Fledgling Game asking assistance

Useful information & discussions for the Engineering & Operations departments that might help affect or improve your simming experience!

Fledgling Game asking assistance

Postby FSF Esrom » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:27 am

One of FSF members is working on a Guild game called Torchwood. He has given me the specs for a Union Square "site". this would be an underground base from what I understand.

What he is looking for is someone to to a graphical representation to put on the website he is creating for the game.

The Specs are as follows:
The Torchwood Five base is an underground facility comprising five levels underneath the Union Square subway station in Manhattan. Entrance is gained through a newsstand back room, where one general-support staff always sits guard.

Level One:

Team Leader’s Office (glass, soundproof, can be deadlock sealed in an emergency). It overlooks the entire facility.

Briefing room. Complete with all of the modern day holographics and touch-screen computers. Adjacent to the Team leader’s Office.

Main entrance-- tunnel from the newsstand leads to a two-foot thick titanium bolted door.

Sleeping quarters for the team leader and one VIP guest.

Level Two:

Main hub. Three computer stations with multiple terminals that monitor alien activity, police and emergency services, as well as the local media.

Storage bay for all artifacts.

Coffee and vending machines.

Bathrooms.

Level Three:

Medical bay. Three adjacent pits with an observation deck from level two. One serves as a standard emergency suite for injured. One is an autopsy room. The last is a laboratory.

Storage for alien plants and preserved specimens.

Level three has direct access to the cold-storage morgue on level five.

Level Four:

Micro-cold fusion generator. Provides independent power to the facility. Powerful enough to generate a time-shield in extreme absolute emergency only.

Docking bay for the team’s vehicles. One electric SUV and two motorcycles.

Storage for alien artifacts.

Hazardous waste storage.

Quarantine rooms.

Holding cells and interrogation chambers.

Level Five:

Cold-storage.

Morgue.

Waste and sewage processors. Escape hatch to the surface leading to an abandoned building a few blocks away.

Both levels four and five can be sealed off from the rest of the facility.

Located below the ground, fighting from what comes from the skies...

If you can help... let me know. thanks.
FSF ESROM
GM: ISS TYRANNY * USS Cadecus/USS Stagazer SFOL * USS Phoenix
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby FSF Bourne » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:35 am

The first two levels.. Is he looking for something resembling CTU headquarters (From 24)? With a head office over looking the main work space of agents.
FSF Bourne

"Chance favors the prepared Mind" ~ Louis Pasteur
FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Zachary_Eastwood » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:05 am

Yes. The idea is that none of the agents can escape the gaze of the team leader when working. Think a lot of glass, a lot of openness. For the first two levels.

Level three is isolated from the two levels above it-- with the exception of an observation area (like in a modern surgery suite) and levels four and five are independent as well. But nobody is, theoretically, out of sight of the leader's office on level one.

I am the designer of the game, I would have posted this myself but my account was having issues. I am here to answer questions to anyone who wants to help.

Union Square (not the complex) is two levels of Subway tunnels in Manhattan. So the base is actually UNDER these two tunnels.

There's also, of course, elevators that take people from the levels, as well as ladders.
Last edited by Zachary_Eastwood on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Commander Zachary Eastwood - Chief Tactical Officer/ Star Trek: Andromeda :: Lt. David 'Brad' McIntyre III-Chief Engineer / Star Trek: Project Origin

FSF Metalhead: Guild Director, GM1 Torchwood: United Front
Zachary_Eastwood
Veteran Member

Postby Zachary_Eastwood » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:09 am

http://www.keithdunne.com/television/to ... c-su.shtml

This is the designer's website for the set of the series. As you can tell, the two bases are NOT identical and should NOT look the same, in fact, they are to be quite different. That set is designed to have been originally built in the 1880's, but this is a brand new facility. But, from a design standpoint, I am sure this might help somebody understand.

Clean, white, open-- but cluttered, chaotic, a lot going on. All of New York alien activity fitting into a small five level military complex.
Lt. Commander Zachary Eastwood - Chief Tactical Officer/ Star Trek: Andromeda :: Lt. David 'Brad' McIntyre III-Chief Engineer / Star Trek: Project Origin

Zachary_Eastwood
Veteran Member

Postby Ramsay » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:07 pm

If memory serves there is actually a structure under Grand Central Terminal Called M42. the structure was built around World war 2 and contains AC-DC converters, in the second world war two German spies were busted by the FBI, there mission was too try and sabotage M42.
there was a national Geographic special and a history channel City's ofthe underworld eps on it
Perhaps this Tourchwood could use a variation of the M42 name and even design ethos? Say M42Anex? If you watch the original Tourchwood you do see a Name plate on the wall very close too the style seen in new York railway stations.
Also the equipment form Daleks in Manhattan Is a must, " If it's Alien It's Ours"
Lt. Carson Irvine Walker US Army SG4, Stargate Command.
Staff Sergeant Maddison Howell USAF SG5, Stargate Command, Delta Fleet
Ramsay
Veteran Member

Postby Zachary_Eastwood » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Don't worry Ramsay. I am working on what weapons we're using.

And this isn't Grand Central. Grand Central is on E42nd. Union Square is on E14th and serves two lines in each station. It doesn't really matter, but I had the Uptown Lexington Ave line in mind when I wrote this sim... the 4 and 5 Bronx bound express trains and the 6 local train to Pelham Bay Park or Parkchester.

Zachary_Eastwood
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Esrom » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:37 pm

OK so Has anyone started working on this project? I'd like to know so I can keep track. If Not.. come on peeps.. I know we can get something together if we try!
FSF ESROM
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby Zachary_Eastwood » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:12 pm

I did my best to make something similar to a floor plan... at least it gies an idea to the shapes I have inside my head. You can check it out here, but it is far from being anything more than rudimentary at best:

http://forums.sb254.com/viewtopic.php?t=53001

Zachary_Eastwood
Veteran Member

Postby FSF Esrom » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:29 pm

OK So this at least gives a somewhat better understanding of where things go. OK Let's see what we can develop from this.
FSF ESROM
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby FSF Bourne » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:38 am

It gives a nice basis for people to work from should the feel they want to improve it. Great work Zach!
FSF Bourne

"Chance favors the prepared Mind" ~ Louis Pasteur
FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Return to Depts - Eng & Ops