THE SCIENCE OF TREK

Useful information & discussions for the Medical and Science departments that might help affect or improve your simming experience!

THE SCIENCE OF TREK

Postby FSF Esrom » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Along with Medical there is SCIENCE!

I'd like to get some feedback on what the SCIENCE Officer's job would entail.
It would need to include biology of Flora and Fauna I would think, As well as some other areas.

I'd really like to get some feedback on this subject..

Do you feel we could use a seperate SCIENCES area in the website?

I would like to see more people getting involved here! All you SCI's and MO's are welcome to add your thoughts here as well!

Lets get this guild moving and become an integral part of our simming community. It won't happen if you don't show any enthusiasm.
FSF ESROM
GM: ISS TYRANNY * USS Cadecus/USS Stagazer SFOL * USS Phoenix
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby Ari » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:51 pm

Sciences should include not just the basic biological sciences but the earth sciences as well as the cosmological ones as well. True, you should have all the basic ones there like botany and biology, chemistry and physics, geology, oceanography, meterology and all the rest of the sciences that go in with that. but we need to look outside the usual realms, the way Star Trek did, and explore the realms of applied sciences (i.e. MacGyverisms) as well. Those can add a lot to a game and can go toward a solution of the problems faced by away teams and other such shipboard emergencies. Also being conversant with the Star Trek Cosmology would help like knowing that Vulcan is a hot, desert world as opposed to the Klingon homeworld that seem to be more volcanic in its origin and other such differences that can enhance the game for everyone You could split the areas into the two different departments and have postings to them both or even further into "Life Sciences" and "Hard Sciences" and have the Medical in on the Life Sciences area
Lt Night Wing K'Trevala-Dillon, CMO, USS Phoenix, LtJg Lochlann MacArdry, CMO, USS Ghost Rider , Ens Mahrek of the House of Kehdar, ASEC, USS Ghost Rider
Ari
Post Guru

Postby Mia Cummings » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:23 pm

Medical is such a large part of SIMS that I think it needs it's own area broken iton smaller sections. and remember we are not JUST talking Trek. There are other genres of game play within the FSF...

If we can get more people to assist that would be great.. "Many hands make light work", as my granny used to say :)
Mia Cummings; AMO/Lt.: USS John C Stennis - CSEC/Lt.: USS Stargazer SFOL * Sa'Ra;Security Officer/Ensign: USS Firewall * Cdr. Amber (Tamara) Darius-Belmont - Chief Medical Officer: USS Atlantis * Lt Amelia "Mia" Moore, CSCI; USS Eternity *
Mia Cummings
Veteran Member

Postby Ari » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:06 am

I agree, Mia, and with the other games, basic first aid is not a given skill the way it might be in the Star Trek and Stargate sims. But then, that's the Military for you. True, Star Wars has the Medbots but they are only on the ships and in the larger installations and not usually with the away teams. The Vampire games have some actual docs to go along with the healer witches but the skills for the other charries are not an automatic given unless it is brought forward in play, or on their profile and people remember it. Even then, some of the Vampires might remember techniques that might be frowned upon today by the more squeamish, but prove to be right in the long run, like the uses of Maggots to debride infected large wounds or Leeches which are used in microsurgery today to deal with some of the problems of pooling blood with reattached fingers and the like. Remember, the herb witches knew about Foxglove for heart problems centuries before Digoxin and Digitalis were synthesized from it.
Lt Night Wing K'Trevala-Dillon, CMO, USS Phoenix, LtJg Lochlann MacArdry, CMO, USS Ghost Rider , Ens Mahrek of the House of Kehdar, ASEC, USS Ghost Rider
Ari
Post Guru

Postby FSF Esrom » Wed May 09, 2007 12:01 pm

Ari, this is great info. Can we make a list of some of those "OLD" techniques for the NON-space fareing sims

And if there is anyone out there who wants to add a few things to the lists.. you don't have to be a member to to do so!
FSF ESROM
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby Ari » Thu May 10, 2007 7:21 pm

