Marine Tactical Gear

Useful information & discussions for the Engineering & Operations departments that might help affect or improve your simming experience!

Postby FSF Bourne » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:11 am

I think he means small enough to fit comfortable on a web page with stats and stuff. Small enough so it fits in a page without having to scroll down to see the entire image.

Well, atleast that would be my thoughts. I would love to have this included in the pages of a sims website so people know exactly what they use when in that situation. Its always better to have a picture to put words to. :)
FSF Bourne

"Chance favors the prepared Mind" ~ Louis Pasteur
FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby The Writer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:27 am

I can shrink it down to anything really, aspect ratio willing, so, if you give me an exact pixilation count I'll shrink it for you.

If you are going to use my art on a website though, I don't mind it, just give note to who did what and, more over, don't edit the signature.
~Gabriel "The Writer" Logan
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby Ishus Techno » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:19 pm

Well I don't know pixels but I would guess small enough for like an avatar :P
Lt. Commander Auron Tamerin | Chief of Engineering | USS Odyssey | Star Trek: Project Origin
Lt. Junior Grade Thomas Truce | Assistant Engineer | USS Pheonix
Ishus Techno

Postby The Writer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:36 am

LOL, if you want an avatar Techno, just tell me what it is you want me to paint..., I can always use an idea to practice on.

I would think maybe 240 to 300 pixels in width would probably do ya as far as displaying it on a website and still get most of the detail intact. I'll play around with it, see what I can do to shrink it. In this composition, you are probably going to have a bit of a scroll down, but, if your going to do a spec page, it should fit in a CSS frame and still float well.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby The Writer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:02 pm

Hows this?
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby Ishus Techno » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:38 pm

^_^

Thats purrfect ;)
Lt. Commander Auron Tamerin | Chief of Engineering | USS Odyssey | Star Trek: Project Origin
Ishus Techno

Postby FSF Bourne » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:10 pm

Yeah I agree. Thats great! It didnt lose much detail at all! :)
FSF Bourne

FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby The Writer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:06 am

:) Excellent, just glad to be of service, it was great practice anyway.

Looking forward to the next.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby FSF Esrom » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:59 am

ok.. now that we have the artwork.. let's get technical...

MARINE TACTICAL GEAR SPECIFICATIONS

What do you envision as part of this Armor and accompanying gear and we'll get the specs done!
FSF ESROM
GM: ISS TYRANNY * USS Cadecus/USS Stagazer SFOL * USS Phoenix
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby Dalchron » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:02 am

Ok I wanted to weigh in on this as well, I have read what everyone has said and I came up with a short list of items I'd like to see on this suit.

Personal Kit:

Personal replicator that is capable of creating weapons of various types, from a basic knife, up to a Phaser rifle. (On Belt, with key pad Iconic display on leg)

Medkit:

Old school and new. Stock it with field dressing’s, pressure bandages, and hyposprays. Also use the personal replicator to be able to give the Marine a simple pill form of pain relief (Like a Tylenol if he sprains an ankle or something.

On suit itself:

Transporter Inhibitor (Like Esrom says.) only accepts transporter tags from YOUR ship. If your Mothership is destroyed or damaged beyond the ability to beam you out, turn off the inhibitor and take your chances that a friendly vessel picks you up and not an enemy.

Sensors in the suit to detect mines, explosives, and NBC (Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical) Hazards.

Please feel free to add to this, just what came to mind. I was thinking of it like the Hazard suits in the ST:V: Elite Force Game.
Major Berkitta "Kit" Idalla
MCO
USS Magistrate
Dalchron

Postby FSF Who » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:44 am

The problem behind a personal replicator is that you'd need to be storing enough matter to create all of the stuff you'd want to on that replicator, as well as enough power in the suit to consistently replicate items. On a personal level suit that may not be an efficient item to have, while it seems you could design the actual replicator to be fairly small if you're fancy, everything else would still take up a lot of bulk, unless you find a way to harvest matter from around the suit, but that could cause it's own wealth of problems.
FSF Who
FSF CoO || Space Fleet FCO || GM: Star Wars: Paragon || GM: Star Wars: Shadow Squadron
FSF Who
FSF Host (OO****)

Postby FSF Bri » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:22 am

Instead of it being a replicator, we could just go full Elite Force with the actual "transport buffer" they used in the game to store all their weapons and other items. Since it's a transporter, the signal is stored in the actual buffer, and the matter is already there in the breakdown of the item when it goes into the buffer. Seems like the best way of doing things. Of course, a power supply would be necessary. I believe for the transport buffer, the actual power was drawn from another power source located as part of the hazard suit they all wore.
Captain Sorjei ch'Thalev, Commanding Officer, USS Akira-C Image
Commodore Brian O'Neil, Director, Special Projects Image
Epsilon Fleet Executive Officer; Awards Director
"You assume I give a damn. That's cute" - Commander Shepard, Mass Effect
"I have faith in nothing but this - when the universe collapses and dies, there will be three survivors - Tyr Anasazi, the cockroaches, and Dylan Hunt, trying to save the cockroaches." - Tyr Anasazi
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Esrom » Fri May 02, 2008 10:59 am

I can see both points.. but still power consumption and retrieval would be a concern. I for one would not want to be trying to get the transporter to work so I could get a weapon while some other forces are shooting at me. But that's me :?

