S01E02: "Reflections"

Where the crew of the Hope post in-character posts.

Re: S01E02: "Reflections"

Postby The Gnostic » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:03 pm

-=/\=- Lieutenant Anam Farooqi -=/\=-
Science Officer & Helm
USS Hope-A

Captain Vreenak wrote:Bridge, this is the Captain. Adjust course toward the signal on sensors.

"The computer confirms it's a distress signal, but is still analyzing the pattern of its source, Captain." He sent a request to Engineering to boost power to the sensor array.

"Captain, if I may," he said, looking up but still working his fingers on the console. "I know you're a staunch supporter of new life and artificial intelligence and such." Pausing to turn to the Big Man, he remained seated in his swivel chair. "But I'd like there to be some restrictions on the Messier hologram." He tried to hide any tinge of racism against photonic beings. "He is a valuable addition to the crew, but he intruded on me during a date on the holodeck recently." He bit his lip, telling himself Christie didn't like him anyway. "I took it in good stride, but then he made innuendo about a threesome or something." He gulped, nervous at the thought she might have liked the hologram more than he. "I'm as inclusive as anyone else on the crew, sir, but I realized later, I wasn't okay with the way he did it."

He hated to waste the captain's time, but if the CO was going to issue edicts about the rights of sentient life on the ship, he might as well hear of its consequences, and inform the person-of-light of his responsibilities.

<tag Vreenak>
Last edited by The Gnostic on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gnostic

Postby The Gnostic » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:18 pm

-=/\=- M. Sergeant Rostham -=/\=-
Chief of Security
Holodeck, USS Hope-A

Rostham walked past the clearing, into the cabin, the crunch of pine cones and twigs giving his presence away.

Dr. Brett Reese wrote:Hi... I thought you were on duty?

He smiled, and kept his distance. "Hi" was as cold a reply you could greet your lover. The irony was apparent. But here the secret would end.

"Darling," he grinned. "Like you, I am now the head of my department, and can take breaks as I wish." She was famous for her naps.

He put a jar on the table. Opening the vacuum seal, he wafted the aroma of freshly-roasted coffee under his nose, and walk to the grinder on the counter behind him, but opted for the pestle and mortar instead. Old school was what he liked.

"We need to get an ice box," he said casually, smashing the cold stone against the concave of the bowl. "I'm serious about stopping eating replicated food, we need to buy fresh and cook most of the week." The roasted round beans cracked under the pressure of his crushing. "I don't mind if you replicate the ice," he conceded. "Maybe we can use the runoff for a real shower."

As he heated the water for his own brew, he took out two glasses, some evaporated milk and sugar. "You know how I feel? About jumping ten centuries into the Space Age?" He stared down at her intently. "I hate it," he declared, nostalgic for the medieval times of the Zahara reality.

"We have not gone forward, but backward." He looked out at the prime oaks in the window, knowing they were really in the black of space. "People are soft, unskilled, and most don't seem to know why they're here or why they do what they do." He poured the pulverized grinds into the sieve, as the coffee pot waited for the boiling water. "We've learned to travel the stars, but forgotten how to socialize and make food over fire."

Pausing for a breath. "I'm not knocking the heroism of Starfleet's best and brightest, some of whom are aboard this ship." Once the water hit 100 degrees centigrade, he poured it into the glass pot, the water rushing and heating the oils which made it taste acidic. "I prefer a cold brew, but knowing you..."

He walked over to his wife with the steaming hot glass. She was sipping her own drink, but it was almost done now. He offered a drink, then placed it by her. Leaning on the counter of the kitchen island across from her, he pulled out the blue bottle he found in her CMO office, kept hidden from him all this time.

"I bought a house on Risa," he said looking into her voluptuous eyes. "But before we move there, I need to know what this is." He hoped she would not force him to do a spectral analysis. Husband and wife ought to have more trust in each other than that.

<tag Brett Reese>
The Gnostic

Postby Brett K Reese » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:57 pm

Dr. Brett K Reese
CMO
USS Hope

MSgt Rostham wrote:"Like you, I am now the head of my department, and can take breaks as I wish."