Well like I said, there are Leeches for getting rid of pooled blood in a tissue injury as well as using Maggots that have been sterilized for dealing with some non healing infectious wounds. Yeah I know it's gross but they eat the diseased tissue and leave the healing tissue alone then for burns there is soaking the bandages in a strong tea solution for about ten minutes, it helps relieve the pain and speed healing.
Ari
Post Guru

science officer duties and knowledge

Postby Dalchron » Fri May 11, 2007 1:42 am

Esrom... No I am not back yet.... But I think that the science Officer would have som Many varied specialties that to include ALL of them would over tax the website. I mean in addition to the general science offocer that we saw in most trek episodes(Spock, Data, and all the other onehit wonders) there is terraforming science, Astrophysics, Geophysics, Etc. SO I like the idea of a whole page on the site for the Science Officer, but I wouldn't try to overdo it.

Your <Former> Leerless Feeder

Dal :lol: :lol: :lol:
Major Berkitta "Kit" Idalla
MCO
USS Magistrate
Dalchron

Postby Ari » Fri May 11, 2007 4:04 am

If you want to post broad categories and get an overview with subspecialties broken down like a genealogical tree to help show all the different areas covered that might be one way to do it
Ari
Post Guru

Postby FSF Esrom » Mon May 21, 2007 2:20 pm

I like that Idea... that way we would have an idea of what part of science we should be focusing on....
Who would like to help me with that? And you can e-mail me what you have come up with and then I can put it all together in a FLOW CHART type of thing
FSF ESROM
FSF Esrom
FSF Host (O****)

Postby Ari » Mon May 21, 2007 5:17 pm

Ok I'll help with it start off with the broad categories of Earth Science, Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy and Biology for the Science part then Medicine will have its own set and this list will not be complete

Earth Science:
    Geology
      Paleontology
      Plate Tectonics
      Volcanology
      Speleology
    Meteorology
      Climatology
      Severe storms
    Oceanography
      Ocean currents

Chemistry:
    Inorganic chemistry
    Organic Chemistry

Physics:
    you name it (Physics isn't my strong suit)

Astronomy:
    Astrophysics
    Cosmology
    Astrometrics
    Stellar Cartography

Biology:
    Xenobiology( just name the area)
    Invertebrates
    Vertebrates
    Unicellulars

These are just a few of the areas to start in if it helps
Ari
Post Guru

Postby FSF Sorveck » Mon May 21, 2007 9:28 pm

Shadow just pointing somehting out but, If this is going to be categorie of trek science then perhaps we shouldn't call them Earth sciences and moe along lines of Planetary sciences
Lt Sorveck CENG USS Vastitude / Capt Sorveck CO USS Cadecus/
Lt Josh Andrews Helm USS Galtuch/ LnCpt Nathan Andrews XO DS10/ Cmdr Nathan Andrews XO USS Spiritus/Nooth SB Adelphi

With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden,
the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.~~~~~~ Capt Picard "Drumhead"
FSF Sorveck
FSF Host (Retired)

Postby Ari » Mon May 21, 2007 10:51 pm

OK Sorveck but I was going with terms that all us Terrans would recognize but you're correct in that aspect and thanks for the correction
Ari
Post Guru

Postby Mia Cummings » Fri May 25, 2007 9:32 pm

I think I remember this from HS
At least it's a start ::shrugs::

Physics
Kenetic energy
Mia Cummings; AMO/Lt.: USS John C Stennis - CSEC/Lt.: USS Stargazer SFOL * Sa'Ra;Security Officer/Ensign: USS Firewall * Cdr. Amber (Tamara) Darius-Belmont - Chief Medical Officer: USS Atlantis * Lt Amelia "Mia" Moore, CSCI; USS Eternity *
Mia Cummings
Veteran Member

Postby Ari » Sat May 26, 2007 1:32 am

Physics: Atomic Bonds
Ari
Post Guru

Return to Depts - Med & Sci