Marine Tactical Gear

Useful information & discussions for the Engineering & Operations departments that might help affect or improve your simming experience!

Marine Tactical Gear

Postby FSF Warren » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:59 pm

Well,

I have been looking and searching for a Marine Tactical Gear setup that would be Dominion War era. I just can't seem to find anything related to that, any suggestions or help ;)

(Also a push for us all to get working!)
FSF Warren
FSF Host (*)

Postby FSF Bri » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:14 pm

Typically whenever I've had a need for such gear, I've done some cookie cutter stuff from other things, usually other shows or games. It's tough since there has never really been much about them, and past attempts at standardized equipment we could all use for marines have never been successfully carried out.
Captain Sorjei ch'Thalev, Commanding Officer, USS Akira-C Image
Commodore Brian O'Neil, Director, Special Projects Image
Epsilon Fleet Executive Officer; Awards Director
"You assume I give a damn. That's cute" - Commander Shepard, Mass Effect
"I have faith in nothing but this - when the universe collapses and dies, there will be three survivors - Tyr Anasazi, the cockroaches, and Dylan Hunt, trying to save the cockroaches." - Tyr Anasazi
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Warren » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Well thats why I wanted to post this here. I am sure we could actually split them into Categories as well.

Pre-Federation
Enterprise Era
After-Dominion

We could do three different Major Time Frames for the Gear, since I doubt the Tactical gear changed a lot. I know the Gear after the Dominion War was lighter and could take quite a few hits from the books I have read.
FSF Warren
FSF Host (*)

Postby FSF Bri » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:10 am

That's fine, but we also have to consider TOS and TNG timeframes, considering a lot of our sims fall into those areas.
Captain Sorjei ch'Thalev, Commanding Officer, USS Akira-C Image
Commodore Brian O'Neil, Director, Special Projects Image
Epsilon Fleet Executive Officer; Awards Director
"You assume I give a damn. That's cute" - Commander Shepard, Mass Effect
"I have faith in nothing but this - when the universe collapses and dies, there will be three survivors - Tyr Anasazi, the cockroaches, and Dylan Hunt, trying to save the cockroaches." - Tyr Anasazi
FSF Bri
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Warren » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:21 am

wouldn't those fall into the Enterprise era??
FSF Warren
FSF Host (*)

Postby Casey Hale » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 am

No, Enterprise Era(To me anyway) means the ship commanded by Jonathon Archer.

Enterprise
TOS
TNG
After Dominion

I think would be the best split. That covers a lot more of the spectrum. If there was a basic then other sims could alter things slightly if needed by the story.
'Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people wont feel insecure around you. We were all meant to shine as children do. Its not just in some of us its in everyone. And as we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same, as we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.'[/size]
Casey Hale

Postby FSF Warren » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:26 am

I mean::

Pre-Federation (Which was Archer timeframe since they were Allied Planets something something)

TOS

TNG

Dominion
FSF Warren
FSF Host (*)

Postby FSF Esrom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:05 pm

what is it you are looking for?

.. I would suspect that the basic inventory would remain fairly constant

IE: emergency med kit, Emergency rations, communications/homing device, and whatever other BASIC items a Marine would carry into battle today. Perhaps in their pack they also would have a transport inhibitor so enemy forces cannot Beam them away.

Being a Space based game I would also suspect they would need to include O2 regenerators for low oxygen atmospheric Planets. A hand Phaser (Side arm) and a Rifle

This does not included any EVA type equipment that may be required of course.
FSF ESROM
GM: ISS TYRANNY * USS Cadecus/USS Stagazer SFOL * USS Phoenix
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby The Writer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:42 pm

:lol: Don't know if I'm coming out of left field or what :) but I would like to get into this conversation if I may. I had an idea for a simulation that would take players across the gamma of the Star Trek timeline starting with the Eugenics War, so, I would very much like to get my hands in this if I may.