"Okay," picking up on his sarcasm. "I just wasn't expecting anyone. I'm always glad to see you," she said rubbing his arm as he ground his coffee.

She took a seat at the island and listened as he vented his frustration at the weakness of the current century.

MSgt Rostham wrote:"I'm not knocking the heroism of Starfleet's best and brightest, some of whom are aboard this ship." Once the water hit 100 degrees centigrade, he poured it into the glass pot, the water rushing and heating the oils which made it taste acidic. "I prefer a cold brew, but knowing you..."

"Thanks," she said accepting the steaming up. She blew and took a sip flinching at the bitterness. "That'll wake you up," She smiled not knowing that her good mood would be short lived. Before she could say anything else he verbally attacked.

"I bought a house on Risa," he said looking into her voluptuous eyes. "But before we move there, I need to know what this is."
His tone dripped disdain.

"First, why were you snooping in my office. Second, it's just a flask a friend at the academy gave me as a gift one birthday. If you must know it has whiskey in it. I just stuck it in my desk several weeks ago when I was working late getting reports done. What's the problem? Don't you occasionally drink? And I wasn't keeping it from you," her anger starting to show in her voice. "I didn't know I had to get your permission for anything," she said putting the mug down hard spilling the coffee on the counter. "I realize you are centuries older, but you are not my father and if you feel you are then we have a bigger problem than my taking an occasional drink of real liquor and our eating replicated food." She stared him down her anger seething. How dare he question her like a child. She is a grown woman and can do whatever she damn well pleases. "And another thing," she said standing and getting closer to him her voice lower and deliberate. I got along just fine without a man for years and I can do it again." She moved to the porch, squeezed the rail as she stared out at the mountains and tried to calm down.

Tag
Leigh Rachal - LT Brett Reese, MD, CMO, USS Hope, Star Trek: Renaissance
Brett K Reese

Postby FSF Seraphim » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:04 pm

Captain Vreenak
U.S.S. Hope, Stellar Cartography

The Captain's eyes shifted from the display toward Anam as he spoke up on something unrelated to the on-going investigation. He knew? Evidently someone other than his wife had read a few technical papers since their return from the void. Subspace physics had been a specialty, but other fields had come to his attention when they'd been stranded. One did happen to be certain electronic-based forms of life; which in part had made this one of the best ships for a photonic lifeform to crew.

Vreenak wasn't altogether prepared for the direction of Anam's complaint, however. Messier had intruded on a private holodeck program? That was not what lifting the restrictions had been for. "I see." He turned back toward the display for a moment to keep the mental examination from being plainly evident. It was only a second later he added, "Thank you for bringing it to my attention, Lieutenant. I will make sure the Ensign is aware of personal boundaries between ships' personnel." His dark gaze shifted back toward Anam with a slight nod. No, intrusions without very good cause we're appropriate sans invitation.

"It appears you may have coordinates," Vreenak announced after a soft sound drew his attention back to the console. His brow furrowed a bit. "Enough to set a course." Not perhaps pin-point accurate, but enough for a star system.

<<Tag Anam>>
FSF Seraphim

Postby thepariaheffect » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Lieutenant Commander Owen Scott
Executive Officer, USS Hope
Bridge

Owen stepped on the bridge, trying to shake off what felt like a few months' worth of sleep. The joy of a fully-staffed ship was that even he could expect a full night's sleep. The drawback, of course, was walking into a bridge that was already well on its way to business.

Taking his seat, he scrolled through his messages. So much of the crew was still in flux after the last catastrophe, and he hadn't learned all of the Romulans' names yet. Perhaps with time, he'd feel more comfortable taking the lead, but for now he'd defer to the Captain.

"Captain," he said after depressing his comm badge, "Everything's solid on the bridge at the moment. Awaiting your orders to proceed."
Lieutenant Owen Scott and Ensign Calvin Messier
Star Trek: Renaissance
thepariaheffect

Postby The Gnostic » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:51 pm

Chief of Security
USS Hope-A

Dr. Brett Reese wrote:I'm always glad to see you... — Thanks, that'll wake you up...
—First, why were you snooping in my office? I didn't know I had to get your permission for anything...
—And another thing. I got along just fine without a man for years and I can do it again.

