S03E01 - "Shadows and Symbols"

Where the staff of Torchwood: United Front comes to post their in-game posts.

S03E01 - "Shadows and Symbols"

Postby FSF Josh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:18 pm

OOC: This is a teaser post for our next story. I'm hoping to do this will all future stories.

As stated in the OOC forum, I'll be keeping the final season 2 story open to flesh out our coming together. This story will assume that most of us have come together and have agreed to work together to figure out why UNIT turned on Torchwood and tried to wipe them out completely.

--
Summary:
With an understanding of Torchwood's purpose for existing, and with Detective Jon Smith's accidental entry into its ranks, the new team seeks to establish itself to learn more about UNIT's reasons for coming after them. And what role will those names listed on the files in Torchwood's Joliet base play?

IC:

Somewhere near Indianapolis, IN
January 17, 2014 - 8:00 AM

The early morning sun shone brightly on the backs of two young military officers. Both were walking to a large warehouse. The building seemed plain and ordinary on the outside, but the high-security keypad at the side door would instantly give away a different impression.

One of the officers entered in a key code and scanned his ID before letting them both in. Once the door squeaked close, he glanced at his companion. "You didn't get any further with the development yesterday, did you?" he asked as they turned a corner towards a set of offices.

The other shook his head. "No. I ran some numbers last night and think I know what was wrong. But I won't know until I can actually get into the simulator."

They both entered an office with a large glass window, allowing them to view what was in the warehouse. Over a dozen scientists in white lab coats were working at a series of panels near a power generator. Wires and cables connected it to the offices, where men ran simulations on various programs. In the center of the warehouse was a group of engineers who were trying to assemble some heavy machinery.

While the two lieutenants settled in, their boss entered. "Good. I'm glad you're here. I've been told to move up our time table. We need to get this working sooner than we thought."

The two looked up at him. "Sooner? They do know how complex this is, right?"

The general grunted. "Why wouldn't they? Where do you think we got it?"

All three of them turned to look at the device in the center of the warehouse, a massive alien communication device just waiting to be turned on.
Detective Jonathan Smith -- Torchwood: United Front
FSF Communication Director
FSF IRCop / Net Admin
Former Delta Fleet CO
Previous Notable Characters:
Fleet Captain Gregory Talus
--CO USS Providence (Sim Retired, The Story Continues...)
Personal: Site | Twitter
FSF Josh
FSF Host (OO*)

Re: S03E01 - "Shadows and Symbols"

Postby FSF Josh » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:37 pm

OOC: This will help set up some of our information. To fill in the details, please continue to use the "Cover Up" story thread.

As we begin this, pretty much everyone except for one, Verity Foreman, will be with the team. Foreman will join our gang during the story.

IC:

With many questions still left unanswered, the Torchwood team, plus their new members, are on their way to Indianapolis. Several clues have lead them on the way.

First, in a Torchwood hideout in Joliet, IL were folders containing the names and information of several individuals, including Detective Smith. These folders had been packaged and sent anonymously by someone seemingly in charge of Torchwood, with orders to track them down and recruit them. Second, a cryptic message on a secret Torchwood channel told existing members to go to Indianapolis to discover what UNIT is up to.

Now, trying to find answers, the newly formed team has gathered at a secret Torchwood safe house in downtown Indianapolis. This small hovel provides temporary shelter and limited equipment for the team that is still trying to stay covert while getting itself put together.
FSF IRCop / Net Admin
Former Delta Fleet CO
FSF Josh
FSF Host (OO*)

Postby FSF Josh » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:05 pm

OOC: I've held this off long enough. It's time to open this up and keep building up our new team.

IC:

Somewhere secret, downtown Indianapolis, Indiana
January 30, 2014 - 9:50 PM

The cryptic message that had hinted at a secret UNIT project in Indianapolis has brought the newly gathered team together in hopes of finding some answers. Staying undercover while doing so might be difficult, especially given UNIT's stance towards Torchwood. While operating under the Torchwood banner, whether official members or recent associates, they couldn't share their loyalties to anyone. No one could be trusted.

The modest base that did exist in downtown Indianapolis occupied a three-story office building. It was officially owned by a small tech company, one that did local software development. The company only owned the building and a few online assets, and there was no record that any of it wasn't legit. At least, nothing that UNIT knew of as yet.

Inside the building were the typical features of a development company. ID badges were required for building access, and numerous cubicles, offices, and conference rooms were the common sight. Behind one office, however, was a secret entrance, giving way to a portion of the building that ultimately hid several more offices, a lunch room, an armory, and access to a basement level that was not on any blueprints. The building itself was empty. The only resident was someone at reception, and upon their entry, it was quickly determined that the receptionist was a hologram. Only the valid Torchwood badges that had come by means of Roman and Smith (which in reality wasn't even his) let the team enter. Once in the building, it was virtually theres. The "public" areas were still of use, but for now, the team was remaining in the secret areas.

With everyone in the lunch room, Smith took a deep breath and opened up to everyone. "Before we go any further, even though we've already gone about 200 miles to get here, I wanted to say thank you. I know for some, you're wanting answers to the questions that plague you. Why are we together?" He looked at Roman as he asked the next few questions. "Who gave Torchwood our names and files? And what is UNIT up to that they're so intent on covering everything up?" He looked back at everyone. "Hopefully, we'll get some answers."

At this point, since Roman was a resident Torchwood member, he opened it up for him to make any remarks. If there weren't any, then Smith would proceed with an overview of the information that they had.

OOC: I'm hoping we'll get a little dialogue going as we detail what we're doing here. I'm looking forward to everyone's posts!
FSF IRCop / Net Admin
Former Delta Fleet CO
FSF Josh
FSF Host (OO*)

Postby claudia_johnson » Sat May 31, 2014 10:24 pm

Dr.Verity Forman
Professor of Philosophy, Northwestern University

Indianapolis. It hadn't changed in all the years she had known it. Her plane flight from O'Hare wasn't to her liking. She remembered that the next time she would travel she would take the amtrak. A car pulled up and she politely nodded as she entered the vehicle. Withing 20 minutes she would be on campus and in a nice hotel room, preparing for her speech the next day.
"I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way" Jessica Rabbit

"Faith is a torment, did you know that? Its like loving someone in the darkness who never answers no matter how loud you call" Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal.
claudia_johnson

Postby claudia_johnson » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Dr. Verity Forman
Professor of Philosophy, Northwestern University

The speech went well. Her topic of discussion for the day was Saint Thomas and moral theology which brought together an interesting mix of students, academics, and priests for discussion. Verity was glad when the day had finished and she made her way to her hotel. There was one odd thing, however. Several times during the day she had seen this man in a black suite. She thought nothing of it at first until he began arriving everywhere she was at. She wondered if she was being followed but she didn't have the courage to ask.

<Open Tag>
"I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way" Jessica Rabbit

"Faith is a torment, did you know that? Its like loving someone in the darkness who never answers no matter how loud you call" Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal.
claudia_johnson

Return to In-Character Roleplay