Trans-Warp

Useful information & discussions for the Engineering & Operations departments that might help affect or improve your simming experience!

Trans-Warp

Postby FSF Esrom » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:16 pm

I've noticed the use of Trans-Warp has become more popular. Would any of our more technically minded members care to elaborate on it's specifications and availability?

I am going on on a limb and assuming it is tied into the regular warp systems somehow.
FSF ESROM
GM: ISS TYRANNY * USS Cadecus/USS Stagazer SFOL * USS Phoenix
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Re: Trans-Warp

Postby FSF EBK » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:07 pm

You know that's a strange one. Technically Transwarp first appeared in Star Trek III, when the USS Excelsior was equipped with it, but the drive was disabled by Scotty before he headed with Kirk and the others to go save Spock, and it was never explained how it worked. We didn't actually see Transwarp drive in action until Voyager encountered the Borg and 7 of 9 took Voyager through a transwarp conduit and into the realm of Species 8472. After that, it was the Transwarp Coil that was equipped first to the Delta Flyer and then to Voyager.

What Tom Paris did was to break the "transwarp barrier," which is different because it uses conventional warp engines to generate much faster speeds, and as we saw it wasn't really safe cause he ended up mutating

As far as how it works when a Transwarp Drive is equipped it essentially generates a conduit, that allows a vessel to travel much faster than conventional warp. This is similar to how the Borg did it, by projecting a conduit in front of them using their deflector.

So it IS tied to the warp systems through the coil, but to project a transwarp conduit (if one doesn't exist for you travel through the way that the Borg had the transwarp network), you have to use a deflector dish the same way the Borg do
FSF EBK
Retired Host

Commanding Officer - U.S.S Independence (Ret)
"Don't be a great man just be a man. Let history make its own judgments"
-Dr. Zephram Cochrane 2073
FSF EBK
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Lensman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:33 pm

I'd be inclined to agree with BK as to how it works. Normal warp drive allows access to the "Cochrane Subset", which pretzel-bends normal space such that lightspeed becomes a variable. Transwarp drive seems to go another step and 'clear the Subset out of the way' to allow much faster speeds.
"Jarnevon of the Eich? You mean there was a PLANET there? Oops..."
--unknown Galactic Patrol fire-control officer.
FSF Lensman
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby jamiestar » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Trans-Warp

Post by FSF Esrom » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:16 pm
I've noticed the use of Trans-Warp has become more popular. Would any of our more technically minded members care to elaborate on it's specifications and availability?

I am going on on a limb and assuming it is tied into the regular warp systems somehow.

The best explanation I’ve heard is - "you’re at every point in the universe at one time" so - you snap in and out of differing points in the galaxy. per say. I actually think that this is the most scientifically sound perception of faster than light speed. Warping space has too many hole theoretically, and so does trans warp, but the current understanding of physics today allows more for "spreading yourself around the universe" more than it allows for subspace, and the ineffable warp field.

The quantum slipstream even has more validity to me, in the nomenclature. Quantum mechanics is very hard to understand, the exact nature of these theories that are being investigated point more towards wormholes, and dimensional loopholes than it does "faster than light travel" I feel that finding a slipstream - a place where a starship can ride the rapids of "quantum space" (subspace, or whatever) where the laws of our "normal space" correlate with the "alternate space" that you could be traveling to.

It’s not just a matter of acceleration anymore, but what happens when you are maneuvering through space-time. It may take a huge amount of energy to move into the quantum realm, but it may take a small amount of energy to maneuver through it when you are there. I have read a book recently that points out that atoms have more of a quantum nature, popping in and out of relity in quantum packets of existance, which speculates that this this we call reality has to come out of a place we cannot percieve, or ever hope to without the aid of synthetic technology.

