Mistakes and Fear - ADVICE PLEASE -

Need help with life's little issues? Ask the FSF community!

Mistakes and Fear - ADVICE PLEASE -

Postby FSF Ignatius » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:30 pm

I've spent the better part of four and a half years studying various topics in college. I started out as an engineering student with a hope of specializing in computers. I found the work dull and numbing. I found my soul being called away. I needed to be real and I needed something worthwhile. So when I took a summer course in philosophy I grabbed hold of the field and I through myself into as deeply as I could. I've never had regrets until recently. I've realized that my pursuit of "wisdom" was an escape from modernity (an escape that simple cannot be accomplished). I'm going into my senior year with little love or interest in the field I have chosen and I find myself wondering why I never entered the field that I find passion: Composition and Literature. I guess I'm seeking advice. How do you decide what you're going to do following college? Certainly for someone like myself the obvious conclusion is to seek an advanced degree at the graduate level. What do you study? Do you continue down the road that you've chosen previously or do you take a risk and apply for a program far outside of where you've spent your academic career? Or do you think what I could be experiencing is simply fear about moving forward in a years time?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I've found myself in a bit of a rut and I've got deadlines for applications coming up throughout the semester....
GM1 USS Stargazer
FSF Ignatius
FSF Host (*)

Re: Mistakes and Fear - ADVICE PLEASE -

Postby Michael Hill » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:57 am

FSF Ignatius wrote:Or do you think what I could be experiencing is simply fear about moving forward in a years time?

Yup.

I recommend getting your MBA. That said, do whatever you can to avoid getting stuck in a cube all day. It will steal your soul. Also, cherish the time you have left for the deep thinking, zany ideas, and binge drinking college has to offer. When it's gone, it's gone and then it's soul-sucking cube life!
Michael Hill

Postby FSF Sail » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:40 pm

There's alot of truth in what Mike said, and I agree with his opinion about your pursuing a Master's. That said, if I were in your shoes, I'd ask myself just what my college philosophy is? Am I -

A: studying to get a taste of a particular art, science, or pursuit that will become an enriched hobby when I check into the real world?
B: drinking deeply from "the cup of life," exploring as many worlds and disciplines as my imagination dictates in order to find my true passion?
C: Using college strictly as a career prep?

Only you can answer for yourself. As I tell the college sophomore in my house, "you are the captain of your life."

Because I'm an old guy, I'll run off at the mouth with one more opinion. As Mike sagely put it, "don't let yourself get trapped in a cube." I'll take that one step further to suggest that you not be in a hurry to check into so called "real life." Study, explore, travel. Drink beer with Irishmen, and coffee with Kurds. Do a hitch in the Peace Corps, and volunteer to help folks out here in the US when you're done. Hang with hippies, bikers, migrant workers, college professors, and ordained ministers. There's an amazing planet before your feet. Now, while you're free to do so, go take a look, and you might just find your place in it. There's plenty of time to strap yourself down with mortgages, car notes, and Fico scores.
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby thepariaheffect » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:24 pm

So...college is scary, yeah? Especially when you over-think it. The plans you make then rarely blossom into something you'll be able to identify in the future. It's scary as all hell, and the world outside is even scarier.

I went into college as a Psych major. After bouncing around for a bit, I ended up majoring in History. I loved the subject, but it was just a stepping stone to what I thought would be a "good" future (i.e., making money). From there, I went to law school. When I graduated, I realized that I hated the law and I was just kind of...lost. I bounced around more before going back to get the degree I should've gotten in the first place. There are days - usually when the loan bills are due - that I regret that. But honestly? What was said above holds true - it's that bouncing around that really gives your life more flavor. While I was trying to figure out what the hell I was going to be when I grew up, I moved across the country. I wrote a book. I organized a 4th of July celebration for an entire city. I was interrogated by a pair of detectives. I made money as a writer, as a clerk, as a tutor. I had wonderful and awful experiences that I only got because I was able to stop focusing on what I was going to be and had to deal with what was.

Don't get get a degree in English, unless you want to be an English teacher. Don't go get a Master's, unless you really want to pursue that subject. Do finish up your BA, and take some time to figure out what makes you happy in life. Then do that. Just don't miss all the other stuff.
Lieutenant Owen Scott and Ensign Calvin Messier
Star Trek: Renaissance
thepariaheffect

Return to Advice