I agree with Esrom on that the equipment would proably be, fairly similar, more so between TNG and Dominion. But wouldn't it be somewhat more adaptable to have EVA Equipment that is dynamic enough to function not only on par with space walk and other forms of space fighting, but a system that can seemlessly move to other functions such as spaceship raiding or ground pounding. I'm reminded of Future Force Warrior a dynamic system that held multiple functions.

I would think, as far as gear, military personnel would stay with the less weight factor, everything pretty much intergrated. A Rifle that functions as a close quarters combat weapon so their wouldn't be a need for a secondary firing weapon (but a combat KABAR goes a long way).
~Gabriel "The Writer" Logan
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby FSF Esrom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:14 pm

Well as to the EVA suit.. it could be something similar to what the STAR WARS Troopers have.. their suits act as a self contained EVA and Armor. Although I think we can also go along the lines of HALO's Spartan...the suit can be created/modified so that it is itself the "pack" by creating it with several "Pockets" that can hold gear.

As for the gear.. Beyond the basics.. I would suppose that would depend on the mission specs.
FSF ESROM
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby The Writer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:14 pm

Well, I would think, beyond mission specific gear they would have standard gear as far as weapons and equipment, probably an integration like the EVA suit. Something mobile and easily versatile.

I got a Wacom Tablet and Photoshop CS3..., you want me to get a bead on a design for the Star Wars/HALO/Trek EVA Combat Suit? I got a few ideas..., I don't know if you've seen any of my artwork on the Drawing and Writing Guild.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby FSF Warren » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Sure go ahead, won't hurt ;)
FSF Warren
FSF Host (*)

Postby FSF Esrom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:06 am

Gabe ..you are here by assigned that task ;) Thanks for volunteering!
FSF ESROM
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby The Writer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:32 am

LOL, quick sketching shall commence..., I'll even throw in some color :)

Should have one up, at the earliest, today.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby The Writer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:42 am

Ok, I don't know if you all heard about the snow storm that just came through and ripped a hole in the fabric of Mother Earth, but, it happened here, so, forgive the lateness of this piece.

Basic configuration for an EVA Combat Suit has inserts for equipment on the utility belt, optional, and the backpack, which is part of the suit and houses the O2. Very versatile then the normal EVA Suit and holds more mobility in the neck, arms, legs, and torso (unlike the one seen on First Contact). I kept the little power cell in the middle, seemed fitting and is my tribute to the early Trek EVA suits. There is an external communication module on the left ear and has built in transporter dampeners. Modeled of the AGTC (Anti-Government Tactical Command) EVA Combat Armor as far as head piece and gauntlets.

Artistically, this was done with a Wacom Tablet using Photoshop CS3 and done in approximately less than an hour. I used the multiple technique for background and color.
The Writer
Post Guru

Postby FSF Esrom » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:43 am

Very cool Gabe..

Warren look this over.. will this work for you.. of course you can always make suggestions.
FSF ESROM
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby FSF Bourne » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:59 am

Wow, that is cool! Nice job Gabe!
FSF Bourne

"Chance favors the prepared Mind" ~ Louis Pasteur
FSF Bourne
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby FSF Warren » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:25 am

Umm O.O

Like dude thats awesome ^_^ Think you can create me an smaller version of it tho?? So it doesn't take up a whole page ;) I might create some stats to go with it to follow how it looks :D

Again, awesome job :)
FSF Warren
FSF Host (*)

Postby Dalchron » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:34 pm

Very Cool Gabe.
Major Berkitta "Kit" Idalla
MCO
USS Magistrate
Dalchron

Postby The Writer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:30 am

FSF Warren wrote:Umm O.O

Like dude thats awesome ^_^ Think you can create me an smaller version of it tho?? So it doesn't take up a whole page ;) I might create some stats to go with it to follow how it looks :D

Again, awesome job :)

How small do you need it?
The Writer
Post Guru

Next

Return to Depts - Eng & Ops