I know this really doesn’t help explain what you have asked for, but my hope is that you investigate more for yourself, on a reality level, not just a star trek level. you’ll find that truth is much stranger than fiction!

check out neutrinos, tachyons, bradyons, dirac, schroedinger, einstein, max plank, etc. the majors. try and also investigate, the tao of physics, or a book called the dancing wu li masters. this helped me understand a relationship to the quantum realm. more over that I really don’t know jack about physics. and I have a college education - focusing on physics.
jamiestar

Postby Ramsay » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:46 am

Trans-warp in trek... Trans-warp is a term more in regard too a type of drive IE one that breaks the normal Warp limits. normally Starships in trek have a speed limit that would prevent ships like say Voyager from moving across a entire Quadrant in a rapid space of time. This speed causes problems though if you happen too be on a star-ship stuck in say the delta quadrant. or if you are a member of a monstrous ever expressionistic cybernetic communistic species looking too assimilate the entirety of intelligent life. This is where Trans-warp be comes a easy and useful bit of tech because it allows you too popup where you want too be when you need too be IE get home or too the next species of assimilation.
Now there are diffident types of trans-warp. Presumably the Excelsior's Trans warp was a Failed attempt. Although I doubt Mr. Scott was to blame after all they let him continue too serve on star ships and keep his Captain Flagging ( wearing of the Rank of Captain).
The First sighting I think was actually in TOS The Kelvins seemed too have punched the NCC1701 well past the normal warp speed limit allowing a trip that should have taken thousands of years too be predicted too only take hundreds. Although the reason for this never too have been seen again is likely that even this is still primitive.
I suspect that this may have been the Excelsior's Transwar drive point of reference It might be something that the Kelvins used was just not there for the Federation?

The Second Forms are ways around conventional style trans warps.
These Are Delta Quadrant Quantum slipstream and Transwarp Corridors.
Slip steam seems too push a ship beyond the normal subspace field created by warp-drive and into a tunnel of subspace beyond normal warp speeds.
Transwarp Corridors are of a similar nature but are hardened too act like a artificial wormhole at there point of origin . You enter at one end navigate though and then pop up at your destination. they also have Hubs These are places where a ship can move around the galaxy and beyond by transitioning from corridor too corridor kind of like changing trains, Presumably the Hubs used by the borg also act as supply stations and ship yards.
By the end of Voyager Starfleet was making a lot of progress on Transwarp Tech. Based on Tech and discovery's in The delta Quadrant.
Lt. Carson Irvine Walker US Army SG4, Stargate Command.
Staff Sergeant Maddison Howell USAF SG5, Stargate Command, Delta Fleet
Ramsay
Veteran Member

Postby FSF EBK » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:13 pm

The best explanation I’ve heard is - "you’re at every point in the universe at one time" so - you snap in and out of differing points in the galaxy. per say. I actually think that this is the most scientifically sound perception of faster than light speed.

That is only using conventional warp systems, however. Using a trans-warp upgraded drive, it creates almost like a vortex, through which you can travel at much faster speeds. Voyager traveled through a transwarp apature to get back 35,000 lightyears in a matter of minutes
FSF EBK
Retired Host

FSF EBK
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Esrom » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:13 am

So in effect.. the Trans-Warp equipment opens a wormhole to another part of known space?
FSF ESROM
GM: ISS TYRANNY * USS Cadecus/USS Stagazer SFOL * USS Phoenix
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby Ramsay » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Not Quite. Slip stream should also open into unknown space.
I think It's more like A ship using borg Trans warp and Quantum Corridors slipstream more moves a ship from our normal plane of space into a kind of rushing river of subspace, the ship then moves though navigating the currents with the aim of picking the right path too ones destination. these are likely some kind of natural occurrence a sort of network of tunnels though space that can be manipulated in some cases. Were a Worm hole is a point A point B short cut though subspace a ship moving though it though can stop but stays in the worm hole it's is more long term and always open. Slip stream demands the craft be fitted for it and it cannot stop with out risks A worm hole has a break down lane, If you have trouble in slip stream get out before your gone forever.
Ramsay
Veteran Member

Postby FSF EBK » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Right, in "Timeless" Voyager tried using slip-stream but the phase variance de-stabalized the engines and they were tossed at such intense velocity that they had no choice but to attempt to land and they hit the ice at full impact which killed everyone instantly. Harry Kim made a modification that simply collapsed the slip-stream, without affecting the engines, and thus changed history
FSF EBK
Retired Host

FSF EBK
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby The Writer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:01 am

I think Trans-Warp is a term used to describe a ship that has the ability to break warp factor barrier (10). How you do this subject to classifying your starship's FTL drive as ether Warp or Trans-Warp capable.