He instantly regretted the combative tone he had taken with her. He meant to confront her with matters long hidden, but now was looking down the barrel of a long metaphorical shotgun. She wasn't expecting an ambush, but thanks to him, the tone had been set.

He finished the brewed Vienna roast, the drug wiring through his nerves to snap his senses awake. He walked slowly towards her, leaned down towards the chair, and stole a kiss from her pouting lips.

"My love, there is nothing more important to me in this universe than you." He gazed deeply into her eyes. "I know you are a grown woman, and you have the right to your beverage of choice." He sipped the sour rye. "On your own time," he added, the acrid taste overwhelming his bitter tongue. It was whiskey, she had not lied to him.

"But as you know, Starfleet regulations do not permit anything stronger than synthale while on duty, and as Chief of Security, you could put the ship-at-large at risk." He handed her back the blue flask, returning it to her possession. "I didn't mean to pry, there are just some things I need to know." He thirsted for another sip, but decided against it.

He stood by the counter across from her, his hands open, his body facing her. He loved her passionate defense, she had responded well to his challenge. In the days ahead, he would need a strong woman to match his own ambitions. And he had his own confession to make.

"Do you know Earth history?", he said, moving forward and kissing her hand. "There was a country called the United States of America. It was the most wealthy and powerful in the world, and defended most of the Western Hemisphere against the Eastern Coalition in World War III.

The country was founded in 1776, but the Marine Corps predates the country by an act of Congress the year before, to assault the British fort of Nassau in the Bahamas. It was an amphibious force, but more importantly, it was created to defend the country before there was a country.

The US was a democracy in the mould of Athens, but the Marines were Sparta, whose martial culture embodied in King Leonidas and his 300 men held off the Persian invasion at Thermopylae.

If you remember the Roman Republic, democracies are cumbersome especially in the face of wartime or emergency.

My point, darling, is that the Federation too is not immune from the tides of history. You should take a look around you. Romulan personnel aboard this ship, a Romulan captain, performing missions in Romulan space. —The Huns sacking Rome in 410 CE.— Though the current consensus of Starfleet Command supports rapid rapprochement with the Romulans, there are many, even in the top brass, who do not. And mind you, it was the Marine Corps, not Starfleet, which won the Earth-Romulan Wars. The Marines predate Starfleet and the United Earth by a couple of decades.

So believe me, darling, we will not be coddling the Romulans for the foreseeable future. While Cardassia and Romulus lay in ruins, patriots of the Federation will ensure our way of life endures.
" He paused the soliloquy for a moment, and approached her, and knelt and kissed her hand.

"To do this, I will need you at my side, my love. And we must carefully tread together if we are to triumph." He kissed her cheek, "I need you with me,", held her hand and looked deeply in her hazel irises. "Imzadi," he pleaded, gazing at her deeply.

<tag Reese>
Last edited by The Gnostic on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Gnostic

Postby The Gnostic » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:53 pm

Asst. Science Officer & Helm
USS Hope-A

Captain Vreenak wrote:It appears you may have coordinates... Enough to set a course.

"Aye, sir," he noted the enhanced coordinates on the display, and laid in the course from his console. The ship lurched at full impulse, 1/4 of the speed of light towards the sector, six parsecs away.

Commander Scott wrote:Captain, everything's solid on the bridge at the moment. Awaiting your orders to proceed.

He was reassured by the sound of Commander Scott on the Bridge. He wanted to ask if the captain would join him for a poker game with some other junior grades of the crew, but he took enough of his time as it was.

<tag CO>
The Gnostic

Postby Brett K Reese » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:14 am

Dr. Brett Reese
CMO
USS Hope

MSgt Rostham wrote:"My love, there is nothing more important to me in this universe than you." ... "I know you are a grown woman, and you have the right to your beverage of choice." ... "On your own time," ..."But as you know, Starfleet regulations do not permit anything stronger than synthale while on duty, and as Chief (Medical Officer), you could put the ship-at-large at risk."..."I didn't mean to pry, there are just some things I need to know."

