S01E02: "Reflections"

Where the crew of the Hope post in-character posts.

Re: S01E02: "Reflections"

Postby The Gnostic » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:03 pm

-=/\=- Lieutenant Anam Farooqi -=/\=-
Science Officer & Helm
USS Hope-A

Captain Vreenak wrote:Bridge, this is the Captain. Adjust course toward the signal on sensors.

"The computer confirms it's a distress signal, but is still analyzing the pattern of its source, Captain." He sent a request to Engineering to boost power to the sensor array.

"Captain, if I may," he said, looking up but still working his fingers on the console. "I know you're a staunch supporter of new life and artificial intelligence and such." Pausing to turn to the Big Man, he remained seated in his swivel chair. "But I'd like there to be some restrictions on the Messier hologram." He tried to hide any tinge of racism against photonic beings. "He is a valuable addition to the crew, but he intruded on me during a date on the holodeck recently." He bit his lip, telling himself Christie didn't like him anyway. "I took it in good stride, but then he made innuendo about a threesome or something." He gulped, nervous at the thought she might have liked the hologram more than he. "I'm as inclusive as anyone else on the crew, sir, but I realized later, I wasn't okay with the way he did it."

He hated to waste the captain's time, but if the CO was going to issue edicts about the rights of sentient life on the ship, he might as well hear of its consequences, and inform the person-of-light of his responsibilities.

<tag Vreenak>
Last edited by The Gnostic on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gnostic

Postby The Gnostic » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:18 pm

-=/\=- M. Sergeant Rostham -=/\=-
Chief of Security
Holodeck, USS Hope-A

Rostham walked past the clearing, into the cabin, the crunch of pine cones and twigs giving his presence away.

Dr. Brett Reese wrote:Hi... I thought you were on duty?

He smiled, and kept his distance. "Hi" was as cold a reply you could greet your lover. The irony was apparent. But here the secret would end.

"Darling," he grinned. "Like you, I am now the head of my department, and can take breaks as I wish." She was famous for her naps.

He put a jar on the table. Opening the vacuum seal, he wafted the aroma of freshly-roasted coffee under his nose, and walk to the grinder on the counter behind him, but opted for the pestle and mortar instead. Old school was what he liked.

"We need to get an ice box," he said casually, smashing the cold stone against the concave of the bowl. "I'm serious about stopping eating replicated food, we need to buy fresh and cook most of the week." The roasted round beans cracked under the pressure of his crushing. "I don't mind if you replicate the ice," he conceded. "Maybe we can use the runoff for a real shower."

As he heated the water for his own brew, he took out two glasses, some evaporated milk and sugar. "You know how I feel? About jumping ten centuries into the Space Age?" He stared down at her intently. "I hate it," he declared, nostalgic for the medieval times of the Zahara reality.

"We have not gone forward, but backward." He looked out at the prime oaks in the window, knowing they were really in the black of space. "People are soft, unskilled, and most don't seem to know why they're here or why they do what they do." He poured the pulverized grinds into the sieve, as the coffee pot waited for the boiling water. "We've learned to travel the stars, but forgotten how to socialize and make food over fire."

Pausing for a breath. "I'm not knocking the heroism of Starfleet's best and brightest, some of whom are aboard this ship." Once the water hit 100 degrees centigrade, he poured it into the glass pot, the water rushing and heating the oils which made it taste acidic. "I prefer a cold brew, but knowing you..."

He walked over to his wife with the steaming hot glass. She was sipping her own drink, but it was almost done now. He offered a drink, then placed it by her. Leaning on the counter of the kitchen island across from her, he pulled out the blue bottle he found in her CMO office, kept hidden from him all this time.

"I bought a house on Risa," he said looking into her voluptuous eyes. "But before we move there, I need to know what this is." He hoped she would not force him to do a spectral analysis. Husband and wife ought to have more trust in each other than that.

<tag Brett Reese>
The Gnostic

Postby Brett K Reese » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:57 pm

Dr. Brett K Reese
CMO
USS Hope

MSgt Rostham wrote:"Like you, I am now the head of my department, and can take breaks as I wish."

"Okay," picking up on his sarcasm. "I just wasn't expecting anyone. I'm always glad to see you," she said rubbing his arm as he ground his coffee.

She took a seat at the island and listened as he vented his frustration at the weakness of the current century.

MSgt Rostham wrote:"I'm not knocking the heroism of Starfleet's best and brightest, some of whom are aboard this ship." Once the water hit 100 degrees centigrade, he poured it into the glass pot, the water rushing and heating the oils which made it taste acidic. "I prefer a cold brew, but knowing you..."

"Thanks," she said accepting the steaming up. She blew and took a sip flinching at the bitterness. "That'll wake you up," She smiled not knowing that her good mood would be short lived. Before she could say anything else he verbally attacked.

"I bought a house on Risa," he said looking into her voluptuous eyes. "But before we move there, I need to know what this is."
His tone dripped disdain.

"First, why were you snooping in my office. Second, it's just a flask a friend at the academy gave me as a gift one birthday. If you must know it has whiskey in it. I just stuck it in my desk several weeks ago when I was working late getting reports done. What's the problem? Don't you occasionally drink? And I wasn't keeping it from you," her anger starting to show in her voice. "I didn't know I had to get your permission for anything," she said putting the mug down hard spilling the coffee on the counter. "I realize you are centuries older, but you are not my father and if you feel you are then we have a bigger problem than my taking an occasional drink of real liquor and our eating replicated food." She stared him down her anger seething. How dare he question her like a child. She is a grown woman and can do whatever she damn well pleases. "And another thing," she said standing and getting closer to him her voice lower and deliberate. I got along just fine without a man for years and I can do it again." She moved to the porch, squeezed the rail as she stared out at the mountains and tried to calm down.

Tag
Leigh Rachal - LT Brett Reese, MD, CMO, USS Hope, Star Trek: Renaissance
Brett K Reese

Postby FSF Seraphim » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:04 pm

Captain Vreenak
U.S.S. Hope, Stellar Cartography

The Captain's eyes shifted from the display toward Anam as he spoke up on something unrelated to the on-going investigation. He knew? Evidently someone other than his wife had read a few technical papers since their return from the void. Subspace physics had been a specialty, but other fields had come to his attention when they'd been stranded. One did happen to be certain electronic-based forms of life; which in part had made this one of the best ships for a photonic lifeform to crew.

Vreenak wasn't altogether prepared for the direction of Anam's complaint, however. Messier had intruded on a private holodeck program? That was not what lifting the restrictions had been for. "I see." He turned back toward the display for a moment to keep the mental examination from being plainly evident. It was only a second later he added, "Thank you for bringing it to my attention, Lieutenant. I will make sure the Ensign is aware of personal boundaries between ships' personnel." His dark gaze shifted back toward Anam with a slight nod. No, intrusions without very good cause we're appropriate sans invitation.

"It appears you may have coordinates," Vreenak announced after a soft sound drew his attention back to the console. His brow furrowed a bit. "Enough to set a course." Not perhaps pin-point accurate, but enough for a star system.

<<Tag Anam>>
FSF Seraphim

Previous

Return to In-Character Roleplay