Engineering and Ops Q/A Board

Useful information & discussions for the Engineering & Operations departments that might help affect or improve your simming experience!

Engineering and Ops Q/A Board

Postby claudia_johnson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:32 am

It has come to my attention as I talk to a few members of FSF here and there that sometimes running or assisting in an engineering department can be difficult at times during plot lines that move away from the department. The purpose of this board is to have more experienced simmers give guidance to new members and people new to engineering departments help and resources of information in regards to Star Trek engineering. Below is a link to another posting (by Josh Davis. Help me out alot when I first joined) that is a valuable tool for people new to engineering: the engineers bible.

viewtopic.php?f=199&t=30470

Feel free to ask questions or answer questions!
"I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way" Jessica Rabbit

"Faith is a torment, did you know that? Its like loving someone in the darkness who never answers no matter how loud you call" Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal.
claudia_johnson

Re: Engineering and Ops Q/A Board

Postby FSF Sail » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:49 pm

This was a good thread.

I currently write a chief engineer aboard an Intrepid Class. The challenge for anyone writing an Engineer (especially if there are no assists) is just to come up with enough techspeak and NPC's to keep the world interesting. For the longest time, the ship was a wreck that the crew stole from the Borg, so Marisol (my engr) had more then enough to keep her busy round the clock. Now, through the magic of ST and a whole lot of nanotech, the ship has been restored to design spec. It remains to be seen how busy I can keep her and her team of NPC's.
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby claudia_johnson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:49 pm

I am sure that is pretty complex sometimes. On Andromeda we have some interesting stuff going on. I play an assistant engineer. We keep losing engineers. I think we've had two or three that have left since I first joined Andromeda. Sometimes when the chief has stuff going on I need to use a NPC I have had on reserve for a while. And while I really like my NPC (He has appeared in almost every log I have written for Andromeda) it's much nicer to have more people to interact with.

"Faith is a torment, did you know that? Its like loving someone in the darkness who never answers no matter how loud you call" Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal.
claudia_johnson

Postby FSF Sail » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:58 pm

I liken it to medical, in that your duty post is removed from the bridge, and you often have to write your own stories, until someone brings something (or someone) that's broken to your attention.

What I love about engineering is the freedom to imagine process and application. Through Marisol, I've gotten to do things as simple as creating user interfaces for a new device installed aboard ship, to jumping into particle physics by developing a tetryon particle mask for the ship's warp trail. She's gotten to cut and splice conduit, develop routing matrices for EPS power, and restore injector couplings to the warp core. The fun of all this is that by really thinking your way into the systems of a starship, for an engineer, the ship herself becomes a living, breathing character.

Before Marisol stirred my consciousness, I was only ever interested in writing command staff or fighter jocks. The challenges of writing her, both as a chief engineer, and also as a convincing and realistic woman, have been great, and very rewarding. At present, she is my most favored character.
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Postby huhwhatfer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:07 am

As someone who has not to long ago starting pretending to be an Engineer... I'm glad to see this thread.
Cmdr Harrad Marek - Chief Intelligence Officer - USS Ghost Rider
Lt. (jg) Niel Howley - Chief Engineering Officer - USS Firewall
Urdnot Chatok - Krogan Soldier - Mass Effect: Paradise Lost
huhwhatfer

Postby claudia_johnson » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:48 pm

::Laughing:: Well I may be relatively new to the engineering concepts but I can say that I don't have to be the person to answer questions,lol. It could be more experienced players. I figured this could be a good thread for say general information,lol.
Last edited by claudia_johnson on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claudia_johnson

Postby Warhawk225 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:23 pm

YES. Thank you, lol.
Alexander Wu, Major(O-4) (Stargate Command)/Thomas Chu, Warrant Officer(E-6), SG-4 Team Leader (Stargate Command)/Derek Black, Chief Petty Officer, AENG (USS Firewall)
Warhawk225
Veteran Member

Postby huhwhatfer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:51 am

I find that knowing how to make stuff sound techy helps cover up the fact that I know next to nothing about Star Trek Engineering... It also probably doesn't hurt that I know how to turn a wrench IRL.
Cmdr Harrad Marek - Chief Intelligence Officer - USS Ghost Rider
Lt. (jg) Niel Howley - Chief Engineering Officer - USS Firewall
Urdnot Chatok - Krogan Soldier - Mass Effect: Paradise Lost
huhwhatfer

Postby FSF Dragon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:31 am

yeah, a basic knowledge of mechanics can help you make things sound more techy... Mechanics use it all the time to make things sound more complicated then they are... we don't want you to know we can fix the problem in 5 minutes... we want you to think we had to stretch our minds and bodies to the limit... then tell you don't worry about it... so we look like hero's... Pretty sure that's Engineering / Mechanics everywhere that pull that... ;-)
FSF Dragon
Host: Shattered Universe | Mass Effect: Paradise Lost | Specter Defense Services
Boards Director
FSF Dragon
FSF Host (O)

Return to Depts - Eng & Ops