She sat in a chair on the porch as he laid out his apology. Brett didn't fully understand what he was talking about, but he did sound sincere in his apology and concern. "I appreciate your concern, but I didn't drink on duty I was off duty working late. As for things you need to know I need you to realize there are things I just cannot talk about with anyone. Yes memories of my," paused forcing back the wave of unease, nausea whatever you choose to describe it, took a deep breath and continued,
"ra..rape come up from time to time when something triggers a memory, but that is just something I have to live with. My cross to bear as it were."
She stood, placing her hand on his cheek giving a slight smile.
"I am grateful for your love and support, but you must realize there are somethings you cannot fix or help with. For me this is one. I just need your understanding that there are and will be times that I enter a dark place that only time will see me exit. I promise I will try harder to let you know what's going on, but I need you to understand that I may not be able to sit and spill out my thoughts and feelings. Somethings I just have to go through on my own or seek the ear of someone who can better understand and even then you must understand it is extremely, beyond words difficult to express out loud. I am not trying to close you out, but there are just somethings I cannot talk about,
especially not with any man ever."
She embraced him laying her head on his shoulder.
"I promise that in those times I will come to you for this and I hope you will be willing to hold on tightly for as long and possible. That is the best medicine in those times. I just ask that you are patient and understand I will need time."
She stepped back and gave him a tender long kiss...

(Tag Rostham)
Brett K Reese

Postby FSF Seraphim » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Captain Vreenak

The Romulan Captain lifted a brow as the ship went into motion. "Lieutenant, I appreciate the initiative, however the Helm is on the bridge." It was only impulse, however, so they still had a great deal of time to take any additional steps.

After he tapped his combadge, Vreenak addressed the all surrounding pickups, "Commander. Lieutenant Farooqi has picked up a distress call six parsecs away. Navigation should have the coordinates. Lay in a course and engage. And keep an eye out for anything unusual; we still don't know the nature of the distress." A ship could be under attack, or someone's was stranded adrift in space. Best not to throw yourself into the fire before recognizing the flames stood over your head.

"Lieutenant, care to join us on the bridge?" Vreenak looked back to Farooqi. If the nature of the call required a science officer Farooqi could respond from either location, but he'd offer him the chance to relocate if he preferred.

<<Tag Farooqi, Scott>>
FSF Seraphim

Postby The Gnostic » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:42 am

Chief of Security
Holodeck 5, USS Hope-A

He melted into her embrace and gave her a hearty kiss. Her explanation was adequate, and sincere in intention. Despite the high-strung tension, they had grown as a couple. "Thank you for sharing with me, Imzadi," tasting the sugar on her lips. "I don't think we need therapy," he decided aloud, "I'll cancel the appointment with counselor Fitzpatrick." This involved private things now, beyond the realm of shrinks and quacks.

She clearly did not share his ambition for power, but had shared her innermost feelings in a way he knew he could trust. "We both must be careful, in our careers. If you find fellow patriots of the Federation, let me know. But I know I am stronger, and sharper with you by my side." He held her hand firmly, confident with her in his destiny.

<tag Brett>
The Gnostic

Postby The Gnostic » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Asst. Science Officer & Helm
Stellar Cartography > Bridge,
USS Hope-A

Captain Vreenak wrote:Lieutenant, I appreciate the initiative, however the Helm is on the bridge.

Smiling sheepishly, the Lieutenant had a flashback to his early days as an overeager Ensign. "I'm sorry, sir." It was a simple matter to reroute basic navigation to the cartography lab on this modern marvel; but the captain was correct. The bridge crew was functioning well, so protocol demanded the ship be controlled from there.

He almost demurred, wishing to join the poker game he nearly invited the captain to. But the action was now happening, and since Romulan officers worked longer and harder than their Starfleet counterparts, it was good to make an impression on the captain, that he was working with the finest crew available -- regardless of race.

Captain Vreenak wrote:Commander, lay in a course and engage....
Lieutenant, care to join us on the bridge?

"Yes, sir," he followed in tow. He studied the man's weary face. Command had aged him.

