A Farewell

A forum devoted to providing a resource for members and potential members of ST: Eternity. Contained within are detailed extrapolations of information on elements of importance for the sim as well as a junction for members and visitors to have a forum for discussion out of character.

A Farewell

Postby FSF Gabe » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:24 am

Greetings,

As you will read in our current episode The Order of Eternity we are on the precipice of the episode's conclusion, and my own actually. I've decided with the conclusion of this episode that I'm stepping away from Star Trek Eternity. Reasons are many that I have come to such decisions, some hindrances towards my work schedule increasing with my company's new acquisition, other decisions truely selfish ones as with my work load what little free-time taken is taken on other more enjoyable activities. I have not yet put notice into the FSF on my decision, I believed you all should read it first.

I'd had wrote many "outs" to the Eternity should I wish to turn off at the next exit. These outs were to insure that the story would be allowed to continue should others wish it. By the end of this episode, a blank slate will be made, has been made, you have all had the opportunity to build it In Another Time and Another Place. A place I never have wrote In Character for. In this reality none of my characters can exist because it's free from my influence. Whether this topic serves as a place to write in temporarily until after the holidays or, as the mood strikes you (as was intended when Star Trek Eternity ended), will be up to FSF Sail to decide.

I don't believe my ventures in simming/rpg is at an end, but I do feel that my part in the Eternity's story is. Whether my exit frees up opportunity for story will not be mine to decide upon. If it is to end, then, I feel it ended well..., not to the design I had envisioned, but one that's suitable and satisfactory to me. Really that's all that I could hope for.
Gabriel Logan
YouTube Channel
Creator and FSF Host: Star Trek Eternity
Writer In: The Dead Fall: Safehouse
FSF Gabe
FSF Host (**)

Re: A Farewell

Postby thepariaheffect » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:33 am

Well, I'm sitting here at work, and I can't say that my heart didn't sink a bit reading that. But man, do I ever get it.

It's better to burn out than to fade away, right? It's better to leave on a high note, and I think that's where you're going out. Eternity has been an outstanding game on so many levels, and I've loved the fact that I've never known what was coming. I've loved the fact that the game's let us explore so many things. Hell, I love the fact that it's the first "game" I've played that wasn't it - rather, that it's been a collaborative writing experience that I'm proud to have been a participant in.

It's my hope that, at the very least, this group of writers will stick around and work on something else together. If that means more Eternity, fantastic. If that means taking this dynamic somewhere new, to create something that's just as a crazy, out of this world and driven, then that's great, too.

At the very least, Gabe, enjoy what you move onto next.
Lieutenant Owen Scott and Ensign Calvin Messier
Star Trek: Renaissance
thepariaheffect

Postby Scott Davis » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:55 pm

Damn you Gabe! Just when I get back too! XD No worries sir, I am sure we can all make something :)
Scott Davis

Postby FSF Dragon » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:58 pm

While no longer a member, I do try to follow along a bit... Gabe, you will be missed...
FSF Dragon
Host: Shattered Universe | Mass Effect: Paradise Lost | Specter Defense Services
Boards Director
FSF Dragon
FSF Host (***)

Postby FSF Sail » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:49 pm

As I told Gabe in email, I literally caught his message as I was getting ready to bolt from a hotel room. Now that I'm in another one (greetings from NYC!), I can take a moment to respond.

It's more than a little saddening to realize that our "five year mission" is coming to an end. "Star Trek" Eternity" has been a challenge, a torment, and at it's least, a rigorous exercise of creativity and writing acumen. Long story short, it's been the most enriching interactive writing experience of my life. If possible, I'd write in 'Eternity" for years to come.

But, we know what they say about "all good things."

You can't have the Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger.

So, as GM 2 for "Star Trek: Eternity," I will make the following proposal:

Those who can, write. Gabe has a conclusion in mind for his characters. Join him in seeing that vision through. Once finished, we'll put the sim on pause for Christmas week. Monday, 12/28, the Eternity writers can get together in a group chat or Skype call to talk about any additional conclusion that may be needed, plus any future group efforts. You are all the most gifted group of sim writers I've ever gotten to collaborate with, and I'm grateful for everything you've taught me. We can talk about what comes next after Christmas.

Gabe, this was all your doing, your brainchild. You took us places that none of us could imagine for the characters we write. From the furthest reaches of the galaxy to the very soul of humanity, "Star Trek" Eternity is so much more than a basic RPG. When you want to come play again, whether in simming, radio, or whatever else we get up to, the day you show up will be a party. Thanks so much for bringing us together.

