Eng/Ops - What to do when you're bored?

Useful information & discussions for the Engineering & Operations departments that might help affect or improve your simming experience!

Eng/Ops - What to do when you're bored?

Postby FSF Hawg » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:50 am

I'm asking this separately in all three of the major fields to keep them specific to each field. Not all plots can have a major role for each department type. So, when Eng/Ops doesn't have a lot going on, what do you do to pass the time and stay active? Or do you find yourself zoning out and not participating as much?
FSF Hawg
FSF Host (Retired)

Re: Eng/Ops - What to do when you're bored?

Postby FSF Dragon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Watching other members... I notice a lot of zoning out, and less participation by some of the less creative members... On one of the games I was on awhile back, one of the members I had did this elaborate 4 page ((1 a week)) post where he blew up the ship over the course of the month... then at the end of it ((the hosts were freaking out)) he ended the holodeck simulation, and returned to engineering... it was interesting.
FSF Dragon
Host: Shattered Universe | Mass Effect: Paradise Lost | Specter Defense Services
Boards Director
FSF Dragon
FSF Host (O)

Postby FSF Bri » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Yeah, I'd probably do something similar and blow up a portion of the ship so that I could repair it, but ideally, I'd be on an away team with the mission of blowing up someone or something else that isn't friendly.
Captain Sorjei ch'Thalev, Commanding Officer, USS Akira-C Image
Commodore Brian O'Neil, Director, Special Projects Image
Epsilon Fleet Executive Officer; Awards Director
"You assume I give a damn. That's cute" - Commander Shepard, Mass Effect
"I have faith in nothing but this - when the universe collapses and dies, there will be three survivors - Tyr Anasazi, the cockroaches, and Dylan Hunt, trying to save the cockroaches." - Tyr Anasazi
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Who » Tue May 01, 2012 10:34 am

I'd either do some kind of character development (I know...shut up already!) or as an Engineer there's no end to the variety of pet projects or regular maintenance that can occur around the ship, places need cleaning, iso chips need replacing. A replicator in the mess hall is putting out chicken soup instead of coffee, or perhaps if feeling mischievous I had an engineer at one time program a replicator to put out only Dr Pepper, and also accidentally cause the new holoemitters on the bridge to turn it into a jungle. (though that was an overall down sim).
FSF Who
FSF CoO || Space Fleet FCO || GM: Star Wars: Paragon || GM: Star Wars: Shadow Squadron
FSF Who
FSF Host (OO****)

Postby FSF Hawg » Tue May 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Ya'll are like broken records. lol Specific actions for each Dept are what I am really looking for, or else these three topics could have just been one single topic.

I am one that doesn't play ENG depts often, as I can't think in techno babble very well. I like the idea of replacing ISO chips, or replicator maintenance though.
FSF Hawg
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Blackjack » Wed May 23, 2012 12:41 am

I often have my Eng chars go crawling around in the Jeffries tubes when they've got nothing better to do. Lots of fun/trouble to be had there.
Rosalind Wills {FSF Blackjack}
Star Trek: Andromeda Co-Founder and Chief Operations Manager
AIM: fsfblackjack
E-MAIL: fsfblackjack@sb254.com
Blog: Hit Me and Double Down

Captain Jenna Wolfe (CO, Star Trek: Andromeda)
Ensign Nicholas Swift (ASCI, Star Trek: Andromeda)
Dr. Kyra Gretin (AMO, USS Stargazer)
Dr. Dana Armstrong (AMO, USS Akira)
Sgt. Alexis Durham (ETSci, Torchwood: United Front)
Ens. Samantha Kent (ASCI, Project Origin)
FSF Blackjack
FSF Host (O*)

Postby FSF Hawg » Wed May 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Can you be more specific? Are they playing hide & seek or what? :D
FSF Hawg
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Dragon » Wed May 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Getting lost, finding the dead bodies people hide there, checking on there stash of gold pressed latinum.

One of my friends who I've been simming with for a long time has just decided to try Engineering... and since the game has no other engineers, he's going to be the CENG... I think it'll be interesting.
FSF Dragon
Host: Shattered Universe | Mass Effect: Paradise Lost | Specter Defense Services
Boards Director
FSF Dragon
FSF Host (O)

Postby Ramsay » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:42 pm

I tried too come up with an answer when I could not... I left the department.
Lt. Carson Irvine Walker US Army SG4, Stargate Command.
Staff Sergeant Maddison Howell USAF SG5, Stargate Command, Delta Fleet
Ramsay
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Bri » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:35 pm

It does seem kind of weird that Engineering and Ops can oftentimes be one of the least active departments in terms of the plot. The cool thing about Engineering though and probably the reason I typically went that path with my chars is that regardless of the plot, you could pretty much always come up with a solution to whatever predicament your ship got itself into, and you almost always need an engineer on an away team. Ops is difficult. In the "real world", they would always have something to do or to look over, but in a sim... those things aren't always necessary or needed. I did a guest spot on the Provi as Ops recently, and contributed what I could, but I mostly just threw in some jokes, yelled out some ideas, and that was about it. Of course, that's more typical of what you'd do as a guest, maybe less so as a fully assigned ops officer. :)
Captain Sorjei ch'Thalev, Commanding Officer, USS Akira-C Image
Commodore Brian O'Neil, Director, Special Projects Image
Epsilon Fleet Executive Officer; Awards Director
"You assume I give a damn. That's cute" - Commander Shepard, Mass Effect
"I have faith in nothing but this - when the universe collapses and dies, there will be three survivors - Tyr Anasazi, the cockroaches, and Dylan Hunt, trying to save the cockroaches." - Tyr Anasazi
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Hawg » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:06 am

Helm is the same way as Ops. If the ship isn't moving, there is often little to do. But, if a person can play either of those positions and make it fun (not only for themselves, but for the crew), then they can actually be great positions to play.
FSF Hawg
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Lensman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:31 pm

I have had the good fortune when playing engineers and especially chief engineers to have hosts willing to find me several episodes' worth of things to keep on top of. Failing that, I compile maintenance manuals (been known to send messages to BuEngineering about issues), tinker on different things (EVERY large machine will have two or three dozen things needing attention at a given watch), or read tech journals.
"Jarnevon of the Eich? You mean there was a PLANET there? Oops..."
--unknown Galactic Patrol fire-control officer.
FSF Lensman
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Ari » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:33 pm

One of My ENG charries used the off time to fall in love with her co-worker. You'd never believe the steaminess of the private logs that we'd never show anyone, a supernova would be an iceberg in comparison :love:
Ari
Post Guru

Postby FSF Ward » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:57 am

What do I do when I am bored...

Well when Bri and members of the crew aren't destroying whole sections of our now decommissioned ship (Rest is peace Akira-B) I spend most of my time making the bridge look good with my presence... Heck, every once in a while Bri lets me sit in the big chair so that can be exciting. Other than that, the normal engineering stuff... when I have assistants we might all do something.

On Andromeda Blackjack and Margo keep me pretty busy... don't have time to get bored. Heck last time I was a little slow they blew up half the ship's power grid on me... I took notes not to be to slow that day for fear I might lose a limb next time.
Chief Logistics Officer
FSF Ward
FSF Host (****)

Postby FSF Meushell » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Haven't played in Ops in 12 years, but when I did, there was a lot of...

::taps at console::
::tap, tap, tap, tap::
::fingers move over console::
::reads reports::
::writes report::
::braids hair::

Mostly though, I had my char start conversations with other bridge members.
Stargate Command
Crystal WoodNalada & NikasAvrel & ValakDavet & LyzekTerrah & KeshetTerron & Yagmur
Shattered Universe - USS Firewall
Frida sh'NemesEi'tan th'Nemes
Shattered Universe - Ghost Rider
Elda Jarok
FSF Meushell
FSF Host (**)

Postby Ari » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:24 am

Well you can always work on recalibrating the tools or repairing them and making sure they are within the tolerances specified. After all, what are you going to do if the motor on the power drill goes out and you still have another 43 mm to go through the steel bulkhead?
Ari
Post Guru

Postby FSF Sail » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

In my experience, I've found that an engineer can be the best "reality injector" aboard a ship.

Engineering covers every system, from the hull to the engines, weapons, and even the toilets. There's always something to break down on a large ship. My current engineer, Marisol Hocevar, has had to step in to remind captain and crew that repairing battle damage takes time and resources, especially when you have to cannibalize your own ship to do so. You don't just find dilitheum lying around (our final crystal is little more than a shard with about 2% of it's operational life remaining.) Of course, stranded in the Delta quad as we are, we have to beg, borrow, and steal to keep the old girl flying.
FSF Sail (Just Dan)

Return to Depts - Eng & Ops