"Captain," he requested, following him into the corridor. "May I ask you something?," after the senior man pressed the button for the turbolift.

"Do you believe in Sha-Ka-Ree?"

He stared at the stoic commanding officer. His intention had been to take the Captain's mind off the troubling fact that they had left Marisol on the planet Ildius for medical treatment. But now that he thought of it, the man had already lost one wife and was touch-and-go for a moment with another. It may not have been the wisest thing to ask at this time.

"I don't mean to trouble you, sir. I'm just curious as to the similarities on the Vulcan beliefs of the afterlife, and Romulan ideas. You both are related after all."

"Do you believe we have a ka?," he asked with a curious stare. He found comparative religion fascinating, especially in a xeno-anthropology context.

<tag Captain Vreenak>
The Gnostic

Postby Brett K Reese » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Dr. Brett Reese
CMO
USS Hope

The Gnostic wrote: -=/\=- M. Sergeant Rostham -=/\=-
Chief of Security
Holodeck 5, USS Hope-A

"Thank you for sharing with me, Imzadi,"... "I don't think we need therapy,"... "I'll cancel the appointment with counselor Fitzpatrick."

"Thank you," she replied not raising her head from his chest. "I appreciate your concern and one day we may need his services, but we are still getting used to relationship and just need a little time to get used to sharing our lives."

The Gnostic wrote: -=/\=- M. Sergeant Rostham -=/\=-
Chief of Security
Holodeck 5, USS Hope-A
"We both must be careful, in our careers. If you find fellow patriots of the Federation, let me know. But I know I am stronger, and sharper with you by my side."

"And I with you. I will be right here by your side. I support your ambitions and will go wherever they may lead." She stepped back and looked him in the eye, "But remember I do have my own ambitions too," she said with a sly smile.

<tag Rostham>
Brett K Reese

Postby FSF Seraphim » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:24 am

Captain Vreenak

Vreenak looked over at the Lieutenant as they left Stellar Cartography. "Please," the Captain responded curious what was on Anam's mind.

Sha-Ka-Ree? A curious topic to bring up. Especially given its nature and point of origin. "In Romulan I believe you refer to Vorta Vor. Every society has its own metaphysical explanation for the origin of all things," he agreed. "I'm not well versed in the Vulcan myths, but I'm sure there is a great deal in common between the two. At least any depiction of it before Surak." Science and Engineering took up all of his time leaving little for plumbing the depths of history and common ancestry. Vreenak knew of a few key items -- as any children given a proper education would -- though certain topics had been... avoided by most Romulans, he had a way of hearing them regardless. Not all Romulans were thrilled at the idea of having anything in common with Vulcans.

As they stepped up to the turbolift, Anam's next question caused Vreenak's lips to arch in thought. "A 'ka'? Something outside of our physical and ephemeral existence, Lieutenant?" A soft grunt followed the restatement as the turbolift doors parted to admit them. "Bridge," he ordered absently. "Perhaps. I believe it is possible to obtain that state. I admit I am less clear on whether every creature inherently transitions to it."

Vreenak paused in silence for a moment before he looked back over at the Lieutenant. "I am not a philosopher, Lieutenant, but I believe every person should appreciate every moment. If there is something 'after' you will have no regrets; and if there is not you will have lived a full life."

"What are you thoughts on this?" Having gone at length now, the Captain was curious what might have brought up the topic now and if nothing else where Anam stood on the matter. It was difficult coming up with new viewpoints on your own; conversation brought about new ideas even if it took time.

<<Tag Anam>>
FSF Seraphim

Postby The Gnostic » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Chief of Security
Holodeck, USS Hope-A

Brett Reese wrote:I will be right here by your side. I support your ambitions and will go wherever they may lead... But remember I do have my own ambitions too.

He held her hand, and her gaze and kissed it. It would be impossible without a strong woman by his side. "I support you in all your endeavors as well," he assured.  

He took a seat by the oak coffee table, and took a deep breath before confessing to her.

