / Net Admin
Former Delta Fleet CO
Previous Notable Characters:
Fleet Captain Gregory Talus
--CO USS Providence (Sim Retired, The Story Continues...)
Personal: Site | Twitter
FSF Josh
FSF Host (OO*)

Next

Return to In-Character Roleplay