Laws?

Need help with life's little issues? Ask the FSF community!

Laws?

Postby Maria Xon » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:14 am

Alright, recently a friend of mine proposed an idea for a clothing store. She wants to purchase clearance clothes at a low price and then change or alter the appearnce of them in some way, then re-sell them.

Is there a law agaisnt this or would this idea work? I have tried to research things for her, but I am only limited with knowledge in this area. If you have any advice, suggestions, or comments please let me know.

Thanks,
Maria
Maria Xon

Postby AdmShuni » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:05 pm

There is absolutely no law against this. This is the nature of business. You buy material, insert some kind of service, and then sell the finished product.
Jonathan Shuni
Above All, Have Fun...
My Blog.
"Instead of valuing the unique nature of each person regardless of who they are, we seek the reasons for why they are the way they are so that we can in turn control the outcome." - J
AdmShuni
FSF Host (OOOO*)

Postby Maria Xon » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:11 pm

Thank you for your advice. I will continue to look around, but that is good news. Thank you again!
Maria Xon

Thoughts...

Postby Maria Xon » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:33 am

So it would be okay for her to buy a shirt and pants then add her own touch to them... remove the tags and sell them herself? Just wondering she is driving me a little crazy.. :wink:
Maria Xon

Postby Orius » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:27 pm

Yes. People do just that all the time: they go to vintage or second hand stores, buy something, refurbish it at minimal cost, and then double the price. There is nothing illegal about it.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Orius
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Lt. Leon Kensington » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:32 pm

Ya, look some furniture stores. They go to thrift stores, get an old designer couch and redo them for little to nothing and then resell and make a small fortune.
2nd Lt. Leon Kensington- SGC SG2
Staff Sarge Vicent "Jake" McCoy- SGC SG3
Time is a circle, what changes is the circle you are on.
--Me
Lt. Leon Kensington

Postby firerater » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:18 am

As far as I know, it's only illegal if you buy said things and do absolutely nothing to them then sell them at a highly marked up price...because then you can't claim that they're something you made originally. ;)
Master Chief Petty Officer Sevok Admiral's Aide USS Independence Gunnery Sergeant Demlas Vrees Infantry Lead RAS Paragon
firerater
Veteran Member

Postby AdmShuni » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:27 am

Correct, but you can sell it at the same or lower price if you haven't changed anything about it. People do that all the time on eBay.
Jonathan Shuni
Above All, Have Fun...
My Blog.
"Instead of valuing the unique nature of each person regardless of who they are, we seek the reasons for why they are the way they are so that we can in turn control the outcome." - J
AdmShuni
FSF Host (OOOO*)

Postby FSF Starla » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:47 pm

I have a small studio in my home....and run a business here... a part of the business is to design and paint original work on T-shirts. I purchase the plain shirts and put my artwork on them.....and sell them at a profit....nothing wrong with that... :D Totally legal...
FSF Starla
FSF Host (O*)

Postby Thane M Westwood » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Looks like a very interesting idea, and I'm almost positive Shuni's correct... I'd just be careful about labels?
Thane Mykal Westwood
Marine Officer
Deep Space 9
Thane M Westwood

Return to Advice