"My love, I must tell you something. I wasn't sure when was the best time. I now recall something before... my past life in Zahara..." He thought back to the painful flashback of the 23rd Century. A fire blazing, red uniforms, the bridge of a late century starship-- an Excelsior? An Ambassador-class?

"I wish I remembered more. I only know, I was in Starfleet before." He knew vaguely of his nature as a time-sensitive being. He could tell when he was in the wrong timeline, when the quantum signature of this universe was different than the one he was supposed to be in.

They had been through many universes together. Imzadi, Owen, Talha, Marisol, Calvin/Calmest, Anam, Janelle & Amelia-- Blackthorne was the anomaly of course. He was dead in most timelines.

"I think I was there," he said wistfully, reaching into his memory. "At the beginning of the Federation."

Unable to add to or describe his experience more, he returned to what they originally began the conversation on. "I've saved up 300,000 credits for the house on Risa. And I'll speak to the XO regarding a larger crew quarters. We're both respectively department heads, we could use the space."

He kissed her cheek. "I was going to head to the Bridge to speak with Commander Scott. I will bring up the room assignment as well." He rose and touched her hair. "Do see when your next vacation is. After this mission, let's go to Risa for two months." He kissed her one last time, before calling for the holodeck arch.

<tag Reese>
The Gnostic

Postby The Gnostic » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Jr. Science Officer & Helm
Lift --> Bridge, USS Hope-A

Captain Vreenak wrote:I'm sure there is a great deal in common, at least any depiction of it before Surak. ... A 'ka'? Something outside of our physical and ephemeral existence? Perhaps. I believe it is possible to obtain that state... but I believe every person should appreciate every moment. If there is something 'after' you will have no regrets; and if there is not you will have lived a full life. What are you thoughts on this?

The CO was generous with his attention on the turbolift, but the bridge opened up to them and the Lieutenant knew that they'd only have a moment or two before returning to their respective duties.

"I do believe in the katra, sir, but like you, captain, I also espouse that, You only live once. Thank you for the clarification, sir," he nodded, and went down to the dismiss the Trill ensign seated at the conn. Taking his post, he mused, That went well. The Romulan captain wasn't so icy when you give him the chance.

<tag Bridge>
The Gnostic

Postby FSF Seraphim » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:04 pm

Captain Vreenak

Vreenak nodded to the Lieutenant before they stepped onto the bridge. It had been a weighty subject that might deserve more time when they weren't on duty, if it was something of interest. He was a man of science, but that did not preclude something beyond the physical. Even the Romulan government had encounters with energy-based lifeforms. It was as simple as devising the means that they lacked as a society; though there might be some philosophical cautionary tales about unlocking such mysteries en mass. All the same, the subject didn't rub Vreenak the wrong way. Hopefully Anam wouldn't be too disappointed in his Captain's lack of depth in spiritual matters, however. As Marisol would have told him the Captain spend a great deal of time tinkering and devising constructs.

As he took center the Captain listened to the ship's status before he nodded toward the conn. "Lieutenant, set a course at warp eight for the broadcast." He paused to to look over at Scott. "A long journey ahead of us begins with a single step close to home." A little detour before encroaching on the edge of known space. What lay beyond was certain to be as fascinating as their time in the Delta Quadrant; though hopefully not as trying on the soul--or katra. With his attention forward again, the Captain lifted his chin, "Engage."

<To Be Continued>
FSF Seraphim

Postby Brett K Reese » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Dr. Brett Reese
Chief Medical Officer
USS Hope

The Gnostic wrote:"Do see when your next vacation is. After this mission, let's go to Risa for two months."

"Computer save and end program." The familiar black and gold grid appeared as she exited the holodeck.

"Computer Reese breakfast 1 and a coffee regular," she ordered as she entered her office. Since her unexpected conversation with her husband she missed breakfast. Taking her eggs and toast and coffee to her desk, she mulled over Rostham's aspirations. "I too would like to one day have command of a ship. Discovering new unknown medial issues to cure," sipping her coffee. "But right now I have to care for the health of this crew." With that she finished her breakfast while reviewing the days medial records before the patients arrived for their physicals and checkups.

<Tag everyone>
Brett K Reese

Previous

Return to In-Character Roleplay