Dan
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby Kalquien » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:15 pm

This has been the best collaborative writing efforts I have ever been a part of. It has challenged me in ways I never expected. I know that my own efforts have suffered recently for a variety of reasons but I have enjoyed myself immensely. It has been your vision from the start Gabe and a powerful vision you have. Please take care of yourself and I know you will flourish in whatever project next grabs your attention.

I would like to continue in whatever this group does next so look forward to the meeting on the 28th.
"God between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk."
-Captain John Sheridan, B5

Lt. Oscar Blackthorne - Star Trek: Renaissance
Kalquien

Postby Sonja Kinnunen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:50 pm

It wasn't the conclusion you originally wanted, Gabe, but I'm glad you could find a good point for the transition wherever the stories may take you. It takes a lot of effort to plan and implement a story; and everyone here's appreciated all the time and creativity you put into the Eternity to keep it steadily moving forward.

I also appreciate all the work and ideas everyone's poured into the game. RPGs are nothing without their participants' engagement.
Sonja Kinnunen
Veteran Member

Postby The Gnostic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Say it ain't so.
The Gnostic

Postby Janice Lacey James » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Gabe,
Through all the trials of Daily life on board Eternity you have written some top notch posts that at times had me both jumping for joy, and pulling out the box of tissues. It has been an honor to be a part of your story. I am saddened by the news that you are leaving us, but I can certainly understand the need to step back at this time in your hectic life. I believe that I have become a much better writer here on Eternity with the help of ALL the members. Thank you for introducing us to Eternity, and our characters.

I can honestly say that you will be dearly missed.

May God pour his favor upon you in all that you do.
MSgt. Jamie Lynn Stathem, 2nd Support Detachment NCOIC; USS Cadecus
Lt Jg. Janice Lacey, Chief Science Officer (CSCI); USS Atlantis
Lt Janelle James, Counselor; USS Eternity-B (TDY USS Hope)
Lt Jg.(acting) Jamie Morrison,Intel; USS Independence
Lt. Meghan Amalia Steele, Eng Consultant, Shattered Universe
Janice Lacey James

Postby FSF Sail » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:59 am

Now is the time.

As I stand here, keys in hand, about to flip off the final light switch before locking the door, I find myself taken with a range of emotions. I don't need to detail them by running my feelings through the public wringer; I've heard enough from our longterm members to know that the emotions I feel are broadly shared.

"We come not to praise Caesar, but to bury him."

The praise has been voiced many times over, the gratitude expressed. Laurels have been laid, and now, it's all down to me, the final actions quite simple. Tonight, the crew move on. It's a happy footnote to the story that all of our current writers have chosen to stick together. All of their characters "got out alive," and have further stories to tell in our new environment. Given the talent they possess, my confidence is high that we'll find new adventures together. Scott Davis, Col. Kholhr, Henry Okafor, Oscar Blackthorne, Calmest, Genevieve Cotillard, Janelle James, Rostham, Brett Reese, Colin Byrne, Owen Scott, Amelia Moore, Anam Farooqi, Marisol Hocevar, Talla Vreenak, will all have the opportunity to carry forth the new venture together, and I'm keen to see the stories they tell. Thus, the living.

As I stand here, gazing upon the darkened corners of my chosen sim for the past 5 years, I'm seeing the ghosts, characters whose lives were cut short as writers moved on, or sacrificed to the greater story. Jean Baptiste. Sion "Xatrix" Logan. Lt. Halverson. Joanna Jamieson. Jon Harmon. Gabriel "Matrix" Logan. EMH Mk IV-"Dr. Doug." Hmra Etal. Sorveck. James Maxwell. Sarah Jamieson. There are more, not to mention a host of NPC characters who lent color and definition to the stories we told in this place. Their contributions were smart, funny, heartbreaking, brutal, and frequently quite brilliant.

I've been told by people who occasionally lurked the sim that "Eternity is just too dark......you've taken it so far that I can barely recognize a Star Trek influence." We took that as a compliment. I don't think it's presumptuous to say that the kind of writing we did in "Star Trek: Eternity" did, in fact, break new ground. That we were quite dark went without saying. But through the exploration of that darkness, I also think it's not arrogant to say that as writers, we were not only given a broader, untrodden playing field, but were enticed and compelled by the work of our peers to test the new ground.

For better or worse, that is the takeaway.

As writers, we'll either build upon this time and move on to greater work, fall back into the mundane realms of "canon," or simply tread prosaic water until our imaginations are fired once more. As the remaining host to this astonishing group off individuals, I am mindful of the responsibility, and I feel the weight of "Eternity's" challenge. Time to straighten my uniform, flip the switch, and lock the door.

Goodbye, "Star Trek: Eternity." You were awesome.
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Return to Lounge