The Eternity does this via creation of a Tachyon Gate generated by the onboard Tachyon Core which generates the particles and transfers them along the pathway junctions before exiting the ship's deflector dish, creating a pulse followed by the aforementioned "gate," of which the ship enters.

There is a temporal skip or displacement when the Eternity crosses into the gap between space and time (the allowability of one point being compressed into several spaces i.e. what jamiestar described), allowing it to traverse without worry of hitting a planet, asteroid, etc. This skip does wear on some crewmen's physiology, creating a state similar with inebriation. However, as a crewman's body adapts to the skip, this effect is eventually rendered non-existent.

Exit from the Gap is made by accentuating the particles trapping the Eternity in the stream via another pulse across the nanofiber hull (this means that if another ship enters the Tachyon Gate, it would not be able to exit without a nanofiber hull). This pulse ADDS energy to the tachyon particles trapped, overloading them to die decreasing their speed below relative c causing the ship to exit the Gap.
~Gabriel "The Writer" Logan
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby FSF Hawg » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:56 pm

I split off all the "rank" stuff into a new topic which is here: Odd rank changes
FSF Hawg
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF EBK » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:55 pm

I think Trans-Warp is a term used to describe a ship that has the ability to break warp factor barrier (10). How you do this subject to classifying your starship's FTL drive as ether Warp or Trans-Warp capable.

Exactly, there is a difference between what Paris did and what starships with warp factors 10 or more (the USS Pasteur in All Good Things... for example) can do
FSF EBK
Retired Host

FSF EBK
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Ramsay » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:11 pm

One thing that should be noted about All good things is that it's possible that star fleet changed there Warp velocity ratings remember Big D was pulling Warp 13! Such a change would not be a big shocker between TOS and TNG there was such a change.
The Enterprise NCC1701 once clocked warp 14 (TOS that which survives.)
Outside of cannon Warp 13 was stated as being the old warp 9.95 with some where around Warp 15 for the new warp 10 thsi came from OMNI, science advisor Andre Bormanis who worked on seventh season of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Voyager.
Ramsay
Veteran Member

Postby FSF EBK » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:09 pm

One thing that should be noted about All good things is that it's possible that star fleet changed there Warp velocity ratings remember Big D was pulling Warp 13!

Very true, and it was like 30 years in the future from the original time of the episode (2370)
FSF EBK
Retired Host

FSF EBK
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Ward » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:25 pm

The excepted explanation is that the warp scale had been redone again which moved the transwarp Barrier.

This is from "Captains' Logs Supplemental - The Unauthorized Guide to the New Trek Voyages"

"Gene [Roddenberry] made the determination at the beginning of Next Gen that warp ten would be the limit, and at that point you would occupy all portions of the universe simultaneously, which always seemed like a wonderfully provocative notion. Then the question is 'What happens if you do go warp ten, how does that affect you?' So we all sat in a room and kicked it around and came up with this idea of evolution and thought that it would be far more interesting and less expected that instead of it being the large-brained, glowing person, it would be full circle, back to our origins in the water. Not saying that we have become less than we are, because those creatures may experience consciousness on such an advanced plane that we couldn't conceive of it. It just seemed like a more interesting image."

I pulled that from here http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Thresho ... and_Script

To throw a fun fact in to the mix, Tom Paris was the first human to break the transwarp barrier.
Chief Logistics Officer
FSF Ward
FSF Host (****)

Postby FSF EBK » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 pm

To throw a fun fact in to the mix, Tom Paris was the first human to break the transwarp barrier.

Yeah but he did it differently and that medical issue he had with the imbalance in his brain chemicals or something screwed him up
FSF EBK
Retired Host

FSF EBK
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Ramsay » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:55 am

No it was no Brain imbalance... He Mutated into a newt! Then kidnapped His captain too have... Tadpoles?!
So I don't think Starfleet is going too be deploying that method for manned space travel.
Ramsay
Veteran Member

Return to Depts - Eng & Ops