Ok Lets see if we can't come up with some technical aspects for both ideas..

Where would the "power unit" be located. How much power would be needed.

Replicator: Idea is interesting, but how much matter can it hold.
Transporter: How long can the buffer last before it destabilizes and the weapons are lost or malfunction due to degradation of the buffer.

PERSONAL KIT: Other than the above replicator/transporter are there other viable options?

MED KIT: Again without using a replicator.. a simple personal first aid kit should include bandages and such as well as a preloaded multi-drug hypo.
I would envision this to be similar to an epi-pen.. slightly larger.. but would hold and mild pain reliever, an antibiotic, something for respiratory distress, perhaps even an antidote for a known biologic toxin that MAY or MAY NOT present itself during the mission. This kit could be small enough to be located on the utility belt, or in a "leg panel" within easy reach

I do like the idea of the sensors though. Only concern again is the power draw. Also we don't want to make this suit so heavy that they can't stand up in it.

Lets get some more ideas ...
FSF ESROM
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby FSF Bourne » Tue May 06, 2008 7:26 pm

To me this suit seems to be a little to high tech. Out of experience I know soldiers hate relying on technology while fighting on the battle field. More weapons and kit would be on them at the time therefore leaving nothing to chance like your ship getting destroyed and your supply chain cut off.

So what about a kind of 'belt kit' to go on the suit. Depending on what was needed it could range from a mere belt with a knife, Medical Kit(Esroms idea was nice) and maybe some pouches for anything else.

I do like the idea of a transporter but is it going to be a viable option lugging a power supply around while trying not to get shot at?
FSF Bourne

FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Esrom » Sat May 31, 2008 6:51 pm

I personally don't see either the transporter or the replicator being a viable option on an armored suit.

As Bourne stated.. too many things can go wrong. In thinking about this I have come on a very good reason NOT to go that route.... You have to speak clearly for the replicator to make whatever it is you want... and a transport beam makes a clearly audible signal....if you are on a covert mission... this would put the person in grave danger before they could finish getting their weapon .

I think a standard issue Phased rifle with attachments would be the best alternative.
FSF ESROM
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby FSF Warren » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:55 pm

1) Helmet
- For the helmet, it would be a headsup unit connected to the mind via nerve sensors located around spots in the helmet.
- Sensors. The helmet would be able to scan so far for lifesigns and show the locations
- Tactical Targetting. When using a rifle, the rifle can be attached to the helmet for long range shots or to be used to clear up the shot from windy, rain and etc.
- Communications. Though the helmet works without speaking, communications would be done through a mic attached to the inside.

2) Body Armour
- Made to act as a survival suit, but can also be used as an environmental suit or HAVAC suit. Can also be designed to act as a vacuum suit, if being used for Space combat.
- Have different layers of protection. Each layer has its own integrity it can withstand. So if someone shoots you in the same spot twice, depending on the energy the shot had behind it, it COULD punch through.
- The Armour, instead of a belt, has attachments. The items attach to the suit for easier combat. A rifle would attach to the back with a magnetic system, or a phaser would attach to the side via a clip.

3) Attachments for different combats
- A portable pack. This would be one of the heavier packs and would include a small replicator system with a generator. This would be used more by engineer marines or medics.
- A Weapons Pack. Would include room for more weapons that can be taken apart easily and be stored. Would also have more room for energy packs for said weapons.
Captain Richard Martial | Commanding Officer | StarBase 254 [GM1]

FSF Warren
FSF Host (*)

Postby FSF Esrom » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:44 am

Is there anyone willing to actually design a BLUEPRINT for this? I think that might help for those that might wish to utilize this gear in their sim.

Any thoughts?
FSF ESROM
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby FSF Esrom » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:09 pm

I'll take that as a no.. for now... but we really could put some of the talents all of you have to use I think
FSF ESROM
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby FSF Bourne » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:20 pm

I think the blue prints would be great, I just wish i had the talents to do them. I have recently added a team of marines on a sim and would love to have some reference material!
FSF Bourne

FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Ramsay » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:46 pm

Don't forget the Grapple hook gun and re-breather
Lt. Carson Irvine Walker US Army SG4, Stargate Command.
Staff Sergeant Maddison Howell USAF SG5, Stargate Command, Delta Fleet
Ramsay
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Depts